• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maledict

Yup. It's infuriating reading and hearing that "If I vote Lib Dem, I might as well vote Tory." Like nothing that's happened to this country since 2015 has been as bad and destructive as the Lib Dems rowing back on tuition fees.

If you're a white, middle class young person, student or some just out of uni the tuition fees thing probably *is* the worse thing that's directly happened to you. You don't care about sure start, hospitals, benefits cuts, etc etc because they are all things happening in principle that won't impact on your day to day life.

Not excusing it, just trying to understand why the tuition fees issue is still such a a huge thing to some people. Because of them it's one of the biggest policy impacts the national government has had in their lifetime.

TimmmV

Fair points, especially on feeling rejected. It's why Labour/Lib-Dems should be out front about supporting/chasing youth. One area where the SNP has excelled, hence the figures for youth SNP/independence support in Scotland.

But ultimately, yeah, even if the parties do seem alike you need to use your vote and pick the best of the bunch. If you'd like to argue no point, you have to at least accept no vote = 51% in favour of your opposition. A vote, 49% in favour of your opposition. The tiniest of margins of favourability, but times that by the millions of people like yourself who decide "nothing worth voting for" and that translates into a lot more than 1~2% "worth".

As much as voting is an individual affair, it's a collective responsibility and a collective result. At times majorities can be stopped on the slimmest of margins, for example.

I absolutely agree. If you want to be listened to then refusing to vote isn't the way to go about things, end of story.

But I also remember what it was like being a teenager and feeling patronised with the "lazy" argument - I don't think its really fair or helpful to actually addressing the problem

Meh. I've been following politics for decades, and as a former young activist I'm tired of coming up with excuses why young people don't vote. The sheer truth of the matter is we're lazy and don't think it matters. We get quickly outraged at something we don't like, but forget about it a week later. We could radically reshape the country if we all voted, but we never do.

Old people have all the examples above. And yet they still vote. And you can guarantee that the twenty year olds who aren't voting now will be voting in 40 years time. It's the curse of democracy - the people who have to live with big decisions the longest are the ones least interested in doing anything about it.

No, sorry I disagree, especially with the idea that Old voters are ignored as a demographic - the idea of chasing the grey vote surely disproves this

...so you voted Green, you know they are anti-royals and want the UK out of Nato right?

If only this was more mainstream in the UK :(

Kate Hoey has a master of Photoshop on her team.

What's wrong with this picture?

C_Xrx70XUAATK42.jpg

Answer:
The Lib Dem candidate, George Turner, has been 'shopped out. Or, rather, only his torso. They forgot to remove his legs.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Yes, I agrere with you up to a point, and if there is a green candidate, I will vote for them. I can't vote labour this time and I won't vote LD after what they did before, however, you havee to remember that spoiled votes ARE counted and it is one of the few acts of civil disobedience open (which are legal).

Just FYI I voted Green in the local for the second time running. And yes, you're right, there can only be a ground swell if there are people - like me - who vote for them.

They are counted, but they aren't cared about. There's no difference to the final count between me going into the booth and writing FUCK THE SYSTEM across the paper with a big marker and someone accidentally crossing into a second box because their hand slipped. It gets viewed for about a second by the counting officer who discards it, checks off a spoilt ballot and moves onto the next slip.

Don't spoil your ballot.

Real Hero

If you're a white, middle class young person, student or some just out of uni the tuition fees thing probably *is* the worse thing that's directly happened to you. You don't care about sure start, hospitals, benefits cuts, etc etc because they are all things happening in principle that won't impact on your day to day life.

Not excusing it, just trying to understand why the tuition fees issue is still such a a huge thing to some people. Because of them it's one of the biggest policy impacts the national government has had in their lifetime.

Yep, it was my first election and I voted Lib Dems just as I was going into uni. It was defining a betrayal. Of course I recognize people have to 'get over it' but I'll always associate the lib dems with it.

So this grand strategy is to absolutely ensure he has no chance at leading by contributing towards the narrative that will result in a massive Tory majority which, among all the shit their usual policies will bring, will also allow them to manage the one chance we have at the Brexit negotiations, and then hope that in the next five years Labour find a new Labour leader than will turn it all around.
Great plan. Can't wait to see how that one turns out!

If Corbyn was anywhere near winning an election none of this would be a problem. As it stands it's not merely a narrative, it's a fait accompli

TimmmV

Kate Hoey has a master of Photoshop on her team.

What's wrong with this picture?

Answer:
The Lib Dem candidate, George Turner, has been 'shopped out. Or, rather, only his torso. They forgot to remove his legs.

I have a lot of reservations about the Lib Dems still, but I really hope you guys manage to get rid of her

Its a shame Gisela Stuart quit before getting to see the same happen to her in the GE too :(

Edit: I would add the same about my MP (Graham Stringer) too, but hes in such a safe seat that there shouldn't be any risk for him

Yup. It's infuriating reading and hearing that "If I vote Lib Dem, I might as well vote Tory." Like nothing that's happened to this country since 2015 has been as bad and destructive as the Lib Dems rowing back on tuition fees.
Oh I have more problems with the Lib Dems than just tuition fees, that's just easy to point out as an example of them being massive opportunists.

No my problem with them extends to the fact that they are basically ideologically the same as the Tories on the economy.

Maledict

Oh I have more problems with the Lib Dems than just tuition fees, that's just easy to point out as an example of them being massive opportunists.

No my problem with them extends to the fact that they are basically ideologically the same as the Tories on the economy.

The tories are campaigning on putting a penny on income tax to fund the NHS? Gods Theresa May really has shifted the party leftwards!

Not sure what you mean by this - when we say we'd raise income tax by a penny to put entirely on the NHS, you this is something the Tories would also do - or do you mean basic free market capitalism principles?

Maledict

I absolutely agree. If you want to be listened to then refusing to vote isn't the way to go about things, end of story.

But I also remember what it was like being a teenager and feeling patronised with the "lazy" argument - I don't think its really fair or helpful to actually addressing the problem

No, sorry I disagree, especially with the idea that Old voters are ignored as a demographic - the idea of chasing the grey vote surely disproves this

Sorry I should have been more precise. Absolutely agree the old vote is chased because it votes. My point re the same circumstances was in reference to numbers 1 and 3 on your list, not the middle one. Everyone has to contend with the idea that parties are too similar, or the safe seats make voting pointless. There's nothing unique about that for young people, and yet they are the group that doesn't turn out.

I'm listening to the speech right now by Corbyn and it is a bit Trump-esque. Swap "rigged system" for "crooked Hilary" for example. :

Oh Lord, that's it?

Only one is referring to his belief that there are injustices in British society, and the other was harping on about an email scandal.

Only one is referring to his belief that there are injustices in British society, and the other was harping on about an email scandal.

Sweeps to party leadership on wave of enthusiasm from a disillusioned and radical membership despite strong resistance from the party establishment.
Primary comfort zone appears to be campaigning to large rallies of hyper enthused supporters who rail against the mainstream media.
Has an ideologically extreme ex-journalist adviser said to be highly influential and pulling the strings behind the scenes.
On record as being a consumer of internet 'news' sites that have sprung up to cash in on the unquenchable thirst of his supporters for conspiracy theories and fake news that they enthusiastically share on social media.
Promises to tear down the 'rigged system' and rails against media elites.

DavidDesu

it pains me to watch Labour's platform launch.

because i 100% agree with it.

its such a shame that we are so far from having this vision come true.

you may "hate" corbyn but i think many would be hard pressed to disagree with what hes saying here.

As mentioned already he was maligned by the mainstream media (yeah the MSM! ;) and he never stood a chance since then. From the moment he stood for party leader the media mercilessly mocked his style of left politics. When he got closer to winning that contest it was literally day after day non stop humiliation, yet he still won the leadership contest. Ever since it's been a never ending drip feed of anti Corbyn, anti left bashing in the papers especially but Keunsberg and co on the tv too. Politics of the left, the non Blairite kind of actual leftist policies are deemed not worthy, silly, not viable. When people are told that day in day out then it's no surprise Labour have slid and slid as the electorate believe they're a joke. Self fulfilling prophecy, no matter what you think of Corbyn and how he's conducted things.. even if he'd been absolutely on point and not made one error Labour would still be sliding. Moderates who would actually agree with his vision of Labour now feel like the party is unelectable and too compromised to vote for. Why? Mainstream media (yeah that is a catch all term but pretty much the media most people see on a day to day basis, the vast majority of which is trending very much rightward).

Real Hero

Sweeps to party leadership on wave of enthusiasm from a disillusioned and radical membership despite strong resistance from the party establishment.
Primary comfort zone appears to be campaigning to large rallies of hyper enthused supporters who rail against the mainstream media.
Has an ideologically extreme ex-journalist adviser said to be highly influential and pulling the strings behind the scenes.
On record as being a consumer of internet 'news' sites that have sprung up to cash in on the unquenchable thirst of his supporters for conspiracy theories and fake news that they enthusiastically share on social media.

I'd be fine with this he could actually win like trump

hodgy100

you think corbyn is the same as trump in that he represents the rigged system rather than opposes it?

Id be very happy if corbyn won wouldnt you?

This is a bit of a stretch. Corbyn's been a politician for however many years, there's no comparison.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The tuition fee scandal is one of the Tories greatest moves. Increase the fees while getting another party to take the blame for it. And the most amazing thing is that they managed to dupe university (i.e. the educated masses) with this!

Morat

Banned

This is nonsense and I suspect you know it.

Number45

While it is likely you'll be in an area that should vote Labour to oppose the Tories, some of England is best to actually vote Lib Dems http://www.tactical2017.com
It shows my constituency as Lab/LB TBC. Interesting that in the linked spreadsheet it suggests that they're waiting for the data from local elections to update the recommendation but I thought that it was far from guaranteed that local and GE votes follow suit?

Kwame120

Banned
The tuition fee scandal is one of the Tories greatest moves. Increase the fees while getting another party to take the blame for it. And the most amazing thing is that they managed to dupe university (i.e. the educated masses) with this!
The Lib Dems did that all to themselves, really. The young adult vote tends to be more idealistic, and were directly screwed over by the Lib Dems reneging on their pledge. While most can understand the politics of why it was increased, being a coalition and all, it doesn't excuse the act that a promise was broken. The young adult vote just seems to be the only vote that actively punished a party for u-turning on a key stance.

TimmmV

Sorry I should have been more precise. Absolutely agree the old vote is chased because it votes. My point re the same circumstances was in reference to numbers 1 and 3 on your list, not the middle one. Everyone has to contend with the idea that parties are too similar, or the safe seats make voting pointless. There's nothing unique about that for young people, and yet they are the group that doesn't turn out.

Yeah, everyone ultimately gets affected the same and has to deal with the same flaws in the system.

I just don't like the "young people are lazy" justification

Spuck-uk

Banned
That's a fairly weak premise tbh. The conservatives can say the same - it's about how you ask the question and frame the response.

What was telling was when the parties were attached to the policies, the responses were much more negative toward Labour policies.

TimmmV

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...est-surrey-members-attempt-unseat-jeremy-hunt

Labour has expelled three senior members in Surrey for trying to unseat the health secretary, Jeremy Hunt, by forming a progressive alliance with local Greens and Liberal Democrats to unite behind an NHS doctor standing against him.

Kate Townsend, the South West Surrey party secretary who stood in last week’s local elections, and Steve Williams, a party member for 46 years who sits on the constituency party’s executive committee, were notified of their expulsion this week.

Robert Park, a Labour member for almost five decades who chaired the Surrey Fabians and ran the regional remain campaign, has also been expelled.

Townsend and Williams have been leading figures in the campaign for a progressive alliance between local parties, where the Conservative cabinet minister has a 28,000 majority.

SMH at this shit. Labour are a joke at the moment

Wants to ban all Mus--wait
Is a billiona--hold on
Is basically the embodiment of capitali--uh

Hmm

It's almost like you're being massively disingenuous?

Maledict

Yeah, everyone ultimately gets affected the same and has to deal with the same flaws in the system.

I just don't like the "young people are lazy" justification

If you can come up with something else I'd be all ears, I've been working in a political environment for a long time now and it's the one constant. Nothing seems to work, and eventually you just reach the point where when one single group doesn't participate, despite how much is on the line and how much it affects them, that you have to write them off if you are a political party looking for votes.

Even Obama only saw a minor increase in the youth vote in 2008, and he was the most inspirational, young candidate of our lifetimes running against a wildly unpopular party that had dragged the country into war on a very young person orientated platform. Yet the youth vote only went up from 17% to 18%.

When a candidate running on a campaign tailored to young people, who is themselves far younger and different to every other politician, still doesn't see a big change in young voters - what will?

Spuck-uk

Banned
I understand this too, but it's a fact of history that the only way to deal with someone like Corbyn is to crush him and his cult from the inside. The only thing worse than the outcome of this election is the outcome of the next one he leads us into.

o_O

Well that's certainly one of the more bizarre statements I've heard.

I mean Corbyn isn't actually Trump in a facemask. There's comparable bits of their own rises to power, though, and they're both railing against the establishment as their rhetorical device.

I like that tactical2017 site. I counted about 210 seats which either tell you to vote Lib Dem or have us as one of the options TBC. And 66 seats list us as the best party to stop the Tories. :D

Audioboxer

The symptoms can be variations of laziness/apathy, but the cure is very rarely to approach with scolding/belittling and simply calling lazy. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that is the point you're making, with which I agree.

As someone studying psychology, it is often inconsequential to an extent to tell someone what they are suffering from/engaged with/doing. What is important is finding ways to handle the symptom or behaviour, and then proceed onto possibly changing it. Not mercilessly beat someone over the head with their diagnoses. Meaning no, it's not very persuasive to just round up the youth and scream at them for being lazy, even if some of them are. That's a challenge for the political parties and leaders, but it can easily be surmounted. Youth will listen and get engaged if you approach them in the right ways.

Too often it does appear like politics is just old people in old parties fighting and arguing with other old people in old parties.

Encouraging tidbit here (but it's for Scotland and 16-17) ~ http://www.syp.org.uk/syp_elections...le_are_engaged_in_politics_now_more_than_ever

For the UK parties ~ http://www.if.org.uk/wp-content/upl...-people-vote-at-the-2015-general-election.pdf

TB2HGSX.png

^ What worries the Tories about youth

i8n7Iam.png

^ What lets the UK down, as the youth don't show up like the old do, who routinely vastly vote for Tory

Second source

There is a correlation between age and likelihood of voting. Only 50 per cent of men aged 18-to-24, and 39 per cent of women, voted in 2010's general election. Among those aged 55 and over, 76 per cent of men and 73 per cent of women voted.

Only 16 per cent of 18-to-24-year-olds are certain to vote in an election, while 30 per cent in this age category told the Hansard Society that they are certain not to vote.

Voters aged over 75 are more than four times as likely to be ”absolutely certain to vote" than voters aged 18-to-24

In a ComRes survey in February, only 60 per cent of 18-to-24-year-olds said they cared who won the coming general election.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...election-2015-explained-turnout-10224278.html

It shows my constituency as Lab/LB TBC. Interesting that in the linked spreadsheet it suggests that they're waiting for the data from local elections to update the recommendation but I thought that it was far from guaranteed that local and GE votes follow suit?

More people come out for the GE, but at the very least you can count on those that went out for the locals to be there at the GE. Therefore a springboard for the outcome often starts in the shape of the locals and changes depending on what the people do that join in this time around. You can take a gamble that there is a lot of shy Tories waiting in the wings for the General.

Wants to ban all Mus--wait
Is a billiona--hold on
Is basically the embodiment of capitali--uh

Hmm

Doesn't like Jews
Is actually a millionaire

What's clause 1? (Too vague to Google sorry)

And fuck Labour or fuck the expelled MPs?

Clause 1 compels any Labour member to support the Labour party's efforts in putting Labour MPs into westminster. Campaigning directly for another party's candidate is an instant sacking. Literally the first rule in the book.

Theonik

The Lib Dems did that all to themselves, really. The young adult vote tends to be more idealistic, and were directly screwed over by the Lib Dems reneging on their pledge. While most can understand the politics of why it was increased, being a coalition and all, it doesn't excuse the act that a promise was broken. The young adult vote just seems to be the only vote that actively punished a party for u-turning on a key stance.
Half the LibDem MPs at the time rejected the rate increase btw.

Well it's not that amazing. Degrees are two a penny these days, and having one is no real indication of intelligence with respect to anything other than the specific field it's in.

Intelligence and "education" were sometimes sneeringly conflated by some trying to push a "Brexit voters are thickos" narrative around July last year though.

*Splinter

Clause 1 compels any Labour member to support the Labour party's efforts in putting Labour MPs into westminster. Campaigning directly for another party's candidate is an instant sacking. Literally the first rule in the book.
Ah, that's a bit "party over country" for my tastes.

Thanks for the explanation though

Spuck-uk

Banned
The tories are campaigning on putting a penny on income tax to fund the NHS? Gods Theresa May really has shifted the party leftwards!

Lib Dems ran last time on a pro-austerity campaign and budget deficit reduction, which if not identical in practice, bore great similarity to the Tory plans.

Vince Cable is one of the most right wing members of their party.

Lib Dems ran last time on a pro-austerity campaign and budget deficit reduction, which if not identical in practice, bore great similarity to the Tory plans.

Vince Cable is one of the most right wing members of their party.

You've been talking a fair bit of bollocks in here but that's up there with the worst of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom