• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF |OT2| - We Blue Ourselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

MLH

Watching the budget, ah the ol' conservative mindset: cut taxes for big business and living standards for the poor will improve!
Lowering Corporation Tax, going from 20% to 19%. That's fine it's not like the Government has a deficit to cut...

Watching the budget, ah the ol' conservative mindset: cut taxes for big business and living standards for the poor will improve!
Lowering Corporation Tax, going from 20% to 19%. That's fine it's not like the Government has a deficit to cut...

To 18% in 2020!

Walshicus

Trickle down! Infinite tax!

Fucking Tories...

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Replacing Uni maintenance grants with loans is really bad policy. It explicitly punishes poorer people by discouraging university to them. There are already abundant concerns about the size of the loans, this is so, so much worse.

Nicktendo86

National living wage. *BOOM*

George needs to just drop the mike and sit down.

Replacing Uni maintenance grants with loans is really bad policy. It explicitly punishes poorer people by discouraging university to them. There are already abundant concerns about the size of the loans, this is so, so much worse.

I get where you are coming from but since upping the fees the proportion of students from poor backgrounds have increased, whereas they have actually gone down in Scotland. Is there any evidence to suggest that these measures do actually put people off?

Par Score

I warn you not to be ordinary. I warn you not to be young. I warn you not to fall ill. I warn you not to have a low paid job. I warn you not to have children.

Oh, and now a bullshit not-Living Wage "living wage". Fucking hell.

kharma45

I don't understand how it discourages them. They're not going to start paying it back until they earn £21K and even then it's a tiny repayment per month. It's the best loan you'll ever get.

I warn you not to be ordinary. I warn you not to be young. I warn you not to fall ill. I warn you not to have a low paid job. I warn you not to have children.

Oh, and now a bullshit not-Living Wage "living wage". Fucking hell.
It'll be £9 an hour and while not perfect, this will help a huge number of people.

I guess the corporation tax reduction offsets the cost for those companies.

I don't understand how it discourages them. They're not going to start paying it back until they earn £21K and even then it's a tiny repayment per month. It's the best loan you'll ever get.
And this.

My parents aren't wealthy but I'm getting bugger all from the government. This will put off people who don't really want to go, but those who do are in no way restricted.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Need to see more detail on the costs, but I thnk it is a reasonable balance to shift things from working tax credit towards better wages. The drop in corporation tax is clearly a sweetener to help cover that additional cost.

Working tax and family tax credit is horribly bloated and hopefully they eventually scrap the entire thing, if universal credit sorts itself out.

Even for higher earners. Even if I can afford to pay to out my kids through university, I'm going to tell the to take the loan because the overall costs are so low. I'd rather put that money into the losing them buy a house or something

MLH

Recap of main measures:

- New National living wage next year - raising to £9/hr by 2020

- Working-age benefits frozen for 4 years

- Child tax credits limited to 2 children from 2017 for new claimants

- Corporation tax cut to 19% in 2017 & 18% by 2020

- Maintenance grants to be scrapped and converted into loans from 2016/17

Edit: better link http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/business-33383657

Par Score

It'll be £9 an hour and while not perfect, this will help a huge number of people.

£9 in 2020. £7.20 next year, which is already lower than the £7.85 that the Living Wage is calculated as for this year.

It's better than the Minimum Wage for sure, but calling it the Living Wage is bollocks.

SMEs are getting a reduction in both corporation tax and NIC to offset the rise in the minimum wage.

Yes
Ah ok, that seems a fair balance. I was initially against lowering corporation tax but this seems to be ok.
£9 in 2020. £7.20 next year, which is already lower than the £7.85 that the Living Wage is calculated as for this year.

It's better than the Minimum Wage for sure, but calling it the Living Wage is bollocks.
The point is that this is a step in the right direction. This is good news for all, and honestly, this budget on a whole seems to be pretty fair.

Lucius86

Banned
The new car tax proposals makes complete sense. It needed updating thanks to modern technologies.

Harriet Harmond is bloody useless. She's talking nonsense. I thought the Budget was pretty sensible.

kitch9

Banned

Hmmm, how is it bollocks?

Lets say a standard 35 hour week is employed thats £315 a week, or £1365 a month, now take these people out of income tax altogether and it makes sense in most places apart from London.

Stacey

Banned
Give with one hand, take away with another.

Wages increase as tax credits are reduced, Well done Mr Osbourne, you'll fool the population with that spin.

Par Score

Also, the current Living Wage calculations were based on the existence of the Working Tax Credits, the ones that just got gutted, so this is really robbing Peter to pay Paul territory.

Oh, and this budget is a super-double-extra-fuck-you to anyone under 25 of course.

Gotta phase that shit in, man.

Anyway, sounds pretty nifty, for the most part. I'm not a fan of blanket limits on welfare, though. If you think people shouldn't get so much, then cut welfare. But to put a limit on the total take is to say "Well, you do quality, and therefore we do think you need it, but we aren't going to give it to you." Which to me is ridiculous.

Also, the current Living Wage calculations were based on the existence of the Working Tax Credits, the ones that just got gutted, so this is really robbing Peter to pay Paul territory.

I'm not sure this is an entirely appropriate circumstance in which to use that idiom.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
National living wage. *BOOM*

George needs to just drop the mike and sit down.

I get where you are coming from but since upping the fees the proportion of students from poor backgrounds have increased, whereas they have actually gone down in Scotland. Is there any evidence to suggest that these measures do actually put people off?

I've said before that the raise in fees turned out generally better for poorer students due to grants etc. It is worse for those in the middle. However this is because the grants provided ameliorated the costs, providing financial security for poorer students whose parents can't cover costs (remember: the loan usually does not cover accommodation at university, let alone food).

The raise in fees alone (and the extra potential raising of fees now announced) have a huge psychological effect on people wanting to come to uni, especially poorer ones. This is a hard thing to measure but anyone who works in recruitment/WP as I do knows that it exists. Many just feel priced out of it. Especially those whose parents are poor and those whose families have never had uni-goers. Now that what were previously grants have become loans this is only worsened. Really, it is bad for everyone - middle class parents still have to pay, poor have to pay more.

Postgrad loans are good though.

I've said before that the raise in fees is generally better for poorer students. It is worse for those in the middle. However this is because the grants provided ameliorated the costs, providing financial security for poorer students (remember: the loan usually does not cover accommodation at university, let alone food).

Psychological issues aside, it sounds like the actual amount that the students will be receiving won't be changing, just that more of it will be in the form of a loan and less as grants. This obviously increases their debt but, in terms of security and day-to-day spending whilst a student, nothing will change.

kharma45

Even for higher earners. Even if I can afford to pay to out my kids through university, I'm going to tell the to take the loan because the overall costs are so low. I'd rather put that money into the losing them buy a house or something

I wish my parents had done that instead of clearing my loan at the end, the loan repayments weren't anything to worry about. Still, it's nice knowing I don't have that debt.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Give with one hand, take away with another.

Wages increase as tax credits are reduced, Well done Mr Osbourne, you'll fool the population with that spin.

And? He clearly said he wanted to move from low wage, high welfare to higher wage, lower welfare. This is helping that rebalancing. I think that is a fair approach and while many families won't be a lot better off, they won't be massively worse off which was the fear.

Spookie

So what's the loss of a 25 year old on the new minimum wage, compared to a 25 year old on the previous minimum wage propt up by tax credits?

Edit: I've worked it as about £35~ loss a month come next year.

MrChom

Psychological issues aside, it sounds like the actual amount that the students will be receiving won't be changing, just that more of it will be in the form of a loan and less as grants. This obviously increases their debt but, in terms of security and day-to-day spending whilst a student, nothing will change.

I used to think like this. The whole privatised student loans book is bunk. We've been shuffling deckchairs on it for far too long. Centrally fund the universities, make them free to British citizens, dump the student loans book overboard, and fund it from income tax....not only are you taking out a layer of bureaucracy but due to the fact graduates (on average) earn more you're effectively directly taxing them.

I used to think like this. The whole privatised student loans book is bunk. We've been shuffling deckchairs on it for far too long. Centrally fund the universities, make them free to British citizens, dump the student loans book overboard, and fund it from income tax....not only are you taking out a layer of bureaucracy but due to the fact graduates (on average) earn more you're effectively directly taxing them.

I prefer it how it is. You seem to acknowledge the "effectively directly taxing them" as a good thing, but what we have now is an actual direct taxing of them. It seems that a lot of people who opposed these changes also supported a graduate tax, but again, that's effectively what we have no, only with the poential to pay it all off (And the government picking up the tab centrally if you do not). So again, to me, it seems like the best all round solution; No one is (economically) stopped from going due to the immediate availabilty of money, the more you earn the more you pay back, people who don't benefit from a university education pay much less towards it and there's also the unspoken-but-I-think-actually-quite-true virtue that it forces people to think a little more about the prospect of going to university and what's actually best for them. That said, the psychological impacts that have been discussed in this thread shouldn't be ignored. But they're "only" one aspect of it - in general, I think the policy is a good one.

Daffy Duck

So the new income threshold for tax credits, how does that actually translate to what you get and also when does it come into effect?

Edit: It appears it's only the threshold for working tax credits which has been from circa £6,000 to circa £3,000.

pulsemyne

So what's the loss of a 25 year old on the new minimum wage, compared to a 25 year old on the previous minimum wage propt up by tax credits?

Edit: I've worked it as about £35~ loss a month come next year.

And yet every fucking newspaper will miss this point by a mile.

Oh and there's also the little fact that most minimum wage jobs are to people under the age of 25. Wages tend to increase as you get older. As per usual this is all smoke and mirrors.

Cub3h

Banned
I was dreading the worst, this budget seemed remarkably less cruel than it could have been. Very glad they're not taxing disability benefits, raises in minimum wage and tax limit sound good too.
No child tax credits for >2 children seems sensible, I find that the current system punishes people who are holding off having kids until they are in a better financial situation for ones that are having kids willy nilly.Infinite growth is not sustainable and we should do everything to encourage replacement level of birth, but no higher.

I'm sure it's not a popular stance here, but I'm also very glad we're sticking to 2% for defence. Especially with Russia sabre rattling it gives off a good signal, plus it's money spent on British people, skills and technology.

I'm sure it's not a popular stance here, but I'm also very glad we're sticking to 2% for defence. Especially with Russia sabre rattling it gives off a good signal, plus it's money spent on British people, skills and technology.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I guess, it just leaves a bad taste in the mouth when EVERYTHING else is "We have to cut billions".

Plus I'm a lefty, and you know, fuck warmongering.
while i work for a defence company ¬_¬

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom