• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Irn Bru is not made from girders. I checked the ingredients. It's mostly just carbonated water and some flavouring.

I've refused to drink it ever since.

I've recently taken Irn Bru as my fizzy tipple of choice. Shit is delicious. Goes really well with a slug of amaretto as well.

sohois

My dad won the pools once. He had the cheque for 58p framed up on the wall.

We had a milkman, but eventually the threat of birds pecking the lids off or the convenience of supermarket milk put an end to it. I remember window cleaners turning up randomly at our house too. There seemed to be no regular schedule, they'd just be there one day to clean the windows. They also seemed to refuse to take money at the time, they'd turn up at some unannounced point in the future to collect it later. I never really understood why.

I helped out our Milkman on his rounds a few times, while a lot of houses would have containers to put the milk in to stop the birds, some places would just have rocks that you place on top of the milk to stop the birds getting it. Surprisingly ghetto solution for what was one of the richest areas in the country.

My family still gets milk delivered to their home. They have a window cleaner as well. Still quite old fashioned really.

Any London gaffers who like beer, do yourself a favour and try any of the Camden Town Brewery's range. Wheat Beer is tasty, Hell's Lager is a great alternative to the big brewery pish and the Ink is a nice alternative to Guinness. A few pubs have got them on draught and even more pubs sell them bottled.

My day has been made by finding out that the brewery is a ten minute walk from my house and they're opening a bar there soon with unfiltered Hell's lager, I can't fucking wait.

You should try being a gentleman of a lerger stature then. I'd say I'm chunky rather than wobblingly obese and I cannot find clothes to fit me anywhere, it's a real shitter. T-Shirts are all too short and always have a bit of belly or arsecrack showing, I tried on a godamn XL hoodie in Primark and couldn't get it over my arms! Trousers in most shops will stop at a 38 and I'm a 40, it's total bullshit.

I see people way fatter than me all the time, I want to stop them and ask where they shop for clothes. But that would involve talking to randoms...

You could try ordering from the US. I ordered some large size t-shirts from tee fury the last time they had a grab bag sale and the things are long as shit and big as fuck.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
We still have the window cleaner. Does a good job once a month for a fiver, stuck with him, but yeah he or his wife or son will come around at some random point within the next week or two to collect.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
You could try ordering from the US. I ordered some large size t-shirts from tee fury the last time they had a grab bag sale and the things are long as shit and big as fuck.
Ugh, I did this also. Ended up with a t-shirt that would comfortably fit two of me at the same time. Ridiculous.

SmokyDave

533622b.jpg

533611b.jpg

Accept no substitutes.

Meadows

Banned
I get some weird old fashioned sasparilla from Lancashire at my local deli. Fucking awesome, but £1.75 a bottle (500ml) means I get it like once every 2 weeks max.

Cindres

Fentimans is the shit, Jones is also boss but the place that used to sell it back home stopped stocking it, can you get it online?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Looks like the start of a broadband speed war, with Virgin doubling theirs. Good to see, though I'm not a Sky customer at present. Inherited a talktalk package from the previous tenant. At least I'm not on Be Broadband anymore.

Cindres

Tesco metro near mine in Newcastle does fentimans. Not Jones though, may have to see if they do it at the bigger one in town after my lecture.

sohois

What's old fashioned about window cleaners? Are dirty windows the new hotness? :p

That was just a general comment about how my family live, rather than about Window Cleaners. And I'm not saying they're old fashioned just because they get milk delivered either, there's lots of small things. They still buy all their meat from the local butchers & all their bread from the local bakery; they don't use a lot of candles but if they did you'd be damn sure they would frequent the local candlestick makers.

kharma45

Looks like the start of a broadband speed war, with Virgin doubling theirs. Good to see, though I'm not a Sky customer at present. Inherited a talktalk package from the previous tenant. At least I'm not on Be Broadband anymore.

Only downside to Sky's fibre is the poor upload speed as initially it's only going to be 2 Mbps up.

Apart from that it's a no-brainer alternative to BT Infinity if you can't get Virgin.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Just found out I've got two tickets to go watch The Million Pound Drop being filmed on Friday. Now instead of shouting at the idiots on television, I'll be shouting at them from the audience. Winner.

FreeMufasa

Have Boybands (and girls to an extent) made a comeback?

I was flicking through the music channel and almost every channel had a group of douchey looking guys singing about first loves. Not this shit again.

Yami

Have Boybands (and girls to an extent) made a comeback?

I was flicking through the music channel and almost every channel had a group of douchey looking guys singing about first loves. Not this shit again.

Seems to be just those smug wankers from One Direction. And maybe The Wanted.

Wankers, the lot of 'em.

Mastadon

Banned
Seems to be just those smug wankers from One Direction. And maybe The Wanted.

Wankers, the lot of 'em.

I'm in an office full of 35 year old+ ladies. Wand Erection came on the radio earlier and I swear to god they screamed like little girls. Embarrassing.

Successful trip to manchester just now.

Got two burritos from taco bell and went back for a third for later.

Saw a jacket I looked at in hollister pre Xmas for £180, picked it up today for £40

But I did get brain freeze having a slush

Meadows

Banned
Successful trip to manchester just now.

Got two burritos from taco bell and went back for a third for later.

Saw a jacket I looked at in hollister pre Xmas for £180, picked it up today for £40

But I did get brain freeze having a slush

When I went a couple of days ago me and the missus skipped on Taco Bell, and went to a place called Pancho's Burrito Bar or something to that effect in the Arndale Market.

397011_2772427548506_1192536764_32320713_1458799656_n.jpg

Blew Taco Bell away, £5 for a doc-off burrito (fucking amazing), some really nice tortilla chips and a can of coke.

The entire Arndale Market is fucking amazing, food from all over the place (and some micro brewery shiz if you're into it) as well as really good fresh produce. I'd recommend you all check it out, my new favourite place in Manchester.

I know posting pics of my GF tends to offend Chinner, but I only had one of her eating it

edit: this is the place http://www.manchesterconfidential.co.uk/Food-and-Drink/Mexican/Panchos-Burritos-Arndale-Reviewed

CHEEZMO™;34715272 said:
People don't have window cleaners? We've always had one.

No you don't - it's shit these days.

I think they changed it :(

Agreed they ruined it same with orangina, which was so awesome when I was younger, now tastes like vomit

Bleepey

When I went a couple of days ago me and the missus skipped on Taco Bell, and went to a place called Pancho's Burrito Bar or something to that effect in the Arndale Market.

397011_2772427548506_1192536764_32320713_1458799656_n.jpg

Blew Taco Bell away, £5 for a doc-off burrito (fucking amazing), some really nice tortilla chips and a can of coke.

The entire Arndale Market is fucking amazing, food from all over the place (and some micro brewery shiz if you're into it) as well as really good fresh produce. I'd recommend you all check it out, my new favourite place in Manchester.

I know posting pics of my GF tends to offend Chinner, but I only had one of her eating it

edit: this is the place http://www.manchesterconfidential.co.uk/Food-and-Drink/Mexican/Panchos-Burritos-Arndale-Reviewed

Manchester seemed pretty cool. About 3 comic shops in a 5 minute area seemed quite lively, the bus system and presence of trams was weird though.

Yami

I'm in an office full of 35 year old+ ladies. Wand Erection came on the radio earlier and I swear to god they screamed like little girls. Embarrassing.

Doesn't surprise me as one of them just broke up with a very smangable 35 year old...

As much as I hate them, they get pussy delivered to them on tap. Farkkkk.

Meadows

Banned
Manchester seemed pretty cool. About 3 comic shops in a 5 minute area seemed quite lively, the bus system and presence of trams was weird though.

yeah, it would be easier if there was a tube like London but the city centre is so concentrated and compact that its all within walking distance, or failing that you could go on one of the 3 free bus routes that take you around the city center. The trams are for commuters and suburbanites really (they go to the satellite towns - Bury, Bolton, Altringham etc, or other districts of the city like Media City or Salford)

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Yeah, the trams are really only useful if you're going out of the centre to one of the satellite towns, as Meadows says. They're pretty expensive, break down a lot and don't run anywhere near as frequently as they claim to. I've lived and worked all over the city, and I grew up in Sale, so I've spent most of my life cursing the Metrolink. The bus system is fine though for the most part, especially the shuttles which you can't turn your nose up at for free.

Compared to other city centres, Manchester really does pack everything into a fairly small area - everything's concentrated just around the Arndale. There's Market Street and Deansgate which have a decent amount there, but outside of that things tend to drop off. The area you're describing with the comic stores (up Oldham street) is good, around that way is the Northern Quarter which has a lot of the "trendier" bars and that. Still some decent places to eat there though. As you say everywhere in Manchester is pretty much within walking distance so it's not really worth having a tube system there so long as you can get the bus/tram to the centre.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/397011_2772427548506_1192536764_32320713_1458799656_n.jpg[/IMG

[spoiler]I know posting pics of my GF tends to offend Chinner, but I only had one of her eating it[/spoiler]

edit: this is the place [url]http://www.manchesterconfidential.co.uk/Food-and-Drink/Mexican/Panchos-Burritos-Arndale-Reviewed[/url][/QUOTE]

I went around there today to look at Panchos funnily enough and it smelled funny so I left lol

To be fair Taco Bell is my favourite for the Volcanoe sauce they put on, puts them above barburitto and Chipotle, Moes etc that I tried in the states. Sure its like comparing Mcdonalds to the gourmet burger place but the sauce is just awesome for me

Chipotle

Barburrito (one at Picadilly Gardens, one on Deansgate) is pretty good too. Not sure if it's a national chain or a Manchester thing but I was amazed when it first opened. Also has every kind of tobasco sauce which is pretty cool.

Meadows

Banned
What's the dish on the top left? and the stuff on the rice?

the top left is a small container with sugar syrup in for my drink (although I think you meant the top center one which is Salt and Pepper Tofu) and the stuff on the rice is braised pork belly, shaoshing rice wine sausage and a liver filled variation of the other sausage, really nice.

It was from a place called Fu's in Chinatown which has a load of footballing memorbilia (kind of a football sports bar/chinese cafe/restaurant). They have a great English language menu too (most of these places have all of the good/authentic stuff in Chinese language only, helps to have a chinese speaking friend/S.O.) and are cheap as owt.

Meadows

Banned
Manchester Northern Quarter chosen as host for 2014 Hipster Olympics

NewsManc said:
The Northern Quarter, regarded as Manchester’s premier wanker-saturated area, has been chosen as the host for the 2014 Hipster Olympics. It is only the second time the competition has been held in Britain after previously being taking place in a prick infested warehouse in Shoreditch in 1998.

Events at the prestigious games include who can tattoo the quirkiest small moustache on their index finger, owl-knitting, most colourful handlebar ribbons on a bike, high-dive beard toss, 100 metre irony and Noah and the Whale hunting.

Manchester City Councillor Edmund Kevorkian is pleased that the insufferably trendy area has been chosen to host the games. “The event will bring tourism and economic prosperity to the region, so naturally I’m delighted. I obviously don’t frequent the area myself as it’s full of insufferable cunts and I don’t want to spend my time drinking Tizer out of a teapot whilst having a Russian film projected over my face. But many of these kids seem to love that type of complete twattery, so fair enough.”

However, many local residents do not share the same positivity as Councillor Kevorkian. Local resident Gilroy Barista lives just behind one of the Northern Quarter’s hundreds of cupcake shops and is the bassoonist and part-time 8-bit keyboardist in Marcel and the Otters, a ‘performance collective’ who play theme tunes from 90s Nintendo video games in a Hungarian-folk style in round rooms. “It could completely ruin the area” he said whilst blowing bubbles out of his stupid bubble blowing child’s pipe. “At the moment we’re free to race our penny farthings and take photographs with old Polaroid cameras in peace. I’m worried that an event of this size could bring things like Ed Sheeran to the region.”

Northern Quarter venue Common is putting on a celebration event on Tuesday 7th February 2012 to celebrate the region getting the games. The evening will include the showing of a 1968 Lithuanian film through a kaleidoscope and chess played with pygmy marmosets instead of pieces. Tickets can be obtained by ringing the venue and requesting them in Juaneno, an extinct Uto-Aztecan language last used by Native Indians in 1934 but is still used in certain branches of Urban Outfitters.

Lord Sebastian Coe KBE said “What in fuck’s name are you talking about?”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom