• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
My missus likes one of the mascots. But that's because it's named after the hospital her brother was born in, not due to the design.

In toy form they're a bit nicer than the awful metallic, but it's not great. Badly yet over thought.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
I'll be in Amsterdam this summer too, Kent. Did somebody say GAF meetup?!

27 August to the third of September I will be in Amsterdam partying hard. When you going over yo?.

I hope to squeeze one more holiday this year to get me to my goal of three holidays outside the UK a year. I fucking love travel.

Breaking bad is out eh I think my bird got a hold of it earlier.. I il watch that when I get home tonight. I'm working so hard guys on a cash money mission these next few weeks

Kentpaul

Not my scene, I'm happily in love.

Girlfriends going up to dundee for the weekend, looks like i will be drinking a few bottles of buckfast over the weekend and chilling on my PC (after work of course, I'm working like a madman making mad stacks for my travel next month.)

Since i'm working so dam much the next few weeks i will make a system that allows me to only have 4 hours sleep (extending my day by 4 hours pretty much xD) I will test my system tonight by staying up till 4am and waking up at 8am and see how tired i am on day one.

Not had any caffeine today so i would like to see how easy life is without it. I'm also back into Films in a big way

Funny Games 7/10

Clear Skin 9/10

Trying to get a movie a day back under my belt..

also reading skag boys. The lads smacked out there heads in Swanney's gaf blasting the doors music in the 80s FTW. I'm enjoying this book a shitload more than i did trainspotting. Rentons description of smack reminds me of most drugs with the everything is going to be OK vibe. Fucking great book fella's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffr0opfm6I4

No phone or tablet screen is as good for books as e-ink is.

My S3 is.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Someone from LOCOG was at the bank today and I overheard a conversation that sales of mascot soft toys and fees from appearances as schools and sports clubs was well behind expectations. Apparently they wanted to generate over £70m worth of revenue from the mascots, right now they are saying they will be lucky to hit half that amount.

What a bunch of James Blunts, should have had a Lion and a Unicorn instead of the two one-eyed dildos.

"Appearances are £850 for the two mascots to appear at a community event or multi-school sports day, rising to £1,720 for events requiring an overnight stay, and £2,450 for a trip to Scotland or Ireland. The fee covers the performer, cohort, van hire, and accident liability insurance. LOCOG insist they only charge the appearance cost, nothing more. LOCOG does issue some free appearances to schools demonstrating a commitment to the games, but Doocey says that poorer schools are too busy with students to deal with the paperwork."

Stay classy, Baroness Doocey.
Moar liek Baroness Douchey, amirite?!?!?

Kentpaul

4 hours of sleep a day? thats pretty stupid. and if you're trying to put on muscle it's also counter-productive.

Yeah my alarm went off this morning and i had to turn it off lol (Got 6 hours)

I tried anyway thats the main thing. I'm about to watch a black and white film called The White Ribbon (Same writer/director as funny games) Should be good.

SKINNER!

Banned
"Appearances are £850 for the two mascots to appear at a community event or multi-school sports day, rising to £1,720 for events requiring an overnight stay, and £2,450 for a trip to Scotland or Ireland. The fee covers the performer, cohort, van hire, and accident liability insurance. LOCOG insist they only charge the appearance cost, nothing more. LOCOG does issue some free appearances to schools demonstrating a commitment to the games, but Doocey says that poorer schools are too busy with students to deal with the paperwork."

Stay classy, Baroness Doocey.
Moar liek Baroness Douchey, amirite?!?!?

So the government acknowledges the fact that there are poor and rich schools or is she refering to government-owned schools as poor?

Its a shame that all government-owned schools aren't given equal funding and school/sport equipment. I attended probably the worst high school in Fife and there were pupils who lived next door to that school but studied in a better (and more difficult to get into) government-funded school that was at least 40 minutes walk away. Parents took them by car anyway but still, you got a school next door yet you refuse to go because its crawling with neds? pffft. Place builds character and I managed to get along fine with these - so called - anti-social delinquents (The secret? they just want to be taken seriously and be treated with respect. Oh, only engage with them when they are on their own.). I loved how parents who had kids in other schools were concerned about their kid's safety because of pupils in the high schools I attended. Made me realise that if they were merely "concerned" then technically my parents were shitting bricks and re-writing their wills every morning.

I say its a better school but really it just received more money. While our school received one basketball hoop, the other school would receive 2 full basketball courts. To be fair, my high school WAS a shithole but at the end of the day it's all about the kid's motivation and not about how "prestigious" the school is. Hell, if I can make it out of there then anyone can.

Also, what's the deal with the labels "public" and "private" anyway? I thought public school = government schools and private schools = funded by students fees but it seems that public schools mean private schools in other parts of the UK.

Anybody got any good highschool stories to share?

Lirlond

My highschool was an experimenting ground for the rest of the uk curriculum. We had the fuel zone first, the curriculum for excellence bollocks first.

Also someone choked and died during lunch when I was in third year.

Kentpaul

School sucked yo.

Day 2 with no caffeine.

I love sticking my finger up to people who claim cigarettes and coffee are addictive.

Juicy Bob

Good day UK GAF. I've been meaning to get round to posting in this thread for a while, but, you know, laziness.

Where do you live: Nottingham
Where are you from: Dorset - lived in Australia for five years
University: Nottingham Trent
Sports team of choice: Sauber (F1 team)
Current political party of choice: Was Lib Dems, now I have no idea
Barm, batch, cob or bun: Cob
Favourite (current) UK TV show: Top Gear
Oasis or Blur: Blur

Good day UK GAF. I've been meaning to get round to posting in this thread for a while, but, you know, laziness.

Where do you live: Nottingham
Where are you from: Dorset - lived in Australia for five years
University: Nottingham Trent
Sports team of choice: Sauber (F1 team)
Current political party of choice: Was Lib Dems, now I have no idea
Barm, batch, cob or bun: Cob
Favourite (current) UK TV show: Top Gear
Oasis or Blur: Blur

So have you ever met Smokey? If not, you should!

SKINNER!

Banned
Current political party of choice: Was Lib Dems

sr6C8.gif

like everyone else in uni, you fell for that trap back in 2010.

p.s. Welcome to UK-GAF!

sr6C8.gif

Juicy Bob

So have you ever met Smokey? If not, you should!
Smokey is easily one of my Top 5 favourite Gaffers, but he's too cool for me. I'd just cramp his swag if I ever met him in person.

sr6C8.gif

like everyone else in uni, you fell for that trap back in 2010.

p.s. Welcome to UK-GAF!
Yup. I got burned. Although I was still living in Aus at the time of the election and didn't actually vote myself, I would've voted Lib Dem if I had been here so I feel I have a right to be disappointed too.

Also, cheers! I kind of forgot there was a UKGAF after the whole Community annexation thing. I'll try and be a worthwhile addition to this thread.

Kentpaul

fucking tax number hung up on me because i choose an under 8 weeks thing on the keypad, fucking cheeky bastards.

Rage in spoilers.
MY FUCKING TAX CODE STILL AINT FUCKING SORTED AFTER A FUCKING TAX REFUND FUCK THIS SHIT RIGHT HERE AND NOW I WANT MY FUCKING FULL WAGE FUCK

lol this service does everything in its power to stop you from speaking to a adviser.. wtf is this

Darren870

0 likes, 52 dislikes

Looks like typical American highschool muck. Guess I should count myself semi lucky for not being familiar with the source material to realise how much of a disgrace this is.

Us Americans love to ruin UK sitcoms and movies. It's what we do best....

Cov

Hey UK, passed a lot of time in work reading this thread so I thought I'd post.

Where do you live: Liverpool
Where are you from: Liverpool
University: Liverpool
Sports team of choice:Liverpool FC
Current political party of choice: Labour... if I had to pick.
Barm, batch, cob or bun: Barms/Buns are soft. Cob is like a baguette. ...Whats a batch?
Favourite (current) UK TV show: I haven't watched current UK TV in ages.
Oasis or Blur: Oasis.... (Arctic Monkeys are better though!)

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
So the government acknowledges the fact that there are poor and rich schools or is she refering to government-owned schools as poor?

Its a shame that all government-owned schools aren't given equal funding and school/sport equipment. I attended probably the worst high school in Fife and there were pupils who lived next door to that school but studied in a better (and more difficult to get into) government-funded school that was at least 40 minutes walk away. Parents took them by car anyway but still, you got a school next door yet you refuse to go because its crawling with neds? pffft. Place builds character and I managed to get along fine with these - so called - anti-social delinquents (The secret? they just want to be taken seriously and be treated with respect. Oh, only engage with them when they are on their own.). I loved how parents who had kids in other schools were concerned about their kid's safety because of pupils in the high schools I attended. Made me realise that if they were merely "concerned" then technically my parents were shitting bricks and re-writing their wills every morning.

I say its a better school but really it just received more money. While our school received one basketball hoop, the other school would receive 2 full basketball courts. To be fair, my high school WAS a shithole but at the end of the day it's all about the kid's motivation and not about how "prestigious" the school is. Hell, if I can make it out of there then anyone can.

Also, what's the deal with the labels "public" and "private" anyway? I thought public school = government schools and private schools = funded by students fees but it seems that public schools mean private schools in other parts of the UK.

Anybody got any good highschool stories to share?

Hold up... people get into school in Scotland based on their performance?

I grew up in the Borders. I literally had a choice of two high schools to go to based on proximity to school (out of 9 total high schools in the Borders.)

Do you city slickers have exams to do to get into better high schools or something?

SKINNER!

Banned
Hold up... people get into school in Scotland based on their performance?

I grew up in the Borders. I literally had a choice of two high schools to go to based on proximity to school (out of 9 total high schools in the Borders.)

Do you city slickers have exams to do to get into better high schools or something?

Nah, not performance. It's based on proximity of school and if there is available space. Although, I did know of some private schools that had entry exams. Plus, parents talk to headmasters. Scratch backs etc. I recall a kid I met in 1st year who left when 2nd year started. I saw him at the high street during the xmas holidays and he was like "yeah! My parents couldn't get me into School B in 1st year. There was a opening at the start of 2nd year so I moved". The point I was trying to make was that parents refused to place their kids in a school based on the "proximity rule" and instead will try their best to go out their way to squeeze them into a better even if they don't live close to it.

Chili

Hi UK-GAF.

Where do you live: London
Where are you from: London
University: UCL
Sports team of choice: Washington Redskins.
Current political party of choice: Lib Dems ideologically but open to any
Barm, batch, cob or bun: Bun (because I have no idea what the other stuff is)
Favourite (current) UK TV show: Sherlock
Oasis or Blur: Oasis

Mr. Sam

Hi UK-GAF.

You're good people.

Kentpaul

You mean scientific and medical professionals?

Sure a fag is decent to smoke but it wouldn't rush out and buy a pack.. After ten beers well that's a different story altogether. Cigarette addiction is a mild soccer mum craze. Smokers smoke out of choice not addiction. I believe junkie stuff like benzos and opiates are addictive.. Not a little stick of smoky joy. I believe the Internet is addictive also. I believe and disbelieve a lot of things. To many to post at this time.

Poor self control can't be confused with addition. Jeeze guys

You should set up a 'Book of Kent' Kickstarter. Pledge £5 for a PDF of the book, £10 for a text from the man himself, £15 to meet up for a pint, £20 for a night on the town with Mr Kentpaul himself.

Kentpaul

You should set up a 'Book of Kent' Kickstarter. Pledge £5 for a PDF of the book, £10 for a text from the man himself, £15 to meet up for a pint, £20 for a night on the town with Mr Kentpaul himself.

Set up a kick starter and if it makes over one hundred pound I will write a six hundred Page book regarding my thoughts on various parts of life. It's a dam pitty most of UK gaf are dirty students and not hard working men.

In London. With flu. Blegh.

Take better care of your body ffs, I could not live with a weak immune system.

We should all play a pc game together fellas bring the UK to life il be the k I'm UK you and your self can be the u in UK.

3Sixty

Hi GAF

Where do you live: Southampton
Where are you from: Southampton
University: Unlikely
Sports team of choice: Southampton FC
Current political party of choice: Monster Raving Looney
Barm, batch, cob or bun: Roll. Fuck what you heard.
Favourite (current) UK TV show: Errrm, Sky Sports News?
Oasis or Blur: Neither.

Hi GAF, long time lurker and my account just got activated.

Where do you live: London, moving to Bristol in a couple of months
Where are you from: Preston, Lancs
University: St Andrews
Sports team of choice: Preston North End (feeling like a battered housewife at this point)
Current political party of choice: Voted for the three main ones in various elections. Noone's looking too rosy right now
Barm, batch, cob or bun: Barmcake
Favourite (current) UK TV show: Undercover Boss (Come Dine With Me sometimes...)
Oasis or Blur: Come on, don't make me answer this one!

So yeah, anyone from the south west got advice for a northerner moving to Bristol? Much appreciated, ta

Welcome to all the newcomers in the thread! Hope to see some of you at the next London meet up, looking to be 15th September.

So I have wifi at the castle I'm staying at in Barmouth (yeah that's right a castle you heard me) I can finally catch up with Gaf. Pretty much the same as I left it which is good.

North Wales is amazing. Can't believe I lived in this country for 24 years and never came here.

SKINNER!

Banned
Hi UK-GAF.

Detroit Lions > Washington Foreskins :p

Welcome to UK-GAF!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom