• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Reading comics? iPad 3.
Reading books? Kindle.

There is no place for the S3, it's an also-ran.

What about reading on the move, do you fit a big ass ipad in your jeans pocket ?

Do you walk around carrying a backpack looking like a student ?

SmokyDave

What about reading on the move, do you fit a big ass ipad in your jeans pocket ?

Do you walk around carrying a backpack looking like a student ?

I don't read on the move. If I did though, I'd probably use my iPhone™ given the awesome iBooks™ syncing my bookmarks and everything.

I would rather read a black & white comic on a Kindle, than read it in colour on ANY backlit device, no matter what size.

I wish I could get access to Marvel comics on the Kindle. I'd bite my left arm off for it.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Did I see somebody say Beano? Oh man My grandma used to get me that every week for so long. Beano fan club ftw.

"Hey come for a couple of drinks when I've finished at work" turned into "Hey it's quarter to 11 and I'm microwaving my tea because holy crap where did the time go?" yesterday.

Kentpaul

I don't read on the move. If I did though, I'd probably use my iPhone™ given the awesome iBooks™ syncing my bookmarks and everything.

I find iphones to be like toys compared to my S3, Each to there own though iPhones aren't to bad.

By on the move i meant wipping out the phone when your on the can to read a quick few pages.

I'l need to cut down on my S3 fanboyism before i get hit with a week ban.

SmokyDave

Beano, Dandy, Whizzer, Chips and then later, Whizzer & Chips. My sisters got Look In, Just 17 and Smash Hits.

Just 17 wasn't as hot as it sounds.

I find iphones to be like toys compared to my S3, Each to there own though iPhones aren't to bad.

By on the move i meant wipping out the phone when your on the can to read a quick few pages.

I'l need to cut down on my S3 fanboyism before i get hit with a week ban.
I'm only playing with ya, use whatever makes you happy!

The fact is that smartphones, all smartphones, are fucking awesome.

SKINNER!

Banned
Gamesmaster, Nintendo Official Magazine, the Beano and the occasional Archie comic were the magazines/comics of my childhood. I used to steal my sister's copy of Smash Hits from time to time too.

Oh, and you can't beat reading a good Oor Wullie and Broons annual while on the toilet. When I was abroad as a kid, my mum used to work with a guy who travelled to Glasgow every xmas to see his family and he'd always buy and import the annuals for me and my sister.

EDIT: Wullie would easily knock the teeth out of Dennis the Menace any day.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to feel like a sad twat for saying this but for me as a kid it was always Sonic the comic. Don't you dare try to knock it, that comic series even looking back had some quality writing for the character and world it had. Luckily I left that kind of love there after Sonic Adventure 2006 and waking up to the reality of how bad that character and Sega become.

SmokyDave

Gamesmaster, Nintendo Official Magazine, the Beano and the occasional Archie comic were the magazines/comics of my childhood. I used to steal my sister's copy of Smash Hits from time to time too.

Oh, and you can't beat reading a good Oor Wullie and Broons annual while on the toilet. When I was abroad as a kid, my mum used to work with a guy who travelled to Glasgow every xmas to see his family and he'd always buy and import the annuals for me and my sister.

EDIT: Wullie would easily knock the teeth out of Dennis the Menace any day.

Shit, I'd totally forgotten about Oor Wullie. I think it's because I lost the only annual I had when we moved house as a kid and the trauma is too immense to recall.

Did anyone else read the 'Just William' books as a kid? They were twee as fuck but pleasant little adventures. Much like the Famous Five.

For some reason I never joined the club. Read the comic every week, got the annuals. Even bought older annuals and yet never put my name down for the fan club. A shame.

I signed up when they relaunched the Beano Club at some anniversary (around the time they brought in Bea in to Dennis, I think?), kept renewing and after being there for more years than you probably are target audience of the comic got granted lifelong status. Got the silly gifts, wallet, hat...

Googled to see what it's like now: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-11212686 and... oh.

What a shame. I don't know how I take advantage of my lifelong membership now. :( There's some free Beano VIP membership online, but hey.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Did anyone else read the 'Just William' books as a kid? They were twee as fuck but pleasant little adventures. Much like the Famous Five.

A few when I was very young. I seem to recall listening to cassette tapes of them as well and also a tv series. I was more of a Secret Seven fan.

Juicy Bob

I'm going to feel like a sad twat for saying this but for me as a kid it was always Sonic the comic. Don't you dare try to knock it, that comic series even looking back had some quality writing for the character and world it had. Luckily I left that kind of love there after Sonic Adventure 2006 and waking up to the reality of how bad that character and Sega become.
Mate, StC was quality. I used to love it so much.

Kentpaul

free_deer_hunting_tips_man_with_hand_on_head.jpg

I have caved in, going to see BATMAN tomorrow morning, I am going to see a fucking summer blockbuster, I know i will enjoy the movie but i don't find nolan films rewatchable. So this will be the only time i will enjoy this movie for the rest of my life.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well my true childhood favourite was the Mr. Men.

I think I was on the border since I read a lot of Dahl and Blyton during the infants and then Goosebumps came about during juniors. Then of course Harry Potter came hurtling in.

Suairyu

Banned
I wish I could get access to Marvel comics on the Kindle. I'd bite my left arm off for it.
By the comic digitally at comixology or something then convert it in Photoshop. It's easy.

Once I'd tweaked the settings for Akira to my liking on a sample page, I simply created a batch action and it converted the entire 360-page volume in under two minutes.

Kavanagh

Banned
So a striking eyes having, ass grabbing, clunky travelogue writing, bull running expert curtails my right to use the c word? How very dare he! At least we know he's only paying lip service now.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I read the hobbit as a kid, then lotr, then it was Harry Potter and wheel of time. I now read just about all fantasy.

A good friend of mine is a fan of the wheel of time series. I am just scared looking at the depth of the series though after going through the Dark Tower. That's my favourite story told, you should give that a read.

Qasiel

Sonic the Comic was incredible! Those stories were often really good. I even remember the cheesy "Day in the life of Dr. Robotnik" one they did, which ended with him being caught watching an episode of El Dorado. Awesome stuff!

A few when I was very young. I seem to recall listening to cassette tapes of them as well and also a tv series. I was more of a Secret Seven fan.

Me too, man. Me too. I always thought Jack was going to hook up with Janet. I loved the one where the crims hid a horse in a deaf guys house.

Lirlond

A good friend of mine is a fan of the wheel of time series. I am just scared looking at the depth of the series though after going through the Dark Tower. That's my favourite story told, you should give that a read.

WOT is good, books 5-8 are really slow. But the first three are some of the best fantasy written.

Suairyu

Banned
Sonic the Comic was awesome. Much better than what the Americans got. I had like every issue ever.

Got shit towards the end though as more and more of the strips were taken up by reprints to save money. There're some fantastic interviews online with ex-STC staff like Nigel Kitching about the life of the comic and what was happening towards the end.

WOT is good, books 5-8 are really slow. But the first three are some of the best fantasy written.

I think I'm on 6 or 7 currently. Definitely agree with what you said. I need to finish the books I've got, and catch up on the rest, since the final installments will be released soon.

Meadows

Banned
This is really fucking disgusting:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18900484

It's sad to see what the police can get away with.

It's a bit iffy really. Yes what the PC did is terrible, and he's probably a Jeremy, but a manslaughter charge seems a bit much. I guess there's no other way because he died, but wasn't it the case that be might have died anyway?

Yeah he was pushed to the floor, which is out of order, but that was a 1/1,000,000 thing that happened.

Kavanagh

Banned
It's a bit iffy really. Yes what the PC did is terrible, and he's probably a Jeremy, but a manslaughter charge seems a bit much. I guess there's no other way because he died, but wasn't it the case that be might have died anyway?

Yeah he was pushed to the floor, which is out of order, but that was a 1/1,000,000 thing that happened.
Policeman used excessive force, citizen died. If this had been a regular joe caught on video you can be sure that he wouldn't have got away with it.

Policeman used excessive force, citizen died. If this had been a regular joe caught on video you can be sure that he wouldn't have got away with it.

It was a jury trial, and I would argue members of the public are likely to be less forgiving to the police than to regular citizens. So, I'm going to assume that the evidence presented during the trial made manslaughter an unreasonable charge.

Suairyu

Banned
It was a jury trial, and I would argue members of the public are likely to be less forgiving to the police than to regular citizens. So, I'm going to assume that the evidence presented during the trial made manslaughter an unreasonable charge.
Well, he was found guilty of unlawful killing in an inquest. As it was unintentional, that's kind of manslaughter by definition. It's an odd verdict.

Well, he was found guilty of unlawful killing in an inquest. As it was unintentional, that's kind of manslaughter by definition. It's an odd verdict.

Oh, I'm not denying that it's odd, and this Guardian article certainly doesn't paint a pretty picture of the defendant nor some of the evidence used in his defence. I'm merely saying that the public are unlikely to be sympathetic towards the police ("fuck da police" is an attitude far more widespread than among the nerds of GAF and Reddit), and so there must have been something presented to the jury which convinced them.

Kavanagh

Banned

Kavanagh

Banned
1311626491256.jpg

Something's afoot.

My boss at work and another one of my colleagues complained about the way a policeman treated someone's girlfriend when they were arresting a youth (long story short, the gf was screaming what are you doing as the police were being extremely rough and one of the policemen turned round and chinned her, no warning). At every stage they've basically been pressured to drop their complaint, have been offered various options to stop it going further etc etc. It's almost impossible to get something to stick.

Kavanagh

Banned
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/jul/19/deaths-police-custody-data?newsfeed=true

The facts are correct, but the statistic does not tell the full story (I'd be willing to bet a large majority of the deaths in custody were from alcohol / drugs, for example)

Please note I'm not some 'police defense force', I'm sure the institution is designed to protect itself and its members (often at the cost of justice being served), but I think Kavanagh is coming from a very one-sided viewpoint (perhaps due to the personal experience?)

There have been a few high profile deaths in custody that have resulted in no convictions. As I said in my previous post, the figures don't breakdown to give us a truly accurate picture so we're shooting in the dark to a certain extent but you'd be naive to think that the Police had no hand in any of those deaths.

Meadows

Banned
People going through Benzo withdrawals, having heart attacks, etc etc are likely the cause of the VAST majority of deaths in custody. If you put hundreds of people in cells over the course of 22 years then a lot are going to die naturally because 22 years is a bloody long time, especially considering the type of people that are getting locked up aren't likely to be the 5-a-day, yoga and jogging types.

Kavanagh

Banned
Fair enough. I'm not saying I agree or disagree, I just don't particularly like discussing this topic online.

Fair enough.

People going through Benzo withdrawals, having heart attacks, etc etc are likely the cause of the VAST majority of deaths in custody. If you put hundreds of people in cells over the course of 22 years then a lot are going to die naturally because 22 years is a bloody long time, especially considering the type of people that are getting locked up aren't likely to be the 5-a-day, yoga and jogging types.

You're right, the police couldn't possibly have ever been involved in any wrongdoing.

Meadows

Banned
Fair enough.

You're right, the police couldn't possibly have ever been involved in any wrongdoing.

I'm sure some of those deaths were caused by the police, but I'm also equally sure that the vast majority had nothing to do with the police.

What are you trying to get at Kavanagh? Any bad experiences with the police?

Kavanagh

Banned
I'm sure some of those deaths were caused by the police, but I'm also equally sure that the vast majority had nothing to do with the police.

What are you trying to get at Kavanagh? Any bad experiences with the police?

Some bad, some good, probably the same as most working class men. Not sure why people are eager to paint me as having an axe to grind.

My point is that I find it quite astonishing that a policeman caught on video using excessive force on someone who died a short while later can get away scot free. The fact that a coroner presented with the same evidence can come to a conclusion of unlawful killing is also another reason why this verdict makes me feel a tad uneasy.

Taking his past actions into account too, I think it stinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom