• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

f0rk

Going on my own tomorrow I think :< I have the day off work and I thought it wouldn't be too busy but apparently the school holidays have just started so might be terrible.

Suairyu

Banned
I'm seeing it this Saturday coming with a date.

The buzz for it is really good but then the buzz for The Dark Knight was good too and we all know how that turned out.

Xun

I'm seeing it Wednesday. Good to know I'm beating someone to the punch.

Edit: OH CHRIST SCHOOL HOLIDAYS I FORGOT. Nightmare.
Where abouts are you going to see it?

I'm probably going to see it at Croydon Grants, because fuck the Bromley cinema.

It'll be at least another week before I can see DKR. Just have a lot on my plate at the moment, plus I'm not really in the form for a three hour movie.

Mr. Sam

Where abouts are you going to see it?

I'm probably going to see it at Croydon Grants, because fuck the Bromley cinema.

The Bromley Empire is indeed a shithole. I go to the Greenwich Picturehouse for virtually all my films - though I'll go further afield (normally Leicester Square) to find other stuff.

f0rk

A heavily flawed movie that was inferior to Batman Begins in every way except main villain.

You are way too harsh on a lot of films. It was more memorable for me than Batman Begins, my problem with TDK was it was a bit long and they should have left out Two Face for the next one instead of doing his full arc from beginning to end.

f0rk

I'm honest. If I was harsh, I'd be exaggerating. The flaws in TDK leap out at me.

For your tastes sure. I just think 'we all know how that turned out' isn't a fair statement as loads of people love it.

I think with Nolan films the key is to never rewatch them.
I do agree with this. Inception especially was really boring the second time, a bit better the third. Too much talking about the premise and the directing of the gun fights in the snow was awful.

Suairyu

Banned
For your tastes sure. I just think 'we all know how that turned out' isn't a fair statement as loads of people love it.
Stop taking anything typed in UK-GAF seriously! (unless it's about abortions) Chinner once took things seriously and we all know how that turned out.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
A heavily flawed movie that was inferior to Batman Begins in every way except main villain.

what? BB is ok, but TDK is ICONIC. It's better for that reason alone.

I saw TDKR last night, it was aces. As a lifelong Batman fan I found it to be spot on with characterisation all across the board and it was a satisfying conclusion to the series. It was stressful.

Xun

The Bromley Empire is indeed a shithole. I go to the Greenwich Picturehouse for virtually all my films - though I'll go further afield (normally Leicester Square) to find other stuff.
Have you ever been to Croydon Grants? It's pretty decent, aside from the fact it's in Croydon.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Xun, how long have you been playing the guitar and why hasn't it gotten you laid yet?

I don't know what you mean unless you mean TDK got more mainstream exposure which is true I guess.

I mean there is nothing that captured the imagination so much as Joker's pencil trick, or walking out of the hospital in a nurse's outfit and blowing it up. BB was ok, but even as a huge Batman fan I found it pretty by the numbers and a little silly. TDK was far more engrossing plot-wise, villain-wise and performance-wise all round.

Suairyu

Banned
BB was ok, but even as a huge Batman fan I found it pretty by the numbers and a little silly.
TDK has mobile phones acting as 3D mapping devices. Every mobile phone. And it gets transmitted into his cowl in real time.

And his car blows up and then turns into a bike.

TDK was waaaay more James Bond and silly than Begins.

Also, Batman Begins Batman:
"I am only human. I will scare the shit out of them to make them easy prey, then pick them off one by one."

The Dark Knight Batman:
"RRAWRAWRAWRAWRAWRAWR COME ON YOUR JEREMIES LET'S HAVE IT!!!! ... oh no my suit is slowing me down!"

f0rk

Has anyone been following Evilore's travel thread? I was enjoying it until the last update which is just cringey as fuck.

Suairyu

Banned
Has anyone been following Evilore's travel thread? I was enjoying it until the last update which is just cringey as fuck.
Eh? He scored, and he summarised the touchey-feely bits in one paragraph at the end.

Could have done without the leg wrapping description, though.

f0rk

I don't know, it's just how he goes from feeling all sorry for himself while checking into 5 star hotels to scoping out American looking girls and drinking mojitos. The writing style is starting to grate as well.
Maybe I'm being unreasonable.

Mr. Sam

Have you ever been to Croydon Grants? It's pretty decent, aside from the fact it's in Croydon.

I think the last film I went to see there was The Time Machine. Wait, no, I tell a lie - I saw The Haunting in Connecticut there. Neither were particularly strong movies.

Suairyu

Banned
I don't know, it's just how he goes from feeling all sorry for himself while checking into 5 star hotels to scoping out American looking girls and drinking mojitos. The writing style is starting to grate as well.
I think if I was ill and lonely, I wouldn't be happy in a 5-star either :p

Travelling alone and getting friendzoned left and right is probably disheartening to some degree.

But if you don't like his writing style, you don't like his writing style. Simple as.

Also it hurts to type now on my left hand.

I know someone who really isn't a fan of that Evilore thread.
Is it you?

Oh! Wait! You secretly know one of the girls he hit on?! PLEASE SAY YES

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Nope. I haven't even been following that thread. Will admit when I logged into the IRC room earlier Evil just posted he couldn't get on the flight so I responded "I wouldn't blame them". Now that I've read what actually happened I feel a bit bad.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Hitting the gym tomorrow and il check out the new batman movie for the win. Really need to work on my arms since I have been slacking of the gym just using the cardio stuff. The badass weight room will be my playground for sure

Darren870

Reason being?

Oh and just got back from Batman. Was great. I also was thinking of this place when the S3 ad came on...haha

Kentpaul

The evilore travel thread makes me sad about my own life so I avoid it most of the time lol. The dude does know how to have a good time il give him that. He's probably stoned out his mind in a random Amsterdam club right now.

Musha's right that it's about time he got some action. I was going to make a poll for people to vote on which day they thought it'd finally happen - and I went for day 22, so I was pessimistic!

EDIT: The story's no longer there? Did he realise what a Jeremy he sounded like? I'm annoyed I don't get to read about it :p

Also, speaking of creepy as fuck, the "show us your girlfriend / wife" thread. A bunch of people posting photos of their partners online seeking validation, I just don't get it. Meadows, I apologise in advance as I think I may have seen a post from you there a while back (I like to check it every now and again out of morbid curiosity), did you not think it was weird? It might just be me!

Kentpaul

Gossiping old ladies.. Glad to know I can turn to this thread for the latest events on NeoGAf.

Oh and for the record my awesome phone got commented on twice at the
the house party.. Had to take my phone of charge later on and hide it in my pocket when I caught word of a ex convict being on the way to the party. It sucks ass that all the weekend fun and games are over. It really does suck major ass that it's over. Why does the good times have to end. Fuck god. He has this shit way to even out the good and bad times. We're not clothing god stop ironing us out. Meh I need another beer. Also god is a make believe fellow. I won't go to deep into that In case I get a week or two ban

Kentpaul

Also, speaking of creepy as fuck, the "show us your girlfriend / wife" thread. A bunch of people posting photos of their partners online seeking validation, I just don't get it. Meadows, I apologise in advance as I think I may have seen a post from you there a while back (I like to check it every now and again out of morbid curiosity), did you not think it was weird? It might just be me!

This. I'm not having strangers jerking there Richards to my girlfriend. I'm a pretty open guy but fuck that shit.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Well that's what happened, yeah? I wasn't feeling sorry for myself. I kept having anxiety attacks on the train from Granada to Madrid while I tried to watch some Breaking Bad, like I mentioned. Had to keep pausing it to do breathing exercises. Can't control that, just a result of being isolated and sick for several days and not really having any human contact. I have clinical depression and anxiety, and I'm providing an honest account of the events, so that's why I mention it. It provided for an interesting contrast between the first half of the day and the second half, though, after I forced myself through it and went out and made things happen.

Staying in a nice hotel doesn't make you immune to negativity or immune to life. I only mention that it's a five star because I ended up taking a girl back to my hotel, and I had a different end point of the story in a previous revision but I felt like ending it at the cab. Bringing her back to my swank hotel sort of completed the night, confirmed all the things I had said about myself, and made her think I was James Bond or something ;b. I don't really give a fuck either way where I stay, as you'll notice since I've stayed in a bunch of hostels. Nice hotels are for your woman, not for you. I just so happened to stay at a nice hotel and have a woman that day, a pleasant coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom