• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GJS

got graduation today and got my suit on. think i could almost impress meadows, almost.

I had my graduation on Wednesday, the certificate is so bland and I've never particularly liked my university's logos. I'm certainly not getting it framed, it can stay in an envelope at the bottom of a drawer.

P1040073.jpg

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wow. Even the generic slip they gave out at my graduation ceremony (we got the proper thing later in the post) looked better than that. Could have at least printed it on paper that isn't white.

fuck you guys the opening ceremony is directed by the man who gave us this

and will be a british rock opera

Song choice is rather poor. They've missed out one of the biggest bands England has ever had, and one that promotes the East End wherever it goes. Some gems in that tracklist of course and the fireworks could make it work, but yeah. Its a wait and see on that account.

it's gonna be a self loathing exercise isn't it?

I actually think it'll be ridiculous. One part in particular sounds hilariously awful. I wonder if you'll be able to pick it out when you watch it. I'm actually a massive massive fan of both parts that make that segment up, too. :(

I actually think it'll be ridiculous. One part in particular sounds hilariously awful. I wonder if you'll be able to pick it out when you watch it. I'm actually a massive massive fan of both parts that make that segment up, too. :(

Only thing i've read about it is there'll be "scary" redcoats? Something i find particularly ridiculous considering they've drafted in thousands of soldiers to take up the security of the games, plucked from shore leave and put them in shit conditions with no compensation.

SteveWD40

It's already fizzled out, no point in dumping on it now. He really shouldn't have used hosting Olympic games without disaster as a claim to fame though.

It did pretty quickly, but it was getting silly, with typical Yanks defending fucking everything this guy says and adding in layers of more jingoistic bullshit as they are still bitter that we invented their country, language and the industrial age they seem to have done so well out of.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member

I'm not sure what to expect really. China was epic in terms of scale and co-ordination, not sure we can match that* Regardless of the visuals, I hope it holds up on the audio side as my favourite band composed the original music.

*I'll settle for Boris Johnson jumping through a ring of fire on a tricycle.

daviyoung

Banned
I just linked to one of 00s only great sci-fi films in the post you quoted. Your post: invalidated.

Sunshine is half a good film, and half Hellraiser XII. It says more for sci-fi in the 00s than it does for the quality of the film itself.

We'll never agree on films. That much is obvious.

SKINNER!

Banned
Anyone going out to watch it? I won't be in this evening and wondered if it'll be worth going into a bar to check it out.

Btw, Kentpaul. Proud of you and that fridge.

Mr. Sam

Sunshine is half a good film, and half Hellraiser XII. It says more for sci-fi in the 00s than it does for the quality of the film itself.

We'll never agree on films. That much is obvious.

I'm no fan of Pinbacker but I still don't think he's bad enough to mar a tremendous third act. The final ten minutes of that film are just incredible.

Anyone going out to watch it? I won't be in this evening and wondered if it'll be worth going into a bar to check it out.

Btw, Kentpaul. Proud of you and that fridge.

I'm going out for a friend's birthday, but the pub we're going to does have a large screen so I'm hoping they'll show it, otherwise I'll have to watch it later.

I never saw the Chinese opening ceremony so my standards are pretty low.

daviyoung

Banned
China are basically the Asian UK. An industry focused, hard working, inventive, educationally competent, civil-war mongering, savage beating, exploratory sea-faring race who dominated whatever part of the world their boats landed on.

GJS

Wow. Even the generic slip they gave out at my graduation ceremony (we got the proper thing later in the post) looked better than that. Could have at least printed it on paper that isn't white.

Hah I know right, at least they didn't use cheap paper, it seems to be a reasonably good quality piece of card as far as I can tell.

daviyoung

Banned
In my mind, it's actually the opposite. Everything else in the film is so exquisite that everything which falls below those expectations immediately stands out.

Most of the film is just an Underworld music video containing good looking spacemen, spacescapes and sterile sci-fi sound stages. Once it's time for a story Garland farts and follows through, messy.

SKINNER!

Banned
Currently in Starbucks and someone left a copy of The Sun on the table. I'd feel sooooo bad paying 40p for this crap. No tits on page 3 either because of the goddamn Olympics opening ceremony :(

EDIT: its on page 11 instead. Paper redeemed.

Have fun tonight Musha. Seems that this event has been hyped up as much as the royal wedding last year so there is bound to be at least one place showing it.

Ha! Great Britain vs UAE football on Sunday. That would've been fun to watch if I was still in Abu Dhabi.

Currently in Starbucks and someone left a copy of The Sun on the table. I'd feel sooooo bad paying 40p for this crap. No tits on page 3 either because of the goddamn Olympics opening ceremony :(

You can get that for free on their website, they even have a page360° (which does exactly what it says on the tin)

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I had my graduation on Wednesday, the certificate is so bland and I've never particularly liked my university's logos. I'm certainly not getting it framed, it can stay in an envelope at the bottom of a drawer.

Congratulations, but that certificate is so shit. Brighton should be ashamed

Fuck nationwide, fuck that jobsworth bitch in nationwide. I took in about 20 bags of change just now in my belated lunch break and she started giving me shit about how I can only put in 5 at a time and I would have to come back next week or go to a different branch. What a fucking jeremy. I threatened to close my account and that got their attention, after a few minutes of backtracking and the manager coming out she did it.

I'm seriously considering voting to demutualise in the next round, put the fear of market forces into them and force them to improve. Right now it's just awful, they have a terrible attitude towards customers that no other bank can get away with and they don't offer a savings rate better or worse than other high street banks despite having no shareholders to pay dividends out to.

I'm lucky that I have enough saved with the bank that they would have to fire the employee before they lost me as a depositor, but if I didn't I really would have had to go to four different branches. What a shitty company.

SteveWD40

HSBC have change machines, you do it yourself, it's ace. I took in a massive amount of change (I chuck anything under 20p coins in a Bells Whisky Bottle the size of a toddler and take it once a year, usually about £100).

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck nationwide, fuck that jobsworth bitch in nationwide... What a shitty company.

They're a right bunch of Jeremy's. Threatened my mate with court action, they didn't have a leg to stand on and he called their bluff. They didn't bother turning up to court which is fucking rude.

HSBC have change machines, you do it yourself, it's ace. I took in a massive amount of change (I chuck anything under 20p coins in a Bells Whisky Bottle the size of a toddler and take it once a year, usually about £100).

Yeah, I don't have anything as fancy as a whisky bottle, I just use a shoe box and stick all of my coinage in there, this time around it got to £320. I've been thinking about opening an account with HSBC for a while, I like their HSBC Premier service as it offers free cash withdrawals worldwide and full banking services in any worldwide HSBC branch. I just haven't had the wherewithal to bother changing banks, so much hassle and considering I get half of my annual wages in dollars I have pretty weird requirements, nationwide have been accommodating in that way at least.

How long does it take to accumulate £320 in small change?! I dread to think how much I've lost over the years by ignoring 1p, 2p, 5p, and often even 10p coins. And what do you do? Lump it all in bags and take it to the bank to sort out?

SteveWD40

Yeah, I don't have anything as fancy as a whisky bottle, I just use a shoe box and stick all of my coinage in there, this time around it got to £320. I've been thinking about opening an account with HSBC for a while, I like their HSBC Premier service as it offers free cash withdrawals worldwide and full banking services in any worldwide HSBC branch. I just haven't had the wherewithal to bother changing banks, so much hassle and considering I get half of my annual wages in dollars I have pretty weird requirements, nationwide have been accommodating in that way at least.

I use HSBC Advance, so get some perks (travel insurance, breakdown cover), isn't Premier the one where you need £100k in liquid assets?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Could you explain the mens rea bit some more? I read through it and all I got from that is that they came to the conclusion that, with regards to the mental element, the conditions for intent to menace are unlikely to be fulfilled when the sender intends the message as a joke.

Sure. (but bear in mind I'm doing this from memory!)

The High Court supported the Crown Court's interpretation of the mens rea of the s127 offence as being either (a) intent to menace or threaten or (b) awareness that the message could be taken as menacing or threatening.

That's the same definition as used for grossly offensive messages - and I think it is right for the "grossly offensive" offense.

But the mens rea should be tighter for menace. Probably it should be limited to where there is real intent.

The problem I foresee is with statements that are perfectly innocuous in their true context but might be taken as menacing if they stand alone - and where the person making the statement might well be aware of the possible alternative interpretation, and admit as much under questioning.

Consider some examples:

"I am coming after the Queen" - in the context of a game of chess

"You need to blow up the House of Commons by tomorrow" - in the context of making a photograph bigger for next morning's edition

"I'm going to slay them in the aisles" - in the context of the Edinburgh Fringe

Any of these might be made as individual messages, and any might be taken individually as menacing, none are intentionally so, none should be criminal.

How long does it take to accumulate £320 in small change?! I dread to think how much I've lost over the years by ignoring 1p, 2p, 5p, and often even 10p coins. And what do you do? Lump it all in bags and take it to the bank to sort out?

Oh, ages. I think it's been like 3 years since I last did it. Yeah, count it up and stick it in bags.

I use HSBC Advance, so get some perks (travel insurance, breakdown cover), isn't Premier the one where you need £100k in liquid assets?

I think £50k, but something like that. Now you know why nationwide were desperate to hold onto me as a depositor this arvo when I threatened to close my accounts and liquidate all of my investments made with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom