• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

f0rk

This weekend my internet broke and only just came back. At the same time my PS3 blu ray drive is broken and Steam's 'offline' mode is a piece of shit. I had to go on a run today to keep myself busy!
Also watched a shit ton of The West Wing. I would much rather work in the White House as depicted in this show than work in Westminster as depicted in The Thick of It.

Then the BBC gave me a man lump-in-throat with their Olympic montage.

Suairyu

Banned
I don't know how you have the patience to bother with that kind of crap.
Really I'm just pushing people to say more stupid shit until they get banned. It's actually a really fun process. I have a super-high victory rate. You should see me in the transsexual threads when I bring my A-game.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Can't help it. In a deep argument with someone saying "13 is the age of consent in Spain thus it's okay!"

Without wanting to get into it too much (I don't care enough to make it a long argument :p), cultural relativism plays a big part in these discussions and shouldn't be discounted. Lots of Americans would think England a bunch of lusty paedos for our age of consent. 13 is too young, sure, but I only beleive that because that's what my culture has taught me.

SKINNER!

Banned
Just hearing a Spice Girls song brings back horrible memories of primary school. Girls running around bugging the shit out of boys by singing Wannabe over and over and over..

SKINNER!

Banned
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker has the best soundtrack though.

EDIT: Best soundtrack out of the rest of the animated Batman films.

I'm enjoying Absolute Radio's Spandathon this morning. Some interesting versions of Gold...

So the Olympics is over. I didn't actually think the closing ceremony was too bad, the worst bit for me was Jessie J, Tinie Tempa and Tao Cruz or whoever the hell they are. Got to kinda see all those fireworks from my balcony which was cool.

Back to normal now then :( bring on the Paralympics!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Back to work...

Though I should look on the bright side and consider the Olympic volunteers who woke up today with nothing to do.

Suairyu

Banned
Goddamn my office is like musical chairs. I was just getting comfy in this spot as well. You have to be a major player to keep a seat.
Back to work...

Though I should look on the bright side and consider the Olympic volunteers who woke up today with nothing to do.
jobless crusty jugglers, the lot of them.

SmokyDave

Goddamn my office is like musical chairs. I was just getting comfy in this spot as well. You have to be a major player to keep a seat.

I've just come back into the office after a week off and somebody has moved my cactus.

I'm not working until it's back where it was.

I need that cactus.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I've just come back into the office after a week off and somebody has moved my cactus.

I need that cactus.

I just came back into my office after two weeks off and the lazy bastard cleaners haven't even emptied my bin. No phone messages, a handful of emails... I honestly could have stayed at home today and nobody would notice.

Trying to kick the weed and cigs for a while though so being away from home is good, otherwise I'd get stuck into the routine of skin up -> Final Fantasy Tactics -> repeat. Holiday was fun but weed is too expensive these days by far so I'm going to be grown up about it. Sleeping last night was a challenge with the hot and cold addiction sweats but once I got off I awoke remembering what actual sleep feels like. It's nice.

SmokyDave

I just came back into my office after two weeks off and the lazy bastard cleaners haven't even emptied my bin. No phone messages, a handful of emails... I honestly could have stayed at home today and nobody would notice.
Our cleaners are so shite that I can't tell if they've left my office alone or if they've 'cleaned' it. I only know the cleaners have been if I walk into the bog and bleach sears out my eyeballs.

Trying to kick the weed and cigs for a while though so being away from home is good, otherwise I'd get stuck into the routine of skin up -> Final Fantasy Tactics -> repeat. Holiday was fun but weed is too expensive these days by far so I'm going to be grown up about it. Sleeping last night was a challenge with the hot and cold addiction sweats but once I got off I awoke remembering what actual sleep feels like. It's nice.

Y'know, for the first time in 15 years, I think I'm with ya. I spent most of last week in a cycle of 'skin up -> play MGS on Vita -> skin up' and by the end of the week, I'd really done my own head in. I think I might be slowly coming to the realisation that I need to quit smoking weed (and possibly even cigs). It just doesn't seem worth the 'cost' to my body and wallet. Plus, I haven't remembered any dreams in as long as I can remember and I miss them.

I dunno. Smoking is a huge part of my life and I love it but I can't shake the feeling that perhaps I could be happier smoke-free. I'd certainly be a damned sight richer. With that thought in mind I went and picked up some mountain bike brochures yesterday. Maybe I ought to buy a cheeky little hardtail to tool to work and back on.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Smoking is a huge part of my life and I love it but I can't shake the feeling that perhaps I could be happier smoke-free. I'd certainly be a damned sight richer.

Same here. But if you want to go cold turkey on the fags let me know and I'll join you. Two is greater than one and all that. Plus, all this smoking has buggered up my singing voice - used to be a light clear top tenor, now a growly bass.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Our cleaners are so shite that I can't tell if they've left my office alone or if they've 'cleaned' it. I only know the cleaners have been if I walk into the bog and bleach sears out my eyeballs.

Y'know, for the first time in 15 years, I think I'm with ya. I spent most of last week in a cycle of 'skin up -> play MGS on Vita -> skin up' and by the end of the week, I'd really done my own head in. I think I might be slowly coming to the realisation that I need to quit smoking weed (and possibly even cigs). It just doesn't seem worth the 'cost' to my body and wallet. Plus, I haven't remembered any dreams in as long as I can remember and I miss them.

I dunno. Smoking is a huge part of my life and I love it but I can't shake the feeling that perhaps I could be happier smoke-free. I'd certainly be a damned sight richer. With that thought in mind I went and picked up some mountain bike brochures yesterday. Maybe I ought to buy a cheeky little hardtail to tool to work and back on.

Same here. But if you want to go cold turkey on the fags let me know and I'll join you. Two is greater than one and all that. Plus, all this smoking has buggered up my singing voice - used to be a light clear top tenor, now a growly bass.

Dropping the weed is a million times easier than the tobacco. I'm only bored when I'm sober, but I'm antsy and snappy if I don't smoke. Luckily the physical addiction is shortlived and you feel better after a few days. But still, those are a long few days! Post updates if you're going through with it guys.

And as for cost, that was the last straw for me. I was off work with my wife, we scored £40s worth (just under 4g at super expensive 'high grade' prices that everyone charges now, whatever happened to the £50 Q?) and it was gone by the following evening. What a waste of money! And the worst thing is that since we have tolerance, it didn't even do much by way of effect. Unsustainable. Three weeks till payday pretty much means I can't afford any more anyway, and by then I should be able to hold my inner stoner at bay.

I just think - what is smoking for? For me, it's mostly something to do with my hands and/or mouth. Everything bad in my life stems from putting things in my mouth :p I just need to recognise it and tell my subconscious to go fuck itself. Easy. Right?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

I need that cactus.

Seems last week was the week of choice for taking time off work. My desk was completely untouched. Even the loose coppers are still here.

Also "skin up"?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Seems last week was the week of choice for taking time off work. My desk was completely untouched. Even the loose coppers are still here.

Also "skin up"?

You need to hang out with the naughty kids more mate :D skin up = to prepare a rolled cigarette, usually stuffed with delicious herbs.

daviyoung

Banned
Did half of UK male-GAF have a week off last week? First day back here, been in about an hour, and it's like I never left, why does it feel like that?

Drugs are for mugs. I quit fags 6 months ago. Feels good mans.

3Sixty

I smoke cigars.

They rock.

jlsOhElKWxUdL.jpg

SteveWD40

I am 32 and I have never tried anything stronger than some shitty weed when I was 19. I drink of course so it's not for moral reasons, just never felt like it when I was offered any I guess.

Never smoked as I had asthma as a kid / teen so it felt like grating my windpipe when I inhaled.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I just think - what is smoking for? For me, it's mostly something to do with my hands and/or mouth.

That's exactly why I took up singing along with playing banjo. Personally I love it and it beats smoking, but the general reaction of other people seems to differ. Like, it is OK to sneak outside for a cigarette but not OK to sneak outside to play banjo.

SmokyDave

Honestly, I might well take you up on that. I've never said 'I'm going to quit' before because I've never wanted to. Something lately has changed. I'm going to ponder on it a while longer (as I do with EVERYTHING) and if the feeling persists, it might be quitting time.

Dropping the weed is a million times easier than the tobacco. I'm only bored when I'm sober, but I'm antsy and snappy if I don't smoke. Luckily the physical addiction is shortlived and you feel better after a few days. But still, those are a long few days! Post updates if you're going through with it guys.

And as for cost, that was the last straw for me. I was off work with my wife, we scored £40s worth (just under 4g at super expensive 'high grade' prices that everyone charges now, whatever happened to the £50 Q?) and it was gone by the following evening. What a waste of money! And the worst thing is that since we have tolerance, it didn't even do much by way of effect. Unsustainable. Three weeks till payday pretty much means I can't afford any more anyway, and by then I should be able to hold my inner stoner at bay.
I hate to defer to South Park but the line that Randy once said about weed 'making it OK to be bored' really stuck with me. It shouldn't be OK to be bored.

The cost is something I've been living with for so long that I needed to take a step back and put it into perspective. I've just taken it for granted that 'X%' of my wages went to smoking for as long as I can remember. I had to break out the pad and paper before I could really get a grasp on just how much money I've been burning. It hurt.

I just think - what is smoking for? For me, it's mostly something to do with my hands and/or mouth. Everything bad in my life stems from putting things in my mouth :p I just need to recognise it and tell my subconscious to go fuck itself. Easy. Right?
For me, it's just something that I do. It's as natural as eating or drinking. I always wanted to smoke from as early as I can remember (hell, I started on ten a day before I was ten). I need to convince myself that I don't feel this way and that seems to be slowly happening all on it's own.

I'm worried that I'll replace the weed with beers and balloon up like a man in his 30's tends to do. I've even started worrying about my diet.

Is this middle-age? I'm beginning to wonder.

Lirlond

I once wanted to take up smoking because people where I was working got like 3 or 4 smoking breaks a day. Whereas I got 30 minutes for lunch and thats it.

Luckily I decided that was a shitty idea.

SteveWD40

I'm worried that I'll replace the weed with beers and balloon up like a man in his 30's tends to do. I've even started worrying about my diet.

As you should, I ate like shit for my 20's and was always in pretty good shape, then I hit about 29 and suddenly found that if I didn't work out / eat well I would end up bloated, I never noticed until I saw some pictures one summer about 3 years back and it was morbidly depressing.

Now I hit the gym 4 -5 times a week and am constantly watching my carb intake, cut sugars, upped veg intake. I only drink at the weekends and almost never binge, even started swapping Beer for G&T's on long nights (where beer bloats you after too long).

I am adamant I won't let the "spread" happen, too vain for that shit.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Honestly, I might well take you up on that. I've never said 'I'm going to quit' before because I've never wanted to. Something lately has changed. I'm going to ponder on it a while longer (as I do with EVERYTHING) and if the feeling persists, it might be quitting time.

I hate to defer to South Park but the line that Randy once said about weed 'making it OK to be bored' really stuck with me. It shouldn't be OK to be bored.

The cost is something I've been living with for so long that I needed to take a step back and put it into perspective. I've just taken it for granted that 'X%' of my wages went to smoking for as long as I can remember. I had to break out the pad and paper before I could really get a grasp on just how much money I've been burning. It hurt.

For me, it's just something that I do. It's as natural as eating or drinking. I always wanted to smoke from as early as I can remember (hell, I started on ten a day before I was ten). I need to convince myself that I don't feel this way and that seems to be slowly happening all on it's own.

Is this middle-age? I'm beginning to wonder.

You see, I'm never bored when I'm stoned. There are a million things that I can do. But when I'm sober, those things don't hold my attention like they otherwise would have. I could spend all day with a baggie and my iPad, but I have a hard time playing for more than 15 mins if I'm straight.

I don't know what this means, other than I have a possibly drug induced short attention span, and also that lots of the things we do to distract ourselves are trivial and silly.

I worry about replacing the thc with alcohol too, although I think I should be OK since I really really don't like hangovers. Just stick to spirits if you need to drink though, much less bad for you!

Maybe we're all just growing up a bit? Growing up is shite.

SKINNER!

Banned
I once wanted to take up smoking because people where I was working got like 3 or 4 smoking breaks a day. Whereas I got 30 minutes for lunch and thats it.

Luckily I decided that was a shitty idea.

I used to just head out with my work colleague and he'd light up while I exercised my legs. If anyone asked, my work colleague would say we were having a meeting. That lasted a good 4 months before they approached me and said not to do it again.

SteveWD40

Growing up is shite.

Yep.

I am now bored with gaming, aside from stuff on iOS I just can't seem to muster up the excitement for Guild Wars 2 etc... A few years back I would have been rabid for that sort of thing (after 5 years of WoW from 2005 to 2010) but now I just feel I don't have the time nor do I want to spend evenings at my desk when I work at it all day.

I miss gaming being the centre of my universe :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom