• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Willpower, my man. This body and brain are mine to control. I've been nipping out to chat with the smokers at work to get used to being around cigs. It ain't bothering me...... yet.

I know it ain't going to be easy, but I've quit. That is that. It'll be harder to avoid relapsing on weed than it will on fags (quit weed too!).

Much appreciated, my good lady :)

I am that sad git. I play Farming Simulator 2012 on my phone. Come. At. Me.

I don't need to. You are already dead.

Also, I give it three days before you're out with the smokers and you're all "please let me suck your stinky nicotine fingers. That's not cheating, is it??"

SmokyDave

I don't need to. You are already dead.
Eh, can't argue with that. The smell's a total giveaway.

Also, I give it three days before you're out with the smokers and you're all "please let me suck your stinky nicotine fingers. That's not cheating, is it??"
I dunno. It's too early to say. I've never quit before (in fact, this might be the longest I've ever gone without a cigarette) so I really don't know how I'll be. Far too early to tell at the moment. I'm pleasantly surprised by the lack of physical sensations / symptoms / cravings so far but I know it gets worse over the next fortnight.

We shall see. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. So far I've saved about a fiver, so that's nice.

I dunno. It's too early to say. I've never quit before (in fact, this might be the longest I've ever gone without a cigarette) so I really don't know how I'll be. Far too early to tell at the moment. I'm pleasantly surprised by the lack of physical sensations / symptoms / cravings so far but I know it gets worse over the next fortnight.

We shall see. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. So far I've saved about a fiver, so that's nice.

The physical cravings will have already pretty much passed by now. It's the psychological cravings that will get worse, but only if you let them. If you have the willpower you can do it, strong will, strong mind. Believe in yourself dude, you can beat this!

Do it Dave! I helped my gf quit smoking a couple of years back, and she hasn't looked back and loves how much money she saves now. We kind of keep count and at the end of the year I double whatever she saved and we use it to go on holiday. Last year it worked out to ~ £700 saved for her and we went to South Tyrol for a week.

Mikeside

You'll be fine, mate.

I quit and I actually found it to be fairly easy - even though I still smoke the other thing on most weekends.

All I did was set my expectations one day at a time "I won't smoke today, fuck tomorrow, I'll just do the one day"

I didn't use patches, gum or anything like that. If I can do it, anyone can.

The physical cravings will have already pretty much passed by now. It's the psychological cravings that will get worse, but only if you let them. If you have the willpower you can do it, strong will, strong mind. Believe in yourself dude, you can beat this!

Oh yeah, I still get the "I've just had dinner, would be nice to have a ciggie", "I've just woken up... could sure use a cigarette", "I've seen somebody smoking... WHY. NOT. ME?" moments, but that's easily defeated with a little willpower and distraction. The physical addiction is what can kick your butt and that's pretty much gone within days

Salvadora

My weakness is when I'm drinking. I can't resist following my friends out for a smoke (that's been my downfall in the past).

A hangover is worse than all the symptoms of giving up cigarettes. There I said it.
A hangover is one, Maybe two days max of feeling shit. Quitting smoking always leaves me feeling horribly depressed for quite a while.

Mikeside

Do it Dave! I helped my gf quit smoking a couple of years back, and she hasn't looked back and loves how much money she saves now. We kind of keep count and at the end of the year I double whatever she saved and we use it to go on holiday. Last year it worked out to ~ £700 saved for her and we went to South Tyrol for a week.

Surely it'd be the same amount every year if she's quit smoking?

Edit: FFS WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME? I don't doublepost in ANY other threads and we're on 3 now.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
I love smoking when I'm drunk. It's awesome. Yet I have no desire to puff on the little sticks of pure ecstasy when I'm sober.

SmokyDave

Thanks for all the wise and supportive words chaps and chapesses. I'll keep you updated as I ride this crazy coaster. I promise I'll be 100% honest if I relapse.

Last year it worked out to ~ £700

Yeah, between my cigs, the missus' cigs and my weed, we spend about that
per month

Suairyu

Banned
Just as a warning, a uni mate went cold turkey and it actually gave him an actual heart attack. Doctors actually told him to keep smoking until the heart thing died down. Body doesn't like cold turkey quitting of drugs.

SteveWD40

Suairyu, I think that's far from the norm.

It is.

My friend was a 60 a day man, he would buy cigs before food even when he was skint, he quit cold turkey and hasn't looked at a cig since (this was 12 years ago), he gained weight sure, but isn't smoking...

The key to not getting fat is don't replace fags with food, if you do, make it raw carrots.

It is.

My friend was a 60 a day man, he would buy cigs before food even when he was skint, he quit cold turkey and hasn't looked at a cig since (this was 12 years ago), he gained weight sure, but isn't smoking...

The key to not getting fat is don't replace fags with food, if you do, make it raw carrots.

Raw carrots and a dip of some variety is the best snack ever.

SteveWD40

I eat them with nothing, don't even peel them just bite the ends off. Must be getting through 5 a day (as well as fruit and the like), part of my new "fight the ageing" diet :)

Having read a bit of that 'strict mods' discussion, I think - in the interests of the forum as a whole - Evil should create a small subforum, of no consequence, where every single user is a mod. You can edit posts, delete them, cause all sorts of problems, but as everybody's doing it, it just turns into a bombsite where people vent their frustrations.

The kicker? Kentpaul is made admin of the subforum.

Salvadora

It is.

I'm worried this is happening to me.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm worried this is happening to me.

I think I'd rather be thin and smoke than fat and not.

As it is I'm fat and do/did/whatever/gofuckyourself so I'm shit outta luck.

I find the worst thing about not smoking is the night sweats, especially in summer. As soon as I lay down in bed, BAM, cold sweat. ewwww.

So I just got the (almost) full story in the closure of Studio Liverpool. I can't post it without revealing my source, but I am very worried about the future of SCE UK now. There is a cancer within SCEE, we need Phil Harrison back.

So I just got the (almost) full story in the closure of Studio Liverpool. I can't post it without revealing my source, but I am very worried about the future of SCE UK now. There is a cancer within SCEE, we need Phil Harrison back.

Let me guess, SCEE/Sony has realised how many first party studios they have, they've started to panic at their wider situation, and are looking at cutting their investment in the UK down to a minimum?

Scuderia

So i applied for an IT Apprenticeship with Lloyds Bank, there were 7 vacancies avilable. Had to do an online Numeracy test, which i later found out by email that i passed. Then they invite me to a 'Selection Event' which is now tomorrow.

Anyone know what these usually involve? Or what i should expect?

So i applied for an IT Apprenticeship with Lloyds Bank, there were 7 vacancies avilable. Had to do an online Numeracy test, which i later found out by email that i passed. Then they invite me to a 'Selection Event' which is now tomorrow.

Make sure you show, err, leadership skills.

Juicy Bob

Do what Alonso would do - show intelligence, skill and leadership.

And if that doesn't get the job done, throw a strop until the man from the bank tells the other candidates to move over for you.

Meadows

Banned

Talk about how you aren't a person but a Brand.

Mikeside

Have you seen Men in Black?

lol

They usually just want to see you, see if anyone is a bad fit for the place etc. Just be nice, don't dither all about the place and you'll be OK.

f0rk

I work for Lloyds on placement. It might be different, but the assessment centre is a competency interview (ie give an example of leadership, give an example of teamwork, give an example of when some work went bad for you and what you did etc) and then a 5 minutes presentation that you have ~45 minutes to prepare for on a problem they set. Mine was comparing two credit card and marketing campaigns so you had to do some simple maths in the prep.
There will also probably be some team building ice breaker at the beginning, get involved and don't take it too seriously.
It's pretty standard, don't know if it will apply to the position you're going for but I imagine that's what these kind of interviews are like everywhere.

Where is the job?

Scuderia

I work for Lloyds on placement. It might be different, but the assessment centre is a competency interview (ie give an example of leadership, give an example of teamwork, give an example of when some work went bad for you and what you did etc) and then a 5 minutes presentation that you have ~45 minutes to prepare for on a problem they set. Mine was comparing two credit card and marketing campaigns so you had to do some simple maths in the prep.
There will also probably be some team building ice breaker at the beginning, get involved and don't take it too seriously.
It's pretty standard, don't know if it will apply to the position you're going for but I imagine that's what these kind of interviews are like everywhere.

Where is the job?

Cheers, that actually helps alot.

It's at their data centre near Halifax.

SKINNER!

Banned

Ever been to a dogs & cats rescue home? I'm guessing its kinda like that except without the killing part. well, perhaps emotional killing still plays a part....anywhoo! Just be confident and calm and don't act like a cocky knob. You'll be fine :)

SKINNER!

Banned
Getting in shape is all about motivation at the end of the day. You gotta be in the right state of mind otherwise you'll just end up doing it for a week and then give up. Challenge yourself. Go with a friend to the gym. Create song playlists. Keep a diary and stuff.

EDIT: Man, $130 for a Zelda 3DS in the Buy/Sell thread. At £80 I'd have picked it up if it were not for Nintendo's stupid region locking shenanigans. Such a pretty looking device too.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
elliptical-cross-trainer.jpg

The only cardio device that ain't soul crushing.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

cwpOm.png

The ways of selection are a mystery. Went to one where I was co-operative on the group tasks. Made sure to pull my weight. And above all polite. Basically, not to toot my own horn too much, if it wasn't for me we'd probably not have completed the task. Didn't get through. If you ever ask for feedback they won't give you any. You have to hope they offer it themselves.

My only advise is that if you have a group task make sure you speak up and come up with ideas. But be careful to also listen to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom