• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juicy Bob

Y'know, I often wondered if Korey was actually an anti-US troll. That thread makes me think I was right. He kinda blew his load with that one and made his true intentions known. He was an intentional parody of an ignorant American.
That's what I've often wondered, to be honest. He's far too OTT to be genuine.

f0rk

Y'know, I often wondered if Korey was actually an anti-US troll. That thread makes me think I was right. He kinda blew his load with that one and made his true intentions known. He was an intentional parody of an ignorant American.

Especially that post, the counter points are so obvious (particular in language and sports) and then the rest is just wilful ignorance of the rest of the world. If it's not a parody he's clearly just pushing the trolling over the top. He's probably disappointed it got locked straight away.

SteveWD40

Especially that post, the counter points are so obvious (particular in language and sports) and then the rest is just wilful ignorance of the rest of the world. If it's not a parody he's clearly just pushing the trolling over the top. He's probably disappointed it got locked straight away.

I am not so sure, he got far too exited during the Olympics and seemed to have a real thing for baiting the UK as well, constantly calling for our cyclists to be disqualified.

A Parody would only bother with their own threads imho.

Mikeside

I don't really 'get' the whole troll-account/joke personality GAF thing.

Who can be bothered to put so much time and effort into that shit? Seems incredibly sad and pathetic.

Mikeside

I can see how it might be gratifying for short periods. Extremely short.

Yeah, maybe the odd joke post, which I've done myself, but to try and forge a whole personality out of it...

I play Necromunda & loads of boardgames regularly, read comic books and am joining in on the GAF LEGO contest and even I think that's sad.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Hmm - if I'm back by 9ish (I don't think I will be) then myself and the Mrs. will probably come down as I'm so close I could spit at Aldershot.

I may need your advice on Batman comics at some point, by the way.
I want to get into the new 52 Batman stuff, but what with the many different comics (Batman, TDK, Detective Comics, etc) all tying in together, I'm not sure how to tackle it.

Tips?

Very easy question! The only nu52 batbook worth a damn is 'batman' by Scott Snyder. The rest are really quite bland and pointless.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I'm on 4chan every day. Was going on there before I came here, but some people, a lot of people, are forged into internet assholes over there.

I "get" joke posters on other forums but this one, that requires you to sign up and wait for potentially months, I don't. Wait all that time just to make a stupid character and get banned?

Mikeside

Very easy question! The only nu52 batbook worth a damn is 'batman' by Scott Snyder. The rest are really quite bland and pointless.

But don't all the stories tie in together? Like The Court of Owls thing - it spans Batman, TDK, Batman & Robin, Detective Comics, JL etc. no?
Won't I miss out on loads?

f0rk

But don't all the stories tie in together? Like The Court of Owls thing - it spans Batman, TDK, Batman & Robin, Detective Comics, JL etc. no?
Won't I miss out on loads?

I tried to ignore this and just bought the first 3 Batman and Robin trades, but I had no idea what was going on with the villain in the third one. They don't make it easy.

Lirlond

As much as the post is awful, it's also a fairly good ground for discussion. Modern day culture is dominated by America. How many British films have you seen in cinema this year?

I don't really mind where a film comes from, so long as it's good. Honestly, cultural backgrounds rarely influence my desire to consume a thing, even if they mostly certain do influence what's available to me.

Besides, all of Hollywood's top directors and actors nowadays are British anyway :smug:

f0rk

How many British films have you seen in cinema this year?

Batman, most of the cast of The Hobbit, the director and a lot of the cast of Promethius, Loki, James motherfucking Bond... we punch well above our weight culturally. Where the money comes from is irrelevant when the world is as small as it is today.

Suairyu

Banned
Batman, most of the cast of The Hobbit, the director and a lot of the cast of Promethius, Loki, James motherfucking Bond... we punch well above our weight culturally. Where the money comes from is irrelevant when the world is as small as it is today.
Bond is the only British film on that list. The others merely have British employees.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

Honestly, a lot of Americans I've met will claim not to be the intensely patriotic USA-USA-USA type until you criticise the US too much and then suddenly the US is the greatest country in the world, home of the brave land of the free, etc. So I suspect there's two halves to it, there's the half that claims that they aren't really the crazy patriot they pretend to be, and there's the crazy patriot that comes out if you dig a little deeper.

I'm sort of vaguely similar about the UK. I think there's very little to be proud of in the UK but if someone insults the NHS or BBC I go into full-on spittle and rage mode.

The "Talking to girls in public, civil or uncivil?" thread...

1274465753023.gif

You can disparage your own things as much as you want, but by gum, when someone else is doing it, that's not on. Rule of anything. Offspring, nationality, clothing, taste in women/men, and so on.

Self-deprecation is some seriously unnatural shit- unfortunately, it's also wildly fashionable.

SteveWD40

I'm sort of vaguely similar about the UK. I think there's very little to be proud of in the UK but if someone insults the NHS or BBC I go into full-on spittle and rage mode.

Same here, I think it's ok to laugh at yourself, but fuck anyone else doing it.

Although I think there is little to be proud of anywhere, every country has it's good and bad points. We should be proud of our family's and maybe our community's, the rest is out of our control.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Same here, I think it's ok to laugh at yourself, but fuck anyone else doing it.

Although I think there is little to be proud of anywhere, every country has it's good and bad points. We should be proud of our family's and maybe our community's, the rest id out of our control.

I'm thinking about being a lot more active, protesting, etc., possibly trying my hand at some writing. The UK is way behind the rest of Europe (and the US) on almost every positive socioeconomic scale now that I feel like I have an obligation to try and do whatever little I can about it.

Mikeside

You can disparage your own things as much as you want, but by gum, when someone else is doing it, that's not on. Rule of anything. Offspring, nationality, clothing, taste in women/men, and so on.

Self-deprecation is some seriously unnatural shit- unfortunately, it's also wildly fashionable.

You're obviously not really British if you don't think self-deprication is natural. It's The British Way (TM)

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I saw a writeup of the Olympics Opening Ceremony in the NYT and it basically said, 'the British are self-deprecatory to disguise a deep-seated sense of their superiority' and I was like, nah.

You're obviously not really British if you don't think self-deprication is natural. It's The British Way (TM)

The Olympics has kind of changed my mind about that. I see our national trait as one of cynicism more than anything, anyway- always assuming the worst will happen, rather than "waah everything sucks".

Mikeside

I saw a writeup of the Olympics Opening Ceremony in the NYT and it basically said, 'the British are self-deprecatory to disguise a deep-seated sense of their superiority' and I was like, nah.

I dunno... that's me right there.

By the way, I wasn't in this thread during the Olympics, but how fucking awesome was the opening ceremony? I really enjoyed it depite going into it expecting a trainwreck.

The Olympics has kind of changed my mind about that. I see our national trait as one of cynicism more than anything, anyway- always assuming the worst will happen, rather than "waah everything sucks".

I mean more self-deprication in a humourous way - the ability/need to acknowledge, admit, focus on and poke fun at our own flaws - it's the backbone of British comedy. I definitely agree that we're cynical too

Juicy Bob

British cynicism is by far the worst thing about Britain.

I've not always been immune to it myself, but I've gotten to a point of being sick of being negative and cynical about things all the time so now I just look to try and enjoy things instead. #BASED

The opening ceremony was properly excellent, I thought. Felt after Beijing that we would never come close to anything as impressive but I thought Danny Boyle did a superb job of celebrating everything about Britain that matters and that we should be proud of and I loved it.

I mean more self-deprication in a humourous way - the ability/need to acknowledge, admit, focus on and poke fun at our own flaws - it's the backbone of British comedy. I definitely agree that we're cynical too

Oh yes, I agree with that! We're excellent at ribbing ourselves. I was just referring to the falsely sincere cries of anguish at one's country that you seem to see so much of online. That stuff is so fake.

I don't tend to see much of that from British folk, actually. Maybe it's our total lack of a superiority sensation that keeps us from doing that- we've no pre-defined conceptions of how good we are to fight against. :p

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

I think cynicism is very British, yeah. Look at The Thick of It, for instance. I always think it's very telling that the British make satirical shows about their political systems, while the Americans make shows like The West Wing where everyone is a beautiful, talented genius.

SteveWD40

I think cynicism is very British, yeah. Look at The Thick of It, for instance. I always think it's very telling that the British make satirical shows about their political systems, while the Americans make shows like The West Wing where everyone is a beautiful, talented genius.

Only the Democrats!

I mean I love that show, but it's a liberals wet dream made flesh and would have been harpooned to death in the current, ultra partisan, Fox News America.

A health dose of cynicism keeps you keen, really. You can't be surprised if you're expecting greatness around every corner!

Speaking of TV, it's not just the difference between our political shows- notice how there's not really a Father Ted or Vicar of Dibley equivalent for the states...

daviyoung

Banned
I mean I love that show, but it's a liberals wet dream made flesh and would have been harpooned to death in the current, ultra partisan, Fox News America.

Look at how weasly, nerdy, bald, poorly dressed and ugly Democrats appear on Fox News compared to their lantern-jawed pristinely-coiffered Republican news readers. And that's not even fiction. I think West Wing is just a response to that, from the lefty media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom