• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Is it the same salsa they put in the salsa twisters?

Doesn't matter, the crisp sandwich idea sold me. I'll be checking it tonight since my cupboard is bare.

I don't think it is, pretty sure I haven't tasted it before anyway.

Where do you live: Birmingham
Where are you from: Dudley
University: University of Birmingham
Sports team of choice: Hah, please.
Current political party of choice: Labour
Barm, batch, cob or bun: Crusty cob.
Favourite (current) UK TV show: Doctor Who
Oasis or Blur: Ewww.

English nightclubs are disgraceful. Gypsy TV programmes make me uncomfortable. Our media makes me cry.

Mikeside

Hm, good point- I never filled this in:

Where do you live: Surrey
Where are you from: Berkshire
University: Hard Knocks U
Sports team of choice: Southampton
Current political party of choice: I voted LibDem, so I obviously have no fucking idea, anymore.
Barm, batch, cob or bun: ...uh-huh
Favourite (current) UK TV show: We still have those? I guess Peep Show.
Oasis or Blur: In the 90s I'd've said Blur, in the 00s I'd've said Oasis, but having experienced both in the 10s, I'm pretty glad they're both gone.

If I could've voted for dead UK TV shows it would've been way hard:
Knowing Me Knowing You, I'm Alan Partridge, Spaced, Black Books, Blackadder, A Bit of Fry and Laurie, Coupling, Look Around You, Brass Eye, The Day Today, Drop the Dead Donkey, Yes Minister, The Young Ones, Mr. Bean...

What happened to good British TV. Can anyone suggest anything to cure my blues? I'm currently awaiting my batch of US shows to renew next month, so it's pretty dead here.

Though I have just started Guild Wars 2, so I probably shouldn't commit to much...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If we continue with the questions in the second thread we really should replace that last question with something else. "CBBC or CiTV" perhaps.

What happened to good British TV. Can anyone suggest anything to cure my blues? I'm currently awaiting my batch of US shows to renew next month, so it's pretty dead here.
Watch Accused.

If I could've voted for dead UK TV shows it would've been way hard:
Knowing Me Knowing You, I'm Alan Partridge, Spaced, Black Books, Blackadder, A Bit of Fry and Laurie, Coupling, Look Around You, Brass Eye, The Day Today, Drop the Dead Donkey, Yes Minister, The Young Ones, Mr. Bean...

Some excellent choices. Currently waiting for Amazon to deliver the Spaced boxsets to me, very impatiently.

In terms of British TV, the only worthwhile thing I can think of that's just started a run is Doctor Who. There's also a new series of Shameless coming up, if you like that sort of thing (which I don't.) Otherwise, it's the usual reality shit that makes me dive for my remote.

Only other thing I really watch on TV is re-runs of Friends on Comedy Central. That channel, by the way, has the most obnoxious adverts in all of man kind. "IT'S REALLY FUNNY. WHITNEY. YOU SHOULD TOTALLY CHUFFING WATCH IT. AMAZEBALLS." It's rivalled only by E4, which I watch for How I Met Your Mother and the occasional Scrubs episode, but has the most derivative shit on TV. If I hear an advert for Revenge one more time with "It's about Lucy... Conrad's not her father".... And don't get me started on T4. There's a special place in hell for T4 presenters where they have to read books, listen to good music, and comb their hair.

Mikeside

Some excellent choices. Currently waiting for Amazon to deliver the Spaced boxsets to me, very impatiently.

In terms of British TV, the only worthwhile thing I can think of that's just started a run is Doctor Who. There's also a new series of Shameless coming up, if you like that sort of thing (which I don't.) Otherwise, it's the usual reality shit that makes me dive for my remote.

Only other thing I really watch on TV is re-runs of Friends on Comedy Central. That channel, by the way, has the most obnoxious adverts in all of man kind. "IT'S REALLY FUNNY. WHITNEY. YOU SHOULD TOTALLY CHUFFING WATCH IT. AMAZEBALLS." It's rivalled only by E4, which I watch for How I Met Your Mother and the occasional Scrubs episode, but has the most derivative shit on TV. If I hear an advert for Revenge one more time with "It's about Lucy... Conrad's not her father".... And don't get me started on T4. There's a special place in hell for T4 presenters where they have to read books, listen to good music, and comb their hair.

The Spaced box set is awesome and is one of the rare cases where I'd say it's worth watching the documentary that comes with it. It's called "Start at the End" or something and I really enjoyed watching it twice. Once before watching the box set over the course of a weekend, and once right after.

I'm not a fan of Dr. Who or Shameless, however mcuh I try :(

And I totally agree about the adverts. I used to watch a lot of Paramount Comedy/Comedy Central, but the adverts pushed me away and I mostly just watch streams/boxsets nowadays.

That Whitney show looks utterly fucking terribad.

If we continue with the questions in the second thread we really should replace that last question with something else. "CBBC or CiTV" perhaps.

Watch Accused.

What's that like? It looks interesting, so I'll probably check it out.

I should probably mention that I also enjoyed the first 2 seasons of Skins, most Mitchell and Webb stuff, Hustle was pretty awesome, any Attenborough documentary.

I really wish Flight of the Conchords would do a UK series. I think it'd be even better than the US style they've done so far. As long as they don't turn it into a BBC3 shitfest.

The Spaced box set is awesome and is one of the rare cases where I'd say it's worth watching the documentary that comes with it. It's called "Start at the End" or something and I really enjoyed watching it twice. Once before watching the box set over the course of a weekend, and once right after.

I'm not a fan of Dr. Who or Shameless, however mcuh I try :(

And I totally agree about the adverts. I used to watch a lot of Paramount Comedy/Comedy Central, but the adverts pushed me away and I mostly just watch streams/boxsets nowadays.

That Whitney show looks utterly fucking terribad.

I'm glad to hear it, I found out about a day after I ordered it from Amazon that the whole two series were up on 4OD for free. Felt pretty bad, but if it comes with good extras, totally worth it. Any commentaries?

That's fair enough. Shameless I just find utterly depressing to watch.

EDIT: Oh! Guilty pleasure of mine, Mrs. Brown's Boys. I know it might not be the most high-class humour, but I have to say, I find it bloody hilarious.

And yeah, Whitney seems to have the same problem as most American sitcoms, portrays their women as complete control freak bitches that seek to ruin the lives of their male partners.

Seanbob11

Where do you live: Surrey
Where are you from: Berkshire
University: Hard Knocks U
Sports team of choice: Southampton
Current political party of choice: I voted LibDem, so I obviously have no fucking idea, anymore.
Barm, batch, cob or bun: ...uh-huh
Favourite (current) UK TV show: We still have those? I guess Peep Show.
Oasis or Blur: In the 90s I'd've said Blur, in the 00s I'd've said Oasis, but having experienced both in the 10s, I'm pretty glad they're both gone.

So unlucky at the weekend. You's played amazingly well.

Mikeside

Episodes was a good, if safe and comforting, original and recent comedy series.

Citizen Khan if you're a sucker for punishment.

Was Episodes the one with Tamsen Greig and...the floppy guy I keep seeing on TV? Where they take their successful UK TV and try to remake it in America? I watched an episode of that, enjoyed it but forgot to follow up on it. Nice one, that gives me something to hunt out!

I'm glad to hear it, I found out about a day after I ordered it from Amazon that the whole two series were up on 4OD for free. Felt pretty bad, but if it comes with good extras, totally worth it. Any commentaries?

EDIT: Oh! Guilty pleasure of mine, Mrs. Brown's Boys. I know it might not be the most high-class humour, but I have to say, I find it bloody hilarious.

And yeah, Whitney seems to have the same problem as most American sitcoms, portrays their women as complete control freak bitches that seek to ruin the lives of their male partners.

Can't remember if there were any commentaries, but owning Spaced is a glorious thing that you should be proud of, extras or not :)

So unlucky at the weekend. You's played amazingly well.

Yeah, we seem to be good at that. Against City and United we seemed to be good at the foreplay, but unable to get the condom on and fuck.

Suairyu

Banned
MRS BROWNS BOYS?!

And people insult me for watching GimmeGimmeGimme...

Which one did he say??? "The one with the veins on it. It looks yummy" ?
She said the one that looks like a schoolboy's drawing. The others were a touch too graphic.

Now I have to remember my pen-tool (ha!) skills in Photoshop.

Mikeside

Shameless' early series were great but it's been shit for years now.

I keep seeing your avatar and thinking you're Kentpaul. Confusing bastard :p

It's just like the guy who went around with a duck avatar, who I kept confusing with Chinner.

Would anyone recommend Extras? I never really 'clicked' with the UK Office, but I loved Idiot Abroad.

MRS BROWNS BOYS?!

She said the one that looks like a schoolboy's drawing. The others were a touch too graphic.

OK you've hooked me. I really want to know why you need to draw a penis at work. Spill.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Alas poor ScreenSplitter, his tenure with us was short and his future was bright...

Anyway, enough of mocking newcomers and their dubious taste in telly, I have a Huntwatch alert!

So I'm reading the school magazine that we put out at the start of each term (or Quarter, as they are known here in Poshton). Flicking through between the photos of kids playing cricket and their amazing (I mean AMAAAAAZING) artwork, there is an interview with none other than our UKGAF mascore, Mr Jeremy Hunt. Turns out he was an old boy here and is still involved with the school. Choice excerpts would be him defending his education, saying that government is made up of people from all walks of life (bollocks is it), him revealing himself as somewhat of a weeaboo (or Asiaphile at least) and a lovely pic of him aged about 10.

I feel ashamed of my profession.

Also, all the kids are back to school today (here at least). Walking past them all earlier, I'm sure there are a much higher percentage of blond boys here than at my previous school. Are posh people predisposed to blondness?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
MRS BROWNS BOYS?!

lol nice! So you're basically being Jonah Hill in Superbad for an afternoon? Neat!

I like that the others were too graphic. I'm imagining leakage.

Would anyone recommend Extras? I never really 'clicked' with the UK Office, but I loved Idiot Abroad.

I don't really like Ricky Gervais's style of humour. A lot of Extras is "cringe" comedy, which I just can't enjoy. I think I stopped watching at the episode he accidentally insults a kid with Downes Syndrome. I'm not offended by it or anything, I just don't find it funny. The only thing that saved it was the guest stars, seeing Patrick Stewart being a total perv was brilliant.

Alas poor ScreenSplitter, his tenure with us was short and his future was bright...

I acknowledged it was shit, leave me alone :p

daviyoung

Banned
Check out Episodes and Extras, in many ways they're the same show. Extras is consistently fantastic though, so look into that first.

Picard, Ross Kemp, Bowie, Cheggers and Les Dennis episodes are standouts for me, but it's worth seeing the entire series in chrono order since each episode leads onto the next.

Highly recommended.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Is this WORK SAFE? I mean, I know about electrical tape etc. and considered it, but the health and safety gives me pause for thought.

It's a battery. It's safe.

If you want to be ultra-cautious, then you can either go the expensive route and use solder and connectors and whatnot or you can go the cheap route by mounting the whole lot (duct tape and all) in a box, paint it black and put a green sticker on the outside saying it has been inspected and sign it with a squiggle.

I think you mean duck tape.

No, I mean duct tape. It is for taping ducts not ducks,

Mikeside

Anyway, enough of mocking newcomers and their dubious taste in telly, I have a Huntwatch alert!

So I'm reading the school magazine that we put out at the start of each term (or Quarter, as they are known here in Poshton). Flicking through between the photos of kids playing cricket and their amazing (I mean AMAAAAAZING) artwork, there is an interview with none other than our UKGAF mascore, Mr Jeremy Hunt. Turns out he was an old boy here and is still involved with the school. Choice excerpts would be him defending his education, saying that government is made up of people from all walks of life (bollocks is it), him revealing himself as somewhat of a weeaboo (or Asiaphile at least) and a lovely pic of him aged about 10.

I feel ashamed of my profession.

Also, all the kids are back to school today (here at least). Walking past them all earlier, I'm sure there are a much higher percentage of blond boys here than at my previous school. Are posh people predisposed to blondness?

You need to get hold of him and make him sign a poster sized printout of your avatar.

I'd take Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie over Mrs Brown's boys anyday.

So it's been 6 weeks since starting my diet and I'm getting really, really bored of salad for lunch everyday. I don't want bread of any kind, and we don't have a microwave. Any suggestions?

Shameless' early series were great but it's been shit for years now.

It was great when James Mcavoy was in it, and pretty good until season 5 or 6, then it just went downhill fast after most of the original family left. I'm sure the guy who plays Frank only does it because it's guaranteed work.

No, I mean duct tape. It is for taping ducts not ducks,

Sorry, sir, I was only joking! :(

That's a good list of TV! Also, no offence to the guy who dislikes Ricky Gervais' old comedies but likes Mrs Brown's Boys, but I don't think you should be allowed to comment anymore ;)

SteveWD40

Some of you watch some fucking shit television.

Only good things on now (not imports) are Dr Who when it's on form and Peep Show when it comes back.

Rest is all about the US, Always Sunny, Walking Dead, Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad, hell even How I met your Mother is far better than most UK stuff.

The one show I do miss we did very well was Spooks, highly underrated, decent production values and some good plots.

Mikeside

Only good things on now (not imports) are Dr Who when it's on form and Peep Show when it comes back.

Rest is all about the US, Always Sunny, Walking Dead, Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad, hell even How I met your Mother is far better than most UK stuff.

The one show I do miss we did very well was Spooks, highly underrated, decent production values and some good plots.

I honestly tried with Always Sunny but I hated it

Spooks underrated? I always thought it was one of the highly regarded UK shows?

What are some of the UK shows you're referencing?
If you're talkign about Royale Family, GimmeGimmeGimme and the like, then I couldn't agree more.

Agree with pretty much all of this. I don't watch Dr Who, but Peep Show is excellent, and Spooks was excellent too. I'd argue that TWD and HIMYM are not particularly good shows, but you're right that they're probably still better than a lot of what we churn out nowadays. Of course, pro rata there are just as many misses in the US as there are over here.

Mikeside

Gah, double post. IamMikeside, give Always Sunny another go!

I tried :(

Does it pick up after the first 5 or 6 episodes?

I really want more Curb Your Enthusiasm at this point.

Your GIF (which you edited out :p) reminds me I need to find out wtf is happening with Entourage... are they still doing a movie, or *fingers crossed* is there another season coming instead? I know they weren't going to renew at one point.

I just want more Ari.

I tried :(

Does it pick up after the first 5 or 6 episodes?

I really want more Curb Your Enthusiasm at this point.

Your GIF (which you edited out :p) reminds me I need to find out wtf is happening with Entourage... are they still doing a movie, or *fingers crossed* is there another season coming instead? I know they weren't going to renew at one point.

I just want more Ari.

I'd say the first season is the worst ('purists' try to insist it's the best, but I think it's by far the opposite of that!). Seasons 3-5 are top tier TV, to borrow the term currently being thrown about in the Breaking Bad season 5 topic. Latest Entourage update I heard was that Doug Ellin has written about half of the script, and all indications are that it's still going ahead.

Scuderia

Never been a fan of British TV, apart from the Comedies.

But recently we've done pretty damn well i think; Sherlock, Luther to name a few.

Infact, that's all i can think of, but it's a start!

Still, will never compete with the likes of The Wire, The Soprano's, Breaking Bad etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom