• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Glad the Scottish weekend is coming to an end. I'm to old for this wild shit.

Sigh going to have to phone the nightclub to get my JACKET back.

So fucking hungover today, 12 hour sessions post thirty suck big time. The Camden Town Brewery tour and open day was great though, as was the evening in Brewdog.

Don't remember posting last night, quite impressed by my legibility :s

SteveWD40

Exeter is really nice, I wanted to move there when I first came back from a year in Australia but there isn't a lot of industry to speak of.

Chinner

Banned
i havent been to exeter in like 7 years almost. wouldn't mind checking it out again. like perth in scutland havent been there since i was a kid.

Suairyu

Banned
Some lad got shot by armed police in the village I went to school in.

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16181863

I'll probably know who got shot to be honest, I'll have went to school with em.
That bites. Must feel pretty surreal huh?

I still don't know how I feel about Uni flatmate being found dead - the one who Jamie Oliver appealed for help over. I only knew him properly for a year but still... you know?

Aside: if a thread about police shootings ever involves US Police on GAF, I almost always expect it to be police overreaction. If it's about British police, I know the sheer amount of pre-planning, paperwork and permission-seeking that goes into every single bullet, so I assume they police were 100% in the right.

Meadows

Banned
That bites.

Aside: if a thread about police shootings ever involves US Police on GAF, I almost always expect it to be police overreaction. If it's about British police, I know the sheer amount of pre-planning, paperwork and permission-seeking that goes into every single bullet, so I assume they police were 100% in the right.

Yeah, I'd assume so.

Apparently it's related to a string of armed robberies in the area.

Watching Jamie's 30 minute meals at the moment. I've found what really bugs me about this type of show, which proclaim easy cooking. Fact is, the cooking techniques he is using are simple and that is great, but that aside you would need:

A large kitchen space to prepare all the bits of the meal.
LOTS of kitchen appliances and gadgets.
A fair amount of knives, tools, bowls, plates etc. So lots of washing up.
Most of the meals rely on you having masses of surplus ingredients in the fridge/cupboards.
He assumes you have a fucking greenhouse full of plants to use.

So for a student, or a parent these meals would take up loads of time tracking down the needed ingredients in the supermarket, and a fair bit of money too outside of the actual cooking of it.

Personal issue with Jamie Oliver: uses nuts in way to many meals, and drowns everything in olive oil! Don't know why I'm watching this though, I'm starving now.

Watching Jamie's 30 minute meals at the moment. I've found what really bugs me about this type of show, which proclaim easy cooking. Fact is, the cooking techniques he is using are simple and that is great, but that aside you would need:

A large kitchen space to prepare all the bits of the meal.
LOTS of kitchen appliances and gadgets.
A fair amount of knives, tools, bowls, plates etc. So lots of washing up.
Most of the meals rely on you having masses of surplus ingredients in the fridge/cupboards.
He assumes you have a fucking greenhouse full of plants to use.

So for a student, or a parent these meals would take up loads of time tracking down the needed ingredients in the supermarket, and a fair bit of money too outside of the actual cooking of it.

Personal issue with Jamie Oliver: uses nuts in way to many meals, and drowns everything in olive oil! Don't know why I'm watching this though, I'm starving now.

Exactly my issues with TV cooking.

Its just not practical for families/single people on a budget.

SteveWD40

Me and the GF are done with his 30 min meals, he assumes almost all the prep is done and uses half the kitchen worth of kit.

Last one we did took about an hour and the washing up was horrific.

Waitrose free magazine in store has some great quick easy meals.

Suairyu

Banned
CHEEZMO™;35708176 said:
Middle Class tossers have no perspective. News at 11.
It's less a thing about middle class and more a thing about him being a chef who wants to go out there and pick mushrooms, assuming anyone whose interesting in cooking is able/wants to do that as well. His career choice removes his perspective.

Let's not get class war on this.

I'm going to go buy a pie. From Sainsbury's though, so I'm sure Jamie would approve.
I could murder a Fray Bentos chicken and mushroom pie right about now.

Meadows

Banned
At least he's not as bad as Heston. NOT EVERYONE HAS ACCESS TO LIQUID NITROGEN. Fucking hell.

My missus
ogodchinner
likes Nigel Slater. I guess his cooking is generally a bit simpler?

Meadows

Banned
is that the missus who isn't white? I think Chinner mentioned her sometime or other. Maybe he likes her.

haha, he's got a habit of posting weird A-Ha - Take On Me-esque gifs whenever I mention her.

She's Taiwanese but was brought up in New Zealand.

Anyway, I find that the Hairy Bikers are good.

P.S. Pukka pies (from frozen) are remarkably good. Heston's Waitrose pies are really good too, but you have to get them reduced.

Yen

haha, he's got a habit of posting weird A-Ha - Take On Me-esque gifs whenever I mention her.

She's Taiwanese but was brought up in New Zealand.

Anyway, I find that the Hairy Bikers are good.

P.S. Pukka pies (from frozen) are remarkably good. Heston's Waitrose pies are really good too, but you have to get them reduced.
I always assumed she was Chinese, and you couldn't speak Chinese and she couldn't speak English. It'd be a nicer story.

Meadows

Banned
I always assumed she was Chinese, and you couldn't speak Chinese and she couldn't speak English. It'd be a nicer story.

Haha, no that would be much more romantic.

She speaks and writes English just like you and me (with a Kiwi accent) and Chinese is basically her second language.

I speak a fair bit of Chinese though, I've been to Taiwan twice and am going again this June/July.

Anyway, I'll stop talking about her because I don't want to wind up Chinner ;)

BigDes

At least he's not as bad as Heston. NOT EVERYONE HAS ACCESS TO LIQUID NITROGEN. Fucking hell.

My missus
ogodchinner
likes Nigel Slater. I guess his cooking is generally a bit simpler?

To be fair to Heston he never claims his cooking is accessible

There's always an essence of sorcery to his stuff

Meadows

Banned
To be fair to Heston he never claims his cooking is accessible

There's always an essence of sorcery to his stuff

yeah I suppose, his stuff is good for entertainment if nothing else (that Little Chef thing was really good too)

Valentine Warner is good, but he's a proper posh prick.

I did like how every other episode of 'How to cook like Heston' involved 'and you can get dry ice off the internet...'

Oh, and cook everything low and slow.

Meadows

Banned
Everyone should watch making Bradford British, it makes me laugh and cry.

The complete twisting of what that old white guy said about "paki bashing" was fucking disgusting.

What he said was obviously taken completely out of context and when the mixed race barlady told the muslim girl about what happened, she completely mistold the entire fucking story, and then you've got everyone ganging up on this guy. Didn't seem fair to me, especially the reaction of the muslim girl who withdrew and started lying down on the canal boat, sobbing about how racist the guy was.

Very interesting programme though, even though basically all of the people in it are fucking nutters.

It'd be interesting to see how much of Islamic worship is actually pushed by OCD. That guy who visited the mosque 5x a day was CLEARLY exhibiting severe symptoms of OCD.

My favourite character was the posh lady. Summed up my views on everything perfectly:

"I don't care what race you are, if you're a dickhead, you're a dickhead."

Chinner

Banned
xWQUd.gif

Xun

The complete twisting of what that old white guy said about "paki bashing" was fucking disgusting.

What he said was obviously taken completely out of context and when the mixed race barlady told the muslim girl about what happened, she completely mistold the entire fucking story, and then you've got everyone ganging up on this guy. Didn't seem fair to me, especially the reaction of the muslim girl who withdrew and started lying down on the canal boat, sobbing about how racist the guy was.

Very interesting programme though, even though basically all of the people in it are fucking nutters.

It'd be interesting to see how much of Islamic worship is actually pushed by OCD. That guy who visited the mosque 5x a day was CLEARLY exhibiting severe symptoms of OCD.

My favourite character was the posh lady. Summed up my views on everything perfectly:

Just because it may have looked like OCD doesn't necessarily mean it was.

I didn't see it however, but I'm just saying.

Meadows

Banned
Just because it may have looked like OCD doesn't necessarily mean it was.

I didn't see it however, but I'm just saying.

No really, his motives didn't seem religious, but based on habit. He literally started to freak out and go weird when he was going to miss a prayer which resulted in him running around Bradford like some sort of weird hyper-caffeinated cartoon character.

Xun

No really, his motives didn't seem religious, but based on habit. He literally started to freak out and go weird when he was going to miss a prayer which resulted in him running around Bradford like some sort of weird hyper-caffeinated cartoon character.
Could be then, I'll have to check it out.

I suffer with OCD myself.

Xun

Oh, well it should certainly be interesting for you.

I don't throw around the term OCD lightly, so I'm relatively certain when I say it.
Yeah man that's cool, just a lot of people use the term to describe little quirks they may have.

Anyway I'll check it out on 4oD later on.

Murkas

I agree, I really saw no intent from the old guy (although to be fair, it's not something you wanna say to a group of strangers, was pissing my self laughing when he tried to somewhat back peddle and came out with the black bastard stuff), nice to see the mosque guy not think much of it.

Next weeks highlights look interesting, hijab lady pulling pints sounds hilarious, would have liked to see the nutcases stay together more then 4 days, wanted more screen time from the white kid and Mohammed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom