• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
This thread is now relevant to my interests.

We love you all my British friends, even though we may say we don't. Its a secret kinda love.

Suairyu

Banned
Everyone should go to Doorsteps. Damn they make good sandwiches.
or... make your own. i already have a sandwich recipe in this thread and it tastes a thousand times better than anything i have ever bought from a store.
here's something i've been thinking about recently

people always say something about respecting british values if you move here

do people think there is a distinctive set of british values, like say liberté égalité fraternité for the french?

i'm not sure i do
we don't, because having a writ-in-stone set of values isn't very british.

however, that means anyone trying to bring stone-clad laws into the country aren't keeping "british values"

it's a very nebulous thing, you either understand it or you don't. no-one can explain it to you.

but

secular living is absolutely one of them, even if you're a devout religious person.

Wilbur

Banned
Canavan or Cooper?
Harte or Kernan?
Kevin Hughes or Messi?

Don't doubt me Yenrot. Don't do it. I'll get Agent Gibson on yo ass

Darron-Gibson.jpg

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Just noticed the thread title change, all of the British Isles included now!

Not quite. Strictly speaking we are still not including the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands of (IIRC) Guernsey, Jersey, Sark and Alderney - all of which are self-governing crown dependencies that are not part of the UK (or of the Republic of Ireland).

The Channel Islands are the last remnants of the Duchy of Normandy that came over here in 1066, but goodness knows how Man managed to maintain its separateness.

That much isn't disputed so far as I know. If you want to get into disputed bits then maybe Orkney is a doubtful (and possibly even Shetland, but not Wight or Ynys Mon).

EDIT: and that bit about the Channel Islands is why the Queen is still the Duke of Normandy in succession to William the Conqueror - because maybe otherwise she would have no power over those islands (which are bloody close to France).

Meadows

Banned
here's something i've been thinking about recently

people always say something about respecting british values if you move here

do people think there is a distinctive set of british values, like say liberté égalité fraternité for the french?

i'm not sure i do

in theory, duty of service to the queen

but yeah, in reality we don't have anything like France or the USA

kharma45

Not quite. Strictly speaking we are still not including the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands of (IIRC) Guernsey, Jersey, Sark and Alderney - all of which are self-governing crown dependencies that are not part of the UK (or of the Republic of Ireland).

The Channel Islands are the last remnants of the Duchy of Normandy that came over here in 1066, but goodness knows how Man managed to maintain its separateness.

That much isn't disputed so far as I know. If you want to get into disputed bits then maybe Orkney is a doubtful (and possibly even Shetland, but not Wight or Ynys Mon).

And there's me a geography student fucking up. I'll keep quiet :p

McCleanJames_Claps.jpg

Why don't we have a 32 county Football team?

Few ones from here would get in, but I'd probably be in favour of it overall.

But do we include Sealand?

Desmond

And there's me a geography student fucking up. I'll keep quiet :p

Few ones from here would get in, but I'd probably be in favour of it overall.

When we played in that cup last year, that young lad Carson played well. I assume Evans would get in a team too

EDIT: GET IN RORY MCILROY

kharma45

When we played in that cup last year, that young lad Carson played well. I assume Evans would get in a team too

Yeah I forgot about Jonny, Steve Davis might make the squad.

Who else, Aaron Hughes maybe? Chris Brunt probably would.

Edit - Also

mcilroyx-large.jpg

Boss.

Yen

I get confused there's two different ducks

YOU SAID MESSI LEAVE ME ALONE
Admittedly, none of the comparisons are apt. Peter Canavan and Colm "the Gooch" Cooper played similar positions but had different qualities. Mickey Harte (Tyrone) is like a Mourinho type, Joe Kernan, formerly Armagh manager quit in 2006~, so the rivalry is no longer there. Hub Hughes is GAA's answer to Gibson. A fat Darron Gibson.

Desmond

Admittedly, none of the comparisons are apt. Peter Canavan and Colm "the Gooch" Cooper played similar positions but had different qualities. Mickey Harte (Tyrone) is like a Mourinho type, Joe Kernan, formerly Armagh manager quit in 2006~. Hub Hughes is GAA's answer to Gibson. A fat Darron Gibson.

LOL GAA

We're All Ireland Champions and I hardly care. Wooooooo Dublin Wooo

Wilbur

Banned
Admittedly, none of the comparisons are apt. Peter Canavan and Colm "the Gooch" Cooper played similar positions but had different qualities. Mickey Harte (Tyrone) is like a Mourinho type, Joe Kernan, formerly Armagh manager quit in 2006~, so the rivalry is no longer there. Hub Hughes is GAA's answer to Gibson. A fat Darron Gibson.

You literally could have said penis repeatedly in Swahili and I would have had the same amount of knowledge.

Clegg

ROI eh?

The new thread title now makes it a requirement for every poster to convert to Catholocism. I won't be taking any of this Athiest nonsense either. Mass is on Sunday 12 pm sharp.

All Brits are now allowed to drink Jameson and or Guinness. Brits are not allowed to have the craic though. Thats our thing. We'll let the Nordies have it because we're just just a great bunch of lads altogether.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
But do we include Sealand?

I need to put on my old-fashioned lawyerly face here and look serious. And then say some guff along the lines of:

Of course we include "Sealand". Not because Sealand is recognised as a separate terrritory under the control of the Crown, but precisely because it is not so recognised. The area that you call "Sealand" falls with in the territory and jurisdiction of the United Kingdom by being de facto a protruding execresence above the surface of the ocean surrounding the first-named territory, and indeed having been constructed solely upon the basis of not only territorially-dominated seas at the time of construction, but wholly at the expense cost and taxation of the subjects of the Crown, and for those persons now there resident to now claim an independence from such would be to lay themselves open to recovery of the materials so provided by the Crown by if necessary diplomatic or explosive measures regardless of the occupancy of the claimed nation at the time.

I await your prompt reply.

p.s. I probably won't be happy with it.

----

Of course, in practice I would use the response preferred in Arkell v Pressdram.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Let's get Austrailia gaf in here too.

Oh dearie me, let's not do that. We have enough problems in the cricket threads.

You want to build a rest of the world versus America thread you are on your own. And for a very short time probably.

kharma45

ROI Gaf? Cool. Overall are there many Irish on GAF?

Yeah there are more of us (both north and south of the border) than you'd think on here!

I was actually going to edit it out with a different "Irish" suggestion. Just in case anyone thought I was seriously asking for an opinion or in case they thought I supported it. I only know of its existence through politics class. I know nothing about them and thought they were a legitimate group that contested elections.

If you want to edit yours I'll go back and change my post if you want?

Yen

Yeah there are more of us (both north and south of the border) than you'd think on here!

If you want to edit yours I'll go back and change my post if you want?
Okay. I thought I was making a quip about an obscure political party and not a flippin terrorist organisation. I shall edit (even though I'm sure no one was offended but better be safe than sorry).

kharma45

Okay. I thought I was making a quip about an obscure political party and not a flippin terrorist organisation. I shall edit (even though I'm sure no one was offended but better be safe than sorry).

Edited mine too just in case it annoyed someone, as you said, better safe than sorry!

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
If another political party came about that was the same as Sinn Fein but without the ties to the IRA, do you think they'd be more popular?

kharma45

If another political party came about that was the same as Sinn Fein but without the ties to the IRA, do you think they'd be more popular?

Hard to say, part of me thinks yes and no. This is just pure speculating off the bat, but could maybe SF's ties to the IRA be part of their appeal to some?

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying SF supporters = IRA supporters, but for a few it could hold true.

The SDLP has made decent strides forward here in my view as a moderate nationalist party.

Hard to say, part of me thinks yes and no. This is just pure speculating off the bat, but could maybe SF's ties to the IRA be part of their appeal to some?

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying SF supporters = IRA supporters, but for a few it could hold true.

The SDLP has made decent strides forward here in my view as a moderate nationalist party.

How strong are the links between Sinn Fein and the IRA these days? I thought they themselves had tried to shake off that image and act more like a proper party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom