• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meadows

Banned
Yeah, for those who didn't see or can't be arsed, I'll summarise:

Jens, a 60something ex-policeman was explaining to other members of the house (one mixed race lady (a barmaid), one black man (a DJ, or a factory worker or something?) and a south asian man (retired I think)) about how he used to have a south asian partner (called Mohammed) on his beat, and often joked "let's go paki-bashing", and how that was an example that 'racist' humour isn't really racist, because if it was he wouldn't say it in front of a south asian person.

The others were shocked, and the next morning, the barmaid (who is ACTUALLY racist against Pakistanis) told a muslim lady that he had said he used to go "paki bashing" with another police officer (which isn't what he said at all) and everyone in the house turned on him. He's a fucking idiot for getting himself into the mess, but he really wasn't being racist, everyone turned it that way and the young muslim lady got very upset.

It was a very interesting bit of TV, but the blame ultimately lies with the barmaid (link to the exact scene I'm talking about)

Suairyu

Banned
I just confirmed the French stereotype of our nation by having an amazing beef-centered roast dinner with four glasses of merlot.

Meadows

Banned
rosbif putain

edit: FFVIII holds up really well (apart from Squall being a little emo shite). The battle system is good. I'd recommend a punt on the PSN store

Suairyu

Banned
Only way to play FFVIII these days is on the PC. Backgrounds and movies are rendered in DVD resolution rather than PSX resolution, and you can jack up the AA on the models. I never realised the caretakers actually had human faces before I played it on PC.

and oh man the wine is really setting in I want to touch and hug people. Wine is like ecstasy in that regard it just makes human contact amazing.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
If it's about British police, I know the sheer amount of pre-planning, paperwork and permission-seeking that goes into every single bullet, so I assume they police were 100% in the right.

Sarcasm, I assume? Or did de Menezes deserve what he got?

(I'll agree that my perception would be that British police are more likely to be in the right than US police, but it's not 100% by any means...)

Meadows

Banned

(I'll agree that my perception would be that British police are more likely to be in the right than US police, but it's not 100% by any means...)

I'd say the de Menezes case changed a lot and probably isn't indicative of normal policing. Also, that was the Met, who are by far the worst ran, and most corrupt force in the country. Cheshire/Greater Manchester police are really well run.

FreeMufasa

I'm off to get some chocolate cake to watch over The Village

Btw, something tells me these cubs won't be rioting

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-roar-disapproval---finally-getting-hug.html

article-2109443-1201CEE3000005DC-792_964x814.jpg

article-2109443-1201CEDB000005DC-894_964x617.jpg

article-2109443-1201CED4000005DC-375_964x733.jpg

article-2109443-1201CECF000005DC-122_964x1283.jpg
[/QUOTE]

<3 Mums.

Suairyu

Banned

It's not that I go "oh British police? They were right! No need to read", but that I go in with a more positive expectation.

Generally, police shooting threads will only be made on GAF if the police officer was in the wrong somehow. Any police shooting tends to go on GAF because it isn't a common occurrence. That, combined with how strictly controlled gun use is by the British force, you can be reasonably assumptive before clicking the news story link.

That doesn't mean I'll entirely assume, yeah?

Meadows

Banned
It's also worth bearing in mind that the de Menezes shooting happened at a time of VERY high alert in London, and that it was almost 7 years ago.

GMP, in a small village, at a time of low alert is a very different scenario.

Re: FFVIII

Zell is such a dudebro. He's got a hoverboard. Oh, Zell you cray.

Just tried to fight Diablos, got me arse kicked.

Anyone fancy doing a bit of an informal play along?

Meadows

Banned
Motherfucker. First time we've actually been able to play SSX together as well.

ruined a night of CoD with my mate too :(

ah well, suppose you've gotta live with it

p.s. how do you check the amount of times users have posted in a thread?, I'd imagine my count is embarrassingly high (probably 70% of my posts are in this thread)

oh, and @iapetus, can you change the thread title to "UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion"? Didn't mean to exclude the Irish

Murkas

ruined a night of CoD with my mate too :(

ah well, suppose you've gotta live with it

p.s. how do you check the amount of times users have posted in a thread?, I'd imagine my count is embarrassingly high (probably 70% of my posts are in this thread)

oh, and @iapetus, can you change the thread title to "UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion"? Didn't mean to exclude the Irish

Click the number of replies when you see this thread in the OT main page. Copied the top lot.

Meadows 257
Kentpaul 137
CHEEZMO™ 136
Suairyu 124
J Tourettes 121
Green Scar 92
Chinner 86
daviyoung 73

No really, his motives didn't seem religious, but based on habit. He literally started to freak out and go weird when he was going to miss a prayer which resulted in him running around Bradford like some sort of weird hyper-caffeinated cartoon character.

To me his motives seemed nothing but religious. He often said how he has to act like his prophet and believes praying with others will get him 26x the rewards eventually etc etc

I also think Jens is old fashioned racist in that he doesn't mean to offend per se but isn't really tolerant of a lot of folk.

The most decent one of all of them seems to be the black bloke or the older woman.

Temrer

Neo Member
Anyone remember those songs about Liverpool and Bristol? Did the internet rounds years ago (NSFW):

This is how we do it in the L.I.V. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64YSK3diWZo

Bit late, but I was unfortunate enough to see this performed live - they gave this div time on stage at the opening concert for Captial of Culture.

It was ridiculous - iirc they had all of the "old school" Liverpool bands (Echo and the Bunnymen were there, and Ringo Starr as well, I think?) and the Philharmonic orchestra... and then this pure div came on and started bouncing around the stage "rapping" about his socks and trackie bottoms. :/

Meadows

Banned
Welcome ROI GAF!

Sorry for excluding you for so long! Didn't mean to.

Guess it makes sense that we share a thread because we have so much in common.

Love,

Meadows

Suairyu

Banned
dear dublin-GAF,

is it a council requirement that every sixth shop in a street is an o'brian's sandwich bar? because that's the only explanation i can come up with.

sincerely,

the good looking duck.

p.s. i once met an amazing dublin lass called rose and it was going really well until she mentioned how she thought it was sad that the irish language was dying out and i thought i'd play devils advocate and take the opposing position but she got offended and left

:(

p.p.s. how come it seems to be super common to meet eire chaps who were never taught how to swim?

Desmond

Welcome ROI GAF!

Sorry for excluding you for so long! Didn't mean to.

Guess it makes sense that we share a thread because we have so much in common.

Love,

Meadows

Shut up. We are nothing like you guys!

jk Thanks

A song to celebrate (Sorry England, replace any reference to Brittany with Ingurland if you want to)
KuGsj.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdPEvJ4Ax4E

dear dublin-GAF:

is it a council requirement that every sixth shop in a street is an o'brain's sandwich bar? because that's the only explanation i can come up with.

sincerely,

the good looking duck.

lol

Suairyu

Banned
no but seriously there are more o'brian's sandwich bars in dublin than there are starbucks in new york. it's crazy.

I'm half-Irish, do I sit in the corner unloved by all?
what does it say on your passport? gaf is all about nationality, not race. "half-irish" is something an american would say because they haven't got roots.

Wilbur

Banned
no but seriously there are more o'brian's sandwich bars in dublin than there are starbucks in new york. it's crazy.

what does it say on your passport? gaf is all about nationality, not race.

I don't know what it says and I can't be bothered to check. I shall sit in the corner until I get off my bottom.

CHEEZMO&#8482;;35720292 said:

JOIN ME BROTHER

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
here's something i've been thinking about recently

people always say something about respecting british values if you move here

do people think there is a distinctive set of british values, like say liberté égalité fraternité for the french?

i'm not sure i do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom