• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yen

Hard to say, part of me thinks yes and no. This is just pure speculating off the bat, but could maybe SF's ties to the IRA be part of their appeal to some?

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying SF supporters = IRA supporters, but for a few it could hold true.

The SDLP has made decent strides forward here in my view as a moderate nationalist party.
Agree with what you've said though you could make the case that the SDLP are fighting for relevancy amid the massive loss of votes to SF. It's not looking great when your leader can only get on the news because he can't read his autocue.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
If another political party came about that was the same as Sinn Fein but without the ties to the IRA, do you think they'd be more popular?

They are pretty popular south of the border now as they say nice things that the out of work, working classes like to hear regarding national debt, deficits, etc..
It would be nice as an experiment to see how full of shit they are if they got into power.

kharma45

Agree with what you've said though you could make the case that the SDLP are fighting for relevancy amid the massive loss of votes to SF. It's not looking great when your leader can only get on the news because he can't read his autocue.

Didn't hear about that :lol

Well he still can't be worse than Margaret Ritchie surely? She had the personality and charisma of a brick.

And that voice, ugh.

They are pretty popular south of the border now as they say nice things that the out of work, working classes like to hear regarding national debt, deficits, etc..
It would be nice as an experiment to see how full of shit they are if they got into power.

There was a video I saw a while back where either the BBC or UTV questioned Gerry about some basic economic stuff and he didn't seem to have a clue.

Edit - Found it

http://youtu.be/_UoGl78MzWY

I can't see them being a serious force in politics in the Republic of Ireland for a while yet.

Yen

Didn't hear about that :lol

Well he still can't be worse than Margaret Ritchie surely? She had the personality and charisma of a brick.

And that voice, ugh.

There was a video I saw a while back where either the BBC or UTV questioned Gerry about SFs economic policies and some basic questions about them, he got quite irate when he couldn't answer a single one.
When Alisdair McDonnell was making his speech after being elected leader, the lights were shining in his eyes, and three separate times he had to say, "For God's sake, could somebody turn down the lights."
The only other time I remember him being in the news was when he said MLAs deserve a massive payrise.

kharma45

When Alisdair McDonnell was making his speech after being elected leader, the lights were shining in his eyes, and three separate times he had to say, "For God's sake, could somebody turn down the lights."
The only other time I remember him being in the news was when he said MLAs deserve a massive payrise.

I suppose that is something to credit Ritchie with, she did have the party in the news more.

Haven't heard a peep from them of late.

Yen

They could always go into opposition with the UUP if they wanted a higher profile. Not sure how sound a tactic that would be but there is some support for it - Attwood wouldn't mind (even though he'd lose his govt job), Elliott would do anything to get in the news.

Clegg

I'd like them to explain how 1 of their TD's managed to spend 50,000 euros on printer cartridges in 1 year.

There is no way he needed even half of that. Just wasting taxpayers money.

kharma45

They could always go into opposition with the UUP if they wanted a higher profile. Not sure how sound a tactic that would be but there is some support for it - Attwood wouldn't mind (even though he'd lose his govt job), Elliott would do anything to get in the news.

A proper opposition is something that's missing in Stormont, but part of me doubt whether we could get it to work.

And you're right about Elliot, tosser.

Yen

I'd like them to explain how 1 of their TD's managed to spend 50,000 euros on printer cartridges in 1 year.

There is no way he needed even half of that. Just wasting taxpayers money.
They claimed £1m in expenses for a Westminster flat. Sinn Fein...Westminster...?

Darth Sonik

we need more FPS games
The rise of Sinn Féin here in the south is that we have had a cosy cartel of politics here for so long that only Sinn Féin (and other fringe concerns) end up as an opposition to the consensance opinion. Our Labour party is so toothless the only thing they are good for is inoffensive presidential candidates.

Especially as having a written constitution, means we have to hold so many referendums where most European countries governments can pass treaties more easily. This has given Sinn Féin the perfect opportunity to raise their profile.

kharma45

with the greatest of respect, could we keep the ROI political chat to another thread?

ta

I was gonna argue for the NI political talk being OK but we've the UK politics thread for that I guess.

They claimed £1m in expenses for a Westminster flat. Sinn Fein...Westminster...?

That always makes me laugh, surprised nothing has ever been properly done about them abstaining.

Thats Sinn Fein down to a tee.

Full of 2 faced slimy lechers.

Especially Martin Mc Guinness. I'm so glad he never became president of Ireland.
I live a mere 5 minutes from Stormont, I can pop round and tell wee Marty you don't approve if you wish? Better than that, Peter Robinson lives at the top of my street, I'll tell him to pass it on.

Clegg

I live a mere 5 minutes from Stormont, I can pop round and tell wee Marty you don't approve if you wish? Better than that, Peter Robinson lives at the top of my street, I'll tell him to pass it on.

Are you a Shinner?

I think we should put this talk to bed anyway. As Meadows said this isn't a Poli Gaf thread.

Fintan

Ha I'm from Ireland and I know barely anything about Irish politics. Every fucking lecture I've had the past couple weeks has had the same few people coming in campaigning in Student elections though.

Meadows

Banned
So in Ireland do you have the same supermarkets as over here?

I've been to Dublin once about 4 years ago. I think I remember there being Tescos?

Clegg

I've been to Dublin once about 4 years ago. I think I remember there being Tescos?

What supermarkets are there in Britain?

We do have Tescos. Thats the only British shop I can think of.

Fintan

There's Tescos all over the place, Spar too. I can't think of any other UK supermarkets that are here off the top of my head.

Over-rated spicy chicken. It's nice for a change but not the orgasmic place many will make out.

Only two I know of here are in Belfast.
The half empty Victoria Square one and the other down near Shaftesbury Square correct? I've never been, some friends of mine think it's the chicken to end all chicken.

kharma45

The half empty Victoria Square one and the other down near Shaftesbury Square correct? I've never been, some friends of mine think it's the chicken to end all chicken.

Aye that's them, although that one on the Dublin Road is usually buzzing most of the time, only been to the Victoria Square once or twice and it was moderately busy the first time and almost full the second.

The food is alright, it's nothing out of this world but it's fairly enough priced and I do like the unlimited free soft drinks as a student.

Clegg

Oh yeah, you're right. Forgot completely about them. Where's Nandos and what is it?

Its a place that serves chicken.

Theres one in the Dundrum Town Centre and another on Mary Street in Dublin. Theres another one in Dublin but I'm not sure where.

SKINNER!

Banned
Where do you live: Glasgow
Where are you from: Fife
University: Edinburgh Napier (Bachelor: Software Engineering, Masters: Applied Informatics)
Sports team of choice: Scotland Rugby Union
Current political party of choice: Greens
Barm, batch, cob or bun: Bagel
Favourite (current) UK TV show: Doctor Who? I don't watch a lot of UK shows
Oasis or Blur: neither

Nevasleep

Where's Nandos and what is it?
wtfspeechlessao8.gif

Idiots on my FB insulting random people in photos under this pretense of 'trolling'.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not devoid of humour - but I struggle to see it in a bunch of 19-20 year olds insulting kids for "teh lols".

Urgh, the internet brings out the worst in people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom