• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer GAME is dead | Brera's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rumor in some finance forums I've been lurking on is that just before close of business today, someone made a large buy of shares in Game.

The other rumor is that there will be some kind of announcement tomorrow. I've seen Wall St and smell some kind of charlie sheen style shinanighans so expect big news tomorrow morning!

I feel that Game are gonna blow the door on this thing! My plan? Once share price reaches 7p, sell up and rebuy when they plummet again when they announce their 30 million loss!

Rubbish. There was one large trade today at about 10am according to the LSE readout. It looks like an automated correction and settlement tbh. Again, stop spreading this BS. Not only is it unethical, it is borderline illegal and called pump and dump.

no angel

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed that. ;P

I'm glad I'm not the only one too!

Zomg, as much as I love reading your posts I'd ignore Brera if I were you. His schtick's boring and I'm pretty sure he's just repeating soundbites he's heard the bigger boys say on other forums.

I do love reading your posts though x

Brera

Banned
Rubbish. There was one large trade today at about 10am according to the LSE readout. It looks like an automated correction and settlement tbh. Again, stop spreading this BS. Not only is it unethical, it is borderline illegal and called pump and dump.

I've heard of pump and dump but I'm hardly gonna affect the price on gaf?!

I get all my info from lse so how can I be responsible for spreading shit from one forum to another. The only thing in guilty of is a cavalier attitude to the stock market.

I'm keeping things simple. Buy low, sell high!

Brera

Banned
I'm glad I'm not the only one too!

Zomg, as much as I love reading your posts I'd ignore Brera if I were you. His schtick's boring and I'm pretty sure he's just repeating soundbites he's heard the bigger boys say on other forums.

I do love reading your posts though x

I have to agree with you there.

I've learned a lot from his posts too. He knows his shit, if only I can get him to believe!

Game is a risky bet but I know it'll pay off! I've shat my pants several times in the last month and it's a rollercoaster but the benefits will be
Worth it!

I love your posts. No bullshit allowed, very informative.

Chopper

I get all my info from lse so how can I be responsible for spreading shit from one forum to another. The only thing in guilty of is a cavalier attitude to the stock market.

Dude. That's not the zomgbbqftw post you want to be paying the most attention to...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

...And lose all of your money quickly. Pretty simple, you're right.

That Wimpy in Liverpool's shut down now, I think. Walked past it last time I was home. I vaguely recall there being one in the Megabowl at Switch Island, though.

Also, I have £3.50 in points to spend at GAME - any suggestions? (aside from shares)

Fun for a Fiver? Advance Wars: Day of Ruin (DS) has been £5 for ages now. Best £5 I ever spent in Game.

If you have a Wii, No More Heroes and Trauma Center are both £2.99 IIRC.

Battle of the robots!

image.php

VS

image.php

Bender always wins!

Seriously though, zomgbbqftw knows what he's talking about, he's no beginner like you Brera, you should take his free advice on good faith, sell up, and thank him.
If you want to gamble we can have a pool as to when GAME will implode.
What odds will i get on it being the 3rd week of this month?

It's arguable whether they can get by not selling the titles they already aren't.

If they don't stock Kid Icarus Uprising and Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City, I think it'll be time to arrange the funeral. Will probably confirm they've more or less permanently lost Nintendo/Capcom's support too.

http://www.londonstockexchange.com/...summary.html?fourWayKey=GB0007360158GBGBXSSMM

You are getting your info from here? Which LSE are you getting your info from?

Anyway the reason I said borderline illegal is because GAF is not known for financial talk so while it would be classed as pump and dump, it wouldn't be important enough to warrant any investigation from the regulator. If there is another forum where people are talking up GMG I would stay away from that place.

Having a cavalier attitude is fine, but you need to be prepared to lose your stake and not be suffering from the clear buyer's remorse I can see. Anyway. I have a flight to catch tomorrow from Zurich so toodle-pip.

Marco1

I'm hoping that this will bring a resurgence of the local game store now were one will break release dates to get a sale.

dc89

I'm gonna go with 2nd week of June. No big games I can think of (not that they'll get stock anyway) but pre-owned and hardware will keep them ticking until then.

I expect to see them offer some tasty trade in deals for stuff like Mass Effect 3. Maybe even offering like £35-£40 in store credit, they need games like that in stock regardless. They can't have them new, pre-owned is the only way they can sell it.

You are getting your info from here? Which LSE are you getting your info from?
He's getting all of his information from here:

http://www.lse.co.uk/ShareChat.asp?ShareTicker=GMG

Which seems to be chock full of misinformed idiots such as himself. At one point he mentioned that there are other places on the Internet where he is having more mature and balanced discussions, well, this is that place, ostensibly filled with people who think they can make a quick buck because a once reputable company is now going down the shitter.

QhJyj.png

Balanced and mature discussion!

EDIT: Damn you BluWacky!

jonno394

I'm gonna go with 2nd week of June. No big games I can think of (not that they'll get stock anyway) but pre-owned and hardware will keep them ticking until then.

I expect to see them offer some tasty trade in deals for stuff like Mass Effect 3. Maybe even offering like £35-£40 in store credit, they need games like that in stock regardless. They can't have them new, pre-owned is the only way they can sell it.

Didn't MCV confirm the £35 trade in for Mass Effect 3.....

Temrer

Neo Member
Fun for a Fiver? Advance Wars: Day of Ruin (DS) has been £5 for ages now. Best £5 I ever spent in Game.

If you have a Wii, No More Heroes and Trauma Center are both £2.99 IIRC.

Ooh, ta, I'll have a look.

Gotta say though - I'm nosing around online and they've still got pre-owned PES2 (yes, #2) and Tiger Woods 2003 for sale for XBox.

Which actually raises a question - can retailers in the UK not just refuse to accept trade-ins for sports games? Is it a legal thing? Cos I'd imagine it's not just GAME who are stocked to the eyeballs with FIFA 2004 and what-not.

dc89

Didn't MCV confirm the £35 trade in for Mass Effect 3.....

I don't know. I genuinely didn't know about that when posting. Meh, am I doomed to have a mind equivalent to GAME management?

Just read that Choices UK has gone in to administration. I remember in 2007, one day the shop In my village was open, the next day it was empty, everything gone. They closed as a high street business and went online only and now that's gone bump.

They used to be cool for used games and DVD's. Got a few PS2 games from there back in the day.

jonno394

I don't know. I genuinely didn't know about that when posting. Meh, am I doomed to have a mind equivalent to GAME management?

I was asking more because I couldn't remember if I'd imagined it lol

Yes, Mass Effect 3 will be missing from shelves next week. But it won’t be the week afterwards – GAME and Gamestation are offering £35 trade-in credit against EA’s title. Expect those shelves to fill up quickly.

link

I'm thinking he's getting info from here:

http://www.lse.co.uk/ShareChat.asp?page=1&ShareTicker=GMG

Someone from GMG has posted on there to say there should be news of some kind tomorrow - whether it's good or bad who knows at this stage.

Which seems to be chock full of misinformed idiots such as himself. At one point he mentioned that there are other places on the Internet where he is having more mature and balanced discussions, well, this is that place, ostensibly filled with people who think they can make a quick buck because a once reputable company is now going down the shitter.

QhJyj.png

What a terrible place.

That website "London South East" is not affiliated to the London Stock Exchange in any way, shape or form.

Brera

Banned
I've based all my share dealings on that place! I've got shares in Lloyds and Thomas Cook.

GMG was my best performing share until last month but Lloyds and TC have picked up. TC has doubled since I bought it and is seriously undervalued. Lloyds, likewise!

I have faith, but I'm willing to risk £500 if it means it turns into £25'000 in 3 years when shares hit £3 again!

New generation has started already and Game is at the forefront of Vita sales and if Nintendo and MS want to be in for a chance, they need Game. MCV even agrees!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

QhJyj.png

Wow, awesome. zomgbbqftw, please, do something for him. It's becoming painful to read.

dc89

I don't think they need game. And If they're not selling big software titles how can they be expected to shift consoles?

It doesn't add up to me. They're in a right mess and it's going to be tricky to get out. Not impossible, but tricky.

PaulLFC

I have faith, but I'm willing to risk £500 if it means it turns into £25'000 in 3 years when shares hit £3 again!
Unless something drastic happens to change their fortunes, Game won't make it to the end of this year, never mind 3 years.

New generation has started already and Game is at the forefront of Vita sales and if Nintendo and MS want to be in for a chance, they need Game. MCV even agrees!
They really don't. Mario Party 9 got to number 3 in the charts without Game or Gamestation, and was the top selling Mario Party game ever. Mass Effect 3 will walk the number 1 this Friday, and Game must really be in a bad way to not stock it as they're losing out on millions in profits.

Hang on, big announcement tomorrow??

Its Apples iPad3 big reveal day.
Perfect time to announce horribly bad news in the hope that its completely buried and forgot about.

Where did you hear about a big announcement?

That led me to discover NotUKResistance. I have yet to determine if it's any good, but I'm strangely reassured that it exists.

Somebody in the comments also said they've heard some "disturbing news" that will likely come to light tomorrow...

Brera

Banned
Someone who claims to work for GMG leaked it on the LSE forum.

It's going to be a megaton hopefully! It's at 9 apparently. Hopefully it's GMG securing stock of EA, Nintendo and Capcom releases this month!

Brera

Banned
Half an hour left for the megaton!

The top selling game at game this week was modern warfare, probably by a country mile!

Oxx

Hmm, so I have £5 worth of points on my reward card. I might just put it towards an iTunes card.

Edit: Wow, the GAME website is a wasteland. I might have better luck finding something worthwhile in store.

Brera

Banned
I was going to make a Wall St reference at around the same time.

Buy low, sell high is all you need to know. Game has a future, it's too big to fail, it might not have goodwill with the ultra hardcore but millions of gamers and parents shop there and are happy with their trade in prices etc otherwise it wouldn't be such a winner for them.

Brera

Banned
A game inside posted on lse yesterday!

Might be bull but something interesting is bound to happen today. It's a rollercoaster ride!

StuKen

Buy low, sell high is all you need to know. Game has a future, it's too big to fail, it might not have goodwill with the ultra hardcore but millions of gamers and parents shop there and are happy with their trade in prices etc otherwise it wouldn't be such a winner for them.

Too big to fail only applies with connected systemic lobby funding industries. Have game been funding the conservative party of late?

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

Any shop or retail chain that sells material goods that can be downloaded (books, music, games, movies) will perish in the next ten years. There'll always be people buying physical copies, but it will be comparable to music lovers clinging to vinyl today. The mass market will go digital, but there'll be a niche market for special editions and the like.

I'd never invest in Game.

Woolworths.

Has GMG suddenly turned into a bank overnight? An oil company? A car manufacturer? No? Well then it isn't too big to fail. Woolworths wasn't and neither was Peacocks, the next one on the hit list is New Look which is facing similar problems with debt restructuring, only they have a possible IPO on the horizon to clear away 50-70% of their existing debt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom