• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer GAME is dead | Brera's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brera

Banned
The FT have posted a more balanced spin on the same story!

The Breratrain is back on track.

Next stop? Megabuxxville!

I'm honestly confused by the MCV hate, the article was pretty honest about it being a potential solution, just people read the headline and skimmed the article then had a fit.

If anything that article seems to be in the very least a HUGE red flag that anyone who owns shares should sell now - or they lose ALL their money invested come Monday, because regardless which route they choose to take, their stock as a company is buggered. If the OpCapita deal is dead in the water and they are really not looking at a restruturing at all...its bad news for shareholders really.

Of course Game would dispute it, because the news could have an impact on whatever negotiations are going on. Plus even if they are on deaths door, they'll want to avoid too much bad news till the bitter end really. It's PR damage control, they don't say what part of the article they dispute, just that they don't like it. Which is fair dues, they don't have to like it really.

At the end of the day I would trust MCV more than GAME's management, who seem to feel they should keep everyone in the dark till zero hour comes. Whatever happens - Sunday or Monday will bring some end to this whole mess I'm sure

The problem is that the article had the header "Gamestation to be sacrificed for new look GAME chain". That's an absolute, and leaves no room for misinterpretation. Yet reading the article makes it apparent that nothing is decided yet. There's a difference between "inevitable" and "confirmed".

There's a reason why the article was edited, and the header changed to "Gamestation may be sacrificed for new look GAME chain". But then, that's not even news; that's speculation (and obvious speculation at that).

CEX can go suck a big one too.

CEX are fantastic if you need to sell stuff, but can't be bothered with eBay. Hell, sometimes, they beat eBay.

Fuck knows why anybody would buy anything there though; their prices are outrageous.

dc89

CEX are fantastic if you need to sell stuff, but can't be bothered with eBay. Hell, sometimes, they beat eBay.

Fuck knows why anybody would buy anything there though; their prices are outrageous.

I don't think they're that bad. I remember picking up ME2 pre-owned for £12. That was a good £8-10 cheaper than any other pre-owned copy I could find ANYWHERE!

I bought a slim PS2 from there last year. Controller + memory card bundled I for £40. 1 year warranty to boot. Console works like a dream and was in top condition.

PaulLFC

So true. I remember when prices at CeX used to be quite good, I got quite a few bargains a few years ago. Now though, they're far too expensive for second hand games, especially new releases which seem to sell for near RRP for weeks after release.

Toppot

I find their prices for a lot of things alright, especially DVD's. They aren't so hot on new games but after a few months they come down nicely.

Sure they offer good prices. However most of the time in my experience they won't offer cash for the games making lame excuses for giving you credit only.

Plus the staff in my local branch are a waste of space when you need some help. Haven't stepped foot in a CEX store since as a result.

I find their prices for a lot of things alright, especially DVD's. They aren't so hot on new games but after a few months they come down nicely.

Oh, don't get me wrong; their DVD prices are fantastic. But their game prices are terrible. Newer releases are near RRP, and you can easily find cheaper (brand new, no less) at supermarkets or online, and older gems are expensive on account of CEX being quite savvy at knowing what's rare/popular (fair play to them on that). But you'll still always find things cheaper on eBay.

If you get a game that falls somewhere between being a new game and a "classic", you can get some OK prices, but nothing incredible.

Sure they offer good prices. However most of the time in my experience they won't offer cash for the games making lame excuses for giving you credit only.

Plus the staff in my local branch are a waste of space when you need some help. Haven't stepped foot in a CEX store since as a result.

The customer service there is non-existent.

I hate how many targets Game/Gamestation drill into their employees, but at CEX, it seems like they aren't held to any kind of standards at all. They'll flat-out ignore customers wandering around looking confused/standing in the queue waiting to be served, and just goof around.

CEX's prices are high due to people paying with their credit coupons. When you have those things youre locked into buying from that one store, so you're a trapped customer.
They're not stupid :p

Bumhead

Banned
CEX seems to exist in some wierd bubble where normal consumer trends and retail experiences don't matter.

My local store is a crazy place. It's the only shop I know of where you can listen to Scandinavian Death Metal one minute and then total ambience the next. It's also got the longest queues and slowest serving times despite having by some margin the most staff working at any one time. Seriously, it's perfectly normal in my store to see a queue of 9 or 10 people, with only 2 out of 8 tills being manned, and 6 or 7 other staff just loitering behind them dancing or staring into space.

It's fucking weird, but they destroy GAME, Gamestation and HMV for trade in prices normally so it's worth it.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
NO!

I've got £250 in GMG as a last ditch gamble...my gf is gonna beat my ass now!

shannon-sharpe-meltdown-o.gif

Brera, has nobody told you that you can short shares too? You don't just need to buy them in the expectations that they would go up. If I was you I would have hedged and put in a short when the shares hit 4p last Friday. At least now you'd be looking at profiting as the share price dived. Hey ho.

Anyway, Game killing Gamestation would be stupid, as it's a stronger brand at this point but as we have seen, GAME Group's management board are utter idiots, so maybe the story is accurate.

So true. I remember when prices at CeX used to be quite good, I got quite a few bargains a few years ago. Now though, they're far too expensive for second hand games, especially new releases which seem to sell for near RRP for weeks after release.

Liverpool branches seem especially bad for poor condition games, too.

Seriously, it's perfectly normal in my store to see a queue of 9 or 10 people, with only 2 out of 8 tills being manned, and 6 or 7 other staff just loitering behind them dancing or staring into space.

QFT omg QFT

I've been in a 10+ person queue and there's been one till open and maybe 7 staff behind the counter doing nothing.
Maybe CEX staff are like Paramedics and have to take a mandatory break in which they're legally stopped from working even if the biggest emergency has happened?

QFT omg QFT

I've been in a 10+ person queue and there's been one till open and maybe 7 staff behind the counter doing nothing.
Maybe CEX staff are like Paramedics and have to take a mandatory break in which they're legally stopped from working even if the biggest emergency has happened?

Exactly.
Can't say I've had a good experience trying to trade in stuff. Blackberry, A condition. Thought I'd trade for store credit, and then buy a PS2 slim with that. FINALLY get served after ten minutes, girl looks at my phone, and makes up a bullshit reason not to take it: 'oh you have to call Blackberry themselves to wipe it properly, we don't accept them otherwise.'
I assured her you wipe the phone from the phone menu, and I'd done it twice over. She refused to believe me, and kept telling me to contact Blackberry. I yelled to the girl yo homes smell ya later!
Sold on Ebay for £90 instead of £62, and got a PS2 Slim on Ebay for £42 instead of £52.

bitoriginal

Exactly.
Can't say I've had a good experience trying to trade in stuff. Blackberry, A condition. Thought I'd trade for store credit, and then buy a PS2 slim with that. FINALLY get served after ten minutes, girl looks at my phone, and makes up a bullshit reason not to take it: 'oh you have to call Blackberry themselves to wipe it properly, we don't accept them otherwise.'
I assured her you wipe the phone from the phone menu, and I'd done it twice over. She refused to believe me, and kept telling me to contact Blackberry. I yelled to the girl yo homes smell ya later!
Sold on Ebay for £90 instead of £62, and got a PS2 Slim on Ebay for £42 instead of £52.

Excellent. :lol

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Okay, well I pre-ordered a copy of Tales of Graces F from them, so they better cough up the DLC and game, or else I will be majorly disappointed.

herod

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17455742

Game Group suspends shares from trading

Shares in the video games retailer Game Group have been suspended after the company said it considered there was no equity value left in the group.

The firm has seen its business eroded by competition from online-only retailers, such as Steam and Amazon.

Last week, Game confirmed that a number of suppliers were refusing to do business with the company.

Analysts say Game is now looking for a suitor, with US rival Gamestop being named as the leading candidate.

Suairyu

Banned
The shares have been suspended.
Oh man. This thread is about to get interesting.

QFT omg QFT

Taking a quick guess, I'm going to assume if they're hired for their look (dyed hair, piercings, tattoos) than their retail experience.

That and I managed to hold up an entire line once because I bought some anime from them and the cashier wanted to chat about anime with me. Felt real bad for everyone behind me, but I did learn about Spice and Wolf so there ya go. Also got into a Virtua Fighter vs Tekken conversation once. Those guys just do not give a fuck about good cashier etiquette.

And it always smells in there.

Misfits

Neo Member
So Brera now has money tied up in something and can't sell up!?

i don't want to sound cruel, but it's his own fault if he's lost money. everyone told him not to do it but he refused to listen, so i don't have any sympathy for him to be frank.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
So Brera now has money tied up in something and can't sell up!?

Basically, they are worthless. When it comes to administration, unsecured creditors come at the back of the queue and equity is very much unsecured in this case. Anyone with shares are looking at pretty much a 100% loss at this point.

See, this is why I've only ever invested in rare-earth mining companies or tech startups.

Well, I only invested in one mining company, but I made 25% profit. Bought a computer with it.

Dynoro

This seems an apt day for this news

Guardian said:
Up to 40% of high street shops 'could close over next five years'
Four out of 10 shops will have to shut in the next five years as consumers turn their backs on traditional stores in favour of online shopping, according to a report which casts more doubt on the future of the beleaguered British high street.

To remain competitive, retailers may have to reduce their property portfolios by 30–40% in the next five years and adapt what remains to meet the changing demands of consumers, Deloitte said. The growing trend in the US for large warehouse-style retail outlets to have free in-store Wi-Fi to help customers shop online is expected to spread around the world. Tesco has already announced plans for such facilities in its UK stores.

Music and film retailers have seen the most dramatic shift, with more than half of CDs and DVDs now sold online, excluding downloads, according to retail consultancy Verdict Research. Game is not the only retailer in trouble: HMV plans 60 store closures while others such as Zavvi and Borders have gone bust.
Link

To describe it as a rollercoaster would be mild.

Hey Brera, I wonder if you'd be interested in my new company, JonBuysNiceThingsForHimselfCorp. I can expect as good a return on your investment as last night's £250. You can have any change from me buying things, see.

Oh and my Nigerian uncle has an interesting proposal

Brera,

My name is Mr Amine Kane. I am the Director in charge of Auditing Section of Bank of Africa (B.O.A) in Burkina Faso West Africa. I hope that you will not expose or betray this trust and confident that i am about to repose on you for the mutual benefit of our both families. Please i kindly request your hand for assistance, i have a business proposal in the tune of $13.600.000.00 (Thirteen Million Six Hundred Thousand United States Dollars only) to transfer into your bank account.

After the successful transfer of this fund into your bank account we shall share the fund in ratio of 40% for you and 60% for me. Sincerely if you are interested we can commence all arrangements for investment in your country, and i will give you more information and details on how we will handle this project successfully.

Please treat this business contact with utmost Confidentiality and send me the following information's below for easy communication to enable us commence immediately:

(1) Full names......................................
(2) Private phone number....................
(3) Current residential address.............
(4) Country…………………………
(5) Occupation.................... ................
(6) Age and Sex...................................

Thanks,

Mr. Amine Kane
Director of Auditing Section

EDIT: Can't believe I was fucking beaten (in a manner of speaking.) Curse you JonathanEX!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
When children play at being adults, theres always tears before bedtime. But really guys, you should stop feeding it.

Ben Parfitt has certainly making a name for himself at not being very good at this game journalism malarkey recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom