• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer GAME is dead | Brera's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sporran

I guess regardless of what we think of the company, should spare a thought for the 1000's of employees who dont know what will be happening to them.

Not nice for them.

SLV

Sheesh, Brera has done goofed, but after reading his trading forum, that was linked a few pages back, some people were in for like 25 k or something ? LOL

Omikaru

I guess regardless of what we think of the company, should spare a thought for the 1000's of employees who dont know what will be happening to them.

Not nice for them.

This is true. There are a number of GAFers who are learning about GAME's future from us, rather than the company.

Hope they all land on their feet soon after this, but the UK's job market is hardly great, and it's only going to get worse.

Omikaru

Whilst the comedy act of Brera was on my mind, I was also thinking about people like checkeredknight and other GAF'ers employed by the firm.

Seriously, I hope everything works out for you guys.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
They cancelled my order no sweat, and refunded me. They were also very courteous in the process and don't seem to realize they're going under.

Hi SMT,

Thank you for your email.

I’m sorry to hear that you wish to cancel your order with GAME.

We have followed your instructions and your order has now been cancelled.

Whilst we were unable to satisfy your request on this occasion, we do look forward to you visiting our website again in the near future.

Regards,

Sam F

Cut and paste, or clueless? You be the judge.

Can't believe GAF was down when shit hit the fan. I REALLY wanted to see Breras reaction.

Well, the shit is more being thrown up towards the fan, they've got the 10 days to sell/fall completely haven't they?

Though without Brera I did have the enjoyment of following London South East forum.

Xun

Managed to buy PGR3 for 48p in Gamestation!

I thought I'd get it since I only had PGR4 and loved the hell out of it.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Well, game.co.uk, should have a lot of value. Probably one of the clearest assets that is worth anything.

Haha, I guess I will be visiting that url sometime in the future lol.

I'll be interested to see what Deloitte do...or more precisely what they can do to stop the tide. They've got a few days to decide which stores to keep and probably already has some preparation. Also makes me wonder if OpCapita will be rushed back to the table.

Just to confuse things I can see the brand becoming Gameplay for some weird reason...oh and The Hut adds GAME and Gamestation to their collection of aliases.

Welp. Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to Bolton I go! I can't see us stopping trading as early as Monday, but I figure I'm going to opt-out and move away regardless. There's a spare room in my friends house waiting for me, I'm most likely going to make the jump up there next month.

I'm just hoping I can find a job relatively quickly. I have a bit of financial backing already and a lot of experience. Anything is going to be better than finding another job in this town; it has one of the highest unemployment rates in the UK atm, and for good reason.

toythatkills said:
Brera's busy trying to find out whether it's too late to put all his money in ChoicesUK.

Lmao. We need more reaction gifs, where are you brera?!

Dambrosi

Banned
I've been told they're selling games for as little as 48p to clear stock today. Is that bulltrue?

If you don't mind old FIFAs and Tiger Woods, then yeah, they've been doing that since last week. If they're still open after the weekend...who knows?

Oh, and before I forget, my condolences to all of GAME's and Gamestation's oppressed workers. Hope you guys land on your feet.

Patryn

Welp. Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to Bolton I go! I can't see us stopping trading as early as Monday, but I figure I'm going to opt-out and move away regardless. There's a spare room in my friends house waiting for me, I'm most likely going to make the jump up there next month.

I'm just hoping I can find a job relatively quickly. I have a bit of financial backing already and a lot of experience. Anything is going to be better than finding another job in this town; it has one of the highest unemployment rates in the UK atm, and for good reason.

Lmao. We need more reaction gifs, where are you brera?!

Good luck!

Why Gamestation shops? Cos there's usually just one GS store per town, instead of 2 or a ridiculous 3 GAME's. Plus as even GAME-loving Ben Parfitt tweeted, GS is the stronger brand, certainly with gamers, which is exactly what they need during the next gen transition.

Why do you say that? Gamers don't buy from GAME, parents do, kids do, and people that happen to be in town when the idea of a game takes their fancy do. "Gamers" are mostly buying online, I'd think.

I mean, we're all gamers, and I bet if you did a poll here of where the last place people bought a new release game from, not many people would say GAME.

Faddy

Banned
Parents will go to the high st game store regardless of what its called.
If they brought Gamestation back to what it was a few years ago i know i'd be frequenting there a lot more than i have been.
All they need to do is flush out that GAME feeling they got forced to inherit, you know what i mean? GAME was the Wii of game shops.
Clean, white, family friendly, "safe"..........boring, short-lived.

yeah, i went there. Its been a HELL of a day. *drinks*

Gamestation was good before it was sold to GAME. The stores had a more rough and ready feel and although it was still part of a big chain it had a bit of an independent feel to it. After being sold there seemed to be more racks of used games but maybe that is just the way the retail industry was headed.

There are still good indies out there. G-Force in Glasgow is my local favourite but more and more I find myself buying online. Games retail is dying and I'm not sure if I am too bothered by it.

Brera

Banned
Hello guys!

Like others have said, shame gaf was down all day! It wasn't a meltdown on my part, just emptiness. I played the market and lost due to inexperience. A lot of people made a killing but many more lost a shitload more which has put it in perspective.

One guy is a student at uni and put in 2.5k and lost it all while another 25k! I lost a couple of hundred which I can save back up in a month.

It was worth a punt but my biggest mistake was not selling up 2 Fridays ago and rebuying on the Monday at 1p and selling again on the Wednesday.

You learn these things I suppose but there are people and business out there with hundreds of thousands of shares and have lost it all!

Shareholders and employees have lost out and it looks like the board at GMG are free to make all the same mistakes again and will likely keep their jobs. The speculation is that they would not take any offer that would involve them losing control!

I'm gonna miss the homer.gif :-(

Shareholders and employees have lost out and it looks like the board at GMG are free to make all the same mistakes again and will likely keep their jobs. The speculation is that they would not take any offer that would involve them losing control!

I'm gonna miss the homer.gif :-(

I expect the banks will appoint their own administrator before the end of the week is out and they will force the board out completely. Any buyer in a pre-pack will not want entrenched management, especially not these guys given how awful they are.

Just so I know, how much would you have lost if you had taken my advice and bailed out at 4.1p?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom