• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer GAME is dead | Brera's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well I guess I'll just go to a store tomorrow (don't have my card on me) and pick up anything remotely interesting even if it ends up being a pack of Pokemon cards.

kafiend

Anyone keeping Game alive in any form will end up closing loads of stores. Basically anywhere with more than one store in close proximity.

The stupidity of having multiple stores a few doors away from each other was what got Game in the shit in the first place.

So anyone saying that staff will be largely unaffected is talking bollocks.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well the Oxford Street branch is likely to stay. I wonder if Hamley's will keep them as the games outlet or decide to sell game themselves. Although they are around the corner from each other people tend to stick to one street when they go to the Circus.

PaulLFC

Wow, quite the success rate. GAME will certainly be in safe hands there.
KuGsj.gif
was thinking the same when I read it.

Cookie18

Out of interest what's the consensus on gift cards getting refunded? I've got some credit on a gift card that I wanted to save for Disgaea 3 but since there isn't anything I want to buy and they're not likely to be open by April 20th the credit will just go to waste.

Out of interest what's the consensus on gift cards getting refunded? I've got some credit on a gift card that I wanted to save for Disgaea 3 but since there isn't anything I want to buy and they're not likely to be open by April 20th the credit will just go to waste.
Work on the basis that past this weekend you'll be in possession of a random piece of plastic rather than anything that's worth something.

Omikaru

My advice is if there's nothing you want out just yet, simply convert any gift cards and reward points into credit for another store (like PSN or XBL) via redemption codes. That way, whilst the money is technically tied up in those services, you can hang onto it and spend it on some DLC or downloadable game in the future, and not feel under pressure to spend it on anything right now.

surly

Banned
I feel sorry for the people who will lose their jobs, but GAME are piss takers as a company. Even now, look at this: -

lEkVa.jpg

Mass Effect 2 with a sticker over the "2" and at number 1 in their charts.

I feel sorry for the people who will lose their jobs, but GAME are piss takers as a company. Even now, look at this: -

lEkVa.jpg

And the sticker covering Miranda's face to further hide it's the ME2 box.

I'd say fire the manager but that's already going to happen.

Cookie18

My advice is if there's nothing you want out just yet, simply convert any gift cards and reward points into credit for another store (like PSN or XBL) via redemption codes. That way, whilst the money is technically tied up in those services, you can hang onto it and spend it on some DLC or downloadable game in the future, and not feel under pressure to spend it on anything right now.

I may well just do that since the only other thing I am interested in at the moment is Silent Hill: Book of Memories but I doubt Game will last long enough to see that release either :/

It really sucks for the people that may lose their jobs but if the Game downsizing option comes off at least it wouldn't mean the games industry would be without a major highstreet presence.

Jaffaboy

lEkVa.jpg

£17.99 for it Pre-owned? Wow, good luck selling a single copy at that price.

Zomba13

lEkVa.jpg

I noticed that sort of stuff on the preowned games last week. I was looking through and saw Gears 2 cheapish, except you wouldn't know it was Gears 2 because they had the sticker over the number. Not on the ME level but still...

mclem

lEkVa.jpg

To be fair, the price sticker is in the same spot on the other discs around it, too. Although the number 1 is highly suspect.

I have a game card with a fiver on it so I will certainly try and use that for something, but how does the loyalty scheme work with Game? I know they assign points per purchases, is it a case of you build up so many points and then can transfer those points into discounts like the fiver I already have? If so is there any way for me to find out easily in store how many points I have on my card on top of that fiver.

Annoyingly the online store wont let me assign my card to my profile, so im blind as to all that stuff, any info from people here would be fantastic.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

lEkVa.jpg

GAME won't be missed

what a shit company

News Bot

Banned
So when is GAME's last day of operation so I can go in and scope for any dirt cheap pre-owned games? The two stores closest to me don't have bargain bins, so opportunities are rare. :|

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I have a game card with a fiver on it so I will certainly try and use that for something, but how does the loyalty scheme work with Game? I know they assign points per purchases, is it a case of you build up so many points and then can transfer those points into discounts like the fiver I already have? If so is there any way for me to find out easily in store how many points I have on my card on top of that fiver.

Annoyingly the online store wont let me assign my card to my profile, so im blind as to all that stuff, any info from people here would be fantastic.

Since it sounds like you can only do it in store, just go up the the guy behind the counter and ask him how much in on your card. You can use all of that towards a purchase. No need to convert it into £5 instalments. What is odd is if you buy something with points you still get the points, so I ended up with some leftover points when trying to get rid of them.

lEkVa.jpg

Holy shit, that is stupid. Please don't anybody presume every store is doing shit like this, because we're not.

Spinning Plates said:
If anyone snags a copy of Mass Effect 3 from GAME be sure to check the disc is actually ME3. I would not put it past them.

I always check my second-hand discs before I leave the shop anyway.

they put the price for the first game up too, it's selling for 12.99.

£14.99 at Gamestation. Prices are creeping up day by day, yet still stickered as if they're on sale.

Speaking of high prices, when I'm putting sale stickers on stuff, I'm constantly seeing instances of a game only a penny cheaper than it was before. Considering we're supposed to put two stickers on each sale game (one for the original price, and one for the sale), we're told to "make up" an old price, as it looks ridiculous to put on a sale sticker that's only a penny cheaper.

So for example, if a game that was £9.99 is in the sale for £9.98, I'd put a £14.99 sticker on it, and then a £9.98 sale sticker right underneath it.

daviyoung

Banned
GAME have reduced their 3 for £10 PC games at my store.

Got DMC3 and Codemasters racing pack (GRID, Dirt and Fuel) for £2.

RIP GAME.

Don't be bloody ridiculous! Killzone 2's being sold for about £6. Let's not go mental here.

Meanwhile, at Mr. Sam's local Gamestation:

R8E8Wl.jpg

Right at the end of all things, and they are still pulling crap like this and ME2 disguised as 3 which got them into this mess in the first place.

Also, does it annoy anyone else how little coverage this story is getting in mainstream news? Admittedly the administration is not full blown just yet, but if this was a retailer of just about anything else it would be plastered all over news sites. Hell Peacocks got loads of attention! 6000 jobs are potentially on the line here! This is a major retailer in the UK.
Guess gaming still has that sort of stigma attached to it by most news media like Charlie Brooker has pointed out. You know the type: watching the presenters on Breakfast fumbling around the subject on the release of new AAA title. How they don't play games, why do adults play them, they're so weird, they're too violent etc. It's all horribly embarrassing to watch.

Almost as bad as the segment on violent games on the Alan Titchmarsh show of all things. One guy from the games industry getting shouted over by 'experts' who admit they don't play games.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7_aJtpUWT4

Oxx

The box of Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 had a sticker over the numeral, but that seemed to confuse the sales assistant more than it confused me. He did seem quite confused as he rummaged around the great drawer of DS shit.

Still, if I hadn't have been paying attention I would have walked out of Gamestation with the first game in the second game's box.

Meanwhile over at #savegame:

Poor kids. GAME must mean everything to them.

Shelves in my local GAME are starting to empty:
I like how they've given up trying to label things. You can see touchmaster whatever on the shelf at two different prices.

Still, if I hadn't have been paying attention I would have walked out of Gamestation with the first game in the second game's box.
Reminds me of when I got F-Zero Maxinum Velocity in a beaten up F-Zero GP Legend box from the Oxford Street HMV. It being Oxford street I couldn't exactly return it and I didn't own F-Zero Maxinum Velocity so whatever
I since got two copies of F-Zero GP legend for £1.98 and £0.99...the latter sealed...with its price sticker on :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom