• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer GAME is dead | Brera's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel sorry for the people who will lose their jobs, but GAME are piss takers as a company. Even now, look at this: -

lEkVa.jpg

Mass Effect 2 with a sticker over the "2" and at number 1 in their charts.

Putting it at number 1 is really stupid, but don't read anything into the sticker over the 2.

All stickers have to be kept tight to the top right corner so it inevitably covers important parts of the cover - Nintendo products are the worst as regular stickers cover the Wii logo and the sale stickers cover the 3DS logo.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Hull's Princes Quay store is dead, posters say it's "moved" to the other unit in St Stephen's. Despite recent practices it's sad to see the store go, it's been there for as long as I can remember.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
what's the story with GAME in ireland? I check into the one in the ilac center every other day or so but there's never any big discounts.

Yeah, nothing too great. They're not even honouring their big new '75% trade in value guaranteed!' thing, as far as I can tell. Went to trade in dungeon hunter alliance (unopened), and when they rang it up it was nowhere near 75% of the €45 they were charging for it on the shelf.

And I noted them selling certain 3DS games preowned for the same price Gamestop two doors down are selling them new.

I worked in that very store many moons ago, and I'll be sad to see it close, but as a customer they make it very hard as of late to trust them. Of course this may all be rather academic over the next few days...but a nice 'proper' closing down sale might leave us with some good memories.

The 75% offer is being added in stages over a couple of days from what I read, I think Vita stuff is either today or tommorow. Also it's 75% of the pre-owned selling price.

what's the story with GAME in ireland? I check into the one in the ilac center every other day or so but there's never any big discounts.
I managed to get a WoW Cataclysm CE for €25, but I doubt that was really a store level thing, just getting rid of the big box.

Nothing interesting to see reduction wise.
Cheapest retail place for Rayman Origins I believe though.

Calmine

Looks like I'll get more profit than GAME.

Was in there today, had the whole 75% off thing, pretty crap when they're selling preowned MW2 for 19.99.

I did get one thing though, Assassin's Creed Revelations collectors edition on ps3 for £2.50!

Made use of my points and £15 on gift card from a friend, so bargin. Already got the game so off it goes onto Ebay for Profit.

Danj

Went into GAME again today, the empty shelf unit had been removed and the other units closed ranks, so everything looked almost the same as before. Still no significant price drops, but I did notice they appear to be selling what I'm assuming were originally promotional COD MW3 T-shirts (in the little packets that look like Capri-Sun orange packs) for £6.

I had to do more price changes today, and as per normal, everything is creeping back up in price.

Don't go out of your way to Game or Gamestation looking for bargains, as you'll end up disappointed. The only really good deals they had were on things like collectors editions, accessory-based games (like DJ Hero), and old strategy guides. But as already pointed out earlier, these things will have disappeared ages ago. And stop waiting for a "closing-down" sale. As Joetheblow said, this is as close as you'll get. Even if/when things do go tits up for Game Group, the remaining stock will be seized by creditors, not reduced further.

Game/Gamestation now get next to no stock from head-office (be it new or used), and they are completely at the mercy of people trading stuff in. However, this gives way to another problem; they offer way too much for newer titles. They give £35 trade-in for Mass Effect 3, SSX, Street Fighter X Tekken, etc. This means they then have to sell these games at £37.99 used. Considering that you can get brand new copies cheaper elsewhere (and bear in mind that some of these games have activation codes that will have been used), they aren't selling. We've had two copies of Mass Effect 3 on PS3 traded in a few days ago, and neither has sold, despite being positioned at the counter in full view of every single customer.

Game/Gamestation are buying stock in at ludicrously high prices, and are unable to shift it, as the prices are too high. They're just digging an even deeper hole for themselves.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
My local is selling the Gears 3 limited edition for £12.98 and the standard edition for £29.98.

ಠ_ಠ

wouldn't surprise at all if Blockbuster's game department is next!!

they had Deus ex priced at £40 pounds , LBP 2 at £35 :-/

don't know how they get away with robbing people like that.

Rich!

wouldn't surprise at all if Blockbuster's game department is next!!

they had Deus ex priced at £40 pounds , LBP 2 at £35 :-/

don't know how they get away with robbing people like that.

Speaking as an ex-manager, Blockbuster is in absolutely fine shape as far as games go.

Those prices you're talking about are obviously new retail ones - LBP2 is a tenner pre-owned. And remember - a significant majority of pre-owned games in a Blockbuster store are ex-rental copies. These games have already paid for themselves through rentals, and any purchases made are pure profit for the company. If they don't sell, then lol ah well, who cares. They can reduce them as much as they want without losing any cash - hence why Gears 3 was £12 pre owned a month ago - same for Arkham City.

louie

The guy at Game yesterday got really offended when I asked if I could check whether or not the preowned xbox 360 they were selling me was working fully. I've been burned before on the 360, so all I wanted to do was make sure. Long story short - he refused and so I had to walk away.

dc89

Speaking as an ex-manager, Blockbuster is in absolutely fine shape as far as games go.

Those prices you're talking about are obviously new retail ones - LBP2 is a tenner pre-owned. And remember - a significant majority of pre-owned games in a Blockbuster store are ex-rental copies. These games have already paid for themselves through rentals, and any purchases made are pure profit for the company. If they don't sell, then lol ah well, who cares. They can reduce them as much as they want without losing any cash - hence why Gears 3 was £12 pre owned a month ago - same for Arkham City.

Yeah! I've picked up a few bargains at Blockbuster over time.

Inside gamestation today. The shelves were full as if 2 weeks ago never happened.

The window displays were getting a bit more desperate though. 3 PS3s, 3 360 (one slim, 2 elite) then a wall of crap such as Black MotionPlus and White Motionplus together for £10 and PSP 3000 (boxed) for £90.

daviyoung

Banned
The guy at Game yesterday got really offended when I asked if I could check whether or not the preowned xbox 360 they were selling me was working fully. I've been burned before on the 360, so all I wanted to do was make sure. Long story short - he refused and so I had to walk away.

Come on man, it's a lot of wires.

I know its annoying, but he's probably a bit fucked off with the knowledge that he'll be losing his job soon and there's nothing he can do about it. Fair enough he should still do what he's payed to do, but they're far fromideal circumstances to work in. I'd be crap at my job if I knew I was days away from unemployment

Talking to a guy at work yesterday and he said he heard they were closing in October. I was like, "Really? I thought they'd be dead by next week".

I'd be damn surprised if they manage to keep going till October!!!

Do you guy's think they well be getting any if at all new releases ?

They still have Max Payne 3 up for pre order as well.

There was actually a chance to make money out of the mess.

If people bought during the 10 minutes shares were at 0.50, and sold when they hit a high of 3.40 after that drop, then I guess people could have made something of worth.

Also, that would have been a crazy gamble.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Game isn't dead until the shutters come down and they stop trading. =P

When can we expect a closing down sale? I fancy picking at the carcass.

dc89

I know it's a tiny chance, but imagine if GAME start trading on the stock market on Monday morning. Brera will go for broke!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom