• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer GAME is dead | Brera's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goron2000

best junior ever
With Game and Gamestation seemingly gone, that really does make HMV the only major games retailer as far as I'm aware. Sure, CEX sell used goods, and you can buy games from Blockbuster, but really, HMV are the biggest chain left.

Quite sad really. I'll never forget waiting in a crowd of over a hundred people for the Halo 3 midnight launch at Game.

I heard HMV are in trouble, if they expanded their games sections or even opened stores specializing in games maybe they could fill the void left by GAME and save themselves.

to bad Gamestop (or whoever gets the chain stores )won't employ the retail workers from GAME's collapse.

That makes no sense. It is very likely that Gamestop (if they buy in a pre-pack) will keep quite a few staff on to work in Gamestop. There is no reason to train all new staff and interview 2000-3000 people when they are likely to have the old Game employee database and will be able to call up the best performing staff and offer them their jobs back if they still want/need them.

That's usually how it works.

Misfits

Neo Member
It does make some sense. Hiring new staff means they can pay minimum wage and not have to worry about attitudes/ideas from old staff.

With Game and Gamestation seemingly gone, that really does make HMV the only major games retailer as far as I'm aware. Sure, CEX sell used goods, and you can buy games from Blockbuster, but really, HMV are the biggest chain left.

Quite sad really. I'll never forget waiting in a crowd of over a hundred people for the Halo 3 midnight launch at Game.

Was a year ago I went to my local GAME for the 3DS launch.

I actually bought mine from Morrisons as it was way cheaper but a friend got theirs at GAME. Staff were all lovely and friendly, made a nice thing of the event and were nice at the other half's purchase of a large Sackboy plush instead of a 3DS.

But hey, you do what you can within the direction dictated by the corporate overlords.

I'll have Notepad++ on standby tomorrow.

It does make some sense. Hiring new staff means they can pay minimum wage and not have to worry about attitudes/ideas from old staff.

Too expensive to train people (and do you believe that Game employees are not already on the minimum wage or there abouts?). By and large the employees of Game are not to blame for the predicament that the company currently faces and very little retraining will be required for store staff. I wouldn't be surprised if they hired new store management and area level management, but for regular staff it makes sense for them to be contacted to reapply for their jobs which chances are they will be given back. At least for the locations that are going to be sold.

Huh. I'd not heard anything of store closures so soon either, but I guess it makes sense. Will wait and see... I'm supposed to be in at twelve tomorrow. At least we'll get all our pay up until now, that's the important thing for me at the moment. There's going to be a lot of pissed off customers with gift cards if we do close tomorrow. Should be... interesting.

Best of luck everyone! :D

Brera

Banned
Good luck to everyone tomorrow.

I don't think Gamestop need to worry about old ideas and habits from Game employees. GMG basically stole the operating manual from Gamestop.

Yesterday, I was informed by management (I work at a Gamestation) that we're not opening at 9am tomorrow. Instead, we're waiting for a conference call that will say which stores stay open and which ones close. Any stores closing will do so immediately, and staff will be sent home.

I'm willing to bet only one store will remain open in each area; that being the most profitable one.

My store isn't the most profitable in the area, and we're located dead-opposite a GAME, so I think my store will be closed. Though it's been sounding likely that all Gamestation stores will be closed, with the exception of a select handful (probably those not located near a GAME), which will be turned into GAME stores.

This post has been retweeted a few times on twitter, even by Parfitt from mcv.

Cookie18

Most intelligent goddamn thing you've said in the whole thread.

Still no rumours out as if it even is GameStop who is interested. But i can't see someone not taking on the GameStation stores (like was said earlier, GAME shops are dead weight), its basically a free pass into a huge gaping high-st hole.
Guess we'll hear more tomorrow. I wouldn't be surprised if a RBS approved investment group bought the name and stores and did it themselves without another top-heavy corporation coming in to fuck things up.
The shaky situation on the UK high street, especially with businesses so easily replaced by the Internet, can't support such costly corporations now and in the future, as has been seen over the past couple of years.

I just hope we aren't left with the hole regardless of whether it's an investment group or GameStop that maybe takes it on. This will suck balls for the industry and it'll leave the trade in market with a huge loss which would have a knock on effect for how many people buy new games in the first place.

I predict that too many people rely partly on trade ins so they can buy new games and that will in turn have an effect on games sold in the first place.

Does anyone have a clue what this will mean to non-UK Game stores? There's a ton of them around Sweden and I've seen them elsewhere as well (in Prague, among others). The manager as the local store here in Sweden claimed that they're a separate company and won't be affected but I can't see how. If McDonalds went belly up I wouldn't expect the local franchises to stay.

Danj

Good luck to all soon-to-be-former employees of GAME and Gamestation, while I've never worked in a games store I have worked in retail establishments that have gone out of business so I have some idea what it's like. Hope you're able to get a job elsewhere soon.

Does anyone have a clue what this will mean to non-UK Game stores? There's a ton of them around Sweden and I've seen them elsewhere as well (in Prague, among others). The manager as the local store here in Sweden claimed that they're a separate company and won't be affected but I can't see how. If McDonalds went belly up I wouldn't expect the local franchises to stay.

I would assume they'd be seperate subsidury companies and if they're profitable should be easy for the administrators to sell off

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I heard HMV are in trouble, if they expanded their games sections or even opened stores specializing in games maybe they could fill the void left by GAME and save themselves.

The last time I was there they were pretty much the same second-hand gaming store that GAME and Gamestation were.

HMV are just as bad as GAME for pricing and pre-owned. I wouldn't pin your hopes on those guys becoming some gaming retail powerhouse. Most of their stores don't even stock PC titles any more.

SKINNER!

Banned
If McDonalds went belly up I wouldn't expect the local franchises to stay.

It's kinda weird in some ways. I recall when Virgin Megastores went under and all their stores were closed here. One month later I went abroad and found the same store (not a Zavvi btw) open and in business.

LordAlu

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/rbs-game-bid-gathers-press-momentum-as-store-closures-loom/093350

Two more national newspapers have reported that The Royal Bank of Scotland is leading a consortium of bidders interested in acquiring The GAME Group.

Yesterday MCV reported that a Sunday Times story claiming that the state-owned bank was interested in saving GAME from collapse.

This morning The Telegraph reports that “it is understood that RBS, one of the company’s six lenders, is leading a plan to buy a stake in Game after it is placed into administration today”.

It adds that “people familiar with the matter have been left puzzled over why Game’s lenders refused to accept a fully-funded bid from OpCapita last week, which would have prevented it from falling into administration”.

The Daily Mail, meanwhile, reports that RBS “is leading a group of lenders to stricken Game Group who are working on plans to buy the slimmed-down retailer out of administration”, adding that “the RBS consortium is expected to roll the existing debt of about £85m into the new company”.

The idea of a state-owned retailer still seems far-fetched. Of course, the Government would prefer to see national retailers kept in business, but if RBS bankrolls GAME then what of the next retailer to hit trouble?

Whatever the outcome, it seems likely that many stores will be informed of their impending closure today as administrators PwC attempts to streamline the company ahead of its official entry into administration.

Raide

^

Since the videogames business is a big money maker for the UK, it makes sense for them to keep GAME going. Personally I would rather it die and something else spring from its grave. If they do keep it going, loose all the high-end management and start again. Strip it down to the basics of selling games for various formats and offering decent prices. GAME was bloated with too much hi-management bullshit. No wonder people hated the place. Get rid of those stupid in-store things that staff are forced to do like pre-orders, pushing points cards and the like.

Brera

Banned
So RBS basically cheated me out of my shares?

One more reason to hate those cunts who ruined our economy with their shady dealings in the US and already cost the UK thousands of jobs directly and indirectly.

One more reason to hate those cunts who ruined our economy with their shady dealings in the US and already cost the UK thousands of jobs directly and indirectly.

Not really. It was your insane optimism and downright foolishness that cheated you out of money.

keep+it+real.jpg

MRORANGE

Went to the main store in London over the weekend, it still seems like they sell a lot of things, although you do see some game stands filling up with toys instead of actual games.

StuKen

No wonder people hated the place. Get rid of those stupid in-store things that staff are forced to do like pre-orders, pushing points cards and the like.

Razor thin margins on software thanks to the completely broken business and distribution model of the industry forced them and every other retailer into that space. Anything that spring up in its place will be identical.

PaulLFC

Razor thin margins on software thanks to the completely broken business and distribution model of the industry forced them and every other retailer into that space. Anything that spring up in its place will be identical.
I'm not so sure. Grainger aren't like that, at least the one in Liverpool. They stand at the tills until you either bring them a game or ask them for help. Then they serve you, maybe talk about games for a bit but don't try to push any preorders or accessories. It's the way it should be.

acm2000

or more like GMG buying all its main competitors and being stuck with insane rent and rates bills with 2-6 stores in the same towns/cities is what caused this mess, they have insane buying power to get prices down from the wholesalers

competitions commission should never have allowed the GS take over

I think this is all quite sad to be honest. Game always got new releases to me at least a day early, and it was always a nice surprise checking the website every few months, and seeing you had a nice amount of reward points to spend.

The only times I ever had to deal with CS on the phone they were always extremely helpful and sorted things on the spot.

But yes, the number of stores they had opened at times boggles the mind. I live in Manchester and at one point they had two stores in the Arndale and one inside Debenhams - all within a couple of minutes of each other. That just doesn't make sense at all considering the price of rental space in the city centre.

I never had problems with staff in the main Arndale store either. I've never been hassled when I went in there and certainly never had them try to upsell me anything.

Raide

or more like GMG buying all its main competitors and being stuck with insane rent and rates bills with 2-6 stores in the same towns/cities is what caused this mess, they have insane buying power to get prices down from the wholesalers

competitions commission should never have allowed the GS take over

Yeah, some of the larger towns and cities with multiple GAME shops is just crazy. 1 larger store should be more than enough.

My home town has exactly 1 game shop and that is GAME. If they go under, there will be a gap. Almost tempted to start my own game shop. :D

Danj

Apparently Sky News is now reporting that GAME is entering administration this morning and that no buyer has been found. Not that this will surprise anyone. There's no actual story link yet, it's just in the yellow BREAKING NEWS ticker at the bottom of their website.

dc89

Apparently Sky News is now reporting that GAME is entering administration this morning and that no buyer has been found. Not that this will surprise anyone. There's no actual story link yet, it's just in the yellow BREAKING NEWS ticker at the bottom of their website.

Let me turn my TV on.

acm2000

Yeah, some of the larger towns and cities with multiple GAME shops is just crazy. 1 larger store should be more than enough.

My home town has exactly 1 game shop and that is GAME. If they go under, there will be a gap. Almost tempted to start my own game shop. :D

i live in a modest size town, 100k-150k (edit: google results say 125,000) people, we have 2 GAME's, and 1 Gamestation, why?

dc89

i live in a modest size town, 100k-150k people, we have 2 GAME's, and 1 Gamestation, why?

My GF who lives in Preston has 2 GAME's in the town centre and 1 Gamestation with a CEX over the road from it. 1 GAME on a out of town retail park and when Borders was on the very same retail park they had a GAME store inside the Borders too.

WTF.

Dynoro

i live in a modest size town, 100k-150k (edit: google results say 125,000) people, we have 2 GAME's, and 1 Gamestation, why?

Exactly like where I live; one GAME or Gamestation would be plenty - the queue is never long enough to even warranty two shops

LordAlu

It's also on the ticker at the bottom of the Sky News TV channel. (Edit: Beaten)

I haven't heard anything from work yet... I may pop into town to see what news (if any) the business has given us.

So long GAME. We had some good times. Most of my collection is from GAME (online). Various deals, etc. Good times.
Haven't bought anything from them in a while, though.

Good luck to all those employees.

dc89

Just seen this on the Sky News website.

Think it might be time to cash in on the £60+ I have on my Reward Card!

Go buy a load of MS Points or PSN vouchers. You could pick up a pre-owned PSP or DS too at that price, might even get two.

I live in Leeds. There are two Games and 1 Game station in town. One game in a retail park just outside town (like 1/2 a mile) and one at a shopping centre maybe 3 miles away. Absolute insanity, they want max 1 in town (biggie) and maybe a smaller on at the shopping centre.

kafiend

Coming from someone who was engaging in a very similar activity with the spending of money in a company that was extremely likely to fail with the hopes of huge returns. The irony is delicious.

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member
The press speculation of an appointment today all but confirms that the bank are appointing their own administrators via their right as secured chargeholders. Their is no listed hearing in any high court in the country so at least this has been taken out of the directors hands and someone can start to unravel this mess.

If it is Price Waterhouse Coppers that is taking the appointment they probably stand to make at least £10,000,000 from this.

Deloitte made close to £10,000,000 from the administration of Woolworths and this is a much larger undertaking especially due to the Company structure and international operations.

Good luck to everyone affected. If any employees want any impartial advice on how to make a claim in administration and/or what you would be set to receive please feel free to PM me and I will try to help where I can.

Brera

Banned
Coming from someone who was engaging in a very similar activity with the spending of money in a company that was extremely likely to fail with the hopes of huge returns. The irony is delicious.

My actions didn't cost jobs. I invested in the company thus kept them going for a few seconds more!

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
My actions didn't cost jobs. I invested in the company thus kept them going for a few seconds more!

You didn't do any investing. You ploughed around looking to make quick easy money off the back of a failing company with potentially thousands of job losses.

The fact that you didn't directly profit from people's misery thanks to own shitty decision making is just icing on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom