• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer GAME is dead | Brera's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brannon

The administrators are legally obliged to pay you for all services given from the moment they took control of the company.

They are not obliged to (read: will not) pay you any wages earned prior to the moment the company entered administration.

So, basically, this month's paycheck will only count hours worked starting from today. I hope you have a little bit saved up for emergencies. I was in the same boat as you a few years ago with Music Zone.

You.. you know what you have to do come packing day... never mind, you guys are lucky *scoff*

still leaving this here though.
ShiftyEyes.gif

Quite surprised about the Birmingham New Street Gamestation branch closing as it was once touted the biggest Gamestation store in the UK.

When it still had a downstairs I heard it was supposed to be the biggest videogame store in europe. They had so much awesome retro stuff down in that basement.

PaulLFC

From what I've heard, the Rhyl branch of GAME is open, but the Gamestation is gone.

Am I right in saying that both GAME stores in Liverpool have closed?
I think so yeah. The addresses on the list match up with the two Game stores, so it seems both Gamestations are still open. GS Lord Street is definitely still open.

shaneskim

Wow read about all the Irish stores closing and PWC saying that they wont be paying any reduntancy to the staff.
That sucks for those who have worked there for a few years.

The administrator is not responsible for paying any redundancy payments. Any claim is dealt with by the Redundancy payments service.

robrymond

Neo Member
Wonder what they'll put there instead? Pretty major stores in a shopping centre that is otherwise pretty crappy. Could do with getting an Apple Store in and get rid of the fake one we have.

Edit: there are actually Stoke-GAF in here beside me? Woah.

Yes, I am more a browser, but in this case thought I'd pop up. I was one of the senior sales upstairs.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
They are closing my local GAME. Shit. That means the only places now are ASDA, Tesco, Argos and Cex. I usually buy over the internet but it's still a loss.

Almyn

They are closing my local GAME. Shit. That means the only places now are ASDA, Tesco, Argos and Cex. I usually buy over the internet but it's still a loss.

In my town it's pretty much only Asda now that Game have closed up. Tesco always has a pretty bad selection and HMV and Gamestop have both closed up here within the past 2 months. Asda is surprisingly decent for new releases actually, And can often have good prices for stuff that's been sitting on the shelves for a while, FFXIII-2 for £20 for instance.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
friend of mine was the manager at one of the Dublin stores a year back. He wasn't too happy today knowing 6 of his friends got fired. shit sucks.

There are many, myself and checkeredknight among them. :(

Just out of curiosity LordAlu, are you guys in the same boat as us? We have no real clue as to what's happening... just that we're still needed to box the stock up. No idea how long it will take, whether or not we will get paid and if we'll be told to leave even before we get it finished. PM me if needs be, but no worries if you'd rather not say.

Just a heads up to everyone on GAF, thanks for the kind words. This is the only place I've seen on the net give some nice responses. Everywhere else seems to have people just whining about not being able to spend gift cards (not that I blame them, but still...)

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
In my town it's pretty much only Asda now that Game have closed up. Tesco always has a pretty bad selection and HMV and Gamestop have both closed up here within the past 2 months. Asda is surprisingly decent for new releases actually, And can often have good prices for stuff that's been sitting on the shelves for a while, FFXIII-2 for £20 for instance.

ASDA is better than Tesco for sure but its pretty shitty to not have a dedicated videogame store. GAME, as bad as they were, had their moments.

I definitely wasn't expecting the Game in Liverpool One to close, surprised at that as judging by the amount of people shopping around Liverpool One all the time I'd expect it to be quite popular.

The Gamestation in Huyton has closed :( I was planning to check there at some point if I was in Huyton, one of the guys in Gamestation Liverpool said they get a lot of retro stock. Too late now :(

Seems that Gamestation in Warrington is gone, but no St Helens stores. Surprised about that, the last time I was there they had a Game and a Gamestation in the same shopping centre. Seems they've both survived for now.

That's true actually. The rent would be pretty high as Liverpool One has a lot of brand name and well known shops so I'd guess competition for space was high. I assumed as the L1 store was pretty new and in an attractive location for any buyers they'd keep it, but if the rent outweighs the profits, then there's not much point.

I sometimes forget that Liverpool One despite being outdoors mostly, is still a traditional shopping mall, and an upmarket one at that with very high rents as you say. Though it is likely the L1 game pulled in more revenue than say the St Johns GS, the rent probably ate away massively into it, making it a low profit store, hence the closure as zomg said.

St Helens retaining both stores actually doesn't surprise me. Town of around 100,000+ people, plus further out areas (Prescot, Rainford, Ormskirk, etc etc), and the only competition in the town centre is HMV in the very same shopping centre, between Game and GS ironically. Add to that the rent won't be ridiculous, and anecdotally they've always been pretty busy, they're probably pulling in enough profits. I.e. St Helens has the right conditions to support two stores for now at least.

Didn't even know Huyton had a GS. As for Warrington, well I'd wager the recently regenerated shopping centre bumped up rents hugely. Plus there seems to be more competition.

Carbonox

They've closed the 3 game stores (2 GAME shops and a Gamestation one) in Stevenage town centre (my town).

Gonna be weird not seeing them open in town. As if our town centre didn't look trashy enough with its overdose in discount and trade-in shops.

LordAlu

Just out of curiosity LordAlu, are you guys in the same boat as us? We have no real clue as to what's happening... just that we're still needed to box the stock up. No idea how long it will take, whether or not we will get paid and if we'll be told to leave even before we get it finished. PM me if needs be, but no worries if you'd rather not say.

Just a heads up to everyone on GAF, thanks for the kind words. This is the only place I've seen on the net give some nice responses. Everywhere else seems to have people just whining about not being able to spend gift cards (not that I blame them, but still...)
I don't have full details yet as it was my day off yesterday, but my manager got a conference call yesterday afternoon explaining what's happening. From what I understand, it's pretty much a case of packing every single piece of stock up and booking it off the system so it can be collected and transferred elsewhere.

As far as pay goes, all wages till the end of week 9 (so 31st March) have been put aside in a trust fund, so anything worked this week will be paid on the correct pay day so long as your payroll is completed correctly in store.

I should get some more details today when I go in. If there's anything else I'll let you know :)

Also, I'd like to echo checkeredknight's sentiments and thank GAF for their support for us and all the other GAFfers who are (ex)GAME/GS employees. :)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Just saw that Croydon lost the one in the Whitgift centre. That was a GAME that moved inside while the old store outside the centre was replaced with a GameStation. Always thought it was weird that they'd want to "move" away from the highstreet. Oh well haven't shopped in Croydon in years since I left school long ago and the one I used to use was already dead since it was in a Debenhams.

SKINNER!

Banned
ASDA is better than Tesco for sure but its pretty shitty to not have a dedicated videogame store. GAME, as bad as they were, had their moments.

Midnight launches will never be the same now.

I can just imagine the huge queues that'll form outside Asda and Tesco now. Normal shoppers will probably wonder what on earth is going on.

Moss

GAME in Winchester was closed today. Had a handwritten sign on a piece of A4 paper. Classy.

I walked down the high street to M&S and it was open. I walked passed it again 20 minutes later and it was closed forever. Nearest store was Eastleigh, apparently. Surprised they kept that store open over the Winchester one.

When HMV inevitably bites the bullet there'll be nowhere left to buy games in the town centre.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
All the ones close to me shut that's Blackburn, Burnley and 2 in Preston

The two gone in Preston are in town, there's another one open at Deepdale Retail Park. Gamestation still open though.

Deepdale one just has 4000 copies of Fifa08.

You guys from the area? My GF lives in Fulwood.

Huh. I remember that a few of my university coursemates worked at the Preston Gamestation. Not sure if they would still be there. Of course, some were at the CEX directly opposite. Crafty shop placement.

dc89

Yeah. CEX is over the road from Preston Gamestation. With two Game stores going in Preston now the city centre will be even more of a ghost town. Half the mall is shut where Game has now closed.

There used to be a pretty good indie game store on Garstang Road which closed down a few years back.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Yeah. CEX is over the road from Preston Gamestation. With two Game stores going in Preston now the city centre will be even more of a ghost town. Half the mall is shut where Game has now closed.

There used to be a pretty good indie game store on Garstang Road which closed down a few years back.

Half of the mall is shut now? That's not a good sign. Place seemed pretty full when I was studying, left in early 2011.

dc89

Half of the mall is shut now? That's not a good sign. Place seemed pretty full when I was studying, left in early 2011.

Yeah, last time I went in with the GF. It's the one near CEX, St George's or what ever it's called.

Anyway, There's a huge empty store on the first floor at the end near CEX which was DB3, that closed before Xmas. Then there was that indie DVD and game store opposite which closed. La Senza closed in the middle of it. A book store closed. Game has closed. Wallace has closed. Dorothy Perkins and Burton are closing soon, if not already because they are not profitable. I mean WTF! They are on the side facing the high street!

Gowans

Ha I mate of mine has said on facebook he has £38 worth of reward points to spend, only wanted Mass Effect 3 and they didn't have it.

He's had plenty of warnings tho.

Anyone have a link to that FAQ I can send him?

riprapp

Neo Member
Just wanted to echo the thoughts of many others and wish those affected by the store shutdowns the very best.

Once upon a time I too, for my sins, served GMG, and though I've long since departed the world of gaming retail there remain fond memories of midnight openings, terrible shrink-wrap machine smells, PES sessions on slow days, and some truly entertaining customers...

dc89

Just wanted to echo the thoughts of many others and wish those affected by the store shutdowns the very best.

Once upon a time I too, for my sins, served GMG, and though I've long since departed the world of gaming retail there remain fond memories of midnight openings, terrible shrink-wrap machine smells, PES sessions on slow days, and some truly entertaining customers...

Any stories you can share about entertaining customers?

Seeing some anger on Facebook as people realise that they still have gift cards from christmas to spend and will be heading in to use it, and some people are going to try and trade in lots of stuff before you go down (not realising cash trades are now cancelled).

So yeah, best of bloody luck, this has to be a retail floor-workers nightmare come true.

Yup, already had some of that yesterday and I'm working for the next few days as well. Not looking forward to the rest of the week.

Gowans

Just saw a tweet about a comment someone left on Games FB page.

They traded in a vita yesterday and weren't told the situation, they have £220 on a gift card. Owch!

Marco1

It seems the only store close to me is in Belfast city centre.
I hope they do well but I still think the high street in general is doomed. I hope everyone finds themselves something else.
Someone asked for a funny story in retail, I remember when I worked in a sports store and a lady with loads of attitude brought in a set of mens swimwear. Before I could start she was giving me grief and loving the fact that the queue behind her was getting longer.
I explained she couldn't change them because they had been worn but the lady insisted they hadn't. Once I had turned them inside-out and asked were the huge skid-marks had come from, she snatched them off me and disappeared out the store.

disco

I'm glad it went over the GameStation but it's still sad since I have been going to that Game for almost as long as I can remember.

Edit: Yay, I am now a full member :)

Are you sure? I thought that GAME was only there about a generation? I remember buying my first Wii there on launch night. Prior to that, that GAME was in a different place in the shopping centre and was previously an EB Games. That's where I bought my N64 and GC. :D

Jubbly

GAME and Gamestation closures - the complete list

Here is the full list, as reported by Retail Week. As we revelaed earlier, a total of 277 stores have closed resulting in 2,104 job losses.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/store-closures-begin-at-game-and-gamestation/093365

"Manchester (Trafford) 124 Peel Centre, Trafford Centre"

Is that both of them? They had one upstairs and another directly underneath downstairs, which is a great example the retardation amongst that firm's management.

Bru

The Game in Oldham (Spindles shopping centre) has closed for business. I've frequented that store for years and first visited when it opened as part of the Electronic Boutique chain. It's going to be strange for a videogame store not to be in that particular unit.

The staff will be missed… I always found them friendly and well informed. My best wishes go out to them and all Game/Gamestation employees who have found themselves in this terrible situation.

I explained she couldn't change them because they had been worn but the lady insisted they hadn't. Once I had turned them inside-out and asked were the huge skid-marks had come from, she snatched them off me and disappeared out the store.

This thread was turning into a bit of a downer recently, but now we are back on track!

xxczx

Deepdale one just has 4000 copies of Fifa08.

You guys from the area? My GF lives in Fulwood.
I live on Callon, lol.
Anyway, There's a huge empty store on the first floor at the end near CEX which was DB3, that closed before Xmas. Then there was that indie DVD and game store opposite which closed. La Senza closed in the middle of it. A book store closed. Game has closed. Wallace has closed. Dorothy Perkins and Burton are closing soon, if not already because they are not profitable. I mean WTF! They are on the side facing the high street!
The DVD and game store was Replay or something wasn't it? I remember there being another one too called Game Exchange near H&M which closed shortly after it opened.

29 Broadway's closed in Accrington. I dunno if that's the Game or the GameStation, but most likely the former. I have shopped in both those stores for nearly ten years, I hope the staff in whichever store has closed can get the hell out of Accrington to find new jobs soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom