• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

shaowebb

Not Marvel, but I thought you guys might like this.

awesome said:
Who here wants a free fighting game? KOF XIII is free for PSN + right now

Game is insanely good and now its free for plus-ers. Do yourself a favor and grab it up.

Now that I'm done plugging some other fighting game what M.O.D.O.K. team ideas has everyone dabbled with (if any). The guy is really fun if a little odd and he can be pretty scary with the right tools. Thought it'd be fun if we picked him up as the next hot potato topic to bounce around ideas for.

Praises to EvilLore for tempering the evangelical liberals.

Seriously. Without naming names, reading the OT became a chore in certain threads just because you knew when Pandora's Box would be opened.

Evilore is dabess mang, he did it.

Canada Cup in 2.5 weeks, gotta scout T13 this week too...someone hook me up with a Bankai T_T

Now that I'm done plugging some other fighting game what M.O.D.O.K. team ideas has everyone dabbled with (if any). The guy is really fun if a little odd and he can be pretty scary with the right tools. Thought it'd be fun if we picked him up as the next hot potato topic to bounce around ideas for.
I fought a MODOK/Wesker/Sentinel that perfected me 3 times. So good. The unblockables, the pressure - ah, it's too much to handle!

On the Wesker note, what the fuck. I've never picked him before until today, and his damage is off the charts. I get 665K for 0 bars. That's more than Firebrand with 1 bar. -_-

Also, check this Morrigan combo (just messing around):
s.LMH, Dark Hole, Soul Drain, fly, j.S, s.S, sj.MMHS, Samurai Edge, Soul Drain, fly, j.S, s.S, sj.MMH, dp.H, Finishing Shower.

Total damage? 487,600. Oh Morrigan.

Also, comboing off of Wesker's Mustang Kick L is harder than I ever thought, and I don't understand why people don't throw Jaguar Kick out there since it's safe on block with the proper cancels.

Edit:
Neat fact: Post-gunshot teleports don't count against the maximum number of specials Wesker can do in the air.

onionfrog

I fought a MODOK/Wesker/Sentinel that perfected me 3 times. So good. The unblockables, the pressure - ah, it's too much to handle!

On the Wesker note, what the fuck. I've never picked him before until today, and his damage is off the charts. I get 665K for 0 bars. That's more than Firebrand with 1 bar. -_-

Also, check this Morrigan combo (just messing around):
s.LMH, Dark Hole, Soul Drain, fly, j.S, s.S, sj.MMHS, Samurai Edge, Soul Drain, fly, j.S, s.S, sj.MMH, dp.H, Finishing Shower.

Total damage? 487,600. Oh Morrigan.

Also, comboing off of Wesker's Mustang Kick L is harder than I ever thought, and I don't understand why people don't throw Jaguar Kick out there since it's safe on block with the proper cancels.

Edit:
Neat fact: Post-gunshot teleports don't count against the maximum number of specials Wesker can do in the air.

Yeah wesker gets pretty dumb damage off the most basic combos. In regards to gunshots not counting towards the number of allowed air specials, I think it's because it's considered a command normal.

Why did capcom give wesker buffs, yet give hsienko nothing?

Yeah wesker gets pretty dumb damage off the most basic combos. In regards to gunshots not counting towards the number of allowed air specials, I think it's because it's considered a command normal.

Why did capcom give wesker buffs, yet give hsienko nothing?
Nothing?! You call being able to throw barrels and lightning rods nothing?!

In all seriousness, while Hsien-ko still sucks, she got some good stuff, like jump-cancelable normals, which now means she can do respectable damage in a combo.

onionfrog

Nothing?! You call being able to throw barrels and lightning rods nothing?!

In all seriousness, while Hsien-ko still sucks, she got some good stuff, like jump-cancelable normals, which now means she can do respectable damage in a combo.

I know they actually did give her some buffs, but its still disappointing that she's so bad. I'd be happy if she just had better mobility. Not that we'll ever see another balance patch anyways.

I still have fun playing with hsienko as is though

JeTmAn81

If you spend a little time practicing dashing at the right moment, it becomes more natural. I shake my head at Viscant still doing the H grab.

I know they actually did give her some buffs, but its still disappointing that she's so bad. I'd be happy if she just had better mobility. Not that we'll ever see another balance patch anyways.

I still have fun playing with hsienko as is though
Indeed. LLND makes her look decent, though.

If you spend a little time practicing dashing at the right moment, it becomes more natural. I shake my head at Viscant still doing the H grab.
Oh, you have time to dash and attack after it? I was trying to connect a normal straight off the command grab. I'll mess with that, thanks.

Do Wesker's bullets have piercing?

JeTmAn81

I expect it to get totally ignored in the weekly thread, so here, have about 3 hours of Mexican Marvel with some Combofiend commentary in there IIRC. Combo was using his Nova/Spencer/Strange team all day, but failed to make top 4 (as did Frutsy and Taekua).

http://www.twitch.tv/versusmx/b/334779662

Marvel starts at about 1 hour into the stream.

There is an amazing Haggar comeback at 1:37:23. Before it happened, I was thinking to myself "it's impossible for Haggar to come back".

"Oy, el reset! What an answer!!! QUE REPUESTA!!!"

JeTmAn81

Indeed. LLND makes her look decent, though.

Oh, you have time to dash and attack after it? I was trying to connect a normal straight off the command grab. I'll mess with that, thanks.

Do Wesker's bullets have piercing?

Yeah, it took me a while to figure that out after watching guys like Yipes combo off the non-wallbounce grabs quite easily. I didn't even know that you could combo off them outside of the corner. You can dash almost immediately after the grab animation begins, but the exact timing just takes practice.

My usual procedure is to dash right after the grab immediately into L, M, Cobra Strike into teleport. After that I'll pick them up with Samurai Edge into the wallbounce, so it's pretty much the typical Wesker combo though I'll usually find myself using an assist to let me get an M, H before the wallbounce after the Samurai Edge pickup due to greater than normal hitstun caused by starting the combo with a command grab.

Yeah, it took me a while to figure that out after watching guys like Yipes combo off the non-wallbounce grabs quite easily. I didn't even know that you could combo off them outside of the corner. You can dash almost immediately after the grab animation begins, but the exact timing just takes practice.

My usual procedure is to dash right after the grab immediately into L, M, Cobra Strike into teleport. After that I'll pick them up with Samurai Edge into the wallbounce, so it's pretty much the typical Wesker combo though I'll usually find myself using an assist to let me get an M, H before the wallbounce after the Samurai Edge pickup due to greater than normal hitstun caused by starting the combo with a command grab.
Cool beans. Right now my 10-minute combo is c.LMH, qcf.L, teleport, Dark Harmonizer, df.H, s.MH, qcf.M, dash, c.MHS, sj.MMHS, Dark Hole, df.H, qcf.L, teleport, df.H. Builds a little over 1.5 bars. I need to watch those Jaguar Kick videos to see what more can be done.

There is an amazing Haggar comeback at 1:37:23. Before it happened, I was thinking to myself "it's impossible for Haggar to come back".

"Oy, el reset! What an answer!!! QUE REPUESTA!!!"

Ah yes, I remember seeing that live. Man, the venue got really fucking hype at that moment XD

yS7Nx.jpg
WATXs.jpg
XBhjX.jpg

I love Cap's simplicity, dat Sam Alexander Nova alt, and the Ronin alt.

Wanna buy the Steve Rogers alt, but alas I am poor.

Cool beans. Right now my 10-minute combo is c.LMH, qcf.L, teleport, Dark Harmonizer, df.H, s.MH, qcf.M, dash, c.MHS, sj.MMHS, Dark Hole, df.H, qcf.L, teleport, df.H. Builds a little over 1.5 bars. I need to watch those Jaguar Kick videos to see what more can be done.

Here's his strongest BnB structure. You'll have to play around with it based on your assists. Jaguar Kick videos are made by a dude that stole my 6 month old tech and said it was new, then made harder combos that do less damage. :|

MODOK/Dante/Strider? I know he has some obscene unblockables on incoming characters but I don't know enough about the character to tell you what the best construction for them are.

shaowebb

Yeah since M.O.D.O.K's biggest weakness is his lack of lows him and Wesker OTG gunshot go together pretty well. His slime OTG works fine on its own for combos but so far as corner pressure goes and mixups that OTG is probably his best buddy for life.

Anyhow yeah, MODOK pretty much walls off where he doesn't want you to go to setup for a single shot. Usually either a throw or something that starts you bouncing for his combos. Sometimes he just gets lucky with bomb or cube though. You ALWAYS have to be doing something and setting up stuff to control space with MODOK, but if you are good at it he can be a major problem for folks because his offense is built around forcing you to move into the spot he wants to punish. Most seem to try and force teleports or superjumps with him if they are good, because if they know how to pressure folks well they know when their openings are in his barrage and use those moments to go airborne and go for their really scary air control. His dash and knockdowns up there are great for starting combos and he can convert off throws really well.
MODOK/Dante/Strider? I know he has some obscene unblockables on incoming characters but I don't know enough about the character to tell you what the best construction for them are.

Not bad. Strider would be great to make it even harder for folks to get away with jumping or teleporting and would likely net him that first hit he fishes for. You might be able to use X-23 for this team though since he can get assists while up in the air and they come out blind. I'm not certain how hard Ankle slice is to punish on reaction to her audio when you don't see it, but dashing down with S or balloon bombing before the assist and then coming in with S would probably be super nasty on folks. Plus, you know he has poor lows and this would help in general. This way you have an assist for in the air and one for when you are on the ground. Dante is generally good for everyone, but crystal would probably do pretty good here unless you are going full zoning. Full zone use jam session, setting up for combos and corner control use crystal for blockstrings.

I miss Frutsy.

Yeah since M.O.D.O.K's biggest weakness is his lack of lows him and Wesker OTG gunshot go together pretty well. His slime OTG works fine on its own for combos but so far as corner pressure goes and mixups that OTG is probably his best buddy for life.
I'd like to see someone run MODOK/She-Hulk/projectile assist. She-Hulk has the same assist value Wesker does (for MODOK, at least), but MODOK's Shield Barrier is wicked for She-Hulk since it lets her go for command grabs without having to worry about repercussions. Plus, the Abegen setup of Mighty Punish -> Taking Out The Trash works with MODOK's command grab (except his command grab hyper is waaaaay better than Thor's).

I think MODOK/She-Hulk are BFFs, but who would actually put them both to use on a team? :-/

The third character needs to have an assist to get She-Hulk in, and to give MODOK projectile pressure. I'm not yet decided on it, but Rocket Raccoon seems like a fairly good choice. Ideally, it's someone that MODOK can abuse with his weird air mechanics.

shaowebb

I'd like to see someone run MODOK/She-Hulk/projectile assist. She-Hulk has the same assist value Wesker does (for MODOK, at least), but MODOK's Shield Barrier is wicked for She-Hulk since it lets her go for command grabs without having to worry about repercussions. Plus, the Abegen setup of Mighty Punish -> Taking Out The Trash works with MODOK's command grab (except his command grab hyper is waaaaay better than Thor's).

I think MODOK/She-Hulk are BFFs, but who would actually put them both to use on a team? :-/

The third character needs to have an assist to get She-Hulk in, and to give MODOK projectile pressure. I'm not yet decided on it, but Rocket Raccoon seems like a fairly good choice. Ideally, it's someone that MODOK can abuse with his weird air mechanics.

RR would be awesome for protecting MODOK from teleports and jumps and if She-Hulk sees a body flying through the air she can convert the hell out of it from log too. Plus think of your pressure game in the corner where this match will definitely go. MODOK pops barrier on an incoming and you don't know whether he is going to use Raccoon and fish for throw or low or whether he is gonna dash up and go for She-hulk low and his own air stuff. And lets not forget that if he forces you behind barrier in the corner and has a low assist he can get Jamming bomb without much effort and BORK your controls.

That team sounds pretty legit. I'd love to see it in action. One wrong move and you are opened up.

Zissou

I feel like against a heavy zoning team, if Modok goes down, she-hulk would get destroyed for free with just log trap assist.

@Solune: I was thinking about our matches to give you more feedback, and one thing I noticed is that you tend to be pretty free to air throws.

I feel like against a heavy zoning team, if Modok goes down, she-hulk would get destroyed for free with just log trap assist.
Hum, I'm not sure. I'd need to see it in action.

Log trap also uses up her wall bounce, not a good luck. Spitfire might be better.[/URL]
Good point.

Skipping half of his magic series in the air. Those combos don't seem to do as much as my more basic one, except for the last one.

How much damage are you doing? I find it hard to believe you're doing more than that with your combo. I'm not skipping half the magic series, I'm deliberately not doing them so I can fit more heavy attacks.

How much damage are you doing? I find it hard to believe you're doing more than that with your combo. I'm not skipping half the magic series, I'm deliberately not doing them so I can fit more heavy attacks.
It's still skipping even if the action is deliberate.

IIRC, I did the following combo and it did around 660K (glasses off):
c.LMH, qcf.L, df.H, s.MH, qcf.M, c.MHS, sj.MMHS, Dark Hole + df.H, s.S, sj.S, df.H

Something like that. Or maybe I ended it with qcf.L, df.H.

I just picked your team, and this combo does about 600k meterless with glasses-on:

2MH xx qcf.L, dfH, MHS, jMMHS, Dark Hole, dfH, qcf.H, qcf.M, dash up S, jS, Teleport H, dfH

My glasses off bnb does about 760k meterless.

edit: tested with your team, does like 680k

I just picked your team, and this combo does about 600k meterless with glasses-on:

2MH xx qcf.L, dfH, MHS, jMMHS, Dark Hole, dfH, qcf.H, qcf.M, dash up S, jS, Teleport H, dfH

edit: tested with your team, does like 680k
Looking at your video, combo 1 does 556K, combo 2 did 645K, combo 3 does 740K meterless. I already said combo 3 does more than mine, so I'm not sure what you're arguing about. It just doesn't seem worth it to leave the M's out of your magic series for a little more damage.

Of course your combo will do a little more, if you're starting it from a j.S and using better combo assists. That wasn't my point.

Tirael

I meant to say not a good "look" instead of luck.

Cell phone.

Hey man, shame you're retiring from Marvel for now, but I'm glad you'll still be in the thread.

Personally, I haven't played Marvel in months. I still watch videos from this thread and stuff, but ever since one of my two main training partners has a better-than-50% success rate with Vergil's loops, it's just not fun to play with him any more. So much damage and meter gain......it just means I have to open him up many more times than he opens me up, which sucks because of Vergil's ten billion active frames. My other sparring partner has expressed interest in playing again, though, so maybe I will.

I've actually been playing a lot of SSFIV:AE recently. My two characters currently are Dudley and Rose. I honestly can't see Dudley working well in a game like Marvel, though I'd love to knock people out. LIKE A GENTLEMAN.

GENTLEMANLY PICTURE TIME.

oj0tZ.jpg

Marz

Man I wanna jump into the fray so bad now that i've picked my teams and all that but i'm embarassed cuz I get blown up so much:/ Got some decent combos down but in an actual match movement and opening people up is very difficult for me lol.

The numbers I just gave you are using your team and starting from 2M...
I was responding to this line:

Was that with my team, too? Because it's weird to have two lines talking about my team, and then another not talking about my team and instead talking about "your" bnb.

Your communications are not clear.

Passing this around.

Man I wanna jump into the fray so bad now that i've picked my teams and all that but i'm embarassed cuz I get blown up so much:/ Got some decent combos down but in an actual match movement and opening people up is very difficult for me lol.
Don't worry about it. No one here is good.

I was responding to this line:

Was that with my team, too? Because it's weird to have two lines talking about my team, and then another not talking about my team and instead talking about "your" bnb.

Your communications are not clear.

Passing this around.

Don't worry about it. No one here is good.

oh, 760k with nemesis, 680 with dorm.

Zissou

So much damage and meter gain......it just means I have to open him up many more times than he opens me up, which sucks because of Vergil's ten billion active frames. My other sparring partner has expressed interest in playing again, though, so maybe I will.

You aren't killing Vergil in one combo?

Solune

@Solune: I was thinking about our matches to give you more feedback, and one thing I noticed is that you tend to be pretty free to air throws.

Just like that Magneto video, I'd go to tech but for some reason or other I time it too early or too late. Cause i KNEW you would air throw just didn't tech out of it. I'm not too beat up about my losses because we were both using off teams and I need more experience with characters. Honestly don't fight Skrull at all, not to discredit you or anything.

SCIENCE!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EPLumklT0_g

oh, 760k with nemesis, 680 with dorm.
Thank you for clarifying. I'd rather have more meter than 10K more damage.

Who's good to play with dormammu? I think I'm gonna run dorm/wesker/skrull

Assists aren't that great though...
Terrible Dormammu team, and you never want Dormammu on point unless you have Double Lariat. He gets smacked around like a demigod by fast characters at the start of the round.

yea mags/dante/shuma is poo.

.......why hasn't anyone done Viper/Dante/Rocket Racoon yet?
Chrisis has weird opinions.

No one has done Viper/Dante/RR because no one has done anything with RR yet in the USA.

Vergil has very little active frames on his moves.
Indeed, I meant to post this earlier but forgot. Vergil's normals are massive, but their active frames are few, so you have to time them well and know where you're hitting.

Just like that Magneto video, I'd go to tech but for some reason or other I time it too early or too late. Cause i KNEW you would air throw just didn't tech out of it. I'm not too beat up about my losses because we were both using off teams and I need more experience with characters. Honestly don't fight Skrull at all, not to discredit you or anything.
No one fights Skrull. I don't understand why no one uses him, though, since he's clearly really good. He's like the anti-everything.

Top Bottom