• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Tirael

i imagine you could save a meter to kill vergil. i don't really practice optimized combos with him, i still do his vanilla bnb :(

cr.LM st.H -> Mighty Swing -> j.MH -> Mighty Swing -> j.MHS -> Shield Skills xx (x-factor), st.MH -> Shield Skills -> s.S -> j.MHS -> Legion Arrow

That actually does help, because it looks like an easy place to put in an X-Factor, and I notice a couple more hits squeezed in there.

That's extremely similar to the normal combo I do. However, usually I start with cr.M because the hitbox on that thing is ENORMOUS, and take out the stuff sandwiched between the two Shield Skills and only do one of them. I guess if I did the one you suggested, it'd be a lot more likely to kill Vergil, I need to see how much damage it does.

Man, going back to Marvel after playing Street Fighter is going to be so weird. I remember when I first started playing Street Fighter, (after playing Marvel for a while,) and I was like, how am I supposed to get around, I can't move!

You need to learn some Taskmaster combos, because he can chain hypers as long as he wants. You shouldn't need to burn X-Factor to kill Vergil.

But it's haaaaaaaard. Seriously, I've tried it and the frame seems tight.

smurfx

get some go again
You need to learn some Taskmaster combos, because he can chain hypers as long as he wants. You shouldn't need to burn X-Factor to kill Vergil.
easier said than done. its not worth the risk of you not linking the hyper correctly and then get punished for it.

Zissou

easier said than done. its not worth the risk of you not linking the hyper correctly and then get punished for it.

Could always just DHC to get the kill if he doesn't want to risk it- I can't imagine a full bnb DHCed into another character's
hyper would fail to kill vergil, he only has 850k IIRC.

Azure J

Man, if you all could see some of the fraudulence on display from myself playing this long set with Frantic. :lol

GGs man. I'd have kept playing if I didn't actually catch my mind sleeping on things I should capitalize on. I really wanna get my Dante's movement and mixups to your level and that Strider, holy damn.

Besides the screwing around with teams I clearly didn't have any grips with and my D rank Zero, any criticisms you can throw my way once again?

Frantic

Man, if you all could see some of the fraudulence on display from myself playing this long set with Frantic. :lol
Haha, I was pretty fraudulent myself. There was one point where I face-palmed at my own play(namely that fraudulent Strange/Ammy/Dante team). I blame fatigue for my sloppy play(but the true reason is that I'm really a fraud).

I'm also still living up to my namesake of frantic, as I was pushing buttons frantically throughout the set, haha. I only really started to get better once I switched back to the Phoenix team. I love playing her on point backed by Drones and Jam Session. So much fun.

GGs man. I'd have kept playing if I didn't actually catch my mind sleeping on things I should capitalize on. I really wanna get my Dante's movement and mixups to your level and that Strider, holy damn.
GGs, and I was ready to call it quits too. I was starting to just go through the motions without really thinking.

As for my Dante... trust me, it has literally taken me a year to get my Dante where he is. In vanilla, I did not play Dante, I played Hammer. It wasn't until Ultimate that I started improving my Dante, and I still have a ways to go with him.

And I still have a lot to improve with my Strider. I still consider my Strider very fraudulent, since I push buttons like a nut when I play him.

Besides the screwing around with teams I clearly didn't have any grips with and my D rank Zero, any criticisms you can throw my way once again?
I can't really think of anything stand out right now. Your defense is getting better, and your movement and offense is also improving.

I wish Hsien-Ko had better movement. She'd be so much fun, and her super armor assist is godlike for "8-Frame Jab" Dante.

Azure J

The Hsien Ko/Dante/Strider mirror was the most fun Marvel I've played since I got the game. How about finding out the most oppressive buttons to press mid match and getting like 4 stun stars in a row? SolarKnight will vouch for me when I say that star items really love me. :lol

If she was anywhere near as good as her Vampire Saviour incarnation, I would only play Hsien Ko/Dante/Strider and Viper/Dante/Strider.

Edit: Something else that just came to mind, I'm so surprised that it took me until messing around with the team today to use the THC with Strider and Amaterasu. I designed my second Dante team around abusing the THC with Ammy and letting Strider have Cold Shots after Dante goes, but today was the first time that strategy paid off. Maybe I should really look deeper into that team.

Edit 2: Oh yea, forgot about one more moment that made me so hype. Getting that Viper burn kick feint reset in the air was gloooorious.

Azure J

Yet another few things I thought were funny thinkig about the matches:

- Hsien-Ko's forward kara/plink dash is saddening. Seriously, pick her, go into training mode and do it. The craziest part? She has an awesome back plink dash. Like reeeeeeeeeeally awesome.

- Vortex vs. Hard Drive was hilarious as hell in the first match. I had to taunt just to acknowledge the hilarity.

- Ragnarok vs. Ragnarok in that final match was too much for me. I thought the moves were going to cancel each other out at best thanks to the invul. frames, then all of a sudden, mine runs out as your animation looks to slow down only for me to get caught and hit with the full Lvl. 3. :lol

LakeEarth

Well after months of inactivity, it took about 2 hours to get my muscle memory to kick in. Still really off from my peak, but at least I'm not messing up everything like I was when I started. I still keep blowing Doom's midscreen loop, but that'll come in time.

And I was totally right about Taskmaster. DHC wise he works way better with Nemesis compared to Hawkeye (Nemesis -> Task DHC does ~70-85k more damage, Task -> Nemesis DHC works in most situations).

ILL Virtue

Neo Member
Does any1 here want my free digital copy of Avengers Assemble #1 that comes with the blu ray? I'm not into comics and I know some of u r. Lemme know...

Edit: apparently u need a Marvel acct. Or "comixology.com" acct

Well after months of inactivity, it took about 2 hours to get my muscle memory to kick in. Still really off from my peak, but at least I'm not messing up everything like I was when I started. I still keep blowing Doom's midscreen loop, but that'll come in time.

And I was totally right about Taskmaster. DHC wise he works way better with Nemesis compared to Hawkeye (Nemesis -> Task DHC does ~70-85k more damage, Task -> Nemesis DHC works in most situations).
Someone mentioned that you can do Nemesis -> Taskmaster's counter hyper, and he recovers before the ground bound ends for combo extension.

Azure J

The more I look into it, the more I'm really beginning to warm up to the idea of a point Strider team with Jam Session and Rapid Slash as his assists. Something like that could shut out entire team structures if need arises and I'm beginning to really love Strider's high speed reset/vortex style of play. Third team confirmed.

Dahbomb

Point Strider is only going to work with strong TAC characters like Iron Man and Doom behind him. It's much better to go for a 1/3 chance TAC reset into TOD as opposed to 2 resets 50/50 each. I am also certain that both those characters can do raw tag combos off of Strider bounces.

In any case no Vajra means you are purposely avoiding his strongest tool to bring to a team.

Azure J

You guys ever have days where out of the blue, you're trying to do something you could do blindfolded and it's just not happening? I'm over here wondering why I can't rapid seismo in training mode and I realize it's not the first time this exact issue has come up playing her.

@Sig: OK, I'll play you a bit later if you're still up for it.

mr. puppy

Banned
Lol I never realized that Point Haggar has absolutely no answer against Haggar assist. Shoutouts to viper/dante/haggar. Haggar assist is stupid underrated right now.

smurfx

get some go again
Actually he does... he can time his own Lariat or use his invincible super to punish it.

Also... DAS PAIPU
its best to catch haggar jumping in with this pipe. whenever i fight other haggars i just zone him the hell out and use lariat assist when he gets close and punish him.

shaowebb

Odd thought but what assists dash horizontally at a low enough angle to go under projectiles? You can't really use these with Haggar since he super jumps, but for M.O.D.O.K it'd be nice to make a list of possible douchebag off screen low dashing assists that can get in to set him up for his overheads.

Deadpool and X-23 maybe? Anything else?

EDIT: I wish Haggar had a curley mustache alt.

well it has recovery and its why i call lariat as soon as i block the pipe. if you are grounded when he hits you then he is at frame advantage.

ah okay, i've just been pushblocking it when i'm grounded. sounds like chicken blocking might be best to deal with pipe

I love using Joe/Frank/RR, but I hate how it falls apart on me when it eventually comes down to my less than lackluster RR. Meanwhile, I don't like using Joe/Frank/Ryu, but I love how it performs.

I hate being confused!

smurfx

get some go again
ah okay, i've just been pushblocking it when i'm grounded. sounds like chicken blocking might be best to deal with pipe
chicken block the first hit of rapid fire fist as well and punish before he can start rapid punching you. people usually wait before the last hit of the hyper to punish but the haggar players might dhc out of it. if you do it after the first punch it catches a lot of haggar players by surprise.

Dahbomb

I saw that on the SRK thread and just SMH'd at it. Something similar happens with Strange too.

It's not game changing or enough to move IM down a spot or two but it's still a major reason for some of my proposed changes from IM.

FuLLBLeeD

Neo Member
I saw that on the SRK thread and just SMH'd at it. Something similar happens with Strange too.

It's not game changing or enough to move IM down a spot or two but it's still a major reason for some of my proposed changes from IM.

I mean its just another reason to always go for a reset when you know you can't kill with one bar. An air to air or bnb ended with L Smart Bomb into an air throw, and then a simple L Smart Bomb, c.M, s.H S air series, S H Smart Bomb OTG Proton Cannon is enough to kill characters with one million health, and you save some meter in the process.

In training mode today I messed around with Smart Bomb resets. Midscreen you can do L or M SB OTG at the end of a combo and do an ambigious dash under to start a whole new combo which is nice. In the corner you can do the air throw one like I stated or do a jump series (j.M, j.M, j.dH, S) to keep them from teching, but they can pushblock it.

Its really silly though because another way you could do it was to do Angled Proton Cannon and wait for them to hit buttons, and then do Repulsor Blast xx Spread to knock them back down into a combo.

Its pretty silly. I really feel like Iron Man is overall pretty poorly designed in this game.

Its worth nothing Hawkeye can solo punish (and kill you) by doing Gimlet and cancelling into X Factor. I wonder if there other supers that end in air techs that can be punished on hit.

smurfx

get some go again

yesterday i punished some character after being hit with his hyper but i forgot who it was. :( i remember being surprised. maybe i should take notes like fanatiq does.

You guys ever have days where out of the blue, you're trying to do something you could do blindfolded and it's just not happening? I'm over here wondering why I can't rapid seismo in training mode and I realize it's not the first time this exact issue has come up playing her.

@Sig: OK, I'll play you a bit later if you're still up for it.
I have to relearn Morrigan's Soul Fist combos every time I play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdaF0ileajk

This character just can't catch a break. :(
I imagine this is the case with a lot of characters, but most teams can't abuse it.

On the PSN note, I'll likely make Friday a "play Marvel" day. Anyone is welcome to fight against me, but I especially welcome our newer members.

onionfrog

Sure, I might as well get this rust off. PSN is same as my GAF name, but with no space.

Good games beef, great viewtiful joe and awesome timing with nemesis' command grabs. You have no idea how badly I wanted that xf3 tron comeback.

I would've played longer but my girlfriend just got home.

Also I don't normally drop all my combos, i don't know what was wrong with me today.

Good games beef, great viewtiful joe and awesome timing with nemesis' command grabs. You have no idea how badly I wanted that xf3 tron comeback.

I would've played longer but my girlfriend just got home.

Also I don't normally drop all my combos, i don't know what was wrong with me today.

Thanks man. I wanted that Nemesis lvl. 3 so bad. :(

Azure J

Good games Sasa. My brother is the Dante/Hawkeye/Vergil you see playing in the last two matches. I can't begin to wonder how you played so many matches and got Cosmic when even the smallest little missed timing costs me so much. That + no Spiderman experience is a killer.

I was trying so hard to adjust, meeting Spiderman air-to-air and treating him like Zero, but fuck if nothing wanted to convert.

And just as I turn around, I see him almost make a full comeback with Dark Vergil. /SALTIEST

Good games Sasa. My brother is the Dante/Hawkeye/Vergil you see playing in the last two matches. I can't begin to wonder how you played so many matches and got Cosmic when even the smallest little missed timing costs me so much. That + no Spiderman experience is a killer.

I was trying so hard to adjust, meeting Spiderman air-to-air and treating him like Zero, but fuck if nothing wanted to convert.

And just as I turn around, I see him almost make a full comeback with Dark Vergil. /SALTIEST

Yeah it's hard to play certain characters online. Honestly, Spidey and Hawkeye get by okay, but X-23 is lol online, she relies so much on minute spacing. My combos are all cancels or mashy links so they're not nearly as bad as someone like Magneto or Dante.

I have a decent amount of experience against that team too, so that helped. Viper Strider can be pretty difficult when she spews invincibility and spaces properly with seismo, eyes and Strider, along with EX knuckle to blow up my shitty Hawkeye calls or web ball strings, but yeah, hard to do online.

You have any critiques for me?

Hard to say because of the conditions in the set. I did notice that you weren't calling Strider that much, hard to say whether that was due to the connection, or you were unsure how to approach the matchup. In any case, more well-chosen Strider calls to start your own offense can be used.

Another thing is that Viper can cause me a lot of trouble with her toolset that I just have to respect. Once you get more used to my character's options, you'll know what she can and can't beat.

I like to create my own chaos and navigate around it, but I hate when other people start making their own in my face.

I think the best way to beat my team is to press it. You have 2 swiss knifes plus Strider -- I think you can cut em up with the space control your team offers. Once you start squeezing my comfortable real estate and forcing me into pockets, you can Viper's dumb throw game, or her reactionary game that beats much of my options.

Also, unless you have Trish's trap or a true AA assist, I wouldn't completely zone with Dante against Spider-Man. Gotta get more of that two-way game going. There were some areas where you could've transitioned into offense -- try counter calling my Hawkeye with your Strider and then making things happen.

I have no advice for Strider because it's kinda dumb how free I am to him. So yeah. Hope that helps.

Top Bottom