• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Spider-man Season One |OT|: Because Being "Spectacular" is just not enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I think this is the first depiction of Aunt May that isn't a billion years old. The series about her as a teen and Peter being her kid doesn't count.
Damnit slay, shut up about that. No one needs to know about that shit ever again.

Wow they really need to fucking tone down the asides and chibi bits. it would be cool if it was every five minutes, but it's at least once a minute and sometimes even more and consecutively. The writers need to realize that Peter and Spiderman don't act the same. This has Bendis and loeb written all over it.

Correct. If Disney and Marvel continued making episodes of Spectacular, then they would of had to continue to pay Sony, even though Sony would have nothing to do with the show.

Oh ok. Wasn't aware of the Sony licensing. Well I knew of it of the original movie trilogy. but I didn't know they handled the animated series at well.

Parallax

Wow they really need to fucking tone down the asides and chibi bits. it would be cool if it was every five minutes, but it's at least once a minute and sometimes even more and consecutively. The writers need to realize that Peter and Spiderman don't act the same. This has Bendis and loeb written all over it.
The chibi shit has been something I've been worried about for a while but seeing the lunchlady web away was pretty funny. And pete and spidey don't act the same from what I've seen so far, but you hear what's in petes head a lot, so it feels that way. But I hope that the loeb stink never kicks in, even though his touches are already on it (sam, jeph? Come the fuck on.)

Slayven

Damnit slay, shut up about that. No one needs to know about that shit ever again.

Ha Ha I will never forget.

Spiderman isn't Batman. Peter just speaks his mind more with the mask on.

Parallax

I have a feeling danny and luke are gonna be my favorite characters of this show.

don't get this, thanks to dc/marvelgaff recommendation I watched 10 episode generation rex and it sucked really hard.

The first 10 or so episodes of Generator Rex are fucking awful. Everybody forgets to mention that part.

The show gets medium alright to good about 15 episodes in (though remains kind of inconsistent in quality for the rest of the first season). All the subsequent seasons have been pretty good overall.

SykoTech

Pretty much what I expected. It's not spectacular (in more ways than one), but it's not bad either. It's an enjoyable show. Kinda reminds me a bit of Teen Titans. Will keep watching as long as that motorcycle isn't used in every other episode.

Wasn't expecting Aunt May too look so young though.

Nesotenso

premiere was good.

will take getting used to the Scott pilgrim style and the 4th wall but I think they will balance it out with more serious stuff in the future. I think I'll like it.

Avengers:EMH was awesome though.

yencid

tumblr_m1tq20v4Wf1qbqhhuo1_500.gif

Slayven

premiere was good.

will take getting used to the Scott pilgrim style and the 4th wall but I think they will balance it out with more serious stuff in the future. I think I'll like it.

Avengers:EMH was awesome though.
I love that Doom didn't give a fuck.

Ain't gonna lie. I really enjoyed it.

It captured the essence of Spider-Man's snappy and bouncy personality perfectly. And the action scenes were fantastic.

I can see people who take their spandex-wearin' heroes seriously not liking it, though. Which would explain a lot of the negativity I've seen. Ah well, can't please everyone.

Slayven

Ain't gonna lie. I really enjoyed it.

It captured the essence of Spider-Man's snappy and bouncy personality perfectly. And the action scenes were fantastic.

I can see people who take their spandex-wearin' heroes seriously not liking it, though. Which would explain a lot of the negativity I've seen. Ah well, can't please everyone.

That is why Spidey is so awesome, you can do anything with him and it could be great. He can do dark and gritty or light and fun.

I think this is the first cartoon that captures the creepiness of comic Osborn. The Osborn that wants Spidey as his son and heir while trying to kill him is the best Osborn.

CorvoSol

Finally got it to work! Take a break since I just finished watching the end of the X-Men 2011 anime, then I'll get right on it.

Yeah, just watched it. It's definitely very different from Spectacular, and that's okay. First and foremost, I LOVE the style, the series looks great! Chi McBride sounded great as Fury.

I really like the cutaways and "silly" moments, I really hated Teen Titans' in-your-face Anime bits because it's like it was desperately trying to sell you on how "ANIMEZ!" it was. USM's wacky moments are more subdued and doesn't try quite as hard, I feel the wackiness fits Spider-man better than Teen Titans as well.

Did anyone catch the Marvel Mashups? HILARIOUS! The first one after USM (80s Hulk) had me in stitches especially since they got Travis Willingham who voiced Hulk in SHS (who was the best character in the show)

I have to hand it to Marvel and Disney, it seems they actually put some effort into their "block" unlike DC Nation.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That was pretty terrible. It was like Spider-Man for the Family Guy generation. And why does Peter have 90s haircut?

ReiGun

The cutaways would be a lot better if they were more spaced out. There were simply too many too quickly.

In fact, they feel more like an element you'd see in a show about Deadpool rather than Spidey.

Slayven

The cutaways would be a lot better if they were more spaced out. There were simply too many too quickly.

In fact, they feel more like an element you'd see in a show about Deadpool rather than Spidey.
Deadpool has always just been a psychotic Spiderman. Hell whenever they teamup DP always endup being the straightman.

Sadist

Don't know about Bell voicing Spidey (Josh Keaton is best Spidey period) but as for the rest: pretty cool. Chi McBride as Fury felt right and I like the new ramblings of J.K. Simmons as Jameson. He's the best Jonah anyway. The goofy tidbits were a bit to frequent, but it does suit a Spidey show in many ways. I like the Power Man/Iron Fist/Nova/White Tiger team-up.

Btw, I like the fact they're using the Ultimate version of Aunt May.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
This was worse than I was even expecting. Good lord. At least there was the amazing new EMH season premiere to wash away the taste of this garbage.

udivision

The soundtrack is kinda similar to Generator Rex. That's not entirely bad, but it just let's you know you're watching a B-Tier cartoon. This should've been A-Tier.

And was anybody else put off by the posterized backgrounds?

EDIT: Also, to the people saying they're now gonna start watching YJ, why weren't you before...

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Didn't like it. Too much slapstick. This is suppose to be "Ultimate" Spider-man. I cant take anyone seriously in this show :\

Liked Luke Cage, liked Iron Fist, even liked Nova a lot more than I thought I would. White Tiger's pretty annoying, but I'm on board with the team aspect of the show.

But after two episodes, I think I can say that I completely hate the cutaways and stupid chibi shit. It's super distracting from the main plot and never funny. It's clear they're trying to be Teen Titans rather than the Batman TAS we all wanted it to be, but Teen Titans did this way better.

I'll stick with it for a few episodes and see where it goes. Hopefully it'll find a balance now that the introductions are out of the way.

Tizoc

Heh I liked the first eps.
Didn't like the Spiderbike...even though I would've liked to see the Spidermobile XP For that matter, the Osborns hair is unimpressive =/
I don't mind the humor TBH, although it reminds me of Batman: BatB for some reason.
...and is it me or is Wizard voiced by Odlaw's voice actor from the Where's Wally cartoon?
Oh and was I the only one who thought Paste Pot Pete when they saw the goo at the start of the ep.?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Oh and was I the only one who thought Paste Pot Pete when they saw the goo at the start of the ep.?

Same character. He ditched the PPP name later on. Anyway, I liked it, but not as much as Spectacular. Liked the new Spidey voice, like the overal style but wish they'd cut back on the cutaways. They kind of work but they're way too frequent at the moment. I can see people getting pissed at teenage versions of heroes but I'm fine with that. Just accept it's a different universe. So far I liked the Nova we got here more than the 7 pages of Epic Fail Nova Loeb introduced.

It's like a kids version of Batman batb. I like it. My son fucking loved it. He was running around in his Spidey costume and just going insane while watch it.

I hope they keep the voice from
MvC3

Nope it's confirmed to be
Clancy Brown
:/

PPP = Trapster. There was a whole gag on Super Hero Squad with Abomination and MODOK making fun of him for it.

And speaking of SHS, sad to see the comments of this thread mirror the reaction of SHS. "What?!? Where's my SERIOUS cartoon? Silliness in MY Marvel Cartoon? Fuck you Marvel and Disney!"

EDIT: Don't get me wrong though, the cutaways ARE a little too frequent. Hopefully they tone it down, just a tad for future episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom