• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

mbpm1

Only just noted that you replied. Thanks! Will try. It's only EX dash punches that armour break, right?

EX Dash punches don't, the overhead dash punch does, and the one where he says "Smash" does, but the others don't. Keep in mind if you think he'll armor punch with the other versions that you can focus those too (or I guess use spin knuckle or the hooligan if you feel like it for some reason)

EX Dash punches don't, the overhead dash punch does, and the one where he says "Smash" does, but the others don't. Keep in mind if you think he'll armor punch with the other versions that you can focus those too (or I guess use spin knuckle or the hooligan if you feel like it for some reason)

Thanks. In the 6 years I've been playing since vanilla and after over 1000 hours, there are still characters that give me loads of trouble. I need to play smarter.

DunpealD

Not to forget. Turn around punch also breaks armor.

DunpealD

Counter pick the hell outta them.

There is only one universal counter pick. It's Dee Jay ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).
Also counter picks are not really viable in ranked play. I think it's better to polish up your main first before dabbling into other characters.

ShinMaruku

There is only one universal counter pick. It's Dee Jay ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).
Also counter picks are not really viable in ranked play. I think it's better to polish up your main first before dabbling into other characters.

Well since he's been doing it for years I think his main is good. But for some match ups it does not matter how solid you are with your main, better to counter pick. Like when I fight Bipson I go to Cammy or Ibuki. Now granted I'm ass but atleast I have a better change with those two.

Online Decapres are down up + HP the game. Even though it's a 5 frame move that I could save jump, I flinch every time I get hit with it...

Really? The ones I've played have smarten up and are using EX DP or the throw invincible one from the get go. They just start out expecting me to expect them to fierce DP the first time I have them knocked down. Honestly blocking would be the safest option, but nobody blocks in this game.

DunpealD

Well since he's been doing it for years I think his main is good. But for some match ups it does not matter how solid you are with your main, better to counter pick. Like when I fight Bipson I go to Cammy or Ibuki. Now granted I'm ass but atleast I have a better change with those two.

Ah yes I misread that, lol. Thought he had a break or something. I'll agree that counter picking for certain matchups, especially MU like Ryu vs. Dhalsim, certainly is better and even more fun.

Btw. when are you getting USFIV on PS4? We need to get some sets down again.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
thinking of buying the game(PS4 version).

is it playable yet??

Many hardcore fans have called it 99% close to being the definitive version at this point. It's very close and perfectly safe to jump in on.

I snagged it last week and of the ~70 matches online so far, its been extremely stable with no noticeable glitches or bugs.

stn

Many hardcore fans have called it 99% close to being the definitive version at this point. It's very close and perfectly safe to jump in on.
Watch the 3-frame reversal though.

This is my first corny gaming joke ever. Be nice.

Really? The ones I've played have smarten up and are using EX DP or the throw invincible one from the get go. They just start out expecting me to expect them to fierce DP the first time I have them knocked down. Honestly blocking would be the safest option, but nobody blocks in this game.

Why block when you can mash out of everything? LOLOLOLOLOLOL

....fucking stupid ass game.

I'm so clueless when it comes to this game that I'd probably lose to a toddler mashing his face all over the buttons. In fact, I think I just did.

Feels like I've only gotten worse since I've started since now there's all this information in my brain that every game I just freeze up and have no idea what my gameplan should be, leading to wrong inputs, bad decisions and me not even trying to create an offense.

I'm so clueless when it comes to this game that I'd probably lose to a toddler mashing his face all over the buttons. In fact, I think I just did.

Feels like I've only gotten worse since I've started since now there's all this information in my brain that every game I just freeze up and have no idea what my gameplan should be, leading to wrong inputs, bad decisions and me not even trying to create an offense.
It's entirely possible that you are just thinking too hard during your match. I would take each aspect of your game and work in it one at a time until you no longer think too much about it.

Which character are you playing?

Marz

What character do you play?

Edit: oh yea Mango got u

It's entirely possible that you are just thinking too hard during your match. I would take each aspect of your game and work in it one at a time until you no longer think too much about it.

Which character are you playing?

Cammy right now, and yeah I know I'm thinking too hard, I don't know how to fix it. I've been putting time in training mode to improve my execution(it's slow as hell but I'll get there) but when it comes to everything else I think I'm just forced to play a lot until I figure it out, problem is that in most games I get destroyed so hard that watching the replay isn't going to help me. A huge problem is that I don't know what I can punish and there's no other solution than "play more and figure it out" as there's too many characters to read up on everyone, so what happens is that players just apply pressure against me and my options are:

1. Block until they find an opening
or
2. Push a button and get destroyed

Instead of those 2 I've been mashing DP which works but it's not something I want to condition myself to do as it's kind of the dumb option.

redhood56

Banned
I played a couple of games offline on ps4. I am really bad but I ordered the hori fight pad because I just couldn't play with a ds4 anymore and I couldn't smoke enough crack to get money for the te2. I want to learn to be decent because I always wanted to get into street fighter since this is my first one.

Prototype

I picked up USF4 for 10$ on PC like a week ago and have been playing again. It's been over a year since I've played and I'm terrible now lol. But SF5 hype got me back into it.

How many of you guys play on steam?

Cammy right now, and yeah I know I'm thinking too hard, I don't know how to fix it. I've been putting time in training mode to improve my execution(it's slow as hell but I'll get there) but when it comes to everything else I think I'm just forced to play a lot until I figure it out, problem is that in most games I get destroyed so hard that watching the replay isn't going to help me. A huge problem is that I don't know what I can punish and there's no other solution than "play more and figure it out" as there's too many characters to read up on everyone, so what happens is that players just apply pressure against me and my options are:

1. Block until they find an opening
or
2. Push a button and get destroyed

Instead of those 2 I've been mashing DP which works but it's not something I want to condition myself to do as it's kind of the dumb option.
Well your fastest buttons are your light attacks, so you can usually stick one of those out just to try to interrupt your opponents pressure. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with mashing out a dp every now and then as long as you don't get too predictable with it. Everyone does it.

I would absolutely focus on your defense first and foremost though. If you can't defend yourself then you can't play. Combos and other stuff will eventually come, but you have to be able to block and occasionally anti air if you want to survive. And you don't have to just anti air with her dp, she has other options.

Edit: oh and if anyone wants to play on ps4, I'll be down in like 45 min or so. I have a new controller I want to test out.

Mike M

Nick N
Finally got a PS4 and downloaded this to play for the first time in ages. I was never very good, but I got kicked from an endless lobby with one other guy with only 300 BP.

Feels bad, man : (

Hopefully I can do better when my stick gets in.

Might as well post here as well, are there anyone in here that has managed to play with TWO PS3 fightsticks on USF4 for PS4? Have followed the guide on eventhubs and it just doesn't work, can only get one stick to work no matter what.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/street_fighter/go/thread/view/7411/30557895/2-ps3-sticks-on-ps4

I was at my friends place to play casuals, they had 3 PS4's.. everyone used stick.

lots of time was wasted.

Game feels a bit slower too offline, or it might just depend on which stick I'm using. I tried the TE2 and that felt natural, then I tried an Eight Arc and it felt terribly slow/input lag.

360 version forever b

Does online play work fine on the Steam version? Thinking of picking it up since I don't have a PS3 anymore. Scared the online community is dead or if the netcode is bad though.

Just picked up USFIV on PS4 and am attempting again to get into the game. I'm still learning and not very good yet, so I've got a couple questions.

I'm fond of using Zangief and sometimes have trouble getting in on zoning characters. So far I've been trying to use a mix of a few things to get in on a character zoning me with fireballs: Banishing flat seems to be great for getting past a fireball and closing a lot of distance (the ex version works great, but I have trouble timing the regular consistently). Lariet can be good to avoid fireballs, but I feel they are sometimes too slow and leave me open to other attacks or I'm just timing them poorly. Jumping gets over fireballs as well, but I'm trying to get better about not doing it and getting to close too get anti-aired as I'm coming in. And I've found a focus dash cancel can be good, but I need to sit and work on my timing for that a lot more because I'm getting hit half the time when I attempt it online. I get in on really bad players fairly easily, but definitely notice when I play somebody good that I can have a lot of trouble even touching them.

What have other Zangief players found the most effective for closing the gap on zoning characters?

What should I be doing as Zangief to keep pressure on somebody who is stuck in the corner? Should I be using a specific poke? Standing at specific distance?

When I knock down a character, what should I be doing as they wake up? Jumping down+fierce to cross-up is something I've tried, but I'm not sure if there is a better option. Or should I be staying on the ground doing something else? I don't want to waste an opportunity to apply pressure after I knock an opponent down, but sometimes I find that I'll eat a wake-up DP when I try to hit them as they get up.

Does online play work fine on the Steam version? Thinking of picking it up since I don't have a PS3 anymore. Scared the online community is dead or if the netcode is bad though.
Steam port in its current state is what you'd expect after having played SFIV elsewhere. Anecdotal as it may be, I haven't had the netcode act any worse - or better, for that matter - than when I stuck to the 360 version years ago. Community seems active enough based on 2,5 weeks of playtime, though comparatively speaking the old console versions would likely still thrive best.

Steam port in its current state is what you'd expect after having played SFIV elsewhere. Anecdotal as it may be, I haven't had the netcode act any worse - or better, for that matter - than when I stuck to the 360 version years ago. Community seems active enough based on 2,5 weeks of playtime, though comparatively speaking the old console versions would likely still thrive best.

Thanks for the response. I bought the game after my post. Couldn't take it.

I've had a pretty good experience so far and the game just feels better to me compared to the PS3 version.

I haven't played in a really long time and I was never amazing to begin with so I need practice. Anyone else on here just starting out or just "ok" at the game that wants to practice together?

KingBroly

Banned
Thanks for the response. I bought the game after my post. Couldn't take it.

I've had a pretty good experience so far and the game just feels better to me compared to the PS3 version.

I haven't played in a really long time and I was never amazing to begin with so I need practice. Anyone else on here just starting out or just "ok" at the game that wants to practice together?

The PC version has less input lag than any other version. You also get more graphical options.

Ryan_MSF

Last time i played street fighter was back during SF2 days with my old man on the snes, watched Evo this year and suddenly felt the urge to play again, just picked up USF4 yesterday on the PS4, im total shit but i'm along for the ride!

What does my Ibooty need:

I dunno if you actually wanted feedback or not. I am not a powerhouse Ibuki player by any means, but don't want you to get buried at the bottom of the page.

Starting points for Ibuki:

MK xx Tsumuji or MK xx Neckbreaker
MK is a good poke from a character length or more away so that you have other options to get in that aren't jumping at them. Tsumuji (the QCB kicks) are relatively safe if blocked, so I would start with that one. Blocked Neckbreaker will get you punished.

cr.HK
Fast sweep to knock them down. Good range.

df.MK (the slide)
Another effective way to get close without jumping. If you do it too close, you'll get punished and people will focus attack it if they see it coming, so don't overuse it.

b.MP
Your best anti-air normal. Get used to staying on the ground and swatting people with it.

Start with those and you can add some more complex pieces later.

I do a lot of cr.LP myself when in their grill. Once you get used to MK xx Tsumuji, learn to link into it from cr.LP and you'll be able to cash in some damage on those jabs you're getting in.

ShinMaruku

I dunno if you actually wanted feedback or not. I am not a powerhouse Ibuki player by any means, but don't want you to get buried at the bottom of the page.

Starting points for Ibuki:

MK xx Tsumuji or MK xx Neckbreaker
MK is a good poke from a character length or more away so that you have other options to get in that aren't jumping at them. Tsumuji (the QCB kicks) are relatively safe if blocked, so I would start with that one. Blocked Neckbreaker will get you punished.

cr.HK
Fast sweep to knock them down. Good range.

df.MK (the slide)
Another effective way to get close without jumping. If you do it too close, you'll get punished and people will focus attack it if they see it coming, so don't overuse it.

b.MP
Your best anti-air normal. Get used to staying on the ground and swatting people with it.

Start with those and you can add some more complex pieces later.

I do a lot of cr.LP myself when in their grill. Once you get used to MK xx Tsumuji, learn to link into it from cr.LP and you'll be able to cash in some damage on those jabs you're getting in.

Thanks for those pointers.

Top Bottom