• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Just bring back player matches..

Ranked is important, for new players to start against new players and get better themselves/play gradually better players over time.

SFIV series cocked this up badly, because people are generally shitty people online and will not play fair unless forced to, make a new account and go play some ranked matches, you'll play against people with 500-700PP which you get from like 10-15 wins, but they're using characters with 4000-5000BP. Complete abuse of the ranking system.

I've tried getting so many friends into SFIV series over the years but they all gave up because they're not much better than flowchart Kens and they cannot find enough matches with people their own skill level to gradually get better. Getting bodied completely doesn't teach shit, losing to someone a bit better than you allows you to slowly adapt, but they cannot do this reliably.

I want championship mode back. I liked the idea of the tournament that's not really a tournament, but is kind of like a tournament. Instead of waiting in a tournament room for who knows how long to fill up the slots you can just enter championship mode and play anybody who's back at square one or has the same win streak as you. So less wait time, and still gives you the tournament feel as you can only move on by winning.

I want championship mode back. I liked the idea the tournament that's not really a tournament, but is kind of like a tournament. Instead of waiting in a tournament room for who knows how long to fill up the slots you can just enter championship mode and play anybody who's back at square one or has the same win streak as you. So less wait time, and still gives you the tournament feel as you can only move on by winning.

Better than team battle. What a waste of time that mode is.

LowParry

Recently picked this back up in a pre-prep for SFV. Moving away from charge characters to shoto is an odd one. The struggle is real.

People look at PP wrong, imo. Or maybe I am in the minority. I dont play for points, they are just a representation (maybe not the greatest) of how i am doing and keeping track of my wins and losses. I loves ranked personally, people playing "for real" cause something is on the line, see lots styles.

I do miss championship mode though, and i wish it was 2/3 games with with loser getting 1 rematch, hehe.

ohohdave

Anyone sees it too?

e0LAIEL.jpg

Vaporak

Hey GAF i've recently been interested in starting to play some fighting games as I like competitive games and it's basically the only competitive genre I haven't put time into. Coincidentally Ultra Street Fighter 4 is currently free this weekend on steam and on sale, so I figured it's a good chance to try it out. What's the recommended introduction to the game for someone completely new?

Spuck-uk

Banned
Hey GAF i've recently been interested in starting to play some fighting games as I like competitive games and it's basically the only competitive genre I haven't put time into. Coincidentally Ultra Street Fighter 4 is currently free this weekend on steam and on sale, so I figured it's a good chance to try it out. What's the recommended introduction to the game for someone completely new?

Be prepared to lose a LOT!

Someone will be along in a moment to point you toward Juicebox footsies guide, which is one of the best resources available for new players.

Pick a character you like and have a play around with them in training and trials mode.

My wake up game with Vega(claw) is horrific. Any tips?
Don't get knocked down.

Sorry I know it's not that simple, but Vega has barely any wakeup options. You either use one of the backflips, you backdash, or you block.

You should probably block.

I never really know how to help someone new unless I'm there with them and giving them advice, but a good place to ask is the FGW thread(s). This thread is very very slow nowadays, so you'll probably get faster responses in there.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1078877

alstein

Steam seems to drop quite often when I play SFIV.

That said, things I'd want rankingwise:

player matches don't show BP/PP.
I think leagues might be the best way to handle things: maybe 5 leagues.

You never rank down, only rank up (this would make it less frustrating)

drops give win to opponent, that's it. Excessive drops put you in a griefer queue.

I just realized something- SFV, autofire sticks with the input buffer would be able to hit links reliably again.

Vega has terrible wakeup options, it's just the character.

Don't get knocked down.

Sorry I know it's not that simple, but Vega has barely any wakeup options. You either use one of the backflips, you backdash, or you block.

You should probably block.

Sigh, I thought this might be the answer. Oh well, I'm sticking with him. His HK is pretty nasty against balrog at times, especially during dash punch.

Jenenser

OI! free sf4 ultra weekend on steam. normaly i only play it with a buddy at his home. any eu gaffers up for some games tomorrow? :>

Edit: ahhh, already took several beatings. nr 21 rolento and nr 52 evil ryu. felt great xD

JustinBB7

I'm a complete fighting game noob (besides loving them as a kid back in the arcade days) and I'm playing this for the free weekend with a 360 controller. I beat the arcade mode a few times, but mostly with luck. Took me 3 hours to beat with Ryu but 20 minutes with Zangief lol.

Anyway I'm just asking for help here because I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I wanna do all the cool combo/ultra moves but they barely work for me. Trying out Decapre now in training mode and her ultra is left-right-left-right instantly? and 3 punches. But nothing happens and my ultra bar is full.

Another move of hers is down-up and kick but nothing special happens for me there either. I already switched from stick to the d-pad because that was easier with some Ryu moves but this doesn't seem to work. What am I doing wrong?

DunpealD

I'm a complete fighting game noob (besides loving them as a kid back in the arcade days) and I'm playing this for the free weekend with a 360 controller. I beat the arcade mode a few times, but mostly with luck. Took me 3 hours to beat with Ryu but 20 minutes with Zangief lol.

Anyway I'm just asking for help here because I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I wanna do all the cool combo/ultra moves but they barely work for me. Trying out Decapre now in training mode and her ultra is left-right-left-right instantly? and 3 punches. But nothing happens and my ultra bar is full.

Another move of hers is down-up and kick but nothing special happens for me there either. I already switched from stick to the d-pad because that was easier with some Ryu moves but this doesn't seem to work. What am I doing wrong?

Decapre is a charge character. Which means you have to initially hold first direction for a little bit before inputting the rest and this also applies to her Super and Ultra.

stn

Don't use Decpare as a beginner character, it will take you a longgggg time to reap the rewards. Ryu, Guile, Gouken, Dee-Jay, Poison, and Balrog are much better characters to start out with.

Don't use Decpare as a beginner character, it will take you a longgggg time to reap the rewards. Ryu, Guile, Gouken, Dee-Jay, Poison, and Balrog are much better characters to start out with.
Not these characters lol. I agree with the poster who recommended not choosing charge characters if you are new to the game. Ryu and Ken sound like good first picks. Once you get the fundamentals down for them you could try moving to charge characters like Guile, Bison, or Balrog.
Yeah don't do that unless you hate the rest of the cast. For me I picked Juri and boy did I reap it. :(
Juri isn't bad, she's probably around the same tier as Ryu.

AtticuSMT

Banned
Quick question, been playing USF4 on my 360 since the game basically came out.

i saw there was a PS4 version but then saw how it was riddeled with bugs and problems and havent looked into it since the release, Has it been fixed at all? since the SF5 beta is starting up i kind of want to migrate to my PS4 and start playing more on that.

TL;DR

PS4 USF4 fixed? or still broken?

Quick question, been playing USF4 on my 360 since the game basically came out.

i saw there was a PS4 version but then saw how it was riddeled with bugs and problems and havent looked into it since the release, Has it been fixed at all? since the SF5 beta is starting up i kind of want to migrate to my PS4 and start playing more on that.

TL;DR

PS4 USF4 fixed? or still broken?

Yeah it's been fixed, I think their are still some minor issues. But I think it's good enough for competitive play now. Capcom just announced yesterday that all CPT event will shift over to PS4 except for Asia because USF4 hasn't been released over there yet.

Not all feel that way though including some GAF'ers. But I think most people think it's a great port now and from what I've seen, most people feel that way as well.

stn

Not these characters lol.
You don't think Dee-Jay and Gouken are easy to use? Dee-Jay requires standard zoning, confirming into cr.mk for knock down, and confirming into dread kick. Easy to AA with since his jackknife is a charge move. He's easy to use but hard to win with.

As for my Gouken recommendation? I mean, I'm not that great at SF4. I was still able to take a 5-hour (literally) Gouken into endless and steal rounds from some well-known online players. Obviously it helps if you've played SF for years since Gouken requires spacing, but everything clicked very quickly for me.

I stand by my recommendations. They're easy characters to use and get something out of, they're just hard to win with because they're lower on the tier list. Dee-Jay is just mediocre at everything, Gouken is a decent zoner with a glorified oki game.

I just realized something- SFV, autofire sticks with the input buffer would be able to hit links reliably again.

Turbo fire style stuff messes up other inputs. Like a lk on turbo fire would screw the lk/lp throw, or anything that require lk+something else.

You can technically do it, but it makes your button presses have to be super in sync, frankly, linking inputs normally is easier.

What can a Cammy user like myself do to punish Balrog's sweeps on block? I feel like I'm wasting health just blocking them constantly and taking the chip. And I feel like stopping them with a Cr.HP or St.MP is too risky because of the timing (though possible).

Oh god, people with voice chat enabled always make me feel so guilty when playing Decapre. One dude was on the verge of tears as I was the fifth Decapre he had played in the past hour and I'm pretty sure he starting weeping when I hit him with the U1 Psycho Stream->Ground Scramble behind shenanigan.

mbpm1

Oh god, people with voice chat enabled always make me feel so guilty when playing Decapre. One dude was on the verge of tears as I was the fifth Decapre he had played in the past hour and I'm pretty sure he starting weeping when I hit him with the U1 Psycho Stream->Ground Scramble behind shenanigan.

Drink in their tears, man. =D

Laws00

I haven't played on Xbox 360 in awhile but i've only run into like 2 juris on PS4.

I thought there would be more playing. Let's see how this turns out.....

Currently i'm like the number 27 best Juri on PS4 something on my Japanese account lolo

They really want this to be the tourney standard? Whens the next update?

I should be LOSING A LOT not winning

Onemic

I haven't played on Xbox 360 in awhile but i've only run into like 2 juris on PS4.

I thought there would be more playing. Let's see how this turns out.....

Currently i'm like the number 27 best Juri on PS4 something on my Japanese account lolo

They really want this to be the tourney standard? Whens the next update?

I should be LOSING A LOT not winning

Tourny standard has nothing to do with ranked play lol

Top Bottom