• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNC Student Athlete writes daft 10-sentence final paper, gets an A- (Paper Inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice hyperbole but it isn't hasn't been like this for a couple hundred years. Only in the United States is sports so intrinsically tied to the "college experience" and sports didn't become such a priority focus until the mid-20th century. Higher education in Europe and Asia still focus on academics with sport as an extracurricular supplement. Of course, Europe and Asia still go out of their way to try to give interested students easy access to higher education, unlike here where students are expected to shoulder high five digit debts.

If you think that I'm the only one who shares the belief that the reliance on sports is detrimental to the end goal of education, you need to start researching the topic.
Sports are clearly popular. But I don't think they are make or break for any college. I doubt sports even affect the overall student population at a given school most of the time. As I posted before, athletics make up a tiny percentage of the university's budget even at the largest sports associated school.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Sports are clearly popular. But I don't think they are make or break for any college. I doubt sports even affect the overall student population at a given school most of the time. As I posted before, athletics make up a tiny percentage of the university's budget even at the largest sports associated school.

FGCU Enrollment increased substantially after they made it to the Sweet 16, however I attribute that more to free advertising.

Chumly

What good is the "free" education if this is what they are provided. I mean UNC didn't even attempt to teach them anything. How much is that "scholarship" worth again while the college and NCAA exploits them for money?

FGCU Enrollment increased substantially after they made it to the Sweet 16, however I attribute that more to free advertising.
Generally you see applications spike, but not necessarily enrollments. But none of the increased popularity really affects the day to day operations of the history department or engineering college for instance.

DominoKid

For the power conference schools, sports are by far the biggest brand ambassador they have. Good sports programs help put asses in classroom seats as much as the academic programs.

I went to a D2 school and just winning 3 D2 football championships increased interest in our school in a big way and they started throwing up new buildings and expansions left and right. It also allowed us to get a better (on paper) student body because we could afford to be way more selective with the additional applications. Now they cant even build dorms fast enough keep up with enrollment.

xbhaskarx

Sad when respected academic institutions like UNC will damage their reputations over a football or basketball program... It's time to separate academia and sports.

For the power conference schools, sports are by far the biggest brand ambassador they have. Good sports programs help put asses in classroom seats as much as the academic programs.
Applications sure. But I'm talking more about budget. Even if a large school has an 80 million dollar athletic budget, their overall institutional budget is likely well over a billion dollars.

Universities set enrollment goals well in advance. At most you will see slightly better selectivity, but a school isn't going to suddenly increase enrollment 2k more for a particular year. Too many implications and consequences with moving that fast.

knicks

I love how people here are acting like college is the beginning of the education chain.

Forget about being unacceptable for college level, this right here isn't acceptable for an 8th grader. This is flat out absurd.

I had pretty good literacy skills prior to college. You can put the blame of this outcome on the students prior education, as well as his shitty parents.

Why do they give them A's? It's so astonishingly nonsensical that a paper of that quality would merit a high grade; at least with a B you could pretend it was a marked improvement over previous efforts.

Athletes should get deferred-education scholarships. Qualify for at least a free year of school for every year they play, and they can redeem those years at any time, maybe even transfer them to a family member. They can attend regular classes concurrently if they want; I'd like to see at least one elective from the normal curriculum. They should major in their sport of choice, with all sorts of classes devoted to it. Physical training, coaching techniques, plays and strategy, etc., along with the typical sports management, sports adminstration, etc. There are all sorts of careers available to athletes besides playing, why continue the farce that some student-athletes get educated at all? It does a disservice to everyone involved in the conspiracy.

I love how people here are acting like college is the beginning of the education chain.

Forget about being unacceptable for college level, this right here isn't acceptable for an 8th grader. This is flat out absurd.

I had pretty good literacy skills prior to college. You can put the blame of this outcome on the students prior education, as well as his shitty parents.

Exactly. How did they even graduate high school? With sports as well?

fuzzyset

There is no chance of this happening at the schools you mentioned as they are academic focused even with student athletes.

My sister in law tutored football players at Penn. She said they had no idea how to plot x,y on the Cartesian plane. So, it basically happens everywhere.

And UNC is a fantastic school anyhow.

rrs

Exactly. How did they even graduate high school? With sports as well?

I was in a history class in high school with a coach teaching it. Cheating on tests were easy and the class went at a snail's pace at times. I didn't see anything as bad in the topic post in high school but jokes were made about athletes getting it easy.

numble

Why do they give them A's? It's so astonishingly nonsensical that a paper of that quality would merit a high grade; at least with a B you could pretend it was a marked improvement over previous efforts.
So they can get a D in a normal/required class and still have a C average.

xbhaskarx

Are schools punished when this sort of thing is found out?

UNC can't be punished in any meaningfully harsh way, their basketball team is too important for the NCAA.

This is the best article on the UNC scandal, from August 2012:
North Carolina cheated and prospered, now it's time for reckoning

Maybe the ugliest academic scandal in NCAA history.

This one is worse than what happened in 2007 at Florida State. I mean, it's not even close. Florida State had some numbers that looked bad -- 61 athletes from 10 different teams -- but this UNC scandal dwarfs it.

FSU had 61 tainted players, almost all from the same class.

North Carolina has at least 54 tainted classes.

How many athletes were given free grades from the Department of African and Afro-American Studies? We don't know. UNC never wanted to find out, but the school has no choice now. The school mustered a halfhearted search for the truth earlier this year when it found those 54 tainted classes, but its search went back only to 2007. Despite efforts from the Raleigh News & Observer that suggested otherwise, the school held firm that the academic fraud started in 2007.

Enter the N.C. State fan and the found transcript. It belonged to former UNC two-sport star Julius Peppers.

It was from 2001.

See what we have here? We have evidence not only of grades being given to athletes for at least a decade -- but also that UNC academic support staff steered athletes to those classes. This can't be dismissed as the rogue actions of a man named Julius Nyang'oro, the embattled former head of the Department of African and Afro-American Studies. If it was just him, well, that could be explained away to a certain extent. The school would be vulnerable to NCAA sanctions, but one man running amok? That's not horrible.

So what actually happened at North Carolina?

This is horrible.

Academic advisers steering athletes to Nyang'oro's department. Athletes staying eligible by getting grades in some classes that didn't even exist. Athletes who played football and men's basketball.

Did the coaches know? Well, ask yourself this: Are we to believe that academic advisers were steering famous athletes to bogus classes behind the backs of the millionaire coaches who recruited, coached and needed those athletes to remain eligible?

Answers are coming, but already we know this: The scandal spanned the decade from 2001-11. Know what happened that decade? The UNC men's basketball team played in three Final Fours. It won national titles in 2005 and '09.

Did any players on those NCAA championship teams attend bogus classes? According to the News & Observer, almost 67 percent of the students in those 54 classes were athletes. Most played football, but the newspaper reported that UNC records showed "basketball players had also enrolled. In two of the classes, the sole enrollee was a basketball player."

See, this is so much worse than what happened at Florida State -- and Florida State vacated two seasons of saintly Bobby Bowden's victories, suffered scholarship restrictions and received four years of probation.

What happens to North Carolina? Well, that depends. First, the NCAA has to show it cares. Incredibly, to date, the NCAA has not. Trained NCAA investigators missed the very stuff that is seeping out now, including that transcript discovered by a single N.C. State fan. Remember, the NCAA already has investigated UNC for violations that included -- but were not limited to -- academic fraud. The NCAA poked around, found some stuff, but didn't find this.

The NCAA didn't find 54 bogus classes from 2007-11, or the unknown number of classes dating to 2001, filled mostly by UNC athletes. The NCAA hasn't uttered a peep in recent days about these new allegations, either. Neither has the school. Not Roy Williams. Not anybody.

UNC academic scandal: NCAA reportedly finds no rules broken

“…Based on the joint review, UNC and the NCAA staff concluded there were no violations of current NCAA rules or student-athlete eligibility issues related to courses in African and Afro-American Studies. As a result, the NCAA did not add any allegations or include this issue during the University’s appearance in October 2011 before the Committee on Infractions.

College of Arts and Sciences Dean Karen Gil subsequently commissioned a review of courses in African and Afro-American Studies. In May, the University publicly issued that report and provided it to the NCAA.

On Aug. 23, 2012, University Counsel Leslie Strohm and Senior Associate Dean Jonathan Hartlyn provided an update to the enforcement staff. The NCAA staff reaffirmed to University officials that no NCAA rules appeared to have been broken…”

UNC Academic Fraud Scandal Sparks Racial Recriminations

The University of North Carolina academic fraud scandal has entered its Tom Wolfe phase, revealing a racial subtext of the uniquely ironic and bitter American variety.

To review: The prestigious Chapel Hill campus of UNC has become the battlefield of the moment in the continuing unrest within NCAA Inc.—the multibillion-dollar business that is college sports. Carolina officials have admitted that beginning in the mid-1990s, the school’s African, African American and Diaspora Studies Department hosted hundreds of phony classes to generate fake grades that kept Tar Heel basketball and football players eligible to play. After years of trying to minimize the sports-eligibility motivation behind the corruption of the black studies program, UNC in recent weeks has yielded to heightening outside pressure and conceded that it had failed to acknowledge the depth of this fiasco.

Despite this public retreat, the university’s administration has persisted in demonizing a campus tutor named Mary Willingham, who played a critical role in disclosing the scandal. UNC has also insinuated that media coverage of its troubles has been unfair. Now Black professors and staff members at University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill are acting as a group to defend UNC and lash out at critics.

In a statement dated Feb. 1, the Carolina Black Caucus, a campus group, declared: “We stand united for black Americans, both enslaved and free, who built this university and who were also barred from its doors.” The caucus added that it stands united for “black athletes who face stereotype, threat, and are targets of ridicule”; “the Department of African, African American and Diaspora Studies, which has been unfairly attacked, overly investigated, and whose legitimacy has been repeatedly questioned”; [and] “courageous administrators, faculty, staff, and students who press on despite impatience, media inaccuracies, gossip, and public attacks on our institution.”

Whoa. The Carolina Black Caucus has this situation precisely upside-down. That UNC’s black studies department was cynically exploited is now beyond dispute. The corruption cannot be wished away. No right-thinking person has questioned the legitimacy of researching and teaching the history of Africans or African Americans. Since the former black studies department chairman was forced to retire in 2012 (late last year he was also criminally indicted for fraud), the program has begun a rebuilding process. But that doesn’t erase that for many years, black athletes and other students were encouraged to take pretend classes that did nothing for their intellectual development or career prospects.

The sordid affair hasn’t been “overly investigated.” To the contrary, UNC has resisted getting to the bottom of it—especially the degree of culpability of the Tar Heels Athletic Department. Appointed last summer, Chancellor Carol Folt belatedly has admitted that UNC still hasn’t gotten its arms around a scandal that forced her predecessor to step down in humiliation. This is not a made-up controversy based on “media inaccuracies” or “gossip.”

Thankfully, Phillip Jackson, executive director of a Chicago education reform group called the Black Star Project, has stepped up to set matters straight. In a Feb. 3 letter thst he has sent to dozens of newspapers in North Carolina, Jackson wrote: “As a black man in America, I find it appalling that the University of North Carolina’s Black Caucus would choose to issue a declaration of support to defend UNC even after the university admitted that it cheated young black men out of the best education possible on its campus.” Jackson, a former corporate executive and public servant who has served Chicago in roles such as chief of education and assistant city budget director, added: “Maybe these esteemed faculty and staff of the UNC Black Caucus don’t realize that their university students are not just competing among themselves in the big cities and small towns of North Carolina. Maybe they don’t understand that being globally competent is a way ‘bigger game’ than football or basketball!”

UNC Suspends Research by Academic Fraud Whistle-Blower

The most outrageous scandal infecting the business of big-time college sports just took a turn for the much worse. The University of North Carolina, famed for its outstanding academics and championship-winning basketball team, announced late Thursday that it had suspended research on athlete literacy by Mary Willingham.

A campus tutor employed by the university, Willingham has done more than anyone else to shed light on classroom corruption at Chapel Hill related to keeping sports stars eligible to play. The shadow cast on her research speaks volumes about the university’s unwillingness to come to terms with the undermining of academic standards in the service of athletics.

https://www.google.com/#q=UNC+african+american+studies+scandal+julius+peppers

GorillaJu

Lots of vain tears in this thread. You guys who think your degrees are suddenly less valuable sound a lot like the couple in Podunk complaining how gay weddings being legal ruins their own marriage.

You live a different life from these athletes. A degree in humanities for an academic from Stanford is useful for your life and that hasn't changed. The problem here is that these young men (and women?) are being denied good educations and being fed passing grades in order to become better athletes.

xnbz6NJ.jpg

F#A#Oo

Banned
The only real losers are those who don't educate themselves.

Having these scholarships based on academic performance is dumb.

Give scholarships out but don't tie it to academic results rather see that they get a rounded education.

Eh pretty sure college sports at least doesn't endorse slave labor essentially. I wonder how many will die building for the joke of the Qatar world cup.
K maybe not THAT bad.

College athletes shouldn't be paid and instead be counting their lucky stars that they get a free degree from a top school even if they're dumb as a brick like dude in the OP, all while being given a national platform to show themselves to NBA scouts where they can then go on and make their millions. If they aren't good enough for the NBA then they have that degree to go fool some company into thinking they earned it. Way more than fair for these athletes.

xbhaskarx

College athletes shouldn't be paid and instead be counting their lucky stars that they get a free degree from a top school even if they're dumb as a brick like dude in the OP

If they aren't good enough for the NBA then they have that degree to go fool some company into thinking they earned it. Way more than fair for these athletes.

Which companies are dumb enough to hire borderline illiterate athletes just because they have some college degree that's based on coasting through via sham courses and easy grades because all that matters is maintaining NCAA eligibility?

See, shit like this actually makes me feel bad for the athletes.

They aren't getting a quality college education. Hell, they aren't being given any sort of valuable life skills so they can make something of themselves when these universities are done milking them for their athleticism.

They're being treated no better than a bunch of prized pigs would be.Just get 'em nice and fat...

Came in to post this.

The only ones who lose on this whole thing are the athletes themselves. They're being cheated out of any sort of decent education, and if they don't make it big in professional sports they're shit out of luck for the rest of their lives.

It's frightening that this proliferates through grade school. This kind of shit happens since the beginning of high school (in some cases even before then), and translates directly to college without anyone batting an eye.

Which companies are dumb enough to hire borderline illiterate athletes just because they have some college degree that's based on coasting through via sham courses and easy grades because all that matters is maintaining NCAA eligibility?
I don't know. Not many companies ask to see your transcripts. I'm sure they could fool quite a few.

I wonder if any of these athletes are in STEM. I see 99% of them study humanities.

benjipwns

Banned
This is ripped straight out of the King of the Hill episode where Hank must keep Peggy from failing the star athlete and Hank is forced to give an A to a terrible propane essay.
Strickland propene does not have a vending machine. It smells and I thank god every day I get home that I didn't get asploded. The end.

Years from now, no one will remember what a hexagon is. But you win State, and that goes up on the water tower.

kirblar

The best time for giving these guys an education is AFTER they end their playing careers. Let them dedicate themselves and give them time to transition to a normal career.

benjipwns

Banned
David Kalaiki-Alii - "The flying hawaiian" did nothing wrong.
I've been thinking about this "No pass, no play" stuff, and I've decided that if I don't pass, then I should no play.

I probably should have something to fall back on. I mean, the odds of me not making pro are what, 50-50?

The best time for giving these guys an education is AFTER they end their playing careers. Let them dedicate themselves and give them time to transition to a normal career.
Then you'd have to sever the collegiate sports system, which will never happen.

Too many people are profiting from it.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Really? They have an advantage because they've been passed along the dysfunctional system due to their athletic skill and not given a basic education? This very article dispels this myth that they're given any advantage because they're not being taught anything. They're not being prepared for anything beyond being exploited in the moment for the school's sports program. They're being pushed along and when they aren't in the less than 1% who go pro they end up dropping out or with a worthless degree and a worthless education, unable to formulate proper sentences.

Still waiting to see the "advantage" to this system.

The only rational alternatives are the following:

1. Athletes are forced to get good grades on their own
2. Athletes who are not getting good grades in previous schooling are not given the opportunity to become college athletes because their grades stink.

Now lets look at the first -- Athletes who have been at a disadvantage in elementary/high school are unable to complete any coursework in college, because, guess what, they can't read at anything higher than a second or third grade level. So, what happens?

they are given special considerations. Extra tutoring or "help with grades" from teachers/deans. Extra tutoring might be the best option here, but where does that leave time for the thing they are actually at that college for? They are given no time to practice because they are at the library studying elementary/high school-level coursework.

the question then begs why are they able to be given special considerations AT ALL? Just because they are athletes? What about all of the other people who are at the college that need the same remedial coursework? Will the school all of a sudden finance tutors for all of them as well? There are limited amount classes for remedial courses.

There is also question of whether or not any of this will actually help them, because if they couldn't get this stuff in elementary/high school, how is that supposed to make it easier for them in college?

ok, so maybe that sounds really expensive and unfair, right? Cause the current system is unfair, we want to treat athletes with less special rights, like personal tutoring, right?

So, the only other option is to not allow these types of students into the athletic programs at all. The school is not able to make a team of athletes that as a result and lags behind in their development because they are excising large amounts of the sports-playing population because they are not getting a minimum grade.

Then what happens to these people who were once allowed to play sports and given a pass? They don't go to any semblance of higher education, even if it is a farce, they don't get any exposure to higher education, and any opportunity for these people that actually WANT to try and improve themselves with education since they are actually enrolled in these classes regardless, can't, because they don't meet the grade standards from high school.

I think I like allowing the possibility of mobility for underprivileged/undereducated students by way of athletic programs.

I agree that education needs reforms from the ground up but how can you sit there and honestly argue that college education is less meaningful than K-12? College is when you're supposed to pick a specialization and focus on it. Higher education is designed to challenge you beyond the foundations provided by K-12 education. No matter how much you improve K-12, it's still just a foundation education.

its less meaningful because K-12 is the foundation. The Foundation of education is much more important than any specialization you may focus on later in life. If the foundation is not there, then how can the specialization be built on top of it?

Yes, there needs to be more choices including vocational options for K-12 students, but that topic has little bearing on the fact that colleges in the United States are exploiting athletes knowing they are leaving those athletes wholly unprepared for any future when they don't make it as a pro.

exploiting? sure, i guess you can call it that. What happens to these potential athletes otherwise if they are not given the opportunity to even be in the sports program at all?

And if you are saying that the colleges have the obligation of teaching them 15 years of education in less than 4 years (or however long they end up being in the athletic program), then i don't know what to say other than think that is a ridiculous notion.

Colleges are failures because of declining job markets and macroeconomic factors beyond the scope of the college (and student)? Pushing through "students" with a third grade reading level is less of an issue because they're athletes? I need to find my hip waders because the bullshit is getting deep.

How many colleges are out there for the express purpose of making money? For-profit education is a plague on the education system. There are also many colleges that do not prepare anyone they "push through" let alone the athletes. There are other non-athlete students in those same colleges that get past with not much better in reading levels. It isn't a specific failure of the college system that they receive the students like that. The failure comes with colleges trying to pad their statistics so they can get the next class of fodder in and out due to profiteering.

Hooray for strawman arguments. Nowhere did I say college existed for the sole purpose of remedial studies. Meanwhile, you still have yet to answer why allowing this practice is good beyond making money for the school and the NCAA. It certainly isn't doing the student-athletes any good.

I mentioned my hypothesis above. You may or may not think its bullshit.

I don't think the NCAA is that great of an organization anyway. The schools at least compensate the students by bringing them into the college system (whether or not those students take advantage of that is up to you to accept or not) and the NCAA makes millions of dollars just to turn around and tell the students they are not able to benefit from their own work.

Nice hyperbole but it isn't hasn't been like this for a couple hundred years. Only in the United States is sports so intrinsically tied to the "college experience" and sports didn't become such a priority focus until the mid-20th century. Higher education in Europe and Asia still focus on academics with sport as an extracurricular supplement. Of course, Europe and Asia still go out of their way to try to give interested students easy access to higher education, unlike here where students are expected to shoulder high five digit debts.

If you think that I'm the only one who shares the belief that the reliance on sports is detrimental to the end goal of education, you need to start researching the topic.

Europe and Asia also have different societies, and i think we've already indirectly agreed that their education systems are better since the education system in America isn't exactly helping anyone it is supposed to.

However, we live in a country that has principles in capitalism in education, and until all of it becomes nationalized, non-profit, socialized education, it's not going to improve in the States. The only savior to the immediate system is vocational schools that actually teach you how to do a JOB/FUNCTION in society, but those are looked down upon because they are not "4 year universities"

Why is it a problem?

You'd be picking a very strange demography to declare your battlefield with. These athletes are far from being completely disadvantaged since they do have an advantage of excelling at a sport enough to get a scholarship to a college. Same couldn't be said of those that drop out of high school and don't get that opportunity at all.

I think it would be more important and worthy of everyone's time to improve education at the ground level not at the college level where the education they get matters much less. If you define the purpose of college as securing the future of a young adult which would be the purpose of higher education in our modern society, then college has bigger problems than illiterate athletes. Namely engineers who end up being waiters out of school, etc.

Colleges do not exist for the sole purpose of remedial studies of everyone who is illiterate, or even the chosen thousands that end up playing sports. There is no way they have the infrastructure to deal with that issue that is larger than the college system can handle alone.

Also, why do sports "have to be" an "extracurricular activity" according to you? Just because of some antiquated idea that colleges are meant only for education? That stopped being the case in a couple hundred years ago I imagine.

so you're saying that what they are doing in this college is right?

royalan

The only rational alternatives are the following:

1. Athletes are forced to get good grades on their own
2. Athletes who are not getting good grades in previous schooling are not given the opportunity to become college athletes because their grades stink.

Now lets look at the first -- Athletes who have been at a disadvantage in elementary/high school are unable to complete any coursework in college, because, guess what, they can't read at anything higher than a second or third grade level. So, what happens?

they are given special considerations. Extra tutoring or "help with grades" from teachers/deans. Extra tutoring might be the best option here, but where does that leave time for the thing they are actually at that college for? They are given no time to practice because they are at the library studying elementary/high school-level coursework.

the question then begs why are they able to be given special considerations AT ALL? Just because they are athletes? What about all of the other people who are at the college that need the same remedial coursework? Will the school all of a sudden finance tutors for all of them as well? There are limited amount classes for remedial courses.

There is also question of whether or not any of this will actually help them, because if they couldn't get this stuff in elementary/high school, how is that supposed to make it easier for them in college?

ok, so maybe that sounds really expensive and unfair, right? Cause the current system is unfair, we want to treat athletes with less special rights, like personal tutoring, right?

So, the only other option is to not allow these types of students into the athletic programs at all. The school is not able to make a team of athletes that as a result and lags behind in their development because they are excising large amounts of the sports-playing population because they are not getting a minimum grade.

Then what happens to these people who were once allowed to play sports and given a pass? They don't go to any semblance of higher education, even if it is a farce, they don't get any exposure to higher education, and any opportunity for these people that actually WANT to try and improve themselves with education since they are actually enrolled in these classes regardless, can't, because they don't meet the grade standards from high school.

I think I like allowing the possibility of mobility for underprivileged/undereducated students by way of athletic programs.

None of your examples here takes into account that the very fact that colleges (and high schools) have been allowed to glorify and monetize their sports programs is the very problem.

How about we prioritize learning because these schools are, theoretically, for education first and foremost. And if the quality of the athletics department takes a hit, then oh-fucking-well. That should not be why these students are there.

Basically, your two alternatives are the only option if you don't want athletics to take a hit.

I am pretty much in the camp that the NFL should bo longer be allowed to draft college players. They should be forced to fund a semi pro league and only allowed to draft from there.

That'll fix this problem up quickly.

keuja

Off topic but what do you learn in those African American studies and what career prospects does it give you exactly?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
so you're saying that what they are doing in this college is right?

i don't necessarily think there is a right or wrong in this case. i just don't see an alternative that doesn't make for sweeping, unrealistic changes. this is the way it is until there is education reform.

None of your examples here takes into account that the very fact that colleges (and high schools) have been allowed to glorify and monetize their sports programs is the very problem.

we could always have schools get funding from the government. but they always cut education, so where is the money going to come from? donations? why would they donate to a school that excels at nothing if not sports?

if you want to shut down high schools/colleges as an alternative, fine by me. you can't say that the monetization of these sports isn't beneficial to the education system in some fashion either.

How about we prioritize learning because these schools are, theoretically, for education first and foremost. And if the quality of the athletics department takes a hit, then oh-fucking-well. That should not be why these students are there.

Basically, your two alternatives are the only option if you don't want athletics to take a hit.

i don't see how a majority of schools will get by on academics alone. many high schools/colleges rely on their athletic departments to stay in existence and to advertise their school. if there were no football programs, do you think anyone would know about any of those schools?

also, you are only talking about budget cuts to the athletic department. Exactly how does this help the student athletes who are in these programs get better grades? If anything, LESS money in the athletic program means they would get less $ for any possible, relevant solutions, such as tutoring, or getting their books at no cost.

if you are going to talk about budget cuts, you may as well sever the whole program, because you either go all in or you eliminate the programs. Do you think that the education system would be better off with absolutely no sports?

i believe that the benefit of school sports outweighs the negatives, especially when you consider many schools would justify it as a reason to raise tuition even higher (as if they weren't otherwise) because there are no alternative sources of income to allow the school to stay solvent.

There is a conflict of interest at the very core of the education system. funding the school and teaching the students. if the government doesn't fund 100% of a school's funding and allows them to break away from "evil sports programs" then you aren't going to see something that is positive by removing sports programs as it is today.

royalan

we could always have schools get funding from the government. but they always cut education, so where is the money going to come from? donations? why would they donate to a school that excels at nothing if not sports?

if you want to shut down high schools/colleges as an alternative, fine by me. you can't say that the monetization of these sports isn't beneficial to the education system in some fashion either.

Yeah, "in some fashion" alright. Just speaking from my experience at the high school level, I went to a school that had one of the top football teams in the region, and our administration bent over backwards to appease them, and yet couldn't even bother to shell out for a bus for our academic decathlon to travel across town to compete. Budgeting was always a problem for everything BUT our athletics department.

That athletics departments at many schools are self-serving is a pretty old debate. You seem to be arguing from a perfect-world/trickle-down economics perspective where sports departments aren't largely structured to benefit themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom