• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Beautiful OT BruceLeeRoy, you have a very specific style, but it really shines through with this game, looks really nice! I think you're really talented!

Me and my BF3 OT was just shammed together crap and simple photo shop work, but you use some real advanced techniques in your work and it really shows. I guess I'm too lazy to go into that kind of detail. It would take me far too long because I'm not advanced enough, I mean the one part where I did that (the frostbite 2 heading) took me a couple of weeks to do in just itself.

Anyhow... I love this thread, and I fucking LOVE THIS GAME. I think I'm back to my old self where I'm not a very many games gamer any more, but only the cream of the crop really attract me any more, and this certainly is one of those cream of the crop games.

I'm only 50% through so far, but my god, it is such a good ride so far, the graphics are ABSURD to be coming out of the PS3 and staying so smooth, especially with the amount of terrain and deformation going on around you, whether it's scripted or not, it FEELS active.

I freaking LOVED
the Chateau part as it's burning down
is that really a spoiler? It's like the first part they showed off, I've been on media blackout since then so I really know pretty much nothing more than that except there is a boat scene with almost REAL water somewhere in the game but I have no idea what it actually is.

I LOVE THE who freaking thing, how Nate met Sully, the
secret organisation who 'runs the world' since the time of the Crusades vs Nate and gang
... freaking AWESOME!!!!

I'm 51% through the game, I was planning to play for 1 hour last night before I went to bed, ended up playing 3.5 hours. I'm just in
Yemen and about to go down the hole

KingK

I just beat the game...Wow, just...yeah. Beat it on Normal in 8 hours 15 minutes. These are just initial impressions after finishing it, and may end up changing, but I think I'd put UC3 just a tad bit above UC2 for me. It was just so fucking good. The entire second half of the game (
ship graveyard and onwards
) was pretty much the best in the series, while the first half was great, but about on par/slightly below UC2. It's currently edging out Batman as my GOTY.

One thing that seemed odd though was, on chapter 16, I was trying to use stealth, and took out like 4 guys, but every time I'd take out a 4th guy the others would magically know I was there, even though they couldn't see me. I tried it like 3 times before just killing them all in a shootout.

Also, and this isn't really much of a complaint, but
I wish they would have put in a couple more chapters in the desert. I mean, it's supposed to be the main location, but we only get like 2 chapters of actual exploration/shooting in the desert setting. And it was all so good (dat sand tech!) that I felt we should have gotten just a bit more.

And finally, the final location,
city of Iram
, looked absolutely gorgeous *_* and the music and story was the best in the series by far.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Fucking hell...wave after fucking of enemies...you'd figure after I sungle-handed killed a dozen of you fuckers that the rest would run off.

Headshots? Aiming is off and fuck those armoured fuckers...

Maybe it's because I enjoy the story and exploration more, but the combat is fuckin tedious.

Tizoc

Heh, just got a code from Sony for a discount on some multiplayer stuff. Sadly however, I'll be getting the EU ver. so this code is useless to me.

x3r0123

just finished uc3. It was cool. I really liked the
last platforming part
:)
however, i feel that 2 was better than this one.
oh well, naughty dog did a good job anyways

JWong

Banned
x3r0123 said:
just finished uc3. It was cool. I really liked the
last platforming part
:)
however, i feel that 2 was better than this one.
oh well, naughty dog did a good job anyways
I think 2 is deemed better because it was astronomically improved from the last game, and destroyed every other game.

UC3 is a decent improvement, but not as big of an improvement that UC2 is. No games can even match UC2 anyways, so UC3 is just above all games.

Tom Penny

Half way through. UC2 was better up till this point. I just loved the start of UC2. No frills. Hopefully the 2nd half is better.

KingK

JWong said:
I think 2 is deemed better because it was astronomically improved from the last game, and destroyed every other game.

UC3 is a decent improvement, but not as big of an improvement that UC2 is. No games can even match UC2 anyways, so UC3 is just above all games.

Yeah, I feel like if 3 had been released in 09 and 2 was released today, a lot of people who find 2 superior would find 3 superior. Not saying everyone would though, as I think the two games are extremely close in quality, and I just barely rate 3 above 2.

x3r0123

JWong said:

My issue isnt the improvement. I feel that the game was too linear because I was walking in a straight line pretty much for a good portion of the game

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Kagari said:
So is co-op worth playing? I'm not much of an online person, but co-op has a story, yeah?
it has its own story and dialog (granted its not as good as the main game but its fun). its pretty meaty too though theres a large focus on combat.

Lingitiz

Kagari said:
So is co-op worth playing? I'm not much of an online person, but co-op has a story, yeah?
I haven't tried adventure yet but I hear its pretty awesome. I played a match of coop arena and it was pretty fun. The objectives keep the action moving around the map, which has always been a bit of a problem for me in things like Gears 3's horde.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'll have to give it a try then.

In the meantime, might be time to crack this open:
uncharted-fourth-labyrinth.jpg

Just finished the
desert chase
. Best action sequence of the whole trilogy.

Oh and I've been noticing this incredibly amazing piece of music, I need to find what track it is exactly on the soundtrack but it is just rocking.

WebScud

Was there more to unlock in the beta than this? I feel like there was. I thought I hit all the requirements.

3xqaH.png

Rengoku said:
For those who want to know what the secret weapon skins from Comic Con look like:

IENP5.jpg

That looks awesome! Can you pickup regular Para 9 ammo or does it suffer the same fault as the Golden Guns in U2? As far as exclusive DLC, I have the PAX East shirt and the AMC shirt.

kuYuri

I got an email with a voucher code for participating in the UC3 subway beta. Anyone know what it is?

EDIT: never mind

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Mind Games is such a great track from the soundtrack. Really liking it.

Speaking of... the way they used "mind games" in the game was really clever and unexpected.

James-Ape

show some balls, man
This game takes much longer than u2 to get going, but i just made it to chapter 13 and the whole
boat graveyard
section was fantastic.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
WebScud said:
Was there more to unlock in the beta than this? I feel like there was. I thought I hit all the requirements.

3xqaH.png
I got:

Beta Decal Pack #1
Beta Decal Pack #2
Beta Tester Avatar
Treasure Hunter's Starter Pack
Cash Reward

Was that everything?

WebScud

Fuzzy said:
I got:

Beta Decal Pack #1
Beta Decal Pack #2
Beta Tester Avatar
Treasure Hunter's Starter Pack
Cash Reward

Was that everything?

Whoa. What's in Decal Pack #2 and the Treasure Hunter's Starter Pack? How much cash did you get?

KingK

brandonh83 said:
Just finished the
desert chase
. Best action sequence of the whole trilogy.

Oh and I've been noticing this incredibly amazing piece of music, I need to find what track it is exactly on the soundtrack but it is just rocking.

Is it one of these two

shwimpy

James-Ape said:
I do enjoy the melee system, but it could have done with a little more work. It feels very clunky.
Indeed it does... especially coming off of playing Batman. Oh well, nothing game-breaking.

KingK

James-Ape said:
I do enjoy the melee system, but it could have done with a little more work. It feels very clunky.

Yeah, I like how they're going more for the Batman system, to make it a little more engaging, but It definitely needs some work and fine tuning.

JWong

Banned
shwimpy said:
Indeed it does... especially coming off of playing Batman. Oh well, nothing game-breaking.
I didn't find Batman's melee combat that great to look at compared to Uncharted.

Mest30

Banned
Just finished the
body part/mural
puzzle. Fuck that shit. Took me 35 minutes and a YouTube video to figure out. Other than that, great game so far. Just as good as U2 and no problems with the aiming so far. Feels more realistic actually, as it seems they implemented a recoil system. Hopefully will get several hours in tomorrow.

JWong said:
I didn't find Batman's melee combat that great to look at compared to Uncharted.

I think the thing about Batman's combat is that it flows.

Uncharted's has a lot of pauses and it doesn't quite come off as natural. However, I think Uncharted 3's melee system is the best in the series yet. I didn't like the melee system in 2.

I really, really, REALLY, REALLY did not like what the combat turned into past the halfway point. Bullet sponges, and Hammers out the ass. SOOOOOOOO annoying. One section in particular
(the desert shootouts)
was just awful wave after wave of combat arenas. The enemies rush you from every conceivable angle making cover absolutely useless, and the Hammer/Sniper bros are always looking directly at you from 100 feet away. Don't even get me started on the *LATE GAME SPOILERS*
demons
towards the end. Jesus, so gotdamn tedious.

With that said, the game REALLY took off in terms of great locations, set pieces, and graphics after Chapter 10. It's too bad the damn combat arenas were ruining my fun because stuff like
the shipyard cemetery, the entire boat section, the plane set piece, the stuff in the desert, and the horseback sequence
were absolutely amazing. The cutscenes were also incredible. Not enough
closure with Chloe and Cutter, and not enough Elena either
but what can ya do?

In the end I'd give the campaign an 8/10. The combat definitely hampered my enjoyment to the point that for the first time it felt in the way. Still, gotta give ND credit for doing stuff that looks like it shouldn't be done on this generation of hardware.

Square Triangle said:
After playing Batman nearly everyday for the past two weeks I kept hitting L1 by accident from habit of going into detective mode lol.

Same here

I occasionally hit R2 to try and crouch during stealth segments too....

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
WebScud said:
Whoa. What's in Decal Pack #2 and the Treasure Hunter's Starter Pack? How much cash did you get?
I didn't really pay attention to what was in the Decal Pack #2 and I don't see a way to check on the store. Treasure Hunter's Starter Pack is just 5 free treasures in MP. I haven't started MP yet so I don't know how much cash I got.

To answer my own question, yeah I got all of the available rewards.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Square Triangle said:
After playing Batman nearly everyday for the past two weeks I kept hitting L1 by accident from habit of going into detective mode lol.

I keep trying to jump over enemies heads with X. Actually died a few times thinking drake would vault over the enemy.

rhino4evr

Ive played 2 hours, up to Chapter 7. A few thoughts.

Loved the first few levels, it may have been a slow way to start, but I thought it was really a uniique way to begin the game.

I've had zero problems with the controls/aiming/etc.

The combat is completely improved in my opinion. This is no longer a cover shooter, the arenas require you to move quickly and use melee.

I can see why some people are upset about the combat/shooting, but to me it makes the game seem less like a gears cover copy cat, which is something it's been called.

Instead Naughty Dog took their ability for Nate to be agile and increased the stakes.

So anyway...I'm really enjoying the game so
Far, it was really hard to put the controller down.

Got the game earlier tonight:

-Fighting multiple enemies is fun
-Uh, not so sure about the
following people, constant searching, chases etc..
I really hope the entire game isn't like that.

I thought the first act was great. I love the new CQC moves. I cannot wait to see what ND can come up with UC4 on PS4.

Grisby

Hit ch 12 or so tonight and went a bit further. Some of the combat areas aren't that great as its a bitch to hit the enemies.

Two spoilers:
Elena looks way off. Liked her old look better. That, and the whole hazy dark I can control you mcguffin is kinda, eh, stupid?

So yeah, the graphical are freaking phenomenal and I'm liking the character interaction more.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Kagari said:
Yes, yes, and yes! Co-Op Adventure is really good and if you've played U1 and U2 you'll be smiling ear to ear with all the old faces.

WebScud said:
20111103-gek7cu6k7ua3mu5fws3ciesqw6.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So what's GAFs opinion about this game? Better than UC2? It'll be arriving in my mailbox in 9 hours.

Yoshichan said:
So what's GAFs opinion about this game? Better than UC2? It'll be arriving in my mailbox in 9 hours.

Everyone agrees that the game is excellent (Well most) but it seems like there is a divide between 2 and 3 when it comes to preference.

You'll like it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Yoshichan said:

I liked it as much as UC2, but seriously... play it for yourself.

Synless

I don't know if I care for what they did to Elana's face. In some cutscenes she looks really weird. Chloe on the other hand, looks fantastic!!

Top Bottom