• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Lyonaz

Synless said:
I don't know if I care for what they did to Elana's face. In some cutscenes she looks really weird. Chloe on the other hand, looks fantastic!!
But they downgraded the best thing about Chloe... :(

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Kagari said:
I liked it as much as UC2, but seriously... play it for yourself.
Yep! Will definitely do as soon as it arrives :) But I'm just interested in knowing, those who preferred U2, what do they like more about it?
Lyonaz said:
But they downgraded the best thing about Chloe... :(
Did they seriously nerf her ass?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Chapter 12 was greaaaaat. 13 looks amazing.

I had one part in 12 where I kept dying because of the fucking aiming, though. I had to overcome it with amazingly dumb looking blind fire running around. I like the combat sequences they're setting up but they aren't as fun to play as I know they could/should be. :\

Yoshichan said:
So what's GAFs opinion about this game? Better than UC2? It'll be arriving in my mailbox in 9 hours.

I just read someone's post where it said the highs are higher but the lows are lower in comparison to UC2. I completely agree. The damn combat arena style sections in the 2nd half of the game are really just not good IMO. There comes a point where it feels like the difficulty spikes, but it's just the AI being complete dicks, and Naughty Dog deciding to throw every type of soldier at you in every single encounter.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Yoshichan said:
So what's GAFs opinion about this game? Better than UC2? It'll be arriving in my mailbox in 9 hours.
I'm half way through and I'm not having as much fun as U2 at the same point. I'm looking forward to it getting better.

Synless

Yoshichan said:
Yep! Will definitely do as soon as it arrives :) But I'm just interested in knowing, those who preferred U2, what do they like more about it?

Yes, they did, it is a sad day.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Net_Wrecker said:
I just read someone's post where it said the highs are higher but the lows are lower in comparison to UC2. I completely agree. The damn combat arena style sections in the 2nd half of the game are really just not good IMO. There comes a point where it feels like the difficulty spikes, but it's just the AI being complete dicks, and Naughty Dog deciding to throw every type of soldier at you in every single encounter.
Sounds weird... thanks guys.
Synless said:
Yes, they did, it is a sad day.
This sucks.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
And.... CHARTED!

There were some annoyances, but overall, they were minor. This was my favorite game of the console cycle. I think they pretty much beat the pants off everything else out there. Mostly because the game's best qualities are things that really resonate with me.

Will let it sink in for a while before posting detailed impressions... but yeah, pretty incredible achievement, this game.

I honestly don't know how they did it. I value things like animation and game design more than "graphics" but seriously my jaw was on the floor the entire game. Console games are not supposed to look like this. At least not a more than 5 fps. lol.

Naughty Gods.

And such great characters. Very interesting antagonist... loved this game. Few frustrating combat scenarios and a couple dull platforming sections can't bring that down. Barely registers.

For what it is, what's it's trying to do, compared to what other's have done... this was top shelf.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
AgentChris said:
I think all the characters look great; Drake especially, Chloe's face is way better and Elena's butt too.

Chloe looks great now that her eyes aren't so glossy. I will make her my wife.

Majine

Banned
It is the ultimate Uncharted experience, but just barely. Don't go expecting a similar leap as from 1 to 2. There are some aspects it does better than 2 (Story), and then there are some things it does very similar.

leng jai

Played to chapter 8 and in some aspects this is easily the best Uncharted game yet. They really nailed "cinematic" gaming with the amazing cutscenes and voice work. Graphics/audio is off the charts and a step up from even the mighty UC2. Also no more glass eyes!

Unfortunately the gameplay seems to have suffered to an extent. Aiming (which has been well documented) definitely feels gimped and the AI is just plain annoying this time. What's with half of them sprinting towards you with no regard for their own lives? It looks to be a symptom of the new melee system which by the way, isn't great. Not sure if it's just me but half the time melee turns into a QTE sequence that's as forgiving as BF3's. The lack of feedback when the goons are getting hit is disappointing but on the plus side the gina feel meatier.

Also what's with console devs sacrificing AA these days? This game, Gears 3, Resistance 3, Forza 4 are all jaggy fests.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Listening to the soundtrack... definitely top notch. All three are on PSN for $10 each for those who didn't know.

Grr. I still can't connect to MP. Getting an "Error Authentication Failed" message. I even posted on Naughty Dog's forums and got no replies, any email addresses I could contact? I'm on NAT Type 3 because I'm in a dorm but I can at least play any other game online if not have the easiest time finding a match. THis is the first game where I just can't get online.

jett

D-Member
Nearing the end of my crushing run, about to finish chapter 20. I'm having a better time than the my first run. No hype, no expectations, just enjoying the game. And I strangely breezed through sections that gave caused me to die ten thousands times on normal, LOL. It's really all about having the right weapons, and using stealth to GET those weapons. I don't foresee 21 and 22 giving me any trouble in terms of difficulty so I'm ready to declare that Uncharted 1 is still by several orders of magnitude the hardest game in the series.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
jett said:
Nearing the end of my crushing run, about to finish chapter 20. I'm having a better time than the my first run. No hype, no expectations, just enjoying the game. And I strangely breezed through sections that gave caused me to die ten thousands times on normal, LOL. It's really all about having the right weapons, and using stealth to GET those weapons. I don't foresee 21 and 22 giving me any trouble in terms of difficulty so I'm ready to declare that Uncharted 1 is still by several orders of magnitude the hardest game in the series.

Uncharted 1 had those
stupid zombie creatures, so I agree!

I really like the melee combat. It's not on the same level as Batman but just a notch below. I got used to the new aiming at Chapter 12. Uncharted 3 has the perfect blend of everything Uncharted has to offer. Not too many shooting sections, just right amount of chases, platforming and the puzzles are a huge improvement. The story is much better than Uncharted 2's.

I love all the people that say Vanquish is the best 3rd person shooter - Amazing game!

dralla

I must be playing a different game because Chloe looks terrible, by far the worst character model in the game. She looks like she got bad plastic surgery, she almost looks asian? she lost all of her facial features. Elena's looks worse too, not as bad as Chloe though. All they had to do was remove the Riddick eyes from U2 and it would've been perfect

Synless

dralla said:
I must be playing a different game because Chloe looks terrible, by far the worst character model in the game. She looks like she got bad plastic surgery, she almost looks asian. Elena's looks worse too, not as bad as Chloe though. All they had to do was remove the Riddick eyes from U2 and it would've been perfect
Chloe had a pretty bad Leno chin in U2. I much prefer her more asian look in this game.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
leng jai said:
Also what's with console devs sacrificing AA these days? This game, Gears 3, Resistance 3, Forza 4 are all jaggy fests.

it is not sacrificing AA, and neither were the games you listed. they are all employing AA. they are using using now standard MLAA or 2xMSAA techniques. jaggies will not disappear this gen. especially for a game with a lot of geometry, like uncharted.

styl3s

Strider2K99 said:
I got an email with a voucher code for participating in the UC3 subway beta. Anyone know what it is?

EDIT: never mind
What was it? debating if i wanna use it or just give it away.

jett

D-Member
Kagari said:
Uncharted 1 had those
stupid zombie creatures, so I agree!

LOL, I must be the only one that liked them, they completely change the nature of the game at just the right time. It's the humans that cause me real physical pain on crushing.

Fuzzy

styl3s said:
What was it? debating if i wanna use it or just give it away.
It's not from the Subway beta, it's from the June beta. What you get depends on if you completed all of the tasks. If you completed everything then you'll get the following.

Beta Decal Pack #1
Beta Decal Pack #2
Beta Tester Avatar
Treasure Hunter's Starter Pack
Cash Reward

They're all MP rewards except for the avatar.

Fuzzy

jett said:
Oh cool I got a voucher for a nebulous "reward" too. I remember this from the summer beta.
For the people who don't remember, here were the requirements for everything.

Download the Uncharted 3 Beta and receive the exclusive UNCHARTED 3 PSN Beta Tester Avatar!
Complete 10 matches in every mode of Competitive Multiplayer and receive the Exclusive Beta Decal Pack 1!
Complete 5 matches in every mode of Co-operative Multiplayer and receive the Exclusive Beta Decal Pack 2!
Complete 4 Treasure Sets and receive the Treasure Hunter's Starter Pack!
Rank up to level 25 in the Beta and receive a handsome reward of in-game cash on day one!

http://forums.naughtydog.com/t5/CLOSED-Multiplayer-Beta/Uncharted-3-Multiplayer-Beta-FAQ/td-p/304567

branny

I'm taking a break from Sonic to play this, and I just wanted to say that I'm a bit disappointed with how things are handled in the campaign thus far compared to U2 and even U1. I just started Chapter 12 and am already tired of a few things repeatedly being forced onto you.

Triggers to get to the next point are sometimes unclear, take forever, or a bit glitchy/broken.
There are far too many fistfights when the melee combat is horrible.
Those stupid big guy clones you are forced to melee are ridiculous additions.
Why does the aiming acceleration feel really weird?
What purpose does grabbing enemies serve beyond making close-quarters rolling less reliable?

Ugh.

Victrix

*beard*
Finished it.

Rarely have I had my opinion of a game shift so radically from start to finish.

Absolutely hated the combat, and the last several chapters were just loaded with instant death bullshit. Totally ruined the experience.

Left soured, won't be recommending this one to friends, ugh.

x3r0123

Yoshichan said:

uc3 has more of those "omg" moments than 2 but 2 is more balanced in terms of humor, eye candy, action, platforming, puzzles

uc3 has more parts where it rushes you whereas 2 has fewer

a good portion of the game will be linear ala ff13

hell yeah!

The Lamp

I'm not at the chapters where everyone says things get crazy yet, but so far Uncharted 2's wit, humor, balance, and pace is superior.

Oops, I ment to post in this thread, not the aiming one.

Its so awesome running up to a guy with a shield and popping the shield with like 6 quick pistol shots, than jumping over him and taking the shield. I swear the impact of the bullets on the metal is unbelievably satisfying. You have to shoot really fast to see what I'm saying.

Yoshichan

Thanks x3r0123 :)

Tiktaalik

Chapter13? Just cleared out all the baddies on
these ships
and I have no idea where to go now... If ever I need a modern gen giant help me arrow it would be now.

edit: Ahh found it. Stopped and looked around a bit higher.

I wanna know who's bright idea it was to put the dive away from combat button ALSO be the grab a guy and get shot button.

I want names, damnit!

Also, uh...CHARTED! Short-term impressions: Looks INCREDIBLE, and I'm rarely impressed by graphics nowadays. Gunplay is definitely inferior to the last game, melee combat I'm still not the biggest fan of and they just gave us MORE of it for some reason(especially those half a dozen Brute fights, which are the same thing almost every time), and I think UC2 is the more "replayable" of the two. Walking forward for 10 minutes was great the first time, probably not so much the second time around. Cooler climax though, I'm very happy with how that ended.

Honestly, I just want more Uncharted now. I want to keep spending time with these characters, I want to listen to all their banter, even the exposition scenes are a joy. I want more of it ND, so give it to me.

Furoba

Finished the game. Hilarious how
the last shot with the airplane is followed up by the earlier burning plane.

Great game, I liked how snipers now won't shoot you instantly when you are in a fist fight like in part 2. Too bad I won't be able to hook up my PS3 to the internet for 5 more months...

Top Bottom