• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

jett

D-Member
Inanna said:
I was in a match with an ND developer yesterday evening and he never ONCE aimed at enemies. He was blindfiring his uzi like a mad man, running around in circles, melee-ing people... :\

But I do see a lot of people aiming now, instead of sprinting to get close, running around in circles, blindfiring. Only people with Pistole hipfire which makes sense.

LOL are you sure he was a dog?

Yeah blindfire-rushing isn't much of an issue, every now and then I see an idiot with a KAL-7. It always feels great to kill them with precision aiming.

I popped in Uncharted 2 and did a double take when I saw the motion blur. U3 is gorgeous, don't get me wrong, but the effect is totally gone. Wonder if it was a performance issue?

I wish there was an in-universe justification for
these guys STILL trying to kill you when shit is collpasing/falling apart. What the fuck? I'd say fuck Drake, time to bail the fuck out. Not only that, they seem to take the "We have Reserves!" tropes up to eleven. Just how many of these fucks does Marlowe have working for her?!

Inanna said:
I was in a match with an ND developer yesterday evening and he never ONCE aimed at enemies. He was blindfiring his uzi like a mad man, running around in circles, melee-ing people... :\

But I do see a lot of people aiming now, instead of sprinting to get close, running around in circles, blindfiring. Only people with Pistole hipfire which makes sense.
I try to mix it up, I feel like I'm aiming more than I did in the beta.

I just get mad when I'm firing at someone down the sights and they are able to sprint up to me a bitchslap me for a kill.

jett

D-Member
TacticalFox88 said:
I wish there was an in-universe justification for
these guys STILL trying to kill you when shit is collpasing/falling apart. What the fuck? I'd say fuck Drake, time to bail the fuck out. Not only that, they seem to take the "We have Reserves!" tropes up to eleven. Just how many of these fucks does Marlowe have working for her?!

I think it's a series tradition LOL.

laika09 said:
I don't know how much this helps, but the DLC voucher and online pass from my Asian copy aren't redeemable on the US PSN.
Thanks, I know that and will be making an Asian PSN account for those.
What I am wondering is, can I redeem DLC from the Asian store and from say the American store and have them both work together in the same game (specifically the multiplayer kickbacks)?

JVIDICAN

Got up to chapter 13 tonight. I'm really enjoying the hell out of it. and while I haven't played 2 in some time I'm enjoying 3 more than I remember enjoying 2 when it released. :p
Aiming Does feel different, but by no means is it unplayable or even remotely bad. Accept the change, stop resisting and whining about it and you'll be used to it in no time at all. Fantastic work Naughty Dog! <3

I just remebered, why the hell dont guns have stopping power? Its bullshit that im unloading a clip into a guys chest for him to sprint and blindfire like a madman then melee me just like that.

Toki767

A few more trophies left for the platinum. Just need 3 more treasures, 24 RPG kills, and 20 Pak-80 kills. I wish I knew a place to farm RPG kills. They're so rare to have and when you have them there aren't many enemies in sight.

Darknessbear said:
I'm almost thinking of taking video of it and adding more intense music and sounds... haha.

I noticed the strange lack of sounds too - I assume they just wanted the music to be the focus, but it did stick out. Amazing part though.

jett

D-Member
BigJiantRobut said:
I noticed the strange lack of sounds too - I assume they just wanted the music to be the focus, but it did stick out. Amazing part though.

I have to agree that the sound design in that part was just bad. It took away from the moment. I think overall the sound mix in the game is not up to snuff.

Sai

So, while I love the game, I just didn't find it quite as enjoyable as UC2. Few things related to the story, and something feels off about the gunplay too; probably why I couldn't get into UC3's multiplayer a while back.

Also, did they change somethin' about Elena's eyes? She looks a bit nicer this time around around.

jett

D-Member
Sai said:
So, while I love the game, I just didn't find it quite as enjoyable as UC2. Few things related to the story, and something feels off about the gunplay too; probably why I couldn't get into UC3's multiplayer a while back.

Also, did they change somethin' about Elena's eyes? She looks a bit nicer this time around around.

She looks like she splashed her entire makeup kit on her face.

dwebo

Just finished on normal. Beat the other games on crushing, but I don't think I'll bother this time considering how often I got my ass handed to me in the second half (also, aiming issue). I liked 2 better, to be honest. It certainly didn't help that it felt like I'd already seen a large proportion of the game, visually from trailers/demos/beta/etc. and mechanically from 2. My own damn fault, of course, though
Chateau and Syria
being pretty similar to their mp maps was unexpected. Also, one of the significant areas I hadn't seen (
ship graveyard
) ended up being my least favorite section. And the other, the last area, kinda felt like a sandy version of
Shambala

random thoughts:
- villains were far worse, wasting an otherwise promising backstory (
mind-controlling centuries-old secret society?
sure, why not)
-
hallucination
sequences gave me a bit of a headache, though I appreciate that the
supernatural
enemies this time weren't
real
- dead simple traversal chases and longer (often forced) melee weren't really positive additions for me
- needed more elena (damn her tv show). all returning faces looked a bit off, the women more so, and elena most of all
- was I supposed to know who charlie was? 2 handled the different characters better, or at least some of them didn't just
go home halfway and not come back

Hmm, that ended up being all negatives. Puzzles felt a bit meatier, I guess. Game was still amazing to look at, voices / dialogue / music were still great. More Uncharted 2 is not a bad thing, at least not yet.

BigJiantRobut said:
Yea, I'd understand that if the music was more intense and louder with more bass to push the epic feel of it. But it was this wimpy song.

Sai said:

Yeah, I definitely feel the same way. UC2 was a better experience for me. That isn't to say that UC3 is bad by any means, however. It's a very good game.

Regarding Elena: I preferred her look in UC2. Chloe, however, is smoking hot in this. Wish she had more screen time.

dwebo

Fjordson said:
I know it's lame, but somebody help a brother out =(
Yeah,
3-4
maybe? I don't remember them showing up much
in the second half
, and you only
interact with them (ie. not just run away) 2 times

I thought UC3's opening was more boring than fucking Twilight Princess'.

Yeah I totally went there. I was bored to tears until about halfway through the
first chateau level.

James-Ape

show some balls, man
Finished it!

I didn't enjoy this very much at the start. The emphasis on fist fighting would be OK were the fighting not so clunky. Also, for me, the story stuff was a little boring at the beginning. Having Drake climb on things only for them to break is getting a little old for me now, so while the chateau was visually spectacular, it wasn't as fun as I had imagined.

I really started to enjoy this after chapter 10 or so. The melee, while clunky adds an extra layer to the already great combat. The aggressive AI is fantastic, forcing you to keep on your toes ( I played on Hard from the start) and the much talked about aiming didn't bother me so much any more.

When it was good, for me this was definitely better than uncharted 2, but it had far more lulls and they are all concentrated at the start (uncharted 2 definitely had it's lull moments, but they seemed more spread out)

Anyway, well done Arne and everyone else at ND for making such a fun and beautiful game (the desert in particular is very beautiful)

Fjordson said:
I know it's lame, but somebody help a brother out =(

SPIDER SPOILERS
Can't give you an exact number, but
you see them in more than one chapter.

They stay away from you initially when you have the torch equipped.

But in the later chapters they become more aggressive and come at you, pretty intense :D

giancarlo123x said:
I just remebered, why the hell dont guns have stopping power? Its bullshit that im unloading a clip into a guys chest for him to sprint and blindfire like a madman then melee me just like that.

giancarlo123x said:

giancarlo123x said:

ARE YOU READING ARNE???

now seriously, I understand that for the game to become "fun" for casual players they needed to introduce some cheap mechanics so everyone could walk away after a match with some kills and the desire of going back to the game every day, JUST LIKE CALL OF DUTY!.. what about removing the need to aim and making players invincible while they run blindfiring eating bullets just like that? this would make mediocre players think they're good and they'll stick to the game and hopefully buy future DLC packs! genius! (sarcasm obviously, removing stopping power from the summer beta build was a terrible idea).

Naughty Dog... add stopping power please... nerf blindfiring autoaim... at least for Hardcore mode.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
BigJiantRobut said:
I popped in Uncharted 2 and did a double take when I saw the motion blur. U3 is gorgeous, don't get me wrong, but the effect is totally gone. Wonder if it was a performance issue?

Motion blur was supposed to be in the retail version of the game, and indeed the effect was present in earlier builds. ND are looking into the issue. I suspect it will return via a patch soon enough.

Now that I'm thinking about it...I think the
Plane sequence is the only thing I would count as a..."set piece" or at least maybe the set piece that I would consider UC2 level. Because the set pieces in this game kind of suck compared to the second game. Seems all the scores were justified after all. *sigh* Goddammit. Retrospective fucks with my perspective!

TacticalFox88 said:
Now that I'm thinking about it...I think the
Plane sequence is the only thing I would count as a..."set piece" or at least maybe the set piece that I would consider UC2 level. Because the set pieces in this game kind of suck compared to the second game. Seems all the scores were justified after all. *sigh* Goddammit. Retrospective fucks with my perspective!
I think that and the
horseback riding segment
were pretty on par with UC2.

BigJiantRobut said:
talkin' bout spiderz.

The Xtortionist said:
I thought UC3's opening was more boring than fucking Twilight Princess'.

Yeah I totally went there. I was bored to tears until about halfway through the
first chateau level.

Did, you, err, quote the wrong person, friendo? :p

Finished on normal about an hour ago but totally had a blast playing the game. Feels like everything from chapter 16 to the end was a total blur, but it was a total rush.

Had some really cheap deaths for sure, but I enjoyed a lot of the battles that were towards the end. Last two chapters were something else for sure, but I liked that it wasn't a total focus on the supernatural like in the previous two games.

Great character interactions, particularly with Nate and Sully, throughout the game but I do love the rest of the crew.
It was nice seeing the truth of what happened with Nate and Elena, as well as Sully's speech about being a father.

Controls, after turning up the sensitivity, handled better this time around so it wasn't a hindrance to play anymore.

And the graphics... Holy crap at what Naughty Dog's been able to do... I was in awe of the desert for sure - that sand. O_O

Need to go replay the game on either hard or crushing this time around.

Toki767 said:
A few more trophies left for the platinum. Just need 3 more treasures, 24 RPG kills, and 20 Pak-80 kills. I wish I knew a place to farm RPG kills. They're so rare to have and when you have them there aren't many enemies in sight.

1. Get RPG
2. Kill dudes
3. Die
4. Repeat until trophy.

Well Guys I got to chapter 8 and I have decided to take the game back to where I bought it and trade it in.......to get the collectors edition cause its that goooood.

EloquentM said:
um did you miss that whole
cap-sizing cruise ship set piece
?
Just because you found it impressive doesn't mean that others will. That part was definitely nice, but not jaw dropping for me.

dwebo said:
No cheats store in this? Was hoping it'd be unlocked after game completion. Even less reason to replay, if so.
Yeah, I'm kind of disappointed that this doesn't have extra content like the stuff found in UC1 and 2.

I also found the title menu disappointing after the amazing menus we got in UC1 and 2.

And no cool
credits song like "The Road to Shambala" from UC2. :(

ShogunX

Maybe it's just me but whats with the lack of new fresh multiplayer maps?

Three were featured in the beta and four have been re-skinned from Uncharted 2 which leaves only four that are fresh. Reminds me of Gears of War 3 in that regard so I hope the game doesn't get stale after a few days. I'm probably just being greedy here but these days I get shooter burnout extremely fast :(

I guess that's the one thing COD always seems to get right in that it ships with a decent set of maps giving the game a bit more longevity.

Anyway enjoying the game so far in both single and online modes.

Fjordson

BigJiantRobut said:
I'm about 2/3rds of the way through and there have already been
3? Maybe 4
encounters.
dwebo said:
Yeah,
3-4
maybe? I don't remember them showing up much
in the second half
, and you only
interact with them (ie. not just run away) 2 times
jett said:
OneMoreQuestion said:
SPIDER SPOILERS
Can't give you an exact number, but
you see them in more than one chapter.

They stay away from you initially when you have the torch equipped.

But in the later chapters they become more aggressive and come at you, pretty intense :D
Thanks guys. I guess that's not too bad. Though I just got through the part in chapter 6
where they're chasing after you and Sully has a torch.
Almost had a panic attack :lol

Kagari said:
In the meantime, might be time to crack this open:
uncharted-fourth-labyrinth.jpg

Finished it in two days - book's totally awesome. Spent the rest of the week after reading the book thinking about mazes and laughed out loud when listening to Florence + The Machine's Rabbit Heart (Raise It Up) - mostly due to a particular reference in the song that relates to the book.

Definitely felt like an Uncharted adventure - but in prose form.

Sean

Banned
RoboPlato said:
I thought the same until I hit chapter 12. The first part is a lot more exploration based and focused on smaller fights. It opens up a lot and ramps things up a ton later on.

Looking forward to reaching chapter 12 since the consensus seems to be it gets better at that point, but it's not exactly a good sign when you can write off the entire first half of a game.

Very poor pacing IMO.

protonion

I'm on my second playthrough looking for the treasures. Some of them are impossible without a guide!

I tried the mp a bit. Coop is fantastic as I expected. However the other modes... not so much. I didn't even like U2 MP so I didn't have many hopes. It just feels so random. Also I hate that many (if not most) of the encounters end with the players killing each other. This is bad design.

I wish the focused on coop more. It's there when the mp shines.

NeoUltima

Just finished. Don't know if I like this or UC2 better.
It's hard to give a fair assessment as UC2 had the benefit of coming out first.

I guess I'll just say they're on par with each other, until I play them back to back in the future.

Not everyone will feel the same way though. The games are kinda different with the pacing. UC3 is deliberately slower paced (more puzzles and platforming, less combat) in the first half. Some people will probably prefer UC3 pacing. Others UC2. And others will be undecided like me.

Regarding the ending, not necessarily a criticism:
the ending scenario was sure similar to UC2...Escape ancient city as it crumbles beneath your feet. Can't blame ND, its certainly more exciting than just walking out. But it would have been nice for them to come up with something more unique lol.

Anyway, awesome fucking game. :)

Edit: Wow. Just watched the launch trailer on Uncharted TV. Jesus Christ. Spoils almost everything. I feel bad for anyone that watched it before playing the game. Fuck marketing.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Unbelievable, just finished it up on hard. Definitely noticed the pacing was different for the first half with emphasis on the puzzles and platforming. One gripe is the platforming is a bit predictable, and not as intense when it's constantly happening. That being said the puzzles were a lot more interesting and difficult this time around.

I thought there were a lot more set pieces in this than in 2... they basically took what they had in UC2 and made it better... particularly the
horseback scene, which was incredible
. The game is supposed to be about the experience, and damn ND presents it so well. There are definitely a few parts of the game that were unfairly setup I thought. Lots of learn by dying and such, but outside of that and a few control problems I'd have to give the edge to this one.

jax (old)

Banned
I'm up to -6-, a couple of observations.

A) I kept not being to figure out what to do next and it pissed me off a bit

B) I hate the modelling revisions to the heads. Seems to be a set back. Drake @ 6 looks like a dirty racoon. In fact; I was looking at his head and then I turned off my PS3 at that point. It just looks worse. Eyes are pushed way back. He was perfect in 2. Chloe looked weird as fuck too.

C) the movement/camera in -2- was really bad and I kept getting nabbed and thinking "drunken stew". Maybe AV club had a point??

D) I kind of dislike the pacing. I didn't like -1-. And I didn't like -2-. It seems like it took 3++ chapters to become an uncharted game.

Top Bottom