• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Kagari said:
Honestly... I liked the slow start. I appreciated being able to walk around the environments and it was different from the other two games. It definitely made the ramp up into extreme action all the more intense later on.

Agreed

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Kagari said:
Honestly... I liked the slow start. I appreciated being able to walk around the environments and it was different from the other two games. It definitely made the ramp up into extreme action all the more intense later on.
I did too. Soaking everything in during those first few chapters was so nice and refreshing breather from a lot of the other games I've played recently which have been balls to the wall from the start. It also helps that once the crazy action bits come they're insanely awesome.

KingK

ghostofsparta said:
So, 7-8 hour campaign? Really? Naughty Dog you're lucky I love you or I'd be pissed right now.

I beat it in 8 hr 15 min. For comparison, I believe I beat UC2 at a little over 9 hours my first time through.

Tom Penny said:
Yep. I'm not sure if this tops UC2 unless the last 3rd absolutely blows my mind. If the beginning didn't start so slow It would be on an equal playing field. I really wish Naughty Dog would make an RPG it would probably take a bunch of disk but have the best environments ever :)

I like the slow parts. Just that whole castle level was really boring and not up to Uncharted standards. It drags down the entire first half. But after that's out of the way, the story picks up and it just gets better and better. The last third WILL blow your mind.

I'm watching the bonus features. Ahhh. I love this series. I love these characters. Naughty Dog, never ever stop making Uncharted games! :'(

Finally started, after about four hours made it to chp 10, very easy, a shame there is still no trophy for this difficulty setting. Anyway, why no explanation of these
spiders?

Need to actually play multiplayer, however I did check to see which skins were there, why no
Young Drake

TheExodu5

Banned
The combat scenarios in this game feel like such a massive downgrade from Uncharted 2. In the previous games, enemies would try to flank you constantly and the environment in which you fought would encourage you to keep moving and taking strategic points. Half of the scenarios I've seen so far involve corridors of enemies, with no flanking opportunities. The combat is frustrating and boring. The bullet sponge enemies are not helping one bit. I don't care if someone has a SWAT vest on...I shouldn't require 20 headshots to kill him.

As enjoyable as the story is, the combat sequences in this game are incredibly poorly designed.

Kagari said:

Agreed, it would have felt VERY samey if the game started out in the middle of some big thing like UC2 did.

I really didn't have any problem with the pacing in the game. I feel like each time they wanted to shine some light on some of the characters or show off a setpiece or mechanic, it lasted the perfect amount of time.

TheExodu5 said:
The combat scenarios in this game feel like such a massive downgrade from Uncharted 2. In the previous games, enemies would try to flank you constantly and the environment in which you fought would encourage you to keep moving and taking strategic points. Half of the scenarios I've seen so far involve corridors of enemies, with no flanking opportunities. The combat is frustrating and boring. The bullet sponge enemies are not helping one bit. I don't care if someone has a SWAT vest on...I shouldn't require 20 headshots to kill him.

As enjoyable as the story is, the combat sequences in this game are incredibly poorly designed.

Even when it opens up to the point where you do have space to move, the "go go go" AI behavior mixed with the hammer guys, and bullet sponge armored dude still ruin the combat. I swear to God that if Naughty Dog didn't figure out how to have instant reloading on checkpoints, people wouldn't be so accepting of the trial and error style of combat in this game. There are several scenarios that feel like Super Meat Boy: Shooter Edition where unless you make just the right moves and/or pick just the right people off, you'll get your ass handed to you.

NeoUltima

Question about DLC skins: Can you change the color schemes on them? Or are they stuck with their default UC2 colors?

Kagari said:
Same. Some people just want non-stop action I guess (nothing wrong with that).

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Kagari said:
I did as well. It helped to underscore the fact that the games have never been PG-13 SOCOM or Gears, even though it would be hard to fault newcomers for thinking it if they just started with the MP betas.

Lingitiz

Dedication Through Light said:
Finally started, after about four hours made it to chp 10, very easy, a shame there is still no trophy for this difficulty setting. Anyway, why no explanation of these
spiders?

Need to actually play multiplayer, however I did check to see which skins were there, why no
Young Drake
It would probably be really weird to shoot a kid in MP.

TheExodu5

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:
Even when it opens up to the point where you do have space to move, the "go go go" AI behavior mixed with the hammer guys, and bullet sponge armored dude still ruin the combat. I swear to God that if Naught Dog didn't figure out how to have instant reloading on checkpoints, people wouldn't be so accepting of the trial and error style of combat in this game. There are several scenarios that feel like Super Meat Boy: Shooter Edition where unless you make just the right moves and/or pick just the right people off, you'll get your ass handed to you.
Yup. That's exactly how I feel. I'm seriously tempted to bump down the game to easy or very easy so I can just ignore the combat. It's a shame, because I loved the combat in the previous games (apart from the few bullet sponges near the end of UC2).

gdt

Dedication Through Light said:
spiders?

Young Drake

I imagine some people would be offended by...him shooting a gun and killing.

Oh and Very Easy?

Dynedom

Beat the game. Hard difficulty. Took about 10 hours and I probably added an hour of simply reloading points to try and complete them entirely with stealth kills. Seems about right. I blew through UC2 on Hard pretty quickly as well. If one is longer than the other, I didn't really notice.

Overall great campaign. Too early for me to draw comparisons to UC2. Both have their ups and downs. I do like the gradual buildup from slow to in your face by the end.

I am not doing my Crushing playthrough until aiming gets patched. I didn't have a lot of issues in fire fights except until the very end and even then, maybe not more than 2-3 tries max at the more difficult ones (except for
one courtyard where you fight a whole bunch of "ghost riders" and that's because I didn't realize they had that god damn hadouken attack)
. This game has some incredible firefights though. I don't really have the issues that most people seem to have of being steamrolled (mostly because I tend to move around a lot but who knows). Situation might be different on Crushing.

When this game piles it on in terms of scale and direction, it's unbeaten. Graphically, a lot of this game is jaw dropping. Yes I miss motion blur but some of the insane lighting seems like a nice tradeoff for now. Hopefully they patch m-blur back in. Some of the vistas in this game outshone even UC2 and that's quite a feat.

Not rating this game until I have a full run through of the Coop Campaigns. For the SP campaign alone though, I'd give it a 9/10.

jett

D-Member
NeoUltima said:
Question about DLC skins: Can you change the color schemes on them? Or are they stuck with their default UC2 colors?

Same. Some people just want non-stop action I guess (nothing wrong with that).

You can change colors. No accesories.

And for some reason Fat Lazarevich doesn't come in the fortune hunters thing.

Dynedom

One thing that was definitely trial and error was completing entire sections via stealth. Almost every major area where stealth-completion was possible was not intuitive and borderline impossible. I usually ended up taking out as many people as I can before triggering the last few enemies (or it would simply turn out this way and I would be too fed up to do it). It almost seemed intentional. I mean, I'll be going back and retrying it on Crushing but on my first playthrough, it was not worth it to figure out the correct sequences.

UC2 seemed a lot better in this respect. It was one of the ways I managed to cruise through Hard difficulty for it. This also makes me want to go back and finish it on Crushing.

Chuck

Still without luck
Why why why why why why why, in the hell did they change Elena's face?? I mean they fixed Chloe's, why did they fuck with Elena? She doesn't look right!

This makes me really sad. :(

ChuckNoLuck said:
Why why why why why why why, in the hell did they change Elena's face?? I mean they fixed Chloe's, why did they fuck with Elena? She doesn't look right!

I agree. Elena does look a little odd.

jett

D-Member
Dynedom said:
One thing that was definitely trial and error was completing entire sections via stealth. Almost every major area where stealth-completion was possible was not intuitive and borderline impossible. I usually ended up taking out as many people as I can before triggering the last few enemies (or it would simply turn out this way and I would be too fed up to do it). It almost seemed intentional. I mean, I'll be going back and retrying it on Crushing but on my first playthrough, it was not worth it to figure out the correct sequences.

UC2 seemed a lot better in this respect. It was one of the ways I managed to cruise through Hard difficulty for it. This also makes me want to go back and finish it on Crushing.

The amount of places you can fully stealth your way through in UC3 are few. There's almost always an unstealthable couple of enemies that will inevitably trigger reinforcement, although usually the reinforcements are fewer than they would be if you hadn't stealth killed anyone. The stealth aspect was really disappointing for me, I loved it in UC2 and I wanted to see it expanded here, but it was not.

Reikon

TheExodu5 said:
Yup. That's exactly how I feel. I'm seriously tempted to bump down the game to easy or very easy so I can just ignore the combat. It's a shame, because I loved the combat in the previous games (apart from the few bullet sponges near the end of UC2).

Yup, I got to the boat section and got tired of the combat and switched it to very easy. Doesn't feel like I missed much.

I didn't enjoy UC3 as much as the previous games. The gameplay felt worse and the character interactions weren't as entertaining, not to mention it seemed like 75% of it was Drake alone or just Drake and Sully.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
ChuckNoLuck said:

Because all the processing power went into making Drake look good, of course :D

dwebo

I don't want to harp on Elena's face too much, lest I seem like some obsessive weirdo, but it really boggles my mind how they went from

D7fg4l.jpg

to

XzD7z.jpg

Dynedom

jett said:
The amount of places you can fully stealth your way through in UC3 are few. There's almost always an unstealthable couple of enemies that will inevitably trigger reinforcement, although usually the reinforcements are fewer than they would be if you hadn't stealth killed anyone. The stealth aspect was really disappointing for me, I loved it in UC2 and I wanted to see it expanded here, but it was not.

I felt this way during the
airstrip section. I managed to stealth kill everyone with a flashlight and then the last 2 idiots are standing with the backs to a wall facing forward. Absolutely no way I could see to avoid triggering them. I remember a similar situation in the ship graveyard too.

I agree about it being disappointing. It added a great element of strategy in UC2 and you felt rewarded for doing it properly (i.e. more ammo, medal work, etc). This game seems to throw combat in your face. It's one of the reasons why, even with aiming fixed, I can probably never score this SP campaign as high as UC2's.

dwebo said:
I don't want to harp on Elena's face too much, lest I seem like some obsessive weirdo, but it really boggles my mind how they went from
Yup. In U2 she looked like a real person. In U3 she looks like a doll.

jett

D-Member
dwebo said:

D7fg4l.jpg

to

XzD7z.jpg

Your comparison isn't doing UC2 Elena in favors.

She looks weird when she first shows up(must be the lighting or something), but she looks fine afterwards.

615426_20111025_screen002.jpg

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I thought Elena looked WEIRD in shots, but in motion she looks good. Weird change that I don't think was needed, but eh. Chloe's eyes getting fixed was good to see, but I'm not sure what they did with the rest because I think she looks a lot worse.

dwebo

jett said:
Your comparison isn't doing UC2 Elena in favors.

She looks weird when she first shows up(must be the lighting or something), but she looks fine afterwards.

http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/2011/297/615426_20111025_screen002.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I tried to have their faces in similar orientations! Anyway, is that an example of her looking weird or fine, because that still looks weird to me.

I agree it was worse when she first showed up, though. Her last scene ([spoiler]er, near middle not end[/spoiler]) had moments where she almost looked the same as in 2.

Dynedom

Out of curiosity, how many treasures did you guys pick up on your first play through in the time you did?

10.something hours for me and I got exactly 60. I didn't realize that I had collected so much and a nice round number at that.

burgerdog

I think this is the third time I ask this: does anyone know if they still have the making of videos after you beat the game? I can't find that or theater mode.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Dynedom said:
Out of curiosity, how many treasures did you guys pick up on your first play through in the time you did?

10.something hours for me and I got exactly 60. I didn't realize that I had collected so much and a nice round number at that.

29... I need to go back and find more.

burgerdog said:
I think this is the third time I ask this: does anyone know if they still have the making of videos after you beat the game? I can't find that or theater mode.

Once you beat it, hit single player again, and it will be under bonuses. Though they may not be making of videos. Just behind the scenes.

(I think theater mode is under the second tab in the multiplayer menu, and you have to hit right on the d-pad.)

WebScud

Dynedom said:

I got 49 on my first play through and another 30 on my Crushing play through. I got the stragglers with a guide after that.

Dynedom

Kagari said:
29... I need to go back and find more.

I won't lie in that I was actively searching them out but in some chapters I couldn't even bother. In fact, I'm pretty sure I stopped actively searching once I
hit the ship graveyard
. If I happened to see a shiny object though, I'd go after it.

Jarmel

Banned
gdt5016 said:
I imagine some people would be offended by...him shooting a gun and killing.

Oh and Very Easy?

More like because
the enemy would be shooting at a kid
. I still would have liked the option.

Dynedom said:
I felt this way during the
airstrip section. I managed to stealth kill everyone with a flashlight and then the last 2 idiots are standing with the backs to a wall facing forward. Absolutely no way I could see to avoid triggering them. I remember a similar situation in the ship graveyard too.

I agree about it being disappointing. It added a great element of strategy in UC2 and you felt rewarded for doing it properly (i.e. more ammo, medal work, etc). This game seems to throw combat in your face. It's one of the reasons why, even with aiming fixed, I can probably never score this SP campaign as high as UC2's.
I just got through with the spoiler tagged part, the exact same thing happened to me. I was ticked, and to make it worse the game autosaves right after that so you can't even retry the stealth bit.

The Chef

Just did Chapter 12 & 13.
HOLY CRAP @O@ This game just keeps blowing my mind.

The rain pooling on the boat decks. Wow. And some seriously tough fighting in those chapters.

WebScud

burgerdog said:
There are four videos under the Bonuses menu. They unlock as you progress through the campaign.

Top Bottom