• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
thetrin said:
Other than melee and grenades, what other option do I have? Because of the aiming issues, I can't hit things in the head unless they're standing still and I have a few minutes to aim.

And even then, this guy takes like, a billion shots to the face.

(I never get enough sniper shots off before I'm dead)

It's really odd this whole "aiming issues" thing. Either I don't notice it or my copy is magical :p

Just kill that first guy to the right of the truck, grab his sniper rifle. Shoot the dude on the dune. The big brute should appear to the right of the dune, under the archway... sniper shot him a few times before he ever gets close enough to shoot.

thetrin said:
Well obviously, but the machinegun guy can track me when I'm running, and rolling means I can't shoot.
Don't play his game. Kill him from afar before he gets close.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
BocoDragon said:
It's really odd this whole "aiming issues" thing. Either I don't notice it or my copy is magical :p

Just kill that first guy to the right of the truck, grab his sniper rifle. Shoot the dude on the dune. The big brute should appear to the right of the dune, under the archway... sniper shot him a few times before he ever gets close enough to shoot.
Ah! He's on the right. Thanks. Whenever I grab the sniper rifle, I can't tell which one is the machine gun guy, and I run out of rounds taking out any silhouette I see.

To your other point, some people are experiencing it, some are not. I dunno.

BocoDragon

thetrin said:
Ah! He's on the right. Thanks. Whenever I grab the sniper rifle, I can't tell which one is the machine gun guy, and I run out of rounds taking out any silhouette I see.
Yeah just look for the fat guy silhouette ;)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
BocoDragon said:
Yeah just look for the fat guy silhouette ;)
There are a couple other armored dudes that come after you. That's what messes me up. They all look like the same scary fat man.

I would just like to say that people magically appearing when you alert someone is kind of stupid. I have no problem with reinforcements, but it's like they beam down from a space ship seconds after you're discovered.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
BruceLeeRoy said:
I am halfway through batman AA, I am dodging
Myrrah on her Mothra
epic mount in GOW3, I have unopened copies of Dark Souls and BF3. I have beaten UC3 and yet all I want is more Uncharted. These games ruin me.
Its the graphics man.. They're so good it makes it like impossible to play any other game. I just went back and tried Gears 3 again and.. yeah.. uc3 is just in a league of its own

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Represent. said:
Its the graphics man.. They're so good it makes it like impossible to play any other game. I just went back and tried Gears 3 again and.. yeah.. uc3 is just in a league of its own
does anyone else notice the texture quality on drakes french sweater? wtf

BocoDragon

thetrin said:
There are a couple other armored dudes that come after you. That's what messes me up. They all look like the same scary fat man.

I would just like to say that people magically appearing when you alert someone is kind of stupid. I have no problem with reinforcements, but it's like they beam down from a space ship seconds after you're discovered.
I don't really understand that. You're in a cluster of enemies, and if you fire an unsilenced gun or otherwise cause a scene, they come after you. They're not spawning out of nowhere, they're there already.

thetrin

BocoDragon said:
I don't really understand that. You're in a cluster of enemies, and if you fire an unsilenced gun or otherwise cause a scene, they come after you. They're not spawning out of nowhere, they're there already.
No, they definitely appear. I ran past a bunch of guys into the area with the rocket launcher, and as soon as I got on top of a wall and grabbed the RL, the machine gun just spawned right next to me and then disappeared. And then I got my ass handed to me by 6 guys who climbed up and shot me to death. :(

The numbers during stealth and lower than the numbers when you alert.

Maybe it's my imagination, but the game definitely spawns in a set amount of enemies when you alert guards. I noticed this is in the
boat graveyard
. I had cleared out 3 boats on stealth, went to the last, and alerted someone by mistake. Suddenly, the other three boats had 3 guys each.

storl026

Angry Grimace said:
As much as I love the Uncharted series, something's gotta give in any further installments with the invincible bad guys that take six shotgun blasts and just keep walking at you because they have magic body armor that is completely impenetrable while the helmet is still attached.

I hate the armored guys. They're not fun for me to fight at all.

storl026 said:
I hate the armored guys. They're not fun for me to fight at all.

They aren't so bad as long as you have a few grenades or if you aim at their head. Aiming at their head will knock their helmet off and then you can just land a headshot.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
thetrin said:
No, they definitely appear. I ran past a bunch of guys into the area with the rocket launcher, and as soon as I got on top of a wall and grabbed the RL, the machine gun just spawned right next to me and then disappeared. And then I got my ass handed to me by 6 guys who climbed up and shot me to death. :(

Maybe it's my imagination, but the game definitely spawns in a set amount of enemies when you alert guards. I noticed this is in the
boat graveyard
. I had cleared out 3 boats on stealth, went to the last, and alerted someone by mistake. Suddenly, the other three boats had 3 guys each.

I noticed this too, in both the area you mentioned and earlier
in the Syria castle. The room with you and cutter, I cleared all but one. He saw me. Suddenly a ton of enemies ran out and it was a full scale firefight.

thetrin

SolidSnakex said:
They aren't so bad as long as you have a few grenades or if you aim at their head. Aiming at their head will knock their helmet off and then you can just land a headshot.
In my experience, it still takes a few shots to hit off the helmet, but maybe that's my own poopy aiming.

BocoDragon

thetrin said:

boat graveyard
I think guys are mostly getting spawned in a very scripted way when you reach certain "checkpoints". Some of those checkpoints may be the "alert", so in that sense i can see your point.

I don't think we have an "infinite badguys during alert" scenario, a la Metal Gear. I'm not even sure that it increases the badguys. Those reinforcements will probably be triggered no matter what you do.

daoster

I love this game. I love how Naughty Dog hid the game so well. I love how varied the locations have been, and how I had no idea that we were visiting some of these locations.

I really just want to sit down in one sitting and beat it, but at the same time...I don't want to...I just want to enjoy it as long as possible.

storl026

SolidSnakex said:

My dislike is mainly because I'm playing on Hard. I can clear a whole room, but then one of the armored guys comes rolling up and one-shots me with a shotgun when I'm trying to line up the headshot.

Raonak

Banned
I enjoyed the
desert sandstorm encounter. so many different ways to execute it. I saw my brother dying a lot trying it, i picked up on some tatics.

first retreat to the structure with the sniper on top, climb it and, kill the sniper take his sniper handgun. I sniped the hammer guy and the other sniper, by that time the shotgunner came.

I had a machinegun from the prior checkpoint, which i used to kill the shotgunner when he came close enough, took his shotgun, and gunned down anyone else who came close. and picked off enemies with the sniper handgun. then grabbed the rpg, fired at the first truck.

I then moved forward, to the first truck, grabbed the sniper, took down other far away enemies, then moved towards where the guy with the hammer was, used it to take down the second truck.

colt45joe

Banned
yeh i seem to remember uc2 having a set amount of enemies in each area, and when reinforcements came in, it was totally clear where they were coming from.

in UC3, many times it feels like enemies come from out of nowhere. Maybe its just that the enemies are way more aggressive in this game.

Jtrizzy

Just finished the game, it was great. From chapter 10 or so on, it was one of the best games I've played. It's amazing how good this looks for a console game. Even after playing Bf3 on Ultra for the last week this game is impressive. The physics of the different moving levels etc is especially impressive.

thetrin

BocoDragon said:
I don't think we have an "infinite badguys during alert" scenario, a la Metal Gear.
No, definitely not.

The game definitely likes to kick you in the junk when you fuck up a stealth section, though. :p

BocoDragon

thetrin said:
No, definitely not.

The game definitely likes to kick you in the junk when you fuck up a stealth section, though. :p
As per my edit above... I wonder if those reinforcements would show up even if you stealth successfully?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
canadian crowe said:
I must be in the minority, but I'm not enjoying chapters 12-14 at all.

The game is at it's best when you aren't shooting anything. I love the brawls though.
The firefights are very good. Trust me. Just be aggressive, and use the environments, melee and grenades. Don't take cover a lot, keep running and trying crazy things. It's much more dynamic than Uncharted 2.

thetrin

BocoDragon said:
As per my edit above... I wonder if those reinforcements would show up even if you stealth successfully?
I have a feeling they wouldn't.

If you take
the graveyard
for example: my guess is that if you clear out each boat, and then get to the top mast, those snipers would still spawn because they're triggered by getting to that part of the level. However, I THINK the boats would not spawn more goons. Otherwise, what's the point of a successful stealth attempt if you just spawn dudes that aggro when you fail anyway?

Someone that has a save there and rocks at stealth is free to test that.

Raonak

Banned
I think for each enemy in the stealth section, they have 2 or so reinforcements. So if you stealth killed more people, less reinforcements show up (this is all speculation, i felt this was the case in some stealth areas in U2)
EDIT: and that person's 2 reinforcements wouldn't appear if you had stealth killed him.

I think it makes sense, because theres a lot more effort stealth killing a person than shooting him with 4 bullets.

thetrin

Raonak said:
I think for each enemy in the stealth section, they have 3 or so reinforcements. So if you stealth killed more people, less reinforcements show up (this is all speculation, i felt this was the case in some stealth areas in U2)

I think it makes sense, because theres a lot more effort stealth killing a person than shooting him with 4 bullets.

It makes stealth largely a waste of time if it just spawns reinforcements anyway. It would also make you a really shitty stealth killer if you just alerted everyone after killing an entire platoon from the shadows.

I still haven't managed an ENTIRE stealth section without alerting someone, so I can't be sure.

BocoDragon

thetrin said:
I have a feeling they wouldn't.

If you take
the graveyard
for example: my guess is that if you clear out each boat, and then get to the top mast, those snipers would still spawn because they're triggered by getting to that part of the level. However, I THINK the boats would not spawn more goons. Otherwise, what's the point of a successful stealth attempt if you just spawn dudes that aggro when you fail anyway?

Someone that has a save there and rocks at stealth is free to test that.
Would be interesting to see.

Although with Uncharted being as scripted as it is, I'm not sure if I want to peel back the curtain that much ;)

thetrin said:
It makes stealth largely a waste of time if it just spawns reinforcements anyway. It would also make you a really shitty stealth killer if you just alerted everyone after killing an entire platoon from the shadows.
Good point. But guys could enter the room even if they aren't aggro..?

web01

Man the pacing of the first 10 chapters is really uneven,
was not until I got to
fight the pirates in the ship graveyard
that I actually felt like i was playing an uncharted game. Before that it felt like playing a losely connected series of set pieces.

thetrin

BocoDragon said:
Would be interesting to see.

Although with Uncharted being as scripted as it is, I'm not sure if I want to peel back the curtain that much ;)
I actually agree with you, and that's actually why I like most of the sections that are heavily scripted in Uncharted, because they're actually a lot of fun, and they're well tuned.

The arena segments seem...strangely tuned. At least to me.

BocoDragon said:
Good point. But guys could enter the room even if they aren't aggro..?
Sure they could, but wouldn't that be so demoralizing? I'm not saying you're not right, but man wouldn't that suck? You kill a whole group of guys with your killer stealth tactics, and they're just replaced by more guys when you turn around.

Raonak

Banned
thetrin said:

I still haven't managed an ENTIRE stealth section without alerting someone, so I can't be sure.

No as in: the reinforcements would only come in when you've been spotted.

so if theres 3 people in a room. you get seen, 6 reinforcements come in (2 for each person)
if you stealth killed 1 person, 4 reinforcements would come in. and if you stealth killed all, no reinforcements would come in.

That actually gives stealth a bigger advantage. again. speculation.

leng jai

Charted!

I have to say, slightly disappointed with this game although its still excellent.

Compared to Uncharted 2, its just not as good. In fact I'd say a few areas were significantly downgraded. Graphically it has higher highs, but Uncharted 2 is far more consistent. There are some areas in the third game that look absolutely terrible. This is without mentioning the worse implementation of AA - the second game had a far cleaner image. Not sure what happened but the cutscenes seemed to have some messed up contrast which made them more washed out than gameplay. The set pieces are about equal in quality though some feel like they have been recycled from the second game in a different setting.

Gameplay has suffered as well due to the extra focus on melee and unfair battle sequences. I don't know how many times an enemy just seemed to appear behind me resulting in a frustrating death. I can't see how the new melee system aided gameplay at all. Half the time enemies just rushed you head on to get into melee range which is frustrating when it takes you out of cover and you're then killed by a sniper 100 metres away. On the plus side guns feel meatier and more satisfying to use, and I didn't really have too much trouble. I really liked the few areas with destructible terrain - this should have been used a lot more to enhance the gun fights. The audio was sublime as usual besides the instances where it would cut out. The soundtrack was definitely better and more memorable than UC2's.

I've mentioned this before but the game feels unpolished, especially for a Naughty Dog game. The animations are somewhat janky at times, textures don't pop and the audio frequently cuts at in particular scenes. The extra jaggies also contribute to what seems like a slightly rushed end product. A patch would do wonders for future playthroughs.

Perhaps one of the most disappointing aspects of UC3 was the change in character dynamic. A lot of characters are underused and the banter just seems infinitely worse. I chuckled a lot in UC2 but not much here. Drake was alone a bit too much for my liking. The banter and group dynamic were what I loved most about UC2 and I really feel ND dropped the ball in this regard. The pacing was horrid at times - a few areas went too long and weren't cohesive. One particularly long level felt like it contributed nothing to the overall plot which made it feel pretty detached.

Its hard to fathom how this game so many 10/10s with so many flaws. This is definitely in the 8.5/9 range for me.

thetrin

Raonak said:
No as in: the reinforcements would only come in when you've been spotted.

so if theres 3 people in a room. you get seen, 6 reinforcements come in (2 for each person)
if you stealth killed 1 person, 4 reinforcements would come in. and if you stealth killed all, no reinforcements would come in.

That actually gives stealth a bigger advantage. again. speculation.
Yeah, I got your point. I'm not sure if it works that way. It does make a half-successful stealth section still worth it.

BocoDragon

thetrin said:
Sure they could, but wouldn't that be so demoralizing? I'm not saying you're not right, but man wouldn't that suck? You kill a whole group of guys with your killer stealth tactics, and they're just replaced by more guys when you turn around.
Yes, but some of these set pieces aren't to be missed. Like that section in Syria... you're supposed to deal with a LOT of guards in that big open area. I could see the waves of enemies being forced even if you're King Stealth.

But.. there's one answer to this and someone will figure it out.

BocoDragon

leng jai said:
Gameplay has suffered as well due to the extra focus on melee and unfair battle sequences. I don't know how many times an enemy just seemed to appear behind me resulting in a frustrating death. I can't see how the new melee system aided gameplay at all.
Story/Adventure-wise, I think the melee sections add a lot. They really contribute to the gritty duke-it-out Indiana Jones feeling. I've cheered out loud more than once during a brawl.

Gameplay wise... you're probably right! I don't think it's technically as fun as clean gunplay, and it often boils down to mashing square and paying attention for triangle/circle QTEs.

thetrin

BocoDragon said:
Yes, but some of these set pieces aren't to be missed. Like that section in Syria... you're supposed to deal with a LOT of guards in that big open area. I could see the waves of enemies being forced even if you're King Stealth.

I do agree the set pieces shouldn't be missed, but if you're giving a player the option to stealth kill everyone in the arena (and it's very obvious when the game wants you to), I would think that stealthing, killing everyone and moving on would be the optimal experience for that section.

But yeah, someone will have an answer at some point.

Raonak

Banned
leng jai said:
Its hard to fathom how this game so many 10/10s with so many flaws. This is definitely in the 8.5/9 range for me.

once again. 10/10 does not mean flawless or perfect.

I thought it was better than 2, mainly because of the change of pace. It felt like a adventure game rather than a (third person) shooter.

BocoDragon

I think 2 is better.... but only because of the law of diminishing returns. I think they're very similar quality games.

thetrin

Raonak said:

I thought it was better than 2, mainly because of the change of pace. It felt like a adventure game rather than a (third person) shooter.

No it doesn't, but it does mean "As good as it gets given its contemporaries and the technology afforded", and the game is simply not that.

There are actually so many things I love about the game, but what's keeping it from being truly great is the combat balancing, the aiming, and the really bizarre jumping/climbing issues i've had a few times.

leng jai

Raonak said:

I didn't say it did but IMO a game with so many flaws shouldn't get so many 10/10s. Again everything is someone's opinion so whatever.

Diebuster

BocoDragon said:

Are you talking about the part where
you're with Charlie and have to use the stars to find the pillars?

I used stealth on everyone, and no reinforcements came. Comparing to someone else's playthrough on youtube, there's definitely less bad guys than if you go guns blazing; different types too.

Played for a few hours, this game is not as good as Uncharted 2 in any way shape or form.

The gunplay is offensive, so is the fluro lighting. The pacing is slow as well. Just not feeling it right now. Reviewers were wrong, as per.

BocoDragon

Diebuster said:
Are you talking about the part where
you're with Charlie and have to use the stars to find the pillars?
Yes.
Diebuster said:
I used stealth on everyone, and no reinforcements came. Comparing to someone else's playthrough on youtube, there's definitely less bad guys than if you go guns blazing; different types too.
So it is... thanks for the info.

BuvnZ.jpg

sephi22

Charted Hard!
Felt underwhelmed early on but the game hooked me from Chapter 13. Chapter 20 is my favorite sequence from any UC game, but overall the game doesn't top UC2 for me.

8.5/10

Just Charted on hard. The game's picks up in the final 4 or so chapters although the amount of nonsense they put you through almost negates it. Overall, I'd rate the campaign an 8.5. Oh well, time to play multiplayer to cure myself of saltiness.

Riposte

My initial impression of UC3's multiplayer is very low. I mean I am still getting some enjoyment out of it, but all the anti-competitive overlaying systems(this game is Call of Duty squared, jesus christ) and (seemingly) lack of skill or level-based matchmaking made that impression largely negative. Great mechanics in terms of moving around(haven't adjusted to the maps yet), but so much garbage packed on top. Yeah, I know about hardcore, I'll be playing it more in the future. I wish there was hardcore objective though.

Funny enough, I killed Darksydephil of YouTube fame a few times.

Haven't cracked the single player or co-op stuff yet. Maybe I should wait for a patch.

Anteater

Lingitiz said:
People seem to forget that the beginning of UC2 was also very slow. The whole ending sequence apart from the scenery was pretty bad.

nah people didn't forget, there were a few posts in this thread where people commented on their favorite chapters being Nepal in uncharted 2, and the game was pretty weak towards the end (especially the last boss).

Top Bottom