• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Controls wise, it's (imo) probably a 7/10 game, but the whole package brings it up to 9/10. That's my opinion. A shame, considering how great controls their other franchises have had. I have a feeling that the priority on controls is somewhat low, compared to their priority on graphics and presentation.

But then again, there aren't really that many third person shooters with fantastic controls.

-Amon-

EatChildren said:
EatChildren Life Protip No.309: People have, shockingly, different opinions about things, especially when it comes to entertainment products. Sometimes people like/dislike things more than others!

It's not a matter of different opinions really.

It's a matter of overhelming bitching in every thread of every game.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Have the game sitting waiting to be played but think I'm gonna wait and see if they patch these control issues. Fed up of playing games that get 'fixed' a while after I've already finished them and I can rarely be bothered to replay to experience the 'fixed' experience.

Beta testing departments either need to be given more priority or power rather than waiting for a ton of consumers brow beating to get things actually fixed, or if this is their incompetence in not picking stuff like this up, fired. I'm absolutely sick of it.

Raonak

Banned
-Amon- said:

People who have problems are more vocal.
If you have a problem with something, you tend to want to see whats wrong. by going on the forums and whatnot.
If you are enjoying something; you don't tend to bother.

CozMick

Banned
Just finished the Campaign,

Greatest single player I have ever played, clocked in at 7 hours. (Normal)

Visuals, sound, animations, voice acting, set-pieces, script, all blew my mind.

DevelopmentArrested said:
One thing that's kind of strange in this game.. to the point where I thought maybe it was hiding some loading:

the very tight space sections you walk through, there are 5-6 in the game. there were none in either of the first 2 uncharted's.
Huh? There were a few in uc2, what are you talking about?

Quote to see EUROPEAN codes for the following online upgrades:
- Carpet Bomb Kickback
- Creepy Crawler Kickback
- Clip Size Mod for G-MAL
- Callout Mod for AK-47
- Clip Size Mod for Para-9
- Regeneration Booster

I don't play this online so i thought i'd give them to someone who does! :D

Anteater

finished it,
terrible last boss, don't know what's with the fist fights, guess they probably didn't even try this time since all we do is complain about how terrible the last boss was the past 2 games :lol

Finished it at 9:25, though I clocked in 36mins on Time spent standing still.

monome

Noisepurge said:
- Carpet Bomb Kickback
- Callout Mod for AK-47
- Regeneration Booster

clever

hamchan

Finished yay. I'd put the game equal to Uncharted 2, even though I thought some of the pacing at the start was real off and the aiming issue which I sorta fixed by putting the sensitivity way up. The 2nd half of the game is extremely well done, though some of the moments gave me deja vu from UC2. Like UC2 the game has upped the quality level of set pieces in games. Goddamn crazy shit goes down.

Very excited to see what Naughty Dog does next.

Anteater said:
finished it,
terrible last boss, don't know what's with the fist fights, guess they probably didn't even try this time since all we do is complain about how terrible the last boss was the past 2 games :lol

I was at 6 hours+ at chapter 14 last night with 55+ minutes spent standing still. I imagine I'll have quite the clock count by the end.

Noisepurge said:
- Carpet Bomb Kickback
- Callout Mod for AK-47
- Regeneration Booster

Snagged the Creepy Crawler and Regeneration one, thanks!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
-Amon- said:

Or it's a matter of you unnecessarily focusing on the vocal disappointed while giving a free pass to anybody singing praise to high heaven.

Like every game like this the bitching about the bitching is hypocrisy in it's finest form.

NeoUltima

Anteater said:
finished it,

Underwhelming final bosses
are a series tradition lol.

Spoiler:
The final battle could have been cooler if they had Talbot use some of his drugs on you. Could have done some crazy shit with the hallucinations. Talbot is suppose to be a 'magician', yet you just have fisticuffs with him :/. Wasted opportunity.

ProfessorMoran said:
Different lead character designer, the last guy joined blizzard.

Now it all makes sense.
elena.gif

Pranay

EatChildren said:
Or it's a matter of you unnecessarily focusing on the vocal disappointed while giving a free pass to anybody singing praise to high heaven.

Like every game like this the bitching about the bitching is hypocrisy in it's finest form.

I can understand what your saying.

But i was disappointed when i played till chapter 5.

Felt the game is overrated

But from chapter 7 to chapter 19 game has been awesome for me.

Will Finish the rest later

Just a quickie but I remember hearing numerous time from ND saying that an actor came back to do one final scene that really fleshed out their character more as such but I don't know what scene they are on about...Does anyone know anything about this and what it was they were talking about?

Atruvius

SuicidalSteve said:
Just a quickie but I remember hearing numerous time from ND saying that an actor came back to do one final scene that really fleshed out their character more as such but I don't know what scene they are on about...Does anyone know anything about this and what it was they were talking about?
I guess they forgot to put that in.

This is probably weird but the most emotional part of the game was when
Drake lost his ring at the end. Damn it I've gone on amazing adventures with that ring and I want it back.

StuBurns

Banned
Played Urban Warfare from UC2 this morning, I haven't touched UC2 in a year or so. It certainly reenforced my opinion that it's a significantly better game. The better aiming and inclusion of motion blur are the on the nose things, but also in terms of encounter design, the level design itself too.

Although 1 to 2 was a bigger leap in technology and scope than 2 to 3, they still managed to produce something incredibly polished, UC3 feels a little rough around the edges by comparison. It feels a few months shy of that final level of polish. Oddly I felt the same way about KZ3. KZ2 was incredibly polished start to finish, and for whatever reason, KZ3 didn't touch it in that regard. In that example there's a significant time difference though.

-Amon-

EatChildren said:

I've yet to understand why is so disturbing to someone read about others having fun playing a game lol.

Sometimes i think it's a strange form of envy, by someone who don't enjoy the media anymore.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
StuBurns said:
Played Urban Warfare from UC2 this morning, I haven't touched UC2 in a year or so. It certainly reenforced my opinion that it's a significantly better game. The better aiming and inclusion of motion blur are the on the nose things, but also in terms of encounter design, the level design itself too.

Although 1 to 2 was a bigger leap in technology and scope than 2 to 3, they still managed to produce something incredibly polished, UC3 feels a little rough around the edges by comparison. It feels a few months shy of that final level of polish. Oddly I felt the same way about KZ3. KZ2 was incredibly polished start to finish, and for whatever reason, KZ3 didn't touch it in that regard. In that example there's a significant time difference though.
Yeah, it's odd. I finished UC3, and I now appreciate the package as a whole more in retrospect -- I like what they did to give the general pace and tone a genuinely different feel from UC2 -- but yeah, in every respect but the story, it feels like the second Uncharted game, whereas Among Thieves feels like the game Naughty Dog would make after learning some lessons from the development of Drake's Deception.

No one section of the game, with the possible exception of the amazing boat sequence, touches the borderline perfection of the Nepal city section (Urban Warfare through the train) in UC2.

---

I really liked how they ended the story, by the way. I liked the story in general. It was a welcome and very, very impressive change of pace from Uncharted 2. I wasn't expecting it.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
-Amon- said:
I've yet to understand why is so disturbing to someone read about others having fun playing a game lol.

Sometimes i think it's a strange form of envy, by someone who don't enjoy the media anymore.
What's disturbing is legions of people blindly defending something that does not really need defending, especially when this means holding it back (see all the people denying the aiming problem's existence, when it could instead be fixed and the game could improve further).
Both extremes are equally annoying, envy and bitterness have nothing to do with it.

Kweh

How 'hard' is Hard difficulty? Thinking about playing on that setting on my first playthrough to hopefully make it last longer. As long as there are no super annoying bits?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
-Amon- said:

It's got nothing to do with that, but the patronising, demeaning tone you use to express yourself and belittle people who don't share you're enthusiasm.

Pranay_ said:
I can understand what your saying.

But i was disappointed when i played till chapter 5.

Felt the game is overrated

But from chapter 7 to chapter 19 game has been awesome for me.

Will Finish the rest later

I wasn't talking about my impressions.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
But yeah, in all, I'm very happy with UC3. It wasn't just UC2 again, it left a strong impression of its own, for better or for worst, and I really respect that.

Kweh said:
How 'hard' is Hard difficulty? Thinking about playing on that setting on my first playthrough to hopefully make it last longer. As long as there are no super annoying bits?
It's all manageable. It took me nearly nine hours on hard. There were some rooms that required a few tried to get rightl but once you wrap your head around it, there aren't really any roadblocks.

wouwie

Just replayed Chapter 12 on hard and i loved that chapter this time. Surely one of the highlights in the game. Shoot-out has room for different approaches and i like the platforming going on after the shoot-out. Great use of verticality. It combines everything i like about Uncharted gameplay wise. And it looks awesome.

I game PC only with a gtx580, but i'm watching darksydephil play through UC3 and it looks incredible. Its an offscreen camera feed, but it's not so much the graphics that get me, (though the animation is exceptional) it's epic shit look running out of a burning house as it collapses in dramatic fashion. And holy shit at this music and banter, these actors are clearly having some fun acting out these characters. Wish I had still had a ps3. I'm literally applauding at some of the shit I've seen.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Rez said:
Yeah, it's odd. I finished UC3, and I now appreciate the package as a whole more in retrospect -- I like what they did to give the general pace and tone a genuinely different feel from UC2 -- but yeah, in every respect but the story, it feels like the second Uncharted game, whereas Among Thieves feels like the game Naughty Dog would make after learning some lessons from the development of Drake's Deception.
I agree completely with this. I'll add that the first half of the game, to me, felt a lot closer to the first than UC2, while the second half felt closer to the sequel instead. By first half, I mean everything up to Drake
reaching the tanker
This for a variety of reasons, including pacing, tone, the more aggressive AI,
the pirates
, the
motorboats on fire mirroring chapter 1 from Drake's Fortune
, the empty rooms that turn into setpieces for shootouts when you come back (common in UC1, not as much in 2), and a stronger feeling of actually exploring a location instead of traversing through separate levels (the one thing UC1 did better than 2).
I appreciated this.

Kweh said:
I found it easier than UC2 and a lot easier than UC1, especially the first part where enemies with automatic weapons are less common and you can take more hits before going down.

theignoramus said:
I game PC only with a gtx580, but i'm watching darksydephil play through UC3 and it looks incredible. Its an offscreen camera feed, but it's not so much the graphics that get me, (though the animation is exceptional) it's epic shit look running out of a burning house as it collapses in dramatic fashion. And holy shit at this music and banter, these actors are clearly having some fun acting out these characters. Wish I had still had a ps3. I'm literally applauding at some of the shit I've seen.

Now imagine it was running on your gtx580 on PC how amazing it would look.But ya it,s such a beautiful game every PS3 has a tiny wizard living inside of it that makes game,s like uncharted 3 look and run that well.

Raonak

Banned
Rez said:
It was a welcome and very, very impressive change of pace from Uncharted 2. I wasn't expecting it.

Yeah, loved the pace of it. Like the slow bits. that said, i love the mundane things in Heavy Rain too.

ScOULaris

What's funny is that nobody who has expressed disappointment with the game is attacking those who are loving it. It's only the people who are over the moon for Uncharted 3 that dismiss others' complaints as cynical bitching. It's almost like their sense of good taste is threatened because they can't find fault with something that others do.

StuBurns

Banned
ScOULaris said:
What's funny is that nobody who has expressed disappointment with the game is attacking those who are loving it. It's only the people who are over the moon for Uncharted 3 that dismiss others' complaints as cynical bitching. It's almost like their sense of good taste is threatened because they can't find fault with something that others do.
They remind me of Neo when he first finds out what the Matrix is, crawling on the floor throwing up in disbelief.

jett

D-Member
ScOULaris said:

Well there was this one guy who said he was sorry for everyone who bought the game instead of renting it... :p

ScOULaris

jett said:
Well there was this one guy who said he was sorry for everyone who bought the game instead of renting it... :p
If it weren't for the decent multiplayer offering, I probably would have rather rented it. I don't intend to revisit the campaign like I sometimes did with Uncharted 2.

Solo

ScOULaris said:

Welcome to every game thread on NeoGAF. Devoted fanboys gonna be devoted in their fanboying.

leng jai

Looks to me like most people who are complaining about difficulty are playing it normal. Seems like perhaps Normal is a bit harder than average and Hard is fine for "Hard", if you catch my drift. People who are playing it on Hard are expecting the difficulty so they have less of an issue with it.

Vitor711

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
This is probably weird but the most emotional part of the game was when
Drake lost his ring at the end. Damn it I've gone on amazing adventures with that ring and I want it back.

It was a fitting end though - now that part of the saga is over, it makes sense for him to part with the ring, whether intentionally or not.

For me the most poignant moment was
a certain scene with Elena and just how incredibly well observed and sweet the interactions between her and an exhausted Drake were.

As for the game's difficulty - I personally think that the Co-op adventure is borderline broken. And this is coming from someone who put countless hours into UC2's Co-op campaign and went back to it frequently months after release.

I don't like the placement of enemies (spawning in behind you), I don't like the way they spawn (a puff of smoke, seriously? Talk about tonal inconsistency guys...), and I hate how much it takes to bring down an armoured guy. Their health seems considerably buffed up from the second outing and taking them on is just an exercise in tedium and patience, not skill. Plus, without the big mini-gun dudes, it feels like there's less variety in terms of opponents.

Raonak

Banned
ScOULaris said:
If it weren't for the decent multiplayer offering, I probably would have rather rented it. I don't intend to revisit the campaign like I sometimes did with Uncharted 2.

Yeah, i could see a lot of the bits being tedious on the second playthrough. Plus the lack of SP bonuses really annoyes me. my biggest complaint. (second being no cutscene viewer :( )

Ill probably wait til i do a second playthrough. Got multiplayer to keep me occupied.

For me the most poignant moment was a certain scene with
Elena and just how incredibly well observed and sweet the interactions between her and an exhausted Drake were.
Yes! that scene was great. the interaction between nate and elena in this was really good! In U2 it felt a bit weird. chloe had better interaction with nate in U2 than elena.

ND really needs to patch in that cutscene viewer. I want to watch some of them again.

Finished it up in two sittings - only because I started late day 1! - and the game was incredible. Some of the later gun fights were a bit frustrating due to spamming enemies and pinpoint accurate weapons. I loved the (lack of) awareness in UC1 enemy AI a bit more than enemies who can react instantly to you regardless of your choices.

Set pieces were phenomenal and art direction was peerless. I had hoped for a stage like the Ice Caves from UC2, but there was more than enough in UC3 to keep me impressed and amazed throughout.

The story and acting were much more dramatic this time around and the pace of delivery was definitely the best in the series. I have enjoyed the stories of all 3 for what they are, but this script felt much more like a movie. There were a few instances where the story seemed to deviate to pointless tangents and Drake must be the luckiest man ever considering the number of times he survives due not to his own skill. However, in the name of epic set pieces I will let that go.

I am glad to read that ND is looking into the aiming issues as I want to make a crushing run and was not satisfied with the gunplay experience. MP seems fine and has a good pace so I will be putting time in there between BF3 sessions, but I am definitely looking forward to another run through the main story. Thank you ND for taking the time and putting forth the effort to craft an experience that engages on so many levels. Hopefully your successes will encourage others to follow suit.

Thrakier

So what's that with headshots in MP? Sometimes I can clearly hear that I hit a headshot 2 or 3 times or even 4 times and the other guy is still standing. Also I just shot a guy twice in the head and meleed him after this but he didn't die.

eloestmn

Co-op is so fucking fun, just cant get enough of it. Playing arena on Syria on the hard difficulty is so intense, I can only imagine how insane its gonna be on crushing.

I was playing Team Objective tonight and got killed by the creepy crawler kickback for the first time. o_O There was no one around me at all and since it was on Dessert Village I honestly thought someone was glitching until I saw those creepy things crawling around. Too funny.

Pejo

Well, just pulled my 2nd late-niter to finish this game last night. Simply blown away by the presentation. I was on Google voicechat with a friend and she kept asking me why I kept going "ohhhhhhh wow".

Normally I'd be pissed that I spent 60 dollars on something I beat in 2 days, but these may have been the best 2 days of my gaming life.

Also, aiming issue realllllly hit for me last night, in the 2nd half of the game where the number of enemies faced really ramps up. Would love to do a 2nd playthrough after it's patched (if it gets patched) on a higher difficulty, but ended up not being able to finish some of the bigger firefights so I had to dumb it down to "easy".

Also, I felt the hand-to-hand combat was REALLY well done in this game. I actually wanted to use it this time around, and I felt that ND did a really good job of forcing the player to run and gun and punch instead of camping a safe spot. This is especially notable on levels like the
giant cruise ship where the cover would dynamically move while you were trying to use it as the ship was swaying.

I'm on Chapter 7 I think, pretty amazing game although I feel like I'm really shoe-horned into certain actions. It gets a little repetitive when a lot of my actions are "Oh shit, that was close!". The aiming thing I really can't comment on as I rarely play anything except the great exclusives on my PS3 due to my dislike of the DS3 so in all honesty, I don't notice anything ... as I suck with the setup anyway lol!

Other than those minor issues I'm having (again, aiming I don't really notice because I suck with a DS3 anyway) it's amazing. Love the presentation and the story. While there is a bit too many "Oh shit, that was close!" moments I haven't felt they've been detrimental at all to the pace or anything, some few odd choices when you're being shoehorned though (
Castle burning down so instead of grenading the front door they just closed on you, you climb UP? a burning building?
) but it's all about presentation so I understand some of that.

All and all I'm not too far but loving it so far. Honestly I've not touched Gears 3 and regretfully Forza is taking a little backseat drive right now while I plow through Uncharted because it's just amazing fun. While the first two games had their really strange twists that seemed really out of place (
Zombies and an Abominable Snowman
) I'm hoping it's more well done in this one. Same with a better final boss than U2.

Chapter 12 and 13...shiiiit.

Also the combat at the beginning of chapter 12 was pretty great, it feels like a stepchild of Arkham City, and that's a compliment since AC is the best as far as hand to hand combat goes. Fighting groups of regular guys are fun, but once the big guys come in it feels more like a QTE segment.

Top Bottom