• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Mr.Fresh

I'm up to chapter 13 now and I'm loving the hell out of it. I had to make myself stop playing because I have work in the morning. Im loving it just as much as Uncharted 2!

Since when did Chloe become Japanese? Elena also has kind of Asian eyes. Up to chapter 10 and just had the game freeze. Enjoying it so far, but up to this point I'd say UC2 was the better game. Will say this though, that reviewer who gave it 5/10 is an utter moron.

partime said:
The color, detail and clarity in this game is unreal. I can't wait to play it on easy and pick up all trophies while snooping around. I sold my 360 a while ago, and with games like this I have no regrets.

i'm doing this on my first playthrough. gives me another reason to look at the environments and not rush through the game. it's too good to end too early.

Began my very easy run tonight, since I'm mostly going for treasures and weapon kills.

Only on Chapter 5, but already I'm noticing how the enemy AI seems to be considerably slower than they were on normal. It's kind of odd actually... :p

Part of me kind of wishes that I had played on at least easy during my first run to enjoy the story, but then again, I was enjoying the story wholly as I was playing on normal anyways.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Meisadragon said:
They rate the overall package, not just the SP.
I just can't get past this reasoning. I couldn't possibly look at a game with three modes, say "This central mode has a lot of problems, but it's still a lot of fun....10/10", and feel like the score was justified.

Then again, number scores are fucking stupid anyway.

Pranay

Meisadragon said:
The firefights are very good. Trust me. Just be aggressive, and use the environments, melee and grenades. Don't take cover a lot, keep running and trying crazy things. It's much more dynamic than Uncharted 2.

Agreed , im doing the same

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
thetrin said:
I just can't get past this reasoning. I couldn't possibly look at a game with three modes, say "This central mode has a lot of problems, but it's still a lot of fun....10/10", and feel like the score was justified.

Then again, number scores are fucking stupid anyway.
I wouldn't give it a perfect score either... but if someone gave a 9 I wouldn't bat an eye. The flaws are not obvious and universal.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Meisadragon said:
They rate the overall package, not just the SP.

Can't speak for co-op, but the MP should take it down if anything in its current state. :\

Reviews pretty much NEVER criticize actual MP components anywya, they just tell you all the features and say "it's fun".

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Lingitiz said:
People seem to forget that the beginning of UC2 was also very slow. The whole ending sequence apart from the scenery was pretty bad.
not only that but there were many graphical hiccups in uncharted 2 people seem to be omitting from their memory. bodies would spasm through geometry sometimes when killed. things would pop in and out of existence right in front of you. if you moved through an area too fast texture wouldn't be able to load fast enough to catch up, etc etc. sure the AA solution in uncharted 2 may have been better and there was motion blur but c'mon this game looks brilliant.

furthermore the pacing in UC3 is phenomenal. if anything it makes you appreciate the story that much more because of how the plot thickens and develops. it gives you a reason to understand why drake is doing the things he's doing such as in when he's
searching for sully on that cruise-liner
or to further emphasize upon the fact that
drake just doesn't when to throw in the towel, even when other people's lives are at stake
; this pacing allows for an even grander story telling that UC2 could have ever given us. this is why I am baffled by people who call the pacing boring. people complain about the story not being up to par in UC2. they complain about there not being enough puzzles and there being too many gun-fights. they complain about
delving into a deeper relationship with sully
and yet people are still not satisfied. its been said before but gamers are fucking spoiled.

The actual GAMEplay in Uncharted 3 leaves a lot to be desired. Fucking terrible shooting for a shooter. I can usually adjust to terrible controls (hello Too Human), but the aiming... I thought people were overreacting.

BocoDragon

Phonomezer said:
The actual GAMEplay in Uncharted 3 leaves a lot to be desired. Fucking terrible shooting for a shooter. I can usually adjust to terrible controls (hello Too Human), but the aiming... I thought people were overreacting.
They are overreacting based on my experience. I haven't noticed a thing. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. But I accept that I'm probably wrong somehow :p

Pranay

Phonomezer said:

ND asking to fix it, however i didnt find much issue

Papercuts said:
Can't speak for co-op, but the MP should take it down if anything in its current state. :\

I know this is the internet and whatnot but do people really gotta complain about everything?

I played MP and it's easily in a better state than the beta, nothing seemed "broken", all worked as intended and most importantly it was fun.

And people throwing around numbers like 7 for the SP, I'm thoroughly amused.

Sean

Banned
I'm on chapter 19 and although the setpieces have gotten much better compared to the first half, much of these combat scenarios are truly bullshit/unfair that it's ruining my enjoyment. Snipers, grenade launchers and/or RPG's, enemies rushing you on the ground while you're getting shot from above, constant grenade spam, lots of armored shotgun enemies, etc.

Even ignoring the aiming issues, the combat just isn't very fun in this game.

Papercuts

Pranay_ said:
Err ?

MP is much better then the beta

I'm still going to delve into it more after I beat the campaign, but the few games I've played were basically the same as the subway one ended at. Even basic stuff that TrainWRECK has made great videos showing, like 3 Team Deathmatch. In this mode, wins count as losses, and they have since the subway beta began. I don't know how stuff like that isn't fixed yet.

Papercuts

bobbytkc said:
I too, did not notice any issues my first run through. The matter is overblown. Its a GAF trend nowadays.

Yes, that's why ND is actually having someone from gaf come into their studio later today, and why there's giant threads on naughty dog forums, gaf, gamefaqs, etc. all talking about horrible aiming.

Yup, of course. This video I recorded showing how the UC2 aiming is smoother and doesn't get stuck on enemies is absolute voodoo. Completely overblown, nobody should have said a thing so that the issue people have would never get addressed. Much better that way, fuck them. Stupid gamers.

Lightning

Banned
Phonomezer said:
Meh.... I finished normal mode with a shot accuracy of 87% and that included shooting locks and tresures which brings your accuracy down for no reason. The mechanics merely take getting use too, imo.

Funny just checking out the reviewer who gave Uncharted 3 a 5/10 but gave Uncharted 2 a 10/10.... I am just baffled how anyone can make this conclusion given how similar both games are and that, imo anyway, Unchatrted 3 is the better game.

Sean said:
I'm on chapter 19 and although the setpieces have gotten much better compared to the first half, much of these combat scenarios are truly bullshit/unfair that it's ruining my enjoyment. Snipers, grenade launchers and/or RPG's, enemies rushing you on the ground while you're getting shot from above, constant grenade spam, lots of armored shotgun enemies, etc.

Even ignoring the aiming issues, the combat just isn't very fun in this game.

Play on Easy then. Or are you already?

bobbytkc said:
I too, did not notice any issues my first run through. The matter is overblown. Its a GAF trend nowadays.

Of course mate, must be my imagination.

Wouldn't bring it up if it weren't an issue, but it has it's own thread so I'll stop talking about it here.

jediyoshi

Been watching a lot of triplewreck's videos, some pretty compelling arguments.

toherethroughyouj6crg.gif

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Papercuts said:
Yes, that's why ND is actually having someone from gaf come into their studio later today, and why there's giant threads on naughty dog forums, gaf, gamefaqs, etc. all talking about horrible aiming.

Yup, of course. This video I recorded showing how the UC2 aiming is smoother and doesn't get stuck on enemies is absolute voodoo. Completely overblown, nobody should have said a thing so that the issue people have would never get addressed. Much better that way, fuck them. Stupid gamers.

ND is doing so because they are awesome and listen to their fanbase. Does not change the fact that the issue is still overblown. Some people were saying the game is unplayable. What a load of crock.

Phonomezer said:

Wouldn't bring it up if it weren't an issue, but it has it's own thread so I'll stop talking about it here.

You need to learn some comprehension. I simply said the issue is overblown, not necessarily that it does not exist, or, to use your words, due to your "imagination". Going back to high school may help.

-Amon-

It's sad to read this thread really.

Uncharted 3 is great effort by one of the best developers around, and all you can read here is people whine and whine and whine.

It looks like the vast majority of the posters around here are forced to play games, or choose to play them not for enjoyment, but just to earn the right to bitch about them.

You're sad guys, i'm really sorry for you, i mean it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Very, very early on (like, chapter 6 or 7 early) and my feelings on this are so far all over the place. Some good, some not so good. Weird.

-Amon- said:

Uncharted 3 is great effort by one of the best developers around, and all you can read here is people whine and whine and whine.

It looks like the vast majority of the posters around here are forced to play games, or choose to play them not for enjoyment, but just to earn the right to bitch about them.

EatChildren Life Protip No.309: People have, shockingly, different opinions about things, especially when it comes to entertainment products. Sometimes people like/dislike things more than others!

EloquentM

aka Mannny
jediyoshi said:

compelling arguments from october 19th that aren't really apparent in the final retail MP anymore? people hardly blind-fire melee in the MP. In fact people were hardly doing it by the end of the subway beta.

Papercuts

bobbytkc said:
ND is doing so because they are awesome and listen to their fanbase. Does not change the fact that the issue is still overblown. Some people were saying the game is unplayable. What a load of crock.

People have different standards when it comes to gameplay, not exactly a shocker. What you deem to be barely noticeable is greatly impacting my personal experience with the game. It's frustrating as hell to see people regurgitate the same "overblown" posts while this is all happening.

jediyoshi said:

Yeah, I've been loving these. He's doing great work here, and the videos are edited well.

EloquentM said:
compelling arguments from october 19th that aren't really apparent in the final retail MP anymore? people hardly blind-fire melee in the MP. In fact people were hardly doing it by the end of the subway beta.

His other videos focus on broken stats and the balancing, both very much in practice in the current game.

Qatar

I've gotten to chapter 8, and I'd have to say that I'm very impressed of what have I seen so far, I enjoy every second of it. So far, the first two chapters are my favorite and I wish that they have gotten longer.

BocoDragon

Phonomezer said:

I believe you absolutely. It's clearly an issue based on threads.

I'm just baffled myself that I haven't even noticed the problem :p

Lightning

Banned
Yeah, when I first encountered those supped up Resin monsters in UC2 and they jumped around like a mother fucker, insanely fast, insanely strong and jumped straight through my gun fire like it wasn't even there and killed me over and over and over and over again in Uncharted 2 was so much fun....

I love Uncharted 2 but seriously....

Pranay

EatChildren said:
Very, very early on (like, chapter 6 or 7 early) and my feelings on this are so far all over the place. Some good, some not so good. Weird.

I had the same feeling

It get better and better, keep playing !

-Amon- said:

Well you know, most of us went out of our way to pay for this product ($89 AUD here), so we have a right to criticise it if there is a reason to.

You just sound like you don't want people to say anything negative about the game in general. Well tough TITS.

jediyoshi

EloquentM said:
Nope, meant to link to the main channel. Also, yes.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
EatChildren said:

EatChildren Life Protip No.309: People have, shockingly, different opinions about things, especially when it comes to entertainment products. Sometimes people like/dislike things more than others!
Lol at your edit.

just keep pushing through. the consensus seems to be that after chapter 10 most people will enjoy the game fully.

Raonak

Banned
Really enjoying the multiplayer. I wouldn't have thought it but i like the "fluff" they injected into the game. lots of unlockable stuff mods and all that.

The game modes really feel fun, where in uncharted 2, playing modes other than elimination started feeling stale after a while.

speaking of which. I WANT U3 ELIMINATION!

hamchan

Flying through the game now, up to chapter 20. I am so happy the second half of the game is mostly shooting. I love the platforming and am indifferent to the easy puzzles but in no way should there be more of that than actual shooting.

I super duper like when they combine platforming and shooting.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Lightning said:
Yeah, when I first encountered those supped up Resin monsters in UC2 and they jumped around like a mother fucker, insanely fast, insanely strong and jumped straight through my gun fire like it wasn't even there and killed me over and over and over and over again in Uncharted 2 was so much fun....

I love Uncharted 2 but seriously....
lol I don't remember that. uncharted 2 enemy encounter and difficulty was soooooo balanced.

Papercuts said:

I'm really starting to get tired of the 'aiming is shit so I'm waiting for a fucking patch to actually play the game' and 'because aiming is shit - I'm downgrading this game before I even play it' that seems to be plaguing this thread.

I can admit that the gunplay felt a bit off in the first 4 chapters, but once I had regular access to guns from chapter 5 onwards, I got used to the aiming and was having no real problems. Turning up the sensitivity for me worked even better and my shot accuracy rose.

No problems whatsoever in my second playthrough with the aiming/shooting, as I left the settings on max sensitivity.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Pranay_ said:
I had the same feeling

It get better and better, keep playing !
EloquentM said:
Lol at your edit.

just keep pushing through. the consensus seems to be that after chapter 10 most people will enjoy the game fully.

Yeah, I will. I'm not not enjoying it, so I will keep playing. I should give the disclaiming that I'm not part of the Uncharted barmy fanboy army, so even though I enjoy the series I'm not all "best game ever made" over them, and generally voice a lot of criticism. But I like the series enough to, you know, buy the games :p.

Still keen to keep playing and chew through more tonight, but yeah. Weird first impressions that are literally all over the place, and for all areas of the game.

Trevelyon

Not to sound like a broken record, but the shooting in this game is really bumming me out. Just doesn't work for me or feel right at all, feels like I'm drawing slow invisible pentagrams over targets instead of deading them with delicious head shots and it's really making me sad.

Up to chapter six and trying to appreciate everything else, but, lik a nat chewing on the back of my neck, this extreme irritation is keeping me from really losing myself in the experience.

I'm a sad panda today, this wasn't how it was meant to be.

Raonak

Banned
ah... thoes resin monsters.....

I was replaying U2 yesterday, and that first resin monster encounter is a major pain. I was breasing through the game until that point, and the deaths felt cheap. nearly every peice of cover has a weak point, the enemies just jump to another position and shoot with you with a couple of arrows and you're dead.

And when you find a good position, one of them decides to jump down and try attack you. frustrating.

basically had to grenade one to death then use it's crossbow to kill the others. the guns are so useless against them.

EDIT: @above - Just don't bother with headshots. serously, 4-6 shots to the body is enough to take a normal soldier down.

hamchan

The enemy AI continuous makes me move and change positions or just run around blindfiring like a madman. They flank you faster than Uncharted 1 dudes.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
hamchan said:
The enemy AI continuous makes me move and change positions or just run around blindfiring like a madman. They flank you faster than Uncharted 1 dudes.
they're intentionally aggressive to keep you on your feet. you're suppose to utilize Drakes agility instead of planting yourself in cover at all times.

Jigsaw

Banned
i don't like the new look of the characters,chloe looks so different :\ she went from hot to ugly which is quite a feat

the diagonal aiming really is off,though it doesn't bother me too much yet (got the 20 headshot trophy halfway through the first shooting level),with highest camera sensitivity it's playable but i won't touch crushing until they patched it

otherwise the game is brilliant,goty material

LowParry

I think I'm nearing the end so I'll probably have it finished by tomorrow. My only real complaint is this aiming issue going on right now. But it's a minor issue due to the fact that the AI has me constantly moving. The pace is well done imo. Maybe the first bit dragged but there's a reason for it. People who think it's a snore to start should get ready to eat crow cause goddamn, the rest of the game has been amazing. I really don't want this to end.

Top Bottom