• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

StuBurns

Banned
hsukardi said:
I'm stuck at a checkpoint
And the burden of good gameplay is really the burden of the game designer, NOT the user
While true, what do you want? They aren't going to redesign that room now. Put it on very easy and turn it back up after.

TheContact

So I received a redeemable code via e-mail for participating in the Uncharted 3 beta. Does anyone want it? I don't know what it does but I'm not going to be playing Uncharted 3 for a little while and doubt I'll every touch the MP. Send me a PM and I'll give you the code as long as you don't already have it; I don't really want to give it to someone who already has one of their own.

jett

D-Member
Kagari said:
You know you can sneak through that area, right?

No you can't. It can be a bit frustrating, probably the place that gave me the most problems in UC3 on crushing. You pretty much had to memorize where enemies come from. But it's not that bad.

People complaining about the difficulty of UC3 would probably have their penises shrivel inside, their balls regress and cry tears of blood if they attempted UC1 on crushing.

hsukardi said:
It's a glorified tech demo.
You're a glorified troll.
Yes, some of the firefights are poorly designed; that doesn't make all the gameplay bad.

frequency said:
I just started playing this last night. Initial impressions are that I'd rather be watching this than playing it. I hope that changes as I become used to the controls. I think I went through the same kind of thing with UC2.

I don't like that Nate takes a few extra steps/finishes his stumbling/turning animation before stopping after I let go of the analog stick.
I'm not very far but it made that one puzzle early on
where you have to stop on the plates in the right order to get to the other end
really annoying.

All the scenarios so far are really cool though. I'd love if this was a mini-series or something.
That puzzle takes about 30 seconds. This thread is nit-picky as hell.

frequency

I just started playing this last night. Initial impressions are that I'd rather be watching this than playing it. I hope that changes as I become used to the controls. I think I went through the same kind of thing with UC2.

I don't like that Nate takes a few extra steps/finishes his stumbling/turning animation before stopping after I let go of the analog stick.
I'm not very far but it made that one puzzle early on
where you have to step on the plates in the right order to get to the other end
really annoying.

All the scenarios so far are really cool though. I'd love if this was a mini-series on TV or something.

Also, my memory kind of sucks but... am I supposed to know who Cutter is from UC2? I don't remember him at all and they haven't given him any background or anything. It's a little weird.

Grisby

Kagari said:
You know you can sneak through that area, right?
I find the stealth in this game to not even be worth it. Drake goes, "We need to be quiet" and five dead bodies later, 1 dude spots me and its the apocalypse.

I hate to be negative but I just finished a actually somewhat nice combat encounter only to have a scripted grenade tossed down some steps to blow me to hell and back to a poor checkpoint.

The game's awesome, but the amount of bugs in the game is surprising, considering how little there was in uncharted 1 & 2. Also, the scripting is broken in some parts.

Best death was some dude who suddenly shot up into the sky and fell 20 seconds later to his death in a battle.

Uncharted 4 on PS4 would be unthinkably good. Especially if Sony continue their trend of signifigantly increasing the hardware power. PSP to PSVita / PS2 to PS3 stylee. Just imagine it as a launch title...

hsukardi

StuBurns said:
While true, what do you want? They aren't going to redesign that room now. Put it on very easy and turn it back up after.

Extreme disappointment. All they had to do was BUILD ON Uncharted 2, that magnificent game. How could you regress? You have to work hard to regress.

StuBurns

Banned
I found the stealth worthless this time around, I loved it UC2. I don't think it's the actual mechanics though, just the encounter design.

hsukardi said:
Extreme disappointment. All they had to do was BUILD ON Uncharted 2, that magnificent game. How could you regress? You have to work hard to regress.
They tried to do that by adding animations that make Drake feel clunkier, being able to throw back nades (which means the enemies throw TONS of them) and an enhanced melee system (which means the AI rushes you). They should have just kept the combat as is; but guess what? Uncharted 1 and 2 had waves of enemies and cheap moments too.

Manp

so yesterday i played a bit of coop and i was on level 4. today i'm back at level 1.
joined a match and after dying i respawned with no crosshair in aiming mode. joined other two games, same shit. had to reboot the game to fix it.

coop is one cheap unfunny frustrating mess. won't touch it ever again.

I'm really not digging Uncharted 3 that much. I really enjoyed Uncharted 2, but Uncharted 3 is kind of a mess in my opinion.

The aiming is clearly a problem, but that's been beaten to death so I'm not going to talk more about that other than it is a large issue that definitely hinders the game.

I find myself putting up with the lackluster combat, and linear traversal to get to the next set piece which typically involved me running towards the camera as something collapses/explodes/chases me/etc.

The gunplay is just not a lot of fun. The AI is incredibly unintelligent, they take way too much damage, and I flat out don't enjoy it. Furthermore, the climbing and traversal looks cool but it is so easily broken by straying off the very linear path prescribed by the game designers.

So far the story has been pretty interesting and the acting has been great, but first and foremost this is a video game about combat and traversal, and neither the combat or traversal are very good.

I am disappoint.

This would make a better TV procedural than a video game.

Imperial Hot said:
I'm really not digging Uncharted 3 that much. I really enjoyed Uncharted 2, but Uncharted 3 is kind of a mess in my opinion.

The aiming is clearly a problem, but that's been beaten to death so I'm not going to talk more about that other than it is a large issue that definitely hinders the game.

I find myself putting up with the lackluster combat, and linear traversal to get to the next set piece which typically involved me running towards the camera as something collapses/explodes/chases me/etc.

The gunplay is just not a lot of fun. The AI is incredibly unintelligent, they take way too much damage, and I flat out don't enjoy it. Furthermore, the climbing and traversal looks cool but it is so easily broken by straying off the very linear path prescribed by the game designers.

So far the story has been pretty interesting and the acting has been great, but first and foremost this is a video game about combat and traversal, and neither the combat or traversal are very good.

I am disappoint.

Um, Uncharted 2 did these things too.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
echothreealpha said:
The game's awesome, but the amount of bugs in the game is surprising, considering how little there was in uncharted 1 & 2. Also, the scripting is broken in some parts.

Best death was some dude who suddenly shot up into the sky and fell 20 seconds later to his death in a battle.
I got a few enemies who took their time finishing some animation, or even stayed idle for a while, before finally deciding to drop dead.

Or one time where I was hanging off a ledge, waiting for some guy to get closer to pull him down, and then he teleported right in front of me and kicked me down.

hsukardi said:
Not true. Some things, like level design or enemy placement, can easily regress.

r.gun

Neo Member
I don't get the complaints about the enemies taking too much damage. If you think so then put it on very easy where they die in 3 shots. If you don't want to play on very easy then man up, play on hard, and aim for headshots.

Even the armored guys go down with 1 headshot with the t-bolt sniper. If you don't have a sniper blind fire an automatic weapon at them until they die. Not very hard.

Beat the game on crushing last night and I honestly have no complaints about the enemy health or AI.

DevelopmentArrested said:
Um, Uncharted 2 did these things too.
I know, but it felt so much tighter then. Maybe I am looking back on it with rose-colored glasses but I enjoyed Uncharted 2 so much more.

Maybe the novelty has finally wore thin for me.

r.gun said:
I don't get the complaints about the enemies taking too much damage. If you think so then put it on very easy where they die in 3 shots. If you don't want to play on very easy then man up, play on hard, and aim for headshots.

Even the armored guys go down with 1 headshot with the t-bolt sniper. If you don't have a sniper blind fire an automatic weapon at them until they die. Not very hard.

Beat the game on crushing last night and I honestly have no complaints about the enemy health or AI.
The enemies take too much damage does not mean the same thing as the game is too hard.

The problem is that unloading a clip into a very confused AI is not fun.

jett

D-Member
StuBurns said:
I found the stealth worthless this time around, I loved it UC2. I don't think it's the actual mechanics though, just the encounter design.

It's definitely not worthless at all. Even if you ring the alarm if you stealth killed most soldiers in a room the reinforcements that are called are usually reduced in numbers. Notably in
Syria
and on the
Airstrip
. And in chapter 20
stealth killing one of the soldiers walking around the desert storm gives you a grenade launcher, making the machine gun-wielding tanking brute that shows up a non-event.

StuBurns said:

Kinda, the AI is more aware of sound now, which makes creeping behind them all the much harder considering that you don't have a 'creep/stealth' toggle.

StuBurns said:
Not even close to as frequently.
How so? You couldn't deviate at all from the platforming in Uncharted 2. And you were on a linear path as much as you are in Uncharted 3. Give me examples; personally I actually found myself exploring the environment in UC3 more - specifically I think the treasures are better hidden.

jett said:
It's definitely not worthless at all. Even if you ring the alarm if you stealth killed most soldiers in a room the reinforcements that are called are usually reduced in numbers. Notably in
Syria
and on the
Airstrip
. And in chapter 20
stealth killing one of the soldiers walking around the desert storm gives you a grenade launcher, making the machine gun-wielding tanking brute that shows up a non-event.
In Chapter 15 (I think), is there anyway to get through that section with stealth?
In the lead-up to the plane, I killed every guy with stealth until I reached the door where 2 guys were standing and I could not stealth them both.

jett

D-Member
echothreealpha said:
Kinda, the AI is more aware of sound now, which makes creeping behind them all the much harder considering that you don't have a 'creep/stealth' toggle.

The only sound they notice is if you drop from a height, they never hear you come from behind.

Uncharted would greatly benefit if it vastly decreased the amount of gunplay, and revamped their traversal elements to allow more fluidity and freedom.

Uncharted is fun when you are venturing into the UNCHARTED, not mowing down bumbling idiots in tuxedos.

StuBurns

Banned
jett said:
Syria
and on the
Airstrip
. And in chapter 20
You only have to kill the one guy with that to get it, he's by the back of the truck on the left.
How so? You couldn't deviate at all from the platforming in Uncharted 2. And you were on a linear path as much as you are in Uncharted 3. Give me examples; personally I actually found myself exploring the environment in UC3 more - specifically I think the treasures are better hidden.
I was actually responding to the 'running towards the camera' thing. Way more of this game felt like barely interactive cutscenes that were terrible to play for me. "Look dude, it's like a cutscene, but we make you hold the left stick right for thirty seconds, neat huh?"

Imperial Hot said:
Uncharted would greatly benefit if it vastly decreased the amount of gunplay, and revamped their traversal elements to allow more fluidity and freedom.

Uncharted is fun when you are venturing into the UNCHARTED, not mowing down bumbling idiots in tuxedos.
I agree with you. Personally I was shocked that there weren't really
any puzzles in the second half of the game

StuBurns said:
I was actually responding to the 'running towards the camera' thing. Way more of this game felt like a barely interactive cutscenes that were terrible to play for me. "Look dude, it's like a cutscene, but we make you hold the left stick right for thirty seconds, neat huh?"
I understand where you're coming from, you aren't just holding back the stick though. There are some platforming/jumping moments in those run at camera sections. Those sections are FAR more interactive than QTE's.

Sullichin

StuBurns said:
You only have to kill the one guy with that to get it, he's by the back of the truck on the left.

I was actually responding to the 'running towards the camera' thing. Way more of this game felt like barely interactive cutscenes that were terrible to play for me. "Look dude, it's like a cutscene, but we make you hold the left stick right for thirty seconds, neat huh?"

I like the chase sequences so far. I've died on a couple of them, so you definitely don't just have to hold the analog stick in a direction for 30 seconds. I don't know why they were so terrible to play for you, I'm finding them to be quite fun.

See lots of complaints that the traversal is too easy and the gunplay is too hard lol.

jett

D-Member
StuBurns said:

Huh, well the guy in the middle that drops the GL if you stealth him regardless. And the guy on the far right stealth-drops a sniper rifle, useful for the next area.

I personally really enjoyed the stealth crap even if it's not any different from UC2, actually I reloaded the last checkpoint many times in many places to see how far I could go just stealth killing everyone. Sadly not every area allows you to clear them entirely like this. In most places eventually you'll encounter two guys looking in the same direction, or a soldier that can't be killed without him noticing you.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
More than the "running towards the camera", what I found excessive was the amount of scenes where your actions were limited, and you were forced to walk slowly.

StuBurns

Banned
I understand where you're coming from, you aren't just holding back the stick though. There are some platforming/jumping moments in those run at camera sections.
Some times, but no, there is literally a scene of you holding right while he slowly stumbles across the screen. But I really disliked pretty much every one of those things, all the chases, all the being chased, all the slow stumbles. All bad I think. But that's what they want, so that's fine, in many ways this is the zenith of the series. They wanted to make an interactive movie, no other game is even close to that by comparison, including UC2.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
jett said:
Sadly not every area allows you to clear them entirely like this. In most places eventually you'll encounter two guys looking in the same direction, or a soldier that can't be killed without him noticing you.
Which is unfortunate. Clearing an entire area with stealth should be difficult, but not impossible.
I still remember fondly, in Uncharted 2, being able to clear the
room with the withered tree that hides a staircase in the Monastery
not only with stealth but by not killing anybody (on Crushing).

wrighty86

Neo Member
Finished this on Normal. Brilliant brilliant game. I still prefer U2 but this game is top notch none the less.

Again, well done ND

neos

i just want to give credit to this man:
Uncharted-2s-Music-Maestro---An-Interview-with-Greg-Edmonson.jpg

The OST of this game is sublime.

hsukardi

Imperial Hot said:
It's just frustrating that solid gameplay has been foregone for high production values.

+1

Switching Uncharted 3 out for Dark Souls.. don't even know if I want to finish this game, or just watch all the scenes on Youtube. I die more often in Dark Souls but for different reasons.

Jocchan said:
More than the "running towards the camera", what I found excessive was the amount of scenes where your actions were limited, and you were forced to walk slowly.
It's weird how much of that is in the game. The only time I remember being forced to walk in Uncharted 2 was in the Tibetan village.

StuBurns

Banned
Crewnh said:
It's weird how much of that is in the game. The only time I remember being forced to walk in Uncharted 2 was in the Tibetan village.
The start of Urban Warfare has a twenty second chase scene towards the camera.

Grisby

neos said:
i just want to give credit to this man:
Greg Edmonson
The OST of this game is sublime.
Agreed. Great music. Crazy how he worked on one of my favorite shows, Firefly, to Uncharted.

Ra1den

Beat it last night. Not a whole lot to say other than HOLY SHIT. Have to give some time for it to settle in my mind before declaring it better than UC2, but it certainly feels that way now.

I did notice something a bit irksome about the story though. It felt like
certain elements would get introduced that seem to be leading to interesting plot points, and would then be never elaborated on. For instance, when that Tarot card is found in Cutter's jacket, I was like "wow ND is going THERE? Awesome...but then we never really see Tarot cards again or get an explanation of how/why they choose to place it on him...in fact we don't really know anything about the villain's powers, do we.

Or when it is "revealed" (unless she way lying) that "Drake" is not Nate's real name...that never goes anywhere, we don't even know if it is true first of all, and there is never further reference to it.

Or the fact that we don't know what lead to the "breakup"(?) of Nate and Elena prior to the game...UC2 had the same problem, actually.

I've got no problem with minimalistic story approaches that leave a lot to the imagination, but it doesn't seem to fit well in this series, at least not in regards to these types of things.

Great plot overall though, loved all the
crazy voodoo stuff
. So mindblowing.

Top Bottom