• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Ra1den

revolverjgw said:
I love that puzzle with the mural where you have to
view it from a perspective so that the body parts line up
. Good shit.

Best puzzle in the game by far. That was just creepy as hell and awesome.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Don't you hate it when you mistake the spoiler thread for this thread, and then it takes three 'Shouldn't that have been spoilered?' posts for it to dawn on you?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Kagari said:

Except for the new Elena model. I have no idea how that was cleared without someone going "Hey guys, this isn't Elena".

But that fucking awesome chase sequence made up for it.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I really hope ND gets a 3 year development cycle for their next game. As great as this game was, another year and it could've been a whole lot better. Sony needs to give them 3 years between projects just like Santa Monica.

I cant imagine what an extra year of polish would do

D2M15 said:
Don't you hate it when you mistake the spoiler thread for this thread, and then it takes three 'Shouldn't that have been spoilered?' posts for it to dawn on you?

Happened to me with Batman, totally blew the cool ending.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It seems nobody answered the following question, which isn't surprising as it was tossed in with my overall impressions and the game has been on shelves for less than a week, so I'll ask again with the auxiliary thoughts excised (don't highlight unless you've played beyond the citadel section [not the identically named chapter] of the game):

JaseC said:

This has been scratching at my brain as it strikes me as a giant plot hole, unless I missed something mentioned in passing.

EatChildren said:
Except for the new Elena model. I have no idea how that was cleared without someone going "Hey guys, this isn't Elena".

But that fucking awesome chase sequence made up for it.

I kid you not, I rebooted my PS3 after seeing Elena as the cutscene was out of sync and so I assumed her character model also didn't load properly.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
One thing the other two games had that UC3 didn't...
was stupid strong supernatural enemies. The zombies in 1 and the creatures in 2 were ridiculous. The flaming head enemies in UC3 don't even come close... and they weren't even real!

jett

D-Member
DarkUSS said:
I liked the ending (still not as much as in U2) but god damn the
final boss "fight" was awful.

It's a scientific fact that UC3's endgame is at least 200 orders of magnitude better than UC2's.

Jarmel

Banned
JaseC said:
It seems nobody answered the following question, which isn't surprising as it was tossed in with my overall impressions and the game has been on shelves for less than a week, so I'll ask again with the auxiliary thoughts excised (don't highlight unless you've played beyond the citadel section [not the identically named chapter] of the game):

This has been scratching at my brain as it strikes me as a giant plot hole, unless I missed something mentioned in passing.

No they didn't. Horrible storytelling on this part.
The only supernatural element in the story and they don't bother to explain it.

JaseC

jett said:
It's a scientific fact that UC3's endgame is at least 200 orders of magnitude better than UC2's.

Mechanically speaking, it's exactly how the "boss fight" of the original should have been handled.

Mikey Jr.

Jarmel said:
They notice bodies. Happened in Syria. Stealth is damn near worthless in the game.

I wouldn't say it's worthless, but it isn't as useful as it should be. I know it sounds stupid, but enemies shouldnt be able to hear sounds from stealthing enemies. So many times I will stealth a guy, then he like makes a grunt or some shit, and the enemies hear that and I'm spotted.

There should also be a return to normal phase for the enemies. So if you can get away from their sights for a minute, they'll assume you've escaped and go back to patrolling.

jett

D-Member
Kagari said:
was stupid strong supernatural enemies. The zombies in 1 and the creatures in 2 were ridiculous. The flaming head enemies in UC3 don't even come close... and they weren't even real!
The "zombies" die from a single shotgun blast! You're supposed to blindfire the things. The purple things from UC2 are worse and by a lot.

Grisby

Charted!

Overall I don't know how I feel about the game. I think 2 was definitely better in almost all areas that mattered for gameplay. I did start to enjoy the story a litte bit more toward the end. While some of the set pieces are mind blowing it still sucks that they reused some of the same scripted events from 2 and some things, like chases, so frequently.

I gotta think on it some more. I was so excited for this and feel a bit let down. At least the MP is giving me heaps of good times. Co-op is great (seems like its missing some sound effects though) and competitive is a lot of fun.

Kagari said:

They were still pretty annoying though. Looked pretty cool, but gave me no end of trouble.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
jett said:
The "zombies" die from a single shotgun blast! You're supposed to blindfire the things. The purple things from UC2 are worse and by a lot.

But they run fucking fast and keep me away from replaying that part of the game!

JaseC

Jarmel said:
No they didn't. Horrible storytelling on this part.
The only supernatural element in the story and they don't bother to explain it.

Ugh, what a huge oversight.
Given Cutter's clear disbelief, I assumed Talbot's survival would explain itself when the mythological element of the game reared its head, but that wasn't the case
. Sony really should have afforded Naughty Dog more development time from the beginning of the project. There are far too many niggling issues across all aspects of the game.

Just hit
the airfield with Elena after the sinking ship
and the game is really starting to pick up. So many amazing moments... I am playing on Hard, so some areas are frustrating but it makes it all the more enjoyable to actually beat it.

Uncharted 2 stills feels more polish and I think looks better at times thanks to the motion blur and the lack of it in Uncharted 3, but there are more "holy shit' moments in Uncharted 3 than in Uncharted 2. Pretty even I'd day in the long run.

Once I finish the game and give it another smoother playthrough, I'll probably start standing it up to Uncharted 2.

For what it's worth, I think Elena's model is great. I think the subtle changes since Uncharted 2 are great. Apprently though, I'm in the minority, haha.

jett

D-Member
Jarmel said:
They notice bodies. Happened in Syria. Stealth is damn near worthless in the game.

It'd be worse if they didn't notice the bodies, it'd just be ridiculous. The section you talk about in Syria can be cleared almost entirely with stealth, you have to kill people at the proper time and place. Eventually two douches from the tunnel and that's it for stealth though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
JaseC said:
I kid you not, I rebooted my PS3 after seeing Elena as the cutscene was out of sync and so I assumed her character model also didn't load properly.

Chloe was also different looking, and written in this weirdly out of character way, like she didn't need to be there at all and they only put her in because of her popularity.

But yeah, Elena's model is so bad. Well, the model is fine, it just doesn't look anything like Elena. Completely different eyes and lips. It's one thing to update and tweak models to show age or new graphical processing, but this looks like Elena went in for few touch ups (which she didn't need, cos she was a babe) and has come out looking weirdly different.

Its screw ups like these that I cannot fathom. That this was proposed, conceptualised, approved, modelled, textured and animated, and at no point nobody made the obvious call that it's not fucking Elena.

jett

D-Member
JaseC said:
Ugh, what a huge oversight.
Given Cutter's clear disbelief, I assumed Talbot's survival would explain itself when the mythological element of the game reared its head, but that wasn't the case
. Sony really should have afforded Naughty Dog more development time from the beginning of the project. There are far too many niggling issues across all aspects of the game.

You can explain
Talbot with a bulletproof vest, he wasn't shot in the head. Truthfully though it seems like they were going for a supernatural element with him that just went nowhere.

Ok so the girlfriend is coming down tonight for a visit and she really wants to see this. Thing is, Im midway through my second playthrough going for trophs and such. If I start a new game and carry over all my treasures etc, will all my weapon stats and everything carry over as well?

Mikey Jr.

JaseC said:

Not an answer, but I wished
that the water had healing abilities. So like it fucked you up mentally for a little while, but it healed you if you were injured. So like when Talbot got shot, he drank some water and healed, and when Sully got shot, he drank some water beforehand, so it healed him while he was dieing. You find out that this water heals you at the end of the game. And at the end of the game, you find out Marlow and Talbot aren't really THAT bad. They want to bring this water to the world but charge a huge amount of money to be able to use it.

Ehhh, just something I was thinking about.

JaseC

EatChildren said:
Chloe was also different looking, and written in this weirdly out of character way, like she didn't need to be there at all and they only put her in because of her popularity.

Agreed. Her inclusion offered nothing of notable significance and it struck me as a half-hearted attempt at fan service.

But yeah, Elena's model is so bad. Well, the model is fine, it just doesn't look anything like Elena. Completely different eyes and lips. It's one thing to update and tweak models to show age or new graphical processing, but this looks like Elena went in for few touch ups (which she didn't need, cos she was a babe) and has come out looking weirdly different.

Its screw ups like these that I cannot fathom. That this was proposed, conceptualised, approved, modelled, textured and animated, and at no point nobody made the obvious call that it's not fucking Elena.

It truly boggles the mind.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
thetrin said:
I still think the encounters in UC2 were better. I don't know why, but despite the heavy reliance on cover, UC3 either doesn't give you enough cover, or enemies rush you from behind, forcing you to stay mobile.

I don't mind that, but enemies seem to spawn behind you with almost ridiculous frequency, making cover near useless near the end of the game. Not that it matters, because the game doesn't give you any useful cover in some situations, and you have to run and gun to get rid of people that can one shot you from behind.

It's a weird change from UC2. I don't remember having to do that a whole lot before.
In Uncharted 1, the enemies had more mobility on Hard and Crushing and were constantly trying to circle you, so you were forced to dispatch them more quickly and to jump out of cover more often instead of being able to stay in the same place throughout the whole shootout. I sort of missed this in UC2, where they stayed a lot more in cover, but this was offset by the much superior arena design (which includes better enemy/weapon placement), shorter waves (IIRC in UC1 you could have 4 waves in the same location!) and bigger variety given by stealth and pulldowns.

In Uncharted 3, the encounters feel like a step back to the first game: the enemies are more mobile (to favor melee), but instead of trying to circle you they seem to be coming frontally right at you, ignoring your bullets. This was exacerbated by the more open ended arena design, certainly meant to give the player even more freedom, and the decision to spawn later waves before the last enemy is dispatched, to make them feel a bit more seamless (even though this had the opposite effect on me, as they were often people spawning from locations they weren't possibly hiding in throughout the fight). Both made the encounters more confusionary, as the designers had no way to predict where the player would be located or which enemies would still be around, thus giving the impression of them just throwing everything and the kitchen sink at the player instead of giving him some carefully crafted challenges to overcome (like in UC2).

LiK

EatChildren said:

Chloe seemed under used and way less sexy. She was kinda just there.

And yea, Elena had some work done or maybe she decided she liked using makeup now. Her face didn't bug me after a while tho. Cute face.

Jarmel

Banned
jett said:
It'd be worse if they didn't notice the bodies, it'd just be ridiculous. The section you talk about in Syria can be cleared almost entirely with stealth, you have to kill people at the proper time and place. Eventually two douches from the tunnel and that's it for stealth though.

Yea I'm pretty sure
Syria
can be done.
The ballroom and the pre-airplane part
sure as hell can't.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm about 2/3rds of the way through the game and I have to say I'm finally getting used to the aiming which is making things way better. Now I can focus all my ire on the abundance of body-armored shock troopers that take dozens of bullets to put down and barely react to being shot. Not my favorite part of UC2 and I don't enjoy it much here either. I'll just need to practice my headshots, I guess.

gigz

Banned
Seriously...

is it me ? or this game is hard ???...

i mean, the amount of grenades that the enemy throw at you, number of heavies in one enemy waves combined with snipers + rpg / grenade launcher + headless chicken that loves to run around while throwing grenade and suddenly appear behind / beside you..

seriously, what happened ?

Anteater

Jarmel said:
Yea I'm pretty sure
Syria
can be done.
The ballroom and the pre-airplane part
sure as hell can't.

Yea I could only take out 1 dude at the
ballroom
and rambo'ed the rest, same as the
pre-airplane part
:(

but I only tried like twice, didn't have the patience lol

Just finished it. Wow, what a ride. Much respect to ND, as usual the detail and artwork that have gone into the game are a joy to behold and the set pieces were extraordinary. Great characters, VA and dialogue which is sadly lacking in a lot of games these days. Not sure what to think in comparison to UC2 now because for all their similarities they seem two very different games in some regards. Still, think they followed the UC2 formula a little bit too much in the second half of the game and the end boss did my head in, again. Besides that, amazing game.

EatChildren

LiK said:
Chloe seemed under used and way less sexy. She was kinda just there.

Claudia Black's performance is really weak too, and I suspect due to the script and/or voice coaching for this role. As yeah, she seemed less sexy, and just...not in character. Like her strong personality traits were severely diminished or removed entirely. I don't expect her to be exactly like how she was in Uncharted 2, and good writing would develop her further anyway, but there's nothing to how her character is presented here that relates to what we know of her. She could be a different face, voice and name and you'd never pick her as Chloe.

Elena, on the other hand, even with the new mug, speaks and acts exactly like Elena would. Same for everyone really.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I love this series so much but WTF did Naughty Dog do with the aiming on the single player?!?!? I've honestly never seen a developer make so many weird decisions (this coupled with the mutiple multiplayer issues) to a formula that was proven to work wonderfully before....

Uncharted 2 is probably the greatest game of this generation so I really don't understand how ND could of gotten all this little stuff wrong this time around. Like the old saying says, if it works than don't fricken try to fix it!

LiK

EatChildren said:
Claudia Black's performance is really weak too, and I suspect due to the script and/or voice coaching for this role. As yeah, she seemed less sexy, and just...not in character. Like her strong personality traits were severely diminished or removed entirely. I don't expect her to be exactly like how she was in Uncharted 2, and good writing would develop her further anyway, but there's nothing to how her character is presented here that relates to what we know of her. She could be a different face, voice and name and you'd never pick her as Chloe.

Elena, on the other hand, even with the new mug, speaks and acts exactly like Elena would. Same for everyone really.

Black got similar complaints for her performance in Gears 3 as well. I wonder if she's not trying as hard with all the projects piling up now, lol

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
gigz said:
Seriously...

is it me ? or this game is hard ???...

i mean, the amount of grenades that the enemy throw at you, number of heavies in one enemy waves combined with snipers + rpg / grenade launcher + headless chicken that loves to run around while throwing grenade and suddenly appear behind / beside you..

seriously, what happened ?
The first half feels very easy, with most enemies using weak weapons and doing very little damage. Then all kinds of enemies show up at the same time, spawning from all directions, and shit gets fucked up.

JaseC

jett said:
You can explain
Talbot with a bulletproof vest, he wasn't shot in the head.

True, but having no character even suggest as much considering the series staple of a mythological/supernatural element is an amateur mistake

Truthfully though it seems like they were going for a supernatural element with him that just went nowhere.

Precisely.

Mikey Jr. said:
Not an answer, but I wished
that the water had healing abilities. So like it fucked you up mentally for a little while, but it healed you if you were injured. So like when Talbot got shot, he drank some water and healed, and when Sully got shot, he drank some water beforehand, so it healed him while he was dieing. You find out that this water heals you at the end of the game. And at the end of the game, you find out Marlow and Talbot aren't really THAT bad. They want to bring this water to the world but charge a huge amount of money to be able to use it.

Ehhh, just something I was thinking about.

That would have been an interesting twist provided the writing leading up to it was cleverly ambiguous and vague, and at the very least it would have sufficiently answered my matter of inquiry.

Kuroudu

Charted @ hard.

Liked the game but I can't say it is better than Uncharted 2, I think it equals to Uncharted 2. Definitively not better, maybe I was expecting much from Uncharted 3 but it didn't have that wow factor I got from playing Uncharted 2, like been there done that.

The shootout I hated the most was during the boat chapter, one guy is almost impossible to kill (walking towards you and shooting twenty seconds without reloading, wtf) and just disappeared when I was running around (a bug?). Also I can't remember which chapters specifically but the shootout will be moved to another wave when you reach a certain point and died. Like the desert shootout, when wave 1 appears and you moved to a certain checkpoint and died (I didn't kill all enemies), you will be moved to wave 2 instead of wave 1 (a bug or a trick, I don't know).

Puzzles were great, I love them.

Graphically it outdoes Uncharted 2, most amazing sand and water I have seen in a video game. What bothers me though are the streaming textures, it doesn't work very well like in Uncharted 2 and what the hell happened to anti-aliasing, it was much cleaner in Uncharted 2. :S

Great story but simple, the way it was done by the actors (mo-cap and face/body expression) helped it a lot. I like their synergy, it really helps the story overall. What I missed the most, too little involvement of
Chloe and Elena
in the game.

Also what the hell happened to this Chloe, I am certain it doesn't look like this when I was playing. Not this much clean although it was a recorded scene. :S

REkRs.png

Jarmel

Banned
JaseC said:
True, but having no character even suggest as much considering the series staple of a mythological/supernatural element is an amateur mistake

Pretty sure you can't actually. Talbot got shot in the head by Cutter and also at the end I'm pretty sure you see the bullets go through Talbot at the end.

jett

D-Member
EatChildren said:

I played some UC2 yesterday, all of Claudia Black's mannerisms and face twitches are gone in UC3. To be honest she wasn't given anything to work with, she's just there.

btw personally I think Elena has never looked better.

EatChildren

Kuroudu said:
Also what the hell happened to this Chloe, I am certain it doesn't look like this when I was playing. Not this much clean although it was a recorded scene. :S

http://i.imgur.com/REkRs.png

To be fair, that's a heavily downsampled direct feed shot from a native 720p CGI sequences, so that particular image at that size would look very clean, whereas blown up on a TV and unscaled to 1080p you're going to notice the lack of clarity a lot easier.

JaseC

Jarmel said:
Pretty sure you can't actually. Talbot got shot in the head by Cutter and also at the end I'm pretty sure you see the bullet go through him

Oh? I thought the shot was to his chest

Grisby

LiK said:
Black got similar complaints for her performance in Gears 3 as well. I wonder if she's not trying as hard with all the projects piling up now, lol
I thought she was better in Gears 3. It sounded like she was having fun. I didn't mind her here and she had one or two funny bits but wasn't in it nearly enough.

jett

D-Member
Jarmel said:
Pretty sure you can't actually. Talbot got shot in the head by Cutter and also at the end I'm pretty sure you see the bullet go through him

No you don't,
there's not even any blood in the scene. It's a body shot

Mikey Jr.

JaseC said:
That would have been an interesting twist provided the writing leading up to it was cleverly ambiguous and vague, and at the very least it would have sufficiently answered my matter of inquiry.

Yeah, you couldn't know about it at the very start. It would be one of those things that when you play again, you go "ohhh, ok, so thats what happened!" kinda deals.

yurinka

Kagari said:
Yes, in Uncharted 3 there is a realistic explanation for them :
Drake was under the psychotropic effects of the water that made him understood that Sulivan was killed.

I think this is an improvement.

jett said:
No you don't,
there's not even any blood in the scene. It's a body shot
At the end of the game, I shotted him several times in the head, and was surprised that unlike other characters who were shooted in the game, he didn't have blood after it.

JaseC

Jarmel said:
Pretty sure that Cutter comments that he shot Talbot in the end. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

As I recall, he simply mentions that
he shot him
. I'm trying to find a YouTube walkthrough of the cutscene at the moment.

IzzyF3

U3 definitely took more risks in terms of what they did with the combat and often enemies take you out of the shooting.

The set pieces are also much more amped up quite a bit, but that seems to trade off the development of other characters besides Sully and Drake. That said, I've never been so emotionally immersed with Drake before this game because of the sense of Drake trudging along. I felt Drake's pain here much more so than his pain at the beginning of U2 where he's trudging along in the snow.

Top Bottom