• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

StuBurns

Banned
-Amon- said:
It's too early for me to start comparing UC3 with UC2. I finished 2 many times on all difficulty while i've yet fo finish 3 on normal...

For sure UC2 and UC3 have very different strong and weak points.
Yeah, they're different, I can certainly see why people would think this is the best of the three, no question. It really depends what you're looking for from the series.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Up to 14. WOW. Gonna make a new thread.
...?

Anteater

Toski said:
I think a lot of this is due to the lack of hitstun on the enemies. I hit an armored dude with the grenade launcher and they didn't flinch. He kept coming at me and shooting that shotgun.

There is also the endless enemy spawn, where do these people come from? Drake kills as many people stand in his way. The airport level has you fighting the whole damn base and no one stops the plane?

I wonder what the combat scenario designer was thinking.

Yea for the first point, I also experienced that, so it was kind of hard to gauge what tier of enemy I'm fighting and how many shots it should take to kill them, especially a direct shot of grenade launcher didn't move them one bit, at first I thought that guy was a robot and I'm suppose to kill it a special way :lol, but I just keep shooting him and he eventually dies.

The enemy spawn I think is about the same as previous games, but I think they were done better in 2, for example in uncharted 2 when you get to the snow area, some of those enemies are already spawned and guarding the area (identical to 3), but when you take out enough of them (through stealth or brute force), the last wave will spawn, but there would be a little cutscene thing that shows where they were coming from, in 3 I think they mostly just spawn somewhere in the map and you wouldn't know, while you might still be fighting that last enemy in the area or picking up ammos.

For some maps that doesn't, it was linear enough so you wouldn't be ambushed from behind or from an angle usually in UC2, while UC3 has a more opened area design so they could be sniping you from an angle or throwing grenades or using rocket launcher/grenade launcher on you.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
StuBurns said:
I played it this morning, I think he moved better then than now actually, but I think that's more of an animation thing than actual controls, I could be wrong though.
I got used to everything right after, but for a minute or two, I had an impression that movements were somehow slower and slightly more sluggish when navigating around (I tried The Dig chapter in UC2 right after playing Chateau chapter btw)

I love the animation in UC3, but motion blur would be nice. Like a rug in Lebowski's home, I feel it would tie everything together. Other than that, I think animation responses are better in UC3. Like when you drop from a height, you have different animations for that, and numerous other such things, so it feels weird when they're missing in UC2. I read that someone said they didn't like how Drake's shoulders looked more liquid when just running normally? But during a normal run loop, uninterrupted by secondary animations, shoulders looked practically identical to me. That kind of relaxed run was in the 2nd game as well.

It's also really funny how much better aiming is in MP in UC3. So smooth and responsive. I really hope there's not some underlying problem with how SP code is being executed that prevents it from implementing MP code for aiming (say if camera/aiming input lag is significantly higher in SP as opposed to MP, due to a longer rendering pipeline)

StuBurns

Banned
Lord Error said:
I got used to everything right after, but for a minute or two, I had an impression that movements were somehow slower and slightly more sluggish when navigating around (I tried The Dig chapter in UC2 right after playing Chateau chapter btw)...

It's also really funny how much better aiming is in MP in UC3. So smooth and responsive. I really hope there's not some underlying problem with how SP code is being executed that prevents it from implementing MP code for aiming (say if input lag is significantly higher in SP as opposed to MP, due to a longer rendering pipeline)
Physical movement might be slower, the thing for me was getting in and out of cover feels quite a bit tighter in 2 to me. I've still not played the UC3 MP, I'll check it out later for sure. While I'd love to see the single player aiming reverted, there's a fair chance I won't play the UC3 campaign again, as long as the coop/mp feels good, that's all that really matters to me. I can't play UC3 for the first time again, so fixing it won't really help me.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
StuBurns said:
Yeah, they're different, I can certainly see why people would think this is the best of the three, no question. It really depends what you're looking for from the series.
Yeah, I'm not even quarter though a game yet, but I can see both sides of that. To me, Ch.2 & 3 were already better than anything equivalent in UC2. But firefights are worse due to aiming. If they can fix that, my evaluation of the game would increase. On the other hand I appreciate that the game encourages you to break out of covers and deal with enemies in other ways. Makes Drake be more like Indy in terms of preference to fistfight/physical combat.

iratA

Just finished the game. (SP anyway)

I'll try to keep this spoiler free and general, so here goes:

I'll preface my opinion with the fact that I've played and loved the entire series, 2 being my favorite prior to now. Going in I really didn't know what to expect, so I came for the spectacle, but but ended up staying for the story.

On Story:
Uncharted 3 delivered in all of the areas where it counts most. The story was better for me, it felt a lot less predictable with plenty of nice 'character moments' where two key characters had some quality exchanges. Drake and Elena, Drake and Sully etc. etc. there were some great little moments that revealed some nice layers to the characters, all without getting too soap. Elena's concern for Sully is just a quick example, but really the game had plenty of those.

On Setpiece/Pacing:
This game had a heartbeat, a real sense of pace and rythmn that just felt a tad off in Uncharted 2. Don't get me wrong Uncharted 2 was paced brilliantly. Its just this time, the whole game felt like it had a better sense of direction and each scene felt more integral to the fabric of the story. Rather than "hey we need to have an epic setpiece about now" kind of feel to it. Infact the setpieces in Uncharted 3 play out more like lengthy levels with gunplay and traversal mixed in much better.

On Graphics:
Now I have seen plenty of games look better than this ugly pile of....
Yeah I'm joking. Seriously, this game wowed me at every turn, ND's lighting model deserves special mention. I mean this game is lit wonderfully! Some of the texture work has also been improved to the point of near photo realism. The use of colours is superb and the amount of geometry combined with draw distance shows how amazingly versatile ND's engine has become. I haven't even begun to touch on things like animations, shaders etc. All anyone needs to know, is this game is looker and a real showpiece for the PS3. WOW!!

On Music/Voice acting:
You know there is going to be something special about a games soundtrack when it gets your blood pumping right from the title screen. The entire soundtrack is pretty special. The voice acting is spot on as always and pretty much the gold standard (as of now) in modern gaming. I've encountered a couple of wierd audio glitches this time around though. Like the sound just droping out for half a second or so. It only happened two or three times in whole game and it was very brief so it didn't take away from the experience too much.

Closing Comments:
For me this game comes closer to achieving the 'cinematic action movie' feel with a little better flow and less cheese than Uncharted 1 or 2. I feel like the formula, or mix of gunplay cinematics, puzzle solving and traversal is far better balanced than Uncharted 2. Perhaps a tad too heavy on the puzzles, but seriously, only just.

Here is game that took me on a real journey, without feeling too pulp, too gamey, or too; "hey look here is a big setpiece". Coming from Uncharted 2, Uncharted 3 can kind of feel a bit slow, especially to begin with, but damn, once it gets its uniquely styled hooks in you, it doesn't let go. Its still not perfect, but I feel this is a great refinement to their formula and a new benchmark for action/adventure games of this ilk. Bravo ND Bravo!

Oh... and what ND will do on the next generation of Sony hardware will melt minds I'm sure. ;)

StuBurns

Banned
Lord Error said:
Yeah, I'm not even quarter though a game yet, but I can see both sides of that. To me, Ch.2 & 3 were already better than anything equivalent in UC2. But firefights are worse due to aiming. I think that if they can fix that, my evaluation of the game would increase. On the other hand I appreciate that the game encourages you to break out of covers and deal with enemies in other ways. Makes Drake be more like Indy in terms of preference to fistfight/physical combat.
Funny, I found it kind of the opposite. I love the new throw back mechanic on grenades, precisely because you aren't forced to leave your cover as frequently.

Mikey Jr.

Haven't beaten the game, but I'm close.

I love it. I fucking LOVE it. I want to marry it and get it pregnant.

In my opinion, it is better than Uncharted 2. Uncharted 2 had the underdog, surprise factor going for it and it blew me away. If both games were released at the exact same time, Uncharted 3 would be the better game.

Seriously ND, you guys have outdone yourselves. I actually got goosebumps on some of the parts because of how badass they felt.

I love the new animation as well. Drake looking around, bending down to breathe, touching the walls. It feels like Drake is alive, and not just some static avatar that you are controlling.
And for me, 90% of the time, the wall touching worked for me.

Great game ND, can't wait to see what you do next.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
i have no idea how they do it exactly, but every time there's a cutscene in this game, I feel literally glued to the screen to see what they're going to do or say next. It's not even just the believable voice acting, other games have that as well, but in 99.9% of other games I find myself wishing the scene would just end because it outstayed its welcome.

Mikey Jr. said:
In my opinion, it is better than Uncharted 2. Uncharted 2 had the underdog, surprise factor going for it and it blew me away. If both games were released at the exact same time, Uncharted 3 would be the better game.
I've played through UC2 a few times, so when you repeat play something it loses its impact every time you play it usually. For me, now when I go back to it, UC2 feels almost quaint in comparison... but I guess that might be in good part because I'm so familiar with everything in it.

jett

D-Member
Kagari said:
Can anyone confirm if the development time for UC2 was the same length as 3?

Well...it has to be. :p Sony/ND should've given themselves some breathing space and get another year of development. The more I think about it the more it looks like I bought an unfinished game.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
jett said:
Well...it has to be. :p Sony/ND should've given themselves some breathing space and get another year of development. The more I think about it the more it looks like I bought an unfinished game.
I'll say, the text ruined by AA algorithm is not something I thought I'd ever see in ND game. Also, a title screen simpler looking than they had before, and a generic company logo title sequence (when in previous two games it was custom tailored for the game). It's a missing perfectionist touch, the kind of thing they are not known for.

But, It's clear they've pushed the envelope, and man-hours, in many other areas that realistically matter more.

Salz01

I just want to know a 4th is coming, and that they are given a 3 year dev time. I'll give them 60 bucks in the mean time for it, and go on with my life till then.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Anteater said:
For some maps that doesn't, it was linear enough so you wouldn't be ambushed from behind or from an angle usually in UC2, while UC3 has a more opened area design so they could be sniping you from an angle or throwing grenades or using rocket launcher/grenade launcher on you.
This happened all the time in the first game. Get past the middle of the arena after killing everyone, and a new wave will spawn behind you for round 2.
This time, the second wave seems to trigger when you're almost done dealing with the first. Again, possibly behind you (depending on where you are).

StuBurns

Banned
I hope they leave it here personally, but if there is a UC4 it's bound to be on PS4, and they should get a little extra time I imagine.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
jett said:
Aside from the aiming issues in SP (which aren't that big of a deal), the removal of motion blur, and some kind of janky animations I really don't see what jumps out as unfinished about this game. Sure, it isn't as absurdly polished as 2 but it's still a fantastically well-made game.

hamchan

Salz01 said:
I just want to know a 4th is coming, and that they are given a 3 year dev time. I'll give them 60 bucks in the mean time for it, and go on with my life till then.
Oh a 4th will come but will it be by Naughty Dog or will they do what they usually do in a new generation and move on to a new IP?

Sorc3r3r

Chap 12.
Amazing game so far.
It's more cinematographic than the 2nd, usually i do not like cut-scenes when they appear so often, but the writing is great, the cast from Nate(best vg character to date) to Sully is very likable, the story involving, the exoteric elements, not so out contest like other games(AC) give a mysterious aura to the whole events.Nice job.
The pace is also more slow and to my surprise it's working to invole me deeper in the story.

I've read of the problem with the gunplay, but for me it's fine, enjoying it a lot.
What I'm not liking it's the melee, i mean it does it's job, can be fun, but after 2 Batmans i was hoping for something more organic, too many times the timing, the animations are off and the whole immedesimation is shattered, one point to improve for sure.

From a tech stand point...a black mage has been involved.
Flawless victory indeed, from animation to textures to light engine.

To sum up right now it's on par with Uncharted 2 for me, loving it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Salz01 said:
The best part is, #4 will pretty much have to be on PS4.

Just finished chapter 8 on my crushing playthrough, was able to stealth my way out of chapter 7 ending and the first couple encounters in 8.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
StuBurns said:
I hope they leave it here personally, but if there is a UC4 it's bound to be on PS4, and they should get a little extra time I imagine.

I want them to do more... but on PS4 definitely. They've already pushed the PS3 to its limits. I can only imagine what they could do on more powerful hardware.

hamchan said:
Oh a 4th will come but will it be by Naughty Dog or will they do what they usually do in a new generation and move on to a new IP?

They've had reasons to drop the previous series. They lost the Crash license and Jak games weren't selling all that well and they were reviewing lower than they probably liked (Jak 3 had a 84% average). Uncharted games sell well and review well. They've also said that they have plenty of stories to tell in the series.

The Chef

Omg chapter 13 is from another level entirely.
The fight with the ship rocking back and forth, waves pushing containers all over the place!? The water in the pool shifting back and fourth.
How does ND do this stuff!?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
StuBurns said:
Funny, I found it kind of the opposite. I love the new throw back mechanic on grenades, precisely because you aren't forced to leave your cover as frequently.
I would appreciate if you were given more and more reasons to leave your cover and stay on the move, instead of just turtling behind the first wall and taking out everyone from there.
The grenade spam at higher levels of difficulty used to achieve exactly this, but in Uncharted 3 I felt like I got way too many kills by throwing back grenades or shooting people about to throw them (causing them to kill themselves with the explosion).

jett said:
Maybe not one year, but at least 6 more months to improve the pacing and polish it well.

StuBurns said:
Yep.

hamchan said:
I doubt this is going to happen this time around.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Sinthetic

The Chef said:
Omg chapter 13 is from another level entirely.
The fight with the ship rocking back and forth, waves pushing containers all over the place!? The water in the pool shifting back and fourth.
How does ND do this stuff!?

So freaking good.

Awww, is Kitty afraid to get wet?

StuBurns

Banned
Kagari said:
I want them to do more... but on PS4 definitely. They've already pushed the PS3 to its limits. I can only imagine what they could do on more powerful hardware.
It's not that I don't want UC4, it's just that I want ND's fouth IP more. Really there's no reason they can't do both, Sony could expand the staff significantly. They're probably going to be losing at least an alternate yearly exclusive from cutting ties with Insomniac, there's room for another team at ND I think.

StuBurns said:

I need to finish the game first and see the ending before I can say if I'm ok with them stopping here or not.

StuBurns said:
It's not that I don't want UC4, it's just that I want ND's fouth IP more. Really there's no reason they can't do both, Sony could expand the staff significantly. They're probably going to be losing at least an alternate yearly exclusive from cutting ties with Insomniac, there's room for another team at ND I think.

ND have said that they want to be a one game at a time studio.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
StuBurns said:
It's questionable if their key creative staff could handle two games like that. I honestly feel that without Henning at the helm, Uncharted games just wouldn't be what they are. Obvious quality of the script and dialogues aside, I'm impressed that six years later, their power to surprise remains as good as ever. When was the last time we saw a game with something like the UC3's transition from Ch.1 to Ch.2?

Man, I didnt know they reused all the DLC maps from the last game. Kind of wish they reused the better maps like Plaza, Sanctuary, Lost City and Village.

I got to say, the Molten Mansion being altered Drake's Fortune map is funny. King of wish there was a volcano level in the series.

StuBurns

Banned
Lord Error said:
It's questionable if their key creative staff could handle two games like that. I honestly feel that without Henning at the helm, Uncharted games just wouldn't be what they are. Obvious quality of the script and dialogues aside, I'm impressed that six years later, their power to surprise remains as good as ever. When was the last time we saw a game with something like the UC3's transition from Ch.1 to Ch.2?
They bizarrely raise a question in this game that they never answer, I would imagine it's a cheap way to link it to the PSV game, and they'll go into it there, but I think you could end the series after any of the three.

Y'know what, I think it would be way more interesting to have enemies also trying to escape danger on those stages where everything is coming down around Drake while still attempting to take him out. It's completely ridiculous that these guys are brainless henchmen to the point that they don't even care that they'll probably die by the building coming down on them cause THEY JUST WANNA GET THEM SOME DRAKE.

Few examples:
The Chateau, the plane, the city falling apart at the end. All of those featured enemies with no regard for their own safety, and it seems like ND just wanted players to PEW PEW AROUND ALL THIS CRUMBLING ENVIRONMENT HURRRR.
Why not show that the soldiers are just as frantic as you are to get out of those areas while also continuing to duke it out on the move? I have a real issue with how enemies are handled in this series now that I think about it. There's got to be a way to show that Drake is a badass without him killing 30+ mindless drones and bullet sponges in every combat scenario.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
StuBurns said:
Since when were they cutting ties with Insomniac?

hsukardi

In the ballroom of the ship and this is just bad design.. REALLY disappointed in Naughty Dog.

Now I'm surprised Uncharted even scored that highly on metacritic. This is a B/C game. Just nice visuals, gameplay is not tight at all.

It's a glorified tech demo.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Ah yes, I just remembered something that irked me a bit in chapter 5.

When he decodes the message and finds that it means "Golden Hind" why does Drake even think that the Hind would be in that room? I see that they had a little banter about it where Sully opposed, but the argument from Drake never went beyond "nah, I think it has to be here". Why would he ever think that (other than the obvious puzzle convenience). Is there an indication that Marlowe was collecting Francis Drake's artifacts so that could reasonably end up being among them?

hsukardi said:
Now I'm surprised Uncharted even scored that highly on metacritic. This is a B/C game. Just nice visuals, gameplay is not tight at all.
Now you're surprised? Not since day or two ago where you kept expressing the same sentiment over and over?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
hsukardi said:
In the ballroom of the ship and this is just bad design.. REALLY disappointed in Naughty Dog.

You know you can sneak through that area, right?

StuBurns

Banned
Kagari said:
Since when were they cutting ties with Insomniac?
Well, cutting ties makes it sound more extreme, but they are seemingly shifting their focus to working for both systems. ND are wholly owned, that can't happen. It makes much more sense to expand them than to fund more projects with Insomniac. NDs games are much better received commercially and critically too. I wouldn't be surprised to see a R&C or two then nothing from them for Sony, we'll see though.

D6AMIA6N

You know what would be so great, is like a young Nate game. Sort of like Young Indy.

That way they could really focus almost entirely on stealth, exploration, platforming, puzzles and avoiding combat. Would be so rad.

Top Bottom