• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Pranay

Kagari said:
You shouldn't give up so easily.

Agreed.

The First 5 chapter some might feel they are playing a movie rather then a game lol

The Game gets really gets better from France and keep on getting better and better.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
jett said:
It's definitely not worthless at all. Even if you ring the alarm if you stealth killed most soldiers in a room the reinforcements that are called are usually reduced in numbers. Notably in
Syria
and on the
Airstrip
. And in chapter 20
stealth killing one of the soldiers walking around the desert storm gives you a grenade launcher, making the machine gun-wielding tanking brute that shows up a non-event.
Shit, seriously? I'm right at that part. Which soldier?

CcrooK said:
Fantastic game. 9/10 for sure. Possibly my GOTY. Still have Batman to tackle at some point.
I still think Batman is significantly better, but that's just me. Also, I love Batman.

Sky Chief

I've got to say, at first the aiming really frustrated me but now I am adapting and the game is really blowing me away.

All of the little details are just so amazing.

The melee is brilliant, super fun to play and even with the cinematic camera angles you never get disoriented. I love using the environment or pulling the pin on a guys grenade and then pushing him into a group of enemies, f-ing awesome! I also knocked out a guy carrying a pistol while I was unarmed and when I did the gun flew up in the air. I instinctively hit triangle and Drake caught the pistol midair and I started shooting the next guy down the hallway. Really awesome little touch there!

Just all the little details are so perfect! Probably the thing that sticks with me the most is walking through a narrow cavern and Drake turned his face to the camera and grimaced, I don't know why but this just really struck me. Really, really cool game!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
There we go! Game on monday and 100% refund. That'll teach those incompetent fools not to fuck with Yoshi.

PowderedToast

this game is pretty buggy. my brother just watched me play 20 minutes and we saw a lot of janky shit go down. it crashed and froze aswell, for the second time.

jett

D-Member
Kagari said:
Can someone explain the ring thing to me at the end? I don't remember them exchanging them in 2...

They're weddings bands. They got married between UC2 and UC3.
Did I just blow yo mind?

spats

I bought the game today despite the controller lag shit everybody has been complaining about. Hopefully it won't bother me too much.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
StuBurns said:
The start of Urban Warfare has a twenty second chase scene towards the camera.
He's talking about the forced walking.

StuBurns said:
Did Drake and Elena date between UC1 and 2? I only remember a joke about being 'last year's model'.
It's hinted at heavily.

Kagari said:
Can someone explain the ring thing to me at the end? I don't remember them exchanging them in 2...
Ending spoilers here.
They seemingly got married after 2. Then broke up because of Nate still being "married" to adventure (hence Elena's comment about him still wearing his ring and pointing at Francis Drake's one, and the ending with Nate replacing it with the wedding ring).

EDIT:
spats said:
I bought the game today despite the controller lag shit everybody has been complaining about. Hopefully it won't bother me too much.
It's annoying, but the game is more than worth playing anyway.
Hopefully it will be patched soon (holding out my Crushing run for this).

spats said:
I think most will get used to it eventually, by chapter 7 the aiming felt like second nature to me.

(._.)

Banned
I was watching a b it of a play through of this game and I really want to play it. May need to give it a rent just for the story mode.

Anteater

Jocchan said:
This happened all the time in the first game. Get past the middle of the arena after killing everyone, and a new wave will spawn behind you for round 2.
This time, the second wave seems to trigger when you're almost done dealing with the first. Again, possibly behind you (depending on where you are).

Yea UC2 seems to have improved on that, also some AIs in UC3 seems to have similar god like detection as UC1 where they know where you are behind walls, I think those
tanks or whatever they were with the gatling guns were like that in the sandstorm, even when you're miles away and running behind walls, they'd just spam the shots and follows you, lol
, I think UC3 kind of brought back some of the design I didn't like from UC1.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
spats said:
I hope you really enjoy it. There are parts that frustrate me, but the game is still stunning and quite a bit of fun.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Contrary to some people here I really like the first chapters. But I'm now at the end of chapter 8 and the last ones disappointed me. Hope it takes off after that as I can really see what some reviewers complained about. It's not that I don't enjoy it, but there's a clear sense of deja vu.

thetrin

Anteater said:
Yea UC2 seems to have improved on that, also some AIs in UC3 seems to have similar god like detection as UC1 where they know where you are behind walls, I think those
tanks or whatever they were with the gatling guns were like that in the sandstorm, even when you're miles away and running behind walls, they'd just spam the shots and follows you, lol
, I think UC3 kind of brought back some of the design I didn't like from UC1.
You hit the nail on the head. UC3 brings back things I hated about UC1. I wish I could have articulated better when I was talking about it earlier.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
CozMick said:
The multiplayer really is sublime in this game.

It's the beta times 2 and U2 times 3000.

Love it
It's better than the second beta? Hmm. Some people in the GAF chatroom hate it though. I haven't checked it out yet.

CozMick

Banned
Meisadragon said:
It's better than the second beta? Hmm. Some people in the GAF chatroom hate it though. I haven't checked it out yet.

That's to be expected, certain members, from past history hate every single game that's critically praised.

The retail multiplayer is supremely polished.

OK, I'm going through Uncharted 2 just to make sure I'm not crazy in saying that the combat in U3 is annoying, and it's immediately apparent when I loaded up Chapter 4: The Dig that the enemy hit reactions are way better in U2. You can actually use the pistol to great effect because guys flinch, and show effects of getting hit almost immediately. The diagonal aiming also feel WAY more smooth than U3. I need to get to the most hectic shootouts to really confirm what I feel about U3 though.

IMBored

Finally got the game yesterday, reached the france
spiders
part, the game is really great so far. Despite the aiming difference/bug and the way enemies now flank me like a they want to make Drake sandwich, the settings, story and overall gameplay is awesome.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
marc^o^ said:
It's not that I don't enjoy it, but there's a clear sense of deja vu.
I think this is actually intentional. The game lives up to its subtitle by playing with your expectations and then deceiving you.

Kagari said:
Thanks for clearing that up guys. I really liked the ending.
I really liked how several plot points were kept a bit subtle, instead of being smashed in your face.

thetrin said:
You hit the nail on the head. UC3 brings back things I hated about UC1. I wish I could have articulated better when I was talking about it earlier.
It's especially noticeable in the first half of the game. The second half seems closer to UC2 instead.

thetrin

StuBurns said:
The music when you get the
house in France
blew me away.
Now I really regret having my volume so low all the time. I have to, though, because I'm trying not to spoil my roommate who is about to start playing the game, and our TVs are both in the same room. :\

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Kagari said:
Thanks for clearing that up guys. I really liked the ending.

As soon as Sully suggested that he had a different ride, I blurted out that it'd be the seaplane from the original. I was half right. :p

thetrin

Jocchan said:
I think this is actually intentional. The game lives up to its subtitle by playing with your expectations and then deceiving you.

I really liked how several plot points were kept a bit subtle, instead of being smashed in your face.

It's especially noticeable in the first half of the game. The second half seems closer to UC2 instead.

I still think the encounters in UC2 were better. I don't know why, but despite the heavy reliance on cover, UC3 either doesn't give you enough cover, or enemies rush you from behind, forcing you to stay mobile.

I don't mind that, but enemies seem to spawn behind you with almost ridiculous frequency, making cover near useless near the end of the game. Not that it matters, because the game doesn't give you any useful cover in some situations, and you have to run and gun to get rid of people that can one shot you from behind.

It's a weird change from UC2. I don't remember having to do that a whole lot before.

revolverjgw said:
I love that puzzle with the mural where you have to
view it from a perspective so that the body parts line up
. Good shit.
My favorite puzzle in the whole game. Considering how inventive it was, I kind of wished there had been more puzzles in the game. I'm in Chapter 19, and I haven't encountered a puzzle in a LONG time.

thetrin

I think being able to start an encounter with stealth is great, but I wish soldiers had a caution phase. The minute someone notices me, even if I punch him out quietly, everyone knows I'm there suddenly.

I realize it's meant to be a compromise considering enemies won't notice bodies (iirc), but it's a bit jarring coming from DXHR and Metal Gear, and having all hell break loose the second one person says "what was that?"

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's like the developers flipped the "stop being lame and start being fun" switch at Chapter 10. Every single little thing about the game at this point is significantly better than everything played so far (except a few highs).

Just finished it. While Uncharted 2 was amazing, this one was just epic in terms of set pieces and locations. I liked the more serious and personal direction of the story too. Now if only ND can fix the annoyance with the aiming, it would be perfect. Took me 2/3 of the game to get used to it.

StuBurns

Banned
There is a caution mode. If they hear a small sound, they'll very Metal Gearishly walk slowly towards it. It can be quite useful in separating them.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
EatChildren said:
It's like the developers flipped the "stop being lame and start being fun" switch at Chapter 10. Every single little thing about the game at this point is significantly better than everything played so far (except a few highs).

Told you :D

Jarmel

Banned
thetrin said:
I think being able to start an encounter with stealth is great, but I wish soldiers had a caution phase. The minute someone notices me, even if I punch him out quietly, everyone knows I'm there suddenly.

I realize it's meant to be a compromise considering enemies won't notice bodies (iirc), but it's a bit jarring coming from DXHR and Metal Gear, and having all hell break loose the second one person says "what was that?"

They notice bodies. Happened in Syria. Stealth is damn near worthless in the game.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
DarkUSS said:
I liked the ending (still not as much as in U2) but god damn the final boss "fight" was awful.

Wasn't much of a fight but I think I liked it more than UC2's end boss, which frustrated me to no end.

Top Bottom