• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

branny

LightOfTruth said:
Yeah. And like Robo says melee for me was different all the time.
Does that really make it any better, though? Why try to rationalize?

Darknessbear said:
Can we have a positive U3 thread, so I can actually talk about the game...?
Why must it be positive in order to talk about it? I'm glad others are bringing their criticisms to light. This a discussion. I still stand by how I felt when I finished the campaign. It's great that people are enjoying themselves, but many who are voicing complaints are practically echoing one another on the exact same issues. It bothers me that people are so willing to give neglect questionable content in the face of nearly immaculate presentation.

For example, it's stuff like this that makes me upset, not calling upJTboogie out or anything:

upJTboogie said:
Using O during melee combat really spruces it up, tossing them into objects then attacking has great results.
I have no clue if this is referring to the combat in general or the brawling sections. In a brawling section, it's okay, because a section like that is practically an interactive cutscene. Getting excited over gimmicks like slapping someone with a fish is totally fine, though if it happened every time it would get old. That is why it's a gimmick. Nevertheless, grabbing here is encouraged.

But...the comment is problematic if it applies to actual firefights. Great results at the expense of what? Making rolling more ineffective when enemies are near you? When foes are near a ledge, using the regular melee attack button pushes them off as a context-sensitive shove. If all encounters where a grab/shove button would prove useful (supposedly as in your example if it applies to firefights) could simply be handled in line with how pushing them off ledges works, what would that mean? It'd mean that the grab button is a superfluous addition. This is a videogame. Everything must have a purpose whether it be some added risk/reward for scoring, survival, strategy, or otherwise. If it is useless or next to useless, it is something that should not exist, especially when it could potentially conflict with another fundamental mechanic.

KingK said:
2 and 3 are pretty close in quality. A lot of people prefer 2 because of how improved it was over 1, but I prefer 3 just a little bit. Regardless, if you liked Uncharted 3, you should definitely pick up the Uncharted dual pack that has both games for like $35 on Amazon. Well worth it.
Yea, I can't really decide.
I prefer the ending to 3 a lot more, it was perfect - and they even reduce the mystical elements
. But I think U2's pacing was a lot better and had a much clearer vision. But the set pieces in 3 are a lot more diverse and intense. I dunno, I think this series is great. And I'd like to see it either stop here or make a few more - I think doing one more would be overkill over a trilogy, but making a few more would make it a cool story series.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Darknessbear said:
. But I think U2's pacing was a lot better and had a much clearer vision.

completely disagree with this. It was improved greatly in UC3.

Sean

Banned
KingK said:
The AI seemed pretty aggressive to me. Much more so than Uncharted 2. I'd have guys sneaking up beside me all the time. Of course, you always have a couple guys who are stupid and just run right up to you, but most of them have been trying to flank me while others shoot at me long distance and try to flush me out with grenades. It really forces you to move around the level a lot more, which is something I missed in Uncharted 2, where you could pretty much just stay behind a few pieces of cover for the majority of a gun fight.

But this is precisely the problem with the combat scenarios in UC3, there are often too few areas to run around and take cover.

Take chapter 14
ballroom/piano
room for example. You've got three snipers and a grenade launcher guy up on the balcony, along with probably half a dozen guys on the ground floor rushing you. Some are throwing grenades, you've got a heavy armored guy coming at you with a one-hit-kill shotgun, etc. But you can barely move around as the center of the room is the only part with decent cover. It just boils down to taking them out as fast as possible (kill the launcher guy up top before he explodes you or knocks you out of cover, kill the ground-floor people before you catch a shotgun to the face. It's hard to focus on doing both at the same time). That isn't fun at all IMO.

I went back to try Uncharted 2 on Chapter 6/Nepal (since that starts off with a combat section) and it's a night and day difference. Aside from the enemies going down faster and the aiming being better, the scenarios were just better designed. It's a wide open space with a lot of cover areas (sandbags, cars, potted plants/pillars and stuff), they give you a ton of different weapons to pick from, there's propane tanks all over, wrecked cars that you can cause to explode, etc. Just a lot more freedom on how to approach fights.

I just
got out of the burning chateau
(just got the game today). I'm really enjoying it. It is "more of the same", which I find to be the most patently absurd complaint about just about anything good that it could apply to (this band sucks, they sound just like the Beatles!). Yeah, I'd have a lot better go of making head shots if the aiming wasn't wonky, but it's sufficient... you know... for a non-keyboard & mouse game.

That's another thing I love about this... for the last several years, I've been a full-fledged, due-paying member of the PC Gaming Master Race. I have to give Naughty Dog a LOT of credit for what they've done with the visuals of this game. Sure, it's no Witcher 2, but few things are. Really impressed with the graphics.

StuBurns

Banned
I think UC2 is paced much better, but I disagree that's a product of a 'better' vision for the game. UC3 is much closer to the interactive movie they're been striving for. I think it's very much what they intended.

Just finished the game and I have one very important question.

Why the heck is shoulder swapping disabled by default?! I played the whole game thinking they took it out. I always go through menus before I start a game too, don't know how I missed that.

Here's the not so important question. Was sprinting from the Beta removed? Or is it just not in the campaign?

Just popping in to say that (character spoiler? Anyone past Chapter 10 can highlight this)
Elena
looks completely screwed up in this game. Dunno what went wrong.

Like I just said, I'm only on Chapter 10, but so far it's been pretty ho-hum. I never had an issue with the combat in Uncharted 1 or 2, but it's ridiculous how many henchmen the bad guy has at her disposal in this game. Fighting what amounts to be an army made sense in Uncharted 2 since the enemies were mercenaries, but in Uncharted 3 it's just silly.

subversus said:
completely disagree with this. It was improved greatly in UC3.
I was just trying to be negative so I'd fit in...

But, yea I still think U2 had a lot better peaks and valleys. But I think U3 compared to every other games pacing (in this genre) beats it by miles. Just playing Enslaved (similar style of game) to this, is insanely ridiculous - there is no peaks and valleys in that, just one note. Its amazing they can replicate that shit in an interactive medium and still have gameplay.

Barrow Roll said:
Just finished the game and I have one very important question.

Why the heck is shoulder swapping disabled by default?! I played the whole game thinking they took it out. I always go through menus before I start a game too, don't know how I missed that.

Here's the not so important question. Was sprinting from the Beta removed? Or is it just not in the campaign?
It's not in the campaign.

jett

D-Member
BTW yesterday I replayed the first half or so of this for the third time(had a friend over and he wanted to check it out), and I've noticed the main difference in terms of presentation and pacing between UC2 and UC3. Uncharted 1 and Uncharted 2 played their cut-scenes pretty much exclusively as bookends for each chapter. You reached a new chapter, you got a cut-scene along with it. FMVs rarely play while a chapter is "in progress", with few exceptions. In Uncharted 3 cut-scenes play all the time, especially in the first half of the game. I guess it works for the story they wanted to tell, but I imagine it's one of the reasons people don't like the first half of the game and why Uncharted 2 is perceived as having better pacing. UC2 definitely is more of a "gamey game" and Uncharted 3 something that's trying really hard to be cinematic.

Jack Scofield said:
Just popping in to say that (character spoiler? Anyone past Chapter 10 can highlight this)
Elena
looks completely screwed up in this game. Dunno what went wrong.

Like I just said, I'm only on Chapter 10, but so far it's been pretty ho-hum. I never had an issue with the combat in Uncharted 1 or 2, but it's ridiculous how many henchmen the bad guy has at her disposal in this game. Fighting what amounts to be an army made sense in Uncharted 2 since the enemies were mercenaries, but in Uncharted 3 it's just silly.

I think they do address that. I'm not sure if they do by Chapter 10 though, so highlight at your own risk.

I believe it's stated that the bad guys are actually part of an ancient secret society. Not just a treasure hunter and her band of henchmen.

Gambit

So, finally charted UC3.

All in all, I enjoyed it, but with some caveats. They can basically be summarised as “Uncharted 2 is better”. I did like the game and it definitely improved as it progressed, but it did not hit the same high notes as UC2. I would rate it the same as UC1 (at the time, not if one played it today for the first time). It never felt as if I was deciding what to do, instead it felt as if I was trying to find out what I am supposed to do next. “Where is my next trigger-point?”

Oh yes, before I forget: I love the increased focus on Drake-Sully, as I’ve always found Sully a great character. Would definitely buy a Sully prequel.

Here goes my list of grievances:

+ new Elena-model is awful, but at least she behaves like Elena

+ I like the new Chloe model, but she is wasted in this game and strangely different from before

+ the jumping is irritatingly inconsistent. When Drake is jumping while running around, you get a certain feel for the distance he can jump. This sense of distance is, however, absolutely worthless. At times, you jump about twice, three times as far, because the scenery demands it.

+ stealth in this game is awful. As has been said before, if one guy sees you for a second before you dispatch him, all others immediately know where you are.

+ I feel some checkpoints are not chosen wisely. I am dropped in the middle of a battlefield, where I’ve already been spotted. Even if I just fell down somewhere - BEFORE I was spotted.

+ Sometimes my weapons are dropped seemingly at random when cutscenes take place. Did not like that one bit.

+ there is always one enemy wave too many. Less would indeed be more.

+ the game is too restrictive. With UC2 Naughty Dog hit the (imo) perfect balance between gameplay and the cinematic experience. This time the cinematic moments dictate the gameplay.

+ In many chase sequences, I had no idea where to go. There were two paths open to me and for no discernible reason, one lead to my immediate death, the other to another trial & error passage. That is not good game design.

The rest I shall spoiler:

Unfortunately, the game starts very slowly. Around chapter 10, it seemed to improve, but then the awful ship-graveyard chapter happened and dragged it back down. It really only reached the heights of UC2 once I hit the desert (and even then the shoot-outs had just too many damn enemies). I really would have wished for twice as many chapters in and around Iram.

All right, this makes the game sound very poor, and, yes, these problems did annoy me greatly. However, I just want to be clear that I still liked UC3 a lot and would, no doubt, buy the next game day one again (or if Germany releases it early once more day - 4).
It just so happens that the immediate predecessor did so many things more elegantly and didn’t make one quite as aware of the strings on which the player is being pulled.

PS: If I play multiplayer, it will be Co-op and I will be deeply in "Team Sully".

Oh one more thing: Very disappointed by Marlowe. I expected more, as I might have a slight Helen-Mirren-crush. Turns out, in this game the old person I liked best was good old Sully. Maybe I have yet to realise I have the hots for him instead. In any case, I must be developing a grey-dar.

rhino4evr said:
The amount of whining and bitching in this thread is ridiculous for such a great game. Me thinks a lot of Gaf was a little overhyped for this one. Most of you are taking minor complaints and blowing them into game ruining travesties. The game plays just like an Uncharted game does, I dont know what else you all were looking for when you hit the start button.
This. I have never seen a game held to standards of this level. The only game in this genre that rivals U3 is U2. They are peerless in this genre. I honestly had just as many "HOLY SHIT" moments in this game as I did in U2. Actually I probably had more! I guess ND are truly victims of there own crazy success.

I guess they should put out a game every 5 years like Zelda, or Elder Scrolls, just so people go nuts when the game finally comes out. (by the way, I will go nuts when Skyrim comes out).

Anteater

jett said:
BTW yesterday I replayed the first half or so of this for the third time(had a friend over and he wanted to check it out), and I've noticed the main difference in terms of presentation and pacing between UC2 and UC3. Uncharted 1 and Uncharted 2 played their cut-scenes pretty much exclusively as bookends for each chapter. You reached a new chapter, you got a cut-scene along with it. FMVs rarely play while a chapter is "in progress", with few exceptions. In Uncharted 3 cut-scenes play all the time, especially in the first half of the game. I guess it works for the story they wanted to tell, but I imagine it's one of the reasons people don't like the first half of the game and why Uncharted 2 is perceived as having better pacing. UC2 definitely is more of a "gamey game" and Uncharted 3 something that's trying really hard to be cinematic.

Another reason is the first half was full of fist fights and chase sequences, and also walking around areas. In UC2, the game is composed of platforming > puzzle > gunplay > platforming+gunplay and nothing more, UC3 added in a few more elements.

StuBurns

Banned
cjtiger300 said:
This. I have never seen a game held to standards of this level. The only game in this genre that rivals U3 is U2. They are peerless in this genre. I honestly had just as many "HOLY SHIT" moments in this game as I did in U2. Actually I probably had more! I guess ND are truly victims of there own crazy success.

I guess they should put out a game every 5 years like Zelda, or Elder Scrolls, just so people go nuts when the game finally comes out. (by the way, I will go nuts when Skyrim comes out).
Skyrim looks like a pretty impressive leap for the series. Lots of people shat all over TP, especially on GAF.

jett said:
I would say that it is a slow burn, kinda akin to Heavy Rain. They are really trying to concentrate on the characters and there relationships. That being said, the second half is crazy action packed like no other game I have ever played.

PS. Heavy Rain still starts much slower and is a completely different type of game (although I did love HR).

branny said:
For example, it's stuff like this that makes me upset, not calling upJTboogie out or anything:

I have no clue if this is referring to the combat in general or the brawling sections. In a brawling section, it's okay, because a section like that is practically an interactive cutscene. Getting excited over gimmicks like slapping someone with a fish is totally fine, though if it happened every time it would get old. That is why it's a gimmick. Nevertheless, grabbing here is encouraged.

But...the comment is problematic if it applies to actual firefights. Great results at the expense of what? Making rolling more ineffective when enemies are near you? When foes are near a ledge, using the regular melee attack button pushes them off as a context-sensitive shove. If all encounters where a grab/shove button would prove useful (supposedly as in your example if it applies to firefights) could simply be handled in line with how pushing them off ledges works, what would that mean? It'd mean that the grab button is a superfluous addition. This is a videogame. Everything must have a purpose whether it be some added risk/reward for scoring, survival, strategy, or otherwise. If it is useless or next to useless, it is something that should not exist, especially when it could potentially conflict with another fundamental mechanic.
Just the brawling sections and steel fisting the last couple armed enemies, I don't try combat in firefights. And gimmick or not, it's fun.

jett

D-Member
upJTboogie said:
Just the brawling sections and steel fisting the last couple armed enemies, I don't try combat in firefights. And gimmick or not, it's fun.

I agree, I've grown to really enjoy the combat in this game, as simplistic as it is. It has a nice "punch" to it, and on crushing you don't get input prompts, which is a plus. I wish ND had though more of gamers and had disabled them in all difficulties. :p It's pretty OBVIOUS when to press triangle or when to press circle.

Just finished my first play through of UC3, took 9 hours 36 mins on Hard, collecting 61 treasures on the way.

Not as good as UC2 imo, but then I don't think anything is, UC3 had a better end/boss but UC1 still has the best for me, UC3 is an amazing game loved it.
Got frustrated with a few encounters that I'm not going to enjoy on crushing.

Gambit

BlindMonkey said:
Just finished my first play through of UC3, took 9 hours 36 mins on Hard, collecting 61 treasures on the way.

Not as good as UC2 imo, but then I don't think anything is, UC3 had a better end/boss but UC1 still has the best for me, UC3 is an amazing game loved it.
Got frustrated with a few encounters that I'm not going to enjoy on crushing.

I completely agree with this. The boss in 3 was a step in the right direction again.

StuBurns said:
Skyrim looks like a pretty impressive leap for the series. Lots of people shat all over TP, especially on GAF.
Agreed, it is a huge leap in some areas, but imagine if Uncharted 2 came out 5 years after Uncharted. Is Skyrim leap any higher than Uncharted to Uncharted 2 or even 3? Hell, Uncharted to Uncharted 3 is a four year gap. I know most will point out that ES 4 and ES 5 are open world games.

Honestly I am comparing apples to oranges, but the point is the same. Keep them waiting, keeps them wanting. Skyrim will not be judged as harshly as Uncharted 3. Just wait till Half Life 3 comes out. I bet that game will be able to do no wrong, lol.

cjtiger300 said:

Yea really. It's like this game is reviewed on another level to the rest of games. Nothing else in its genre comes close, so reviewers have a hard time reviewing it. So, the only thing they have to base their reviews off of, is comparing it to U2. And it is very comparable in quality - which you prefer is a preference, but once you start reviewing the game you also have to look around you. Ok you think its a 8/10 in the Uncharted series... but compared to what? Did you think Tomb Raider was a better adventure experience? OR enslaved was more cinematic? Or do you just not like this genre?

Then you got to think, should you review a genre you have no care about? Should a person that does not like horror films review horror movies? And if so, for what reason!? This game really brings to light how shallow the game media industry is. And hopefully we can evolve from this mess next generation. (And by evolve, I mean get rid of or don't put so much emphasis in review scores)

jett said:
I agree, I've grown to really enjoy the combat in this game, as simplistic as it is. It has a nice "punch" to it, and on crushing you don't get input prompts, which is a plus. I wish ND had though more of gamers and had disabled them in all difficulties. :p It's pretty OBVIOUS when to press triangle or when to press circle.
I enjoy the combat too. The guns and scenarios you're thrown into make for a unique experience. I can't wait to play though the campaign again once the motion blur and aiming patch hit.

Darknessbear said:
Yea really. It's like this game is reviewed on another level to the rest of games. Nothing else in its genre comes close, so reviewers have a hard time reviewing it. So, the only thing they have to base their reviews off of, is comparing it to U2. And it is very comparable in quality - which you prefer is a preference, but once you start reviewing the game you also have to look around you. Ok you think its a 8/10 in the Uncharted series... but compared to what? Did you think Tomb Raider was a better adventure experience? OR enslaved was more cinematic? Or do you just not like this genre?

Then you got to think, should you review a genre you have no care about? Should a person that does not like horror films review horror movies? And if so, for what reason!? This game really brings to light how shallow the game media industry is. And hopefully we can evolve from this mess next generation. (And by evolve, I mean get rid of or don't put so much emphasis in review scores)
Yeah, and I honestly think you will see ND go to a three year development cycle after all the complaints of it coming out too soon (I'm looking at you Sesler). It will also help with the crunch, but something tells me that ND loves to be challenged by there own crazy dev cycle.

BruiserBear said:
I enjoy the combat too. The guns and scenarios you're thrown into make for a unique experience. I can't wait to play though the campaign again once the motion blur and aiming patch hit.
Been too busy playing... is this official? Did Arne confirm it here or was there a link? I'm excited.

cajunator

Banned
StuBurns said:
That was my opinion in the end.
What is so impressive about that part? I mean it was fun but not really amazing.
If you stand there watching the effects,
you can see that the fire doesn't actually advance past the cutscene.

neoism

ScOULaris said:
What's funny is that nobody who has expressed disappointment with the game is attacking those who are loving it. It's only the people who are over the moon for Uncharted 3 that dismiss others' complaints as cynical bitching. It's almost like their sense of good taste is threatened because they can't find fault with something that others do.
so true..lolol

StuBurns

Banned
cjtiger300 said:
Agreed, it is a huge leap in some areas, but imagine if Uncharted 2 came out 5 years after Uncharted. Is Skyrim leap any higher than Uncharted to Uncharted 2 or even 3? Hell, Uncharted to Uncharted 3 is a four year gap. I know most will point out that ES 4 and ES 5 are open world games.

Honestly I am comparing apples to oranges, but the point is the same. Keep them waiting, keeps them wanting. Skyrim will not be judged as harshly as Uncharted 3. Just wait till Half Life 3 comes out. I bet that game will be able to do no wrong, lol.
You're just talking about hype though, the hype for UC3 was pretty significant on here. No one was complaining about crap aiming or no motion blur because they didn't know about them. If Skyrim sucks it won't get a free pass because it's been a while, the OT will be heavily critical.

It's hard for ND to improve on UC2 because it was incredible, and good, it should be hard to make something incredible. As a total package, no one had made a better third person shooter than UC2. That's an achievement, and one that should be earned.

People have been critical of the game in respect to UC2, but people were critical of UC1 too. People didn't like the aim there, or the barely considered kill rooms they threw in at various points, or the screen tear, or the zombie freak twist etc. There wasn't an UC0 to gauge progression from, it was fresh criticism. The UC1 aiming was unfortunate, but it was their first try, the UC3 aiming is embarrassing because they've already done it much better. I think people are right to be more critical considering that.
cajunator said:
What is so impressive about that part? I mean it was fun but not really amazing.
If you stand there watching the effects,
you can see that the fire doesn't actually advance past the cutscene.
I'm not sure, I just really loved it.
Starting in a jungle again was great, the banter between the two guys was really nice. Approaching the house gave me that sense of exploration I want from the series. I like that there are a few puzzles in there, there's some platforming, there's some shooting.
It's like a vertical slice of what the series is to me, or should be.

Grisby

Darknessbear said:
I would compare it to other third-person shooters honestly. And in that regards it doesn't provide a more enjoyable gameplay experience than Gears or even its predecessor, UC2, for me.

There is a lot of fun to be had but theres nothing wrong criticizing weaker aspects of the game in the official topic thread.

cjtiger300 said:
Yeah, and I honestly think you will see ND go to a three year development cycle after all the complaints of it coming out too soon (I'm looking at you Sesler). It will also help with the crunch, but something tells me that ND loves to be challenged by there own crazy dev cycle.
I've heard lots about their new game, it's going to be insane. It will be met with a lot of contempt (I think) but the quality will be there. Cannot wait.

Grisby said:
I would compare it to other third-person shooters honestly. And in that regards it doesn't provide a more enjoyable gameplay experience than Gears or even its predecessor, UC2, for me.

There is a lot of fun to be had but theres nothing wrong criticizing weaker aspects of the game in the official topic thread.
Yea I think thats where the split comes from - those that want an interactive cinematic experience with some gunfights. And those that want gunfights and some cinematic touches. It's sad that we can't just have both and both sides just like what they like.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finished! Or err, Charted!, as you people seem to say. Thoughts, spoiler tagged appropriately, will now follow. Disclaimer: I enjoy the series, but I'm not the world's biggest Uncharted fan. They're worth the price of admission for good, blockbuster fun, but I never thought much more of the original two games. Anywho, moving on, with opinions that will no doubt conflict with most.

Graphics / Presentation

At it's best I felt Uncharted 3 was a nice step up over Uncharted 2. I never expected the same leap in visual quality, but there's improvements worth noting. When they work, Drake's expanded animation set looks wonderful, giving him a real human quality to the way he moves around the world. I liked the additional graphical effects missing from Uncharted 2, like godrays. They were used well.

Basically all of the bright chapters set in the Middle East were the best looking in my opinion. Gorgeous texture detail, stunning effects, and huge geometry counts. The various tombs/temples you explore also look incredible. The desert sequences, though very linear and controlled, were among the most beautiful graphical presentations I've ever seen in a video game. Some of the stuff they were rendering in real time was just wow. Great stuff from Naughty Dog.

Sound design was typically good. Great voice acting, good soundtrack, and I thought the weapon sounds were better than Uncharted 2. They sounded less spongy and squishy, now with extra 'bang' and 'snap'. I dig it.

However, I also thought Uncharted 3 was a mixed bag graphically. The night time stages, such as those set in
London
and (if I'm remembering correctly) the
Syrian castle
, looked like shit to me. Of course by 'shit' I don't mean literally terrible, but the chosen locations and art direction were extremely unappealing to me. I also wasn't a fan of the
ship graveyard
until later in the chapter. The early parts were visually dull. These areas really lacked in detail and neat effects that all my favourite areas do. I also noticed an alarming amount of low resolutions textures throughout the first ten chapters, to the point where I thought the game was waiting to stream in the HQ textures like Uncharted (and occasionally Uncharted 2) did. None of it looked bad, but the frequency of far less detailed textures was much, much higher than either of the two previous games.

Also, as mentioned early, Naughty Dog fucked the character models for Chloe and Elena. They goofed 'em up for reasons beyond me and it makes absolutely no sense, so nuts to that.

Story

On paper, I liked the idea. The hook was good, especially
exploring Drake's past
, and more Sully is never, ever a bad thing. The new villain was much more appealing than the villain for the previous games, so in that respect the game had a good thing going for it. Cutter was a great new character too, and I liked how
early footage of the game showed him, but its only now we learn he's on Drake's side
. That made me smile.

The way the game peaked and climaxed I thought was quite good too. The
removal of a up front supernatural element, while still keeping it somewhat relevant in presentation
, was a neat twist on the series' usual themes. I thought the whole idea of
hallucinations
was a good plot device and liked how it was worked into the gameplay and story.

Some parts of the story fell flat though or just didn't hit the same highs as past games. Chloe, as mentioned, was written completely out of character. Very dull and flat. The game also seriously lacked general banter, something very memorable in both Uncharted and Uncharted 2. It had it's moments, but they were too few and far between, and even Drake by himself had fewer one liners and commentary.

It seemed like the game wanted to take a more serious and personal tone. As said, I like the idea on paper. But in execution I felt the overall story was a bit too dreary, like nobody want to be cheerful for even a second. The characters seemed...tired and worn out or something, lessoning their playful banter and charismatics personas. Maybe this was intentional, and I can see why, but I don't think it worked to the strengths of the series and characters.

Gameplay

Okay, so, at it's best, Uncharted 3 is probably my favourite of the three games, because it was clear Naughty Dog were trying to inject the game with more variety and player driven action. The stronger emphasis on puzzles was very, very welcome, and even though most of the puzzles were basic "match the icons" stuff I enjoyed solving them, and there were some neat ideas there, particularly with perspectives. The way they had longer stretches of puzzles was really appealing to me, as I felt a strong hybrid between puzzle solving, exploration and action is where the series is at it's best. I also really liked how many of the environments at least felt bigger, with a bit more wandering and sight seeing.

I liked the addition to the combat mechanics. Tossing back grenades is a necessary but welcome addition, the guns were cool, and the enemy mix, though a direct copy from Uncharted 2, still mostly works. The new fight system is okay. It looks really good and it has potential, but it's mostly one big depthless QTE which, in the middle of an intense gunfight, especially late in the game, is more trouble than it's worth. I liked the idea of enemies being more aggressive, trying to draw you from cover and flank, to prevent the turtling that made Uncharted 2 pretty easy.

Where I think Uncharted 3 seriously faltered though is in the combat encounter design, which honestly I think is considerably worse than Uncharted 2. The environments were uninteresting to fight in, and seemed clumsily designed, as on multiple occasions I had problems with fiddly cover. Unlike Uncharted 2, Uncharted 3's mix of stealth vs combat was sloppy. It felt less controlled and polished than Uncharted 2, and instead like a haphazard litter of enemy placements and patrols. Spawning new enemies for failing stealth is an unbelievably stupid design decision in my opinion, and goes in the face of the whole point of stealth planning and what worked well in the last game. Enemies seemed to have less of a response to bullet impacts than Uncharted 2, reminding me a lot of the first game. And, as has been beaten to death, Naughty Dog fucked the aiming and I don't know why.

Final Thoughts

As said, at it's best Uncharted 3 is my favourite in the trilogy. However, at it's worst, it's probably my least favourite. There was something seriously off about almost the entire game that I find difficult to put my finger on. I was going to say it felt like Naughty Dog phoned it in, but that isn't true and I don't feel that way. Instead, I guess, it feels like Naughty Dog somewhat ran out of steam with the series. Yes, there's good stuff, but there's a whole lot of meandering about and design that feels rushed and uninspired.

At it's worst it highlighted my feelings that as a third person shooter, Uncharted can be total arse, and is a million miles away from better, more polished shooters on the market. Yes, I often felt this way about Uncharted 2, but Uncharted in some ways made me grow a stronger appreciation for Uncharted 2. Uncharted 3's encounter deigns feels half arsed to me, like not a lot of thought was gone into creating engaging combat environments and varied enemy encounters. It seemed rushed, I guess is what I'm saying.

And that's how I feel about the game as a whole. For me the game was a bipolar mess of awesome moments and great set pieces, and then really drab, boring and uninteresting stretches of game. Even though it had moments I felt were the best in the trilogy, as a whole I'd probably rate it the worst. Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan, but even Uncharted and Uncharted 2 had an enduring quality, and after finishing both there was a desire to go back and play, or see some of the set pieces. I don't have that at all with Uncharted 3. It was an empty experience for me, seriously lacking in polish and memorable design.

If I had to score it I'd give it 7/10.

StuBurns

Banned
Darknessbear said:
Yea I think thats where the split comes from - those that want an interactive cinematic experience with some gunfights. And those that want gunfights and some cinematic touches. It's sad that we can't just have both and both sides just like what they like.
Why can't we? We have both of those games, I don't see what's wrong with favoring or over the other.

branny

upJTboogie said:
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, like I said, if people are having fun with those things then that's all that matters. :p

jett said:
I agree, I've grown to really enjoy the combat in this game, as simplistic as it is. It has a nice "punch" to it, and on crushing you don't get input prompts, which is a plus. I wish ND had though more of gamers and had disabled them in all difficulties.
Is there an option to manually turn the prompts off for other difficulties? I can't check at the moment. =\

StuBurns said:
If Skyrim sucks it won't get a free pass because it's been a while, the OT will be heavily critical.
It will just have to compare favorably to the memories people have of earlier games. However, considering the traditional weaknesses of the series, I'd be willing to bet those coming off of something like Dark Souls may not be too kind to Skyrim's combat, even though at this point that's just been a weaker area of Elder Scrolls games that people accept in return for everything else done well.

RDreamer

Grisby said:

Eh... I tried to play the Gears series because of my love for Uncharted 1 & 2. I wanted more 3rd person shooter action, but the games did almost nothing for me. The only time I had a decent amount of fun with them was when I was co-oping with my friend. To me the Gears series controls like crap compared to Uncharted. I had a hard time with aiming (probably more because I'm not used to the 360 pad there), and the characters just felt like barely maneuverable giant tanks and not people. And the guns felt like I was shooting BBs at my enemies or something. There was no heft to the bullets (probably because the enemies were beefy as hell too). Maybe once I'm done with Uc3 I'll try them again, since I'd really like to get my money's worth on those games, and I'll have a hankering for more 3rd person shooters, but I'm not really going to hold my breath.

StuBurns said:
Why can't we? We have both of those games, I don't see what's wrong with favoring or over the other.
Yes we do, but it seems where things are headed - the two genres are just mixing together. When in fact, I think they would benefit from growing further apart.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Some people want Uncharted to be a PS3 Gears of War... But I think, more properly, it's an "Indiana Jones sim".

Going back to the original design for Uncharted… Do you really think they were trying to make a third person shooter first and foremost? I think that just came out of necessity. Indiana Jones has shootouts and it lends itself to gameplay.. But the core design was not "shooter" but "adventure".

StuBurns

Banned
Darknessbear said:
Yes we do, but it seems where things are headed - the two genres are just mixing together. When in fact, I think they would benefit from growing further apart.
I see what you mean now, my mistake. I don't think everyone is going to clone the interactive movie concept. Enslaved is pretty much the only game that has tried to follow UC as far as I know, well there was LMNO but that was canned. UC3 isn't going to spur the TPS genre into the interactive movie business. Unless UC3 suddenly sells twenty million copies, and it won't.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
StuBurns said:
I see what you mean now, my mistake. I don't think everyone is going to clone the interactive movie concept. Enslaved is pretty much the only game that has tried to follow UC as far as I know, well there was LMNO but that was canned. UC3 isn't going to spur the TPS genre into the interactive movie business. Unless UC3 suddenly sells twenty million copies, and it won't.
Itd be interesting to see what kind of sales Uncharted would get if it was multiplatform… An idea a Future Shop employee naively suggested to me the other day ;)

My super special amazing EU edition came in the mail today! :D

25jlboy.jpg

Can't wait to get started after one of media blackout I finally get to see how the game looks! :D

[edit] more picks here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32444546&postcount=317

Grisby

RDreamer said:
Eh... I tried to play the Gears series because of my love for Uncharted 1 & 2. I wanted more 3rd person shooter action, but the games did almost nothing for me. The only time I had a decent amount of fun with them was when I was co-oping with my friend. To me the Gears series controls like crap compared to Uncharted. I had a hard time with aiming (probably more because I'm not used to the 360 pad there), and the characters just felt like barely maneuverable giant tanks and not people. And the guns felt like I was shooting BBs at my enemies or something. There was no heft to the bullets (probably because the enemies were beefy as hell too). Maybe once I'm done with Uc3 I'll try them again, since I'd really like to get my money's worth on those games, and I'll have a hankering for more 3rd person shooters, but I'm not really going to hold my breath.
That's cool. I love the more focus on cover in Gears while Uncharted offers great mobility. BB's though? Agree to disagree as to me, Gears has the most 'weighty' combat of any TPS. I've been playing UC3 mp anf Gears MP back to back and it's been a blast. They compliment each other so well.

Darknessbear said:
The thing is though I thought they blended those two things very well in 2. Take the train and the tank sequences. Heavy 'cinematic' action with large dose's of shooting and in the train's case, it offered another mechanic of stability and aim.

BocoDragon said:
Some people want Uncharted to be a PS3 Gears of War... But I think, more properly, it's an "Indiana Jones sim".

Going back to the original design for Uncharted… Do you really think they were trying to make a third person shooter first and foremost? I think that just came out of necessity. Indiana Jones has shootouts and it lends itself to gameplay.. But the core design was not "shooter" but "adventure".
StuBurns said:
I want more adventure games. And that genre is slowly dwindling. And the last really awesome adventure experience (Uncharted) is often criticized because of the shooting aspects and that people would rather play a good shooter. It's like, yea I understand where you are coming from! But please keep it quiet, some of us still like this dying genre and it needs all of the support it can get.

Also random point (people never mention) - Uncharted IS the BEST girlfriend game experience. My gf watched the entire thing nonstop. Every other game has spots where it gets slow and she gets bored. ND deserves major props for this...

Ok, I'm watching Dinosaurs Alive 3D right now and with mentions of Roy Chapman Andrews and the supposed influence for Indy and having to do with paleontology, I want Uncharted 4 meets JP like now.

Imagine dino digs and museums and the possibility of a mysterious organization trying to bring back dinos... and we face them at the end. Sure, may be too much of a rip off but doesn't mean I don't want it.

Top Bottom