• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

After getting to the beginning of Chapter 8 last night, I retired tonight at the beginning of Chapter 16. The segment we saw at E3 was as amazing to play as it was to watch back in June. At the same time,
Drake breaking free of his captors, navigating a shipwreck site filled with goons, sinking a cruise liner and managing to float back to Yemen unconscious
is one of the most fucking ridiculous things I've ever seen in gaming. Love it, but sometimes the implausibility becomes too much, ya know?

Still loving this though. Yay Elena <(^_^)>

Massa

I'm one of those people who loved Uncharted 1 more than 2, so far I'm at chapter 14 in Uncharted 3.

Anyway, this game is just amazing. For me it completely blows UC2 out of the water - so far at least, the writing is better, the set pieces are fantastic and most importantly the gunfights are way more open in the way you can approach them. The sense of adventure is back, the pacing is just brilliant... a lot of hyperbole, I know, but I'm so damn happy with this game.

I would have loved if ND could have made the part
where you jump out of the cruise ship and your in those monstrous waves longer. Maybe introducing some gameplay mechanic where you struggling to stay afloat while they come smashing down on you.

wrighty86

Neo Member
So, it seems like many on here the
ship graveyard
frustrated the fuck outta them. Can u clear the whole section? Infact, can you clear ever scenario in U3?

Also, i majorly failed at the
chess board like
puzzle, they ended up telling me hw to do it.

This game seemed harder than the last two, but I think overall its more of a match than U2. I think ppl on here r forgetting that U2 had real flaws, like the dog shit latter half or the horrible stealth level. I felt U3 had flaws with the AI enemies and I only aiming...but none of these were game breaking at all. But opinions are like ass hole i guess.

This, for me, is GOTY.

wrighty86

Neo Member
Can i also add, tht this game is a grower. It doesnt hit u as instantly as U2 but after u sleep on it u appreciate the experience more

StuBurns

Banned
UC2 does have bad levels, the stealth level, the train level, the last level, the last boss. I think combined they last about as long as UC3's opening pre-France chapter. All of which is bad I think.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
StuBurns said:
UC2 does have bad levels, the stealth level, the train level, the last level, the last boss. I think combined they last about as long as UC3's opening pre-France chapter. All of which is bad I think.

The train level wasn't bad. I agree with you about the others. I used to go back and replay that train level so many times. Loved it.

I wish there was a level in uncharted 3 that i loved as much as the train level in uncharted 2.

StuBurns said:

You didn't like
young drake
. Man I loved that section. Definitely slow but I thought it was such a great way to start off.

Would I be spoiling anything if I started the UC series with UC3?

I bought a PS3 bundle which included all Uncharted games, but they were out of the 1/2 dual pack (rain check), which I'll pick up when they're back in stock.

What say you, GAF?

StuBurns

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
You didn't like
young drake
. Man I loved that section. Definitely slow but I thought it was such a great way to start off.
I loved it conceptional, but I thought playing it was bad. Walking thru the town, all that running on roof tops, gave me flashbacks of AC1.

opticalmace said:

I bought a PS3 bundle which included all Uncharted games, but they were out of the 1/2 dual pack (rain check), which I'll pick up when they're back in stock.

What say you, GAF?
You would in a sense, you'll know what characters have no chance of dying, you'll know if people know each other after the events of 1 and 2, you'll know how the love triangle in UC2 ends etc. It depends on how much you'll care about the story, and that's hard to know before you play one.

StuBurns said:

Which one was 'the stealth level'? The first one? The worst part about U2 is everything before Harry fucks you over, so yeah, I can agree with that. The train level is fucking great though, how can you like Uncharted at all and hate that I do not know.

opticalmace said:

What say you, GAF?

Character development and the conversations between the characters would be what you'd lose...but nothing major if you don't give a damn

I can't really think of any level in 2 or 3 that I didn't want to revisit or that posed any real difficulty for me. Maybe if the games seemed harder I would have a lot more issues but I never felt I died cheaply. Even in UC3 with the different aiming(Definitely prefer UC2) I got the 100 headshots before Chapter 12.
end stealth brag

Actually scratch that I really disliked the stealth training level in UC2. Just so boring.

StuBurns said:
I loved it conceptional, but I thought playing it was bad. Walking thru the town, all that running on roof tops, gave me flashbacks of AC1.

I actually really enjoyed the slow pace that set up that level, and I was amazed that through the
running sequence
ND provided all these subtle ways to direct you where you should run. Add to that the contextual stuff you would do depending on the times where the paths branched. I thought the whole thing was really well done.

dralla

BruceLeeRoy said:
You didn't like
young drake
I think the problem starts after that, the next few chapters after that are so long and incredibly boring, they really screw up the pacing. UC2 had the decency to keep the stealth tutorial area short

BeeDog

Some co-op adventure spoilers:

Fun stuff, the fifth level where you fight all the old baddies was surprisingly cool.
But I was wondering, was there any truth in that
clown horde
that was discussed before the game was released?

dralla said:
I think the problem starts after that, the next few chapters after that are so long and incredibly boring, they really screw up the pacing. UC2 had the decency to keep the stealth tutorial area short

Yeah I can understand that. I still didn't think any one section was as boring as the stealth training level. For some reason I also remember that part of the game being glitchy as all hell.

Shane86

Why does EVERYONE pick the airport in Co-op adventure? And why is it ALWAYS one of the two options? I'd like to play a different level please

StuBurns

Banned
Green Scar said:
Which one was 'the stealth level'? The first one? The worst part about U2 is everyone before Harry fucks you over, so yeah, I can agree with that. The train level is fucking great though, how can you like Uncharted at all and hate that I do not know.
It's very literally completely linear. It felt like there was no choice at any point of that level to me. There actually is, you can basically go via the roof tops, or the insides, but regardless it doesn't really offer you choice in the way the game frequently does.

The stealth level is the same, you do it as they want you to, or you don't do it at all, that's probably why I don't like that level. I don't think it's fun to act out a play a designer has written, I think it's fun to play with a toolset in an environment a designer has produced to allow you some 'expression', every time Uncharted deviates from that I tend to find it pretty boring.

Grisby

BruceLeeRoy said:
where you jump out of the cruise ship and your in those monstrous waves longer. Maybe introducing some gameplay mechanic where you struggling to stay afloat while they come smashing down on you.
Dammit, Bruce you made me want to high-five you thru the interwebz. I like that idea.

Although I did have the aiming problem so it would have probably felt like ND was supa trolling me. Post patch though!

Yaska

Game so far is amazing. Just disappointed in the amazingly shitty controls. Feels like they didn't even play their own game. Also been running into multiple bugs ( enemies that can shoot through their own belly, or enemies that can walk through walls), so here's hoping ND will spend some time on fixing the SP instead of focusing on the multiplayer.

StuBurns said:
It's very literally completely linear. It felt like there was no choice at any point of that level to me. There actually is, you can basically go via the roof tops, or the insides, but regardless it doesn't really offer you choice in the way the game frequently does.

The stealth level is the same, you do it as they want you to, or you don't do it at all, that's probably why I don't like that level. I don't think it's fun to act out a play a designer has written, I think it's fun to play with a toolset in an environment a designer has produced to allow you some 'expression', every time Uncharted deviates from that I tend to find it pretty boring.

Fair enough. I never really seem to mind, as I go to the series for a A -> B, simple, showy action game anyway, so forced linearity never bothers me. Especially in instances where the game gets really flashy, like the train level does so well.

Stealth level sucked, but tutorial levels DO suck. Rule of thumb, I guess. That's why they never used to do them back in the day- waste of time. This game seems to tutor far more naturally, letting the game play out and popping in hints when you come across new stuff, so that's nice.

Lightning

Banned
dralla said:
I don't know, only chapters 4 & 5 were sort of slow for me but the
Chateau
was awesome and from that point I found the pacing to be perfect.

What an ending!

I dreaded each time I had to use my gun or sneak up on somebody, but the story and presentation made it all worth it.

I think the series will be like the God of War series. Each entry was great, but they each had something's better than the others.

Grisby said:
Dammit, Bruce you made me want to high-five you thru the interwebz. I like that idea.

Although I did have the aiming problem so it would have probably felt like ND was supa trolling me. Post patch though!

*High Five!

ThirstyFly said:
I wish your DLC characters from U2 carried over. I don't want to buy a while pack again just for Eddy Raja :(

Aw, that's kinda bullshit. That game's roster of MP characters ended up being huge by time you were done and had bought all the DLC, so that's shitty. If they seriously expect people to pony up again just to play as the U1/2 cast (and Cole McGrath or whoever), well, they should know better.

Syn23

hey_it's_that_dog said:
My perspective is that crushing will be a not-so-much-fun slog either way and I doubt the subtle difference in controls (once you've mostly adapted to the new feel) will have a huge impact on that.

I'm not so sure about that. In both Uncharted 1 and 2 crushing difficulty was the most fun for me, because by that time I knew what tipe of enemies were going to spawn and where, and beating it gave me the impression of having mastered the game.
Here, in Uncharted 3, at times the aiming "lag" was annoying even on Normal, especially for long range gunplay, so it could definitely be really bad on crushing. But the only part that I can see potentially being really frustrating on crushing is the fight
against the djinns in that small area with the fountain,
and I'm not sure how much the aiming issue could make it worse.

UrbanRats

So ehm.. how do i use custom skins in local splitscreen arena? I can customize a character, but the second player keeps getting my clone (or i keep getting his, depending on who start the match).
How does this work?

dralla

BruceLeeRoy said:
Yeah I can understand that. I still didn't think any one section was as boring as the stealth training level. For some reason I also remember that part of the game being glitchy as all hell.
but how much of the game is that? 15 minutes? In UC3 the tutorial sections last almost 2 hours. Than it slows back down after Cheateu, you don't get into good momentum til the second half of the game, and without that momentum the slower areas lose their appeal, there's no contrast and no real reason to 'catch your breath'.

I'd also bet my life that an action sequence was cut at the end of
Syria. When you get on the bus at the end it made it seem like some chase sequence was coming up, but nothing. It's also followed by Yemen, which would would've been a similar transition to Train->Tibetan Village from UC2. But instead we go from the relatively slow, stealthy Syria to an even slower Yemen

Lightning said:
I don't know, only chapters 4 & 5 were sort of slow for me but the
Chateau
was awesome and from that point I found the pacing to be perfect.
I think that should've been the opening level. It's guided enough to allow them to teach the player the basics and it has the 'wow factor' to get you hooked.

neojubei said:
I'm going to have to do that. I think I'll just play the game for the story.

Where are you?

StuBurns said:
I think I'd have enjoyed it more if I'd have done the same, a wise move I think.

Same. By the time I got to
the endless waves of enemies in the desert
I was completely fed up with the shootouts.

StuBurns

Banned
neojubei said:
I'm going to have to do that. I think I'll just play the game for the story.
I think I'd have enjoyed it more if I'd have done the same, a wise move I think.

EDIT: No patch as of yet.

Teknoman

Im surprised people were having trouble with the
Ship Grave
yard. It was challenging, but taking a minute to think about the best way to take out enemies and taking a minute to observe patrols made things much easier.

Playing on Hard mode and the only times i've died is when I misjudged a jump/jumped in the wrong direction, or tried to pull a super action hero shooting rush without taking cover. Currently at The
Settlement

The puzzles are alot more challenging than before, but nothing mind breaking. Just right imo, and the only time i've had to use a hint is if I got turned around in the area/Drake wouldnt look where he "wanted" to jump.

Teknoman said:
Ship Grave
yard. It was challenging, but taking a minute to think about the best way to take out enemies and taking a minute to observe patrols made things much easier.

Playing on Hard mode and the only times i've died is when I misjudged a jump/jumped in the wrong direction, or tried to pull a super action hero shooting rush without taking cover. Currently at The
Settlement

What can I say Teknoman some people just aren't as bad ass as us.

Yamibito

BruceLeeRoy said:
Holy crap that could've been amazing, another thing I would've liked to of seen is an extension of when
you get pulled in by your reflection, I think they could've done an amazing freefall type of sequence with that scene, they really should've took the hallucination scenes a bit further

Teknoman said:
Ship Grave

Settlement

The puzzles are alot more challenging than before, but nothing mind breaking. Just right imo, and the only time i've had to use a hint is if I got turned around in the area/Drake wouldnt look where he "wanted" to jump.
Had no problems with that either, but then again I'm great at Uncharted, I think the cruise ship and the desert were ridiculous though, the desert just because it was shootout after shootout.

jett

D-Member
Teknoman said:
Ship Grave

The problem with that place is that the people complaining are playing that area in a conventional way instead of taking advantage of the environment.
You can swim under nearly every piece of debris floating on the water, effectively using it as cover.
That was the only way to beat it on crushing. The only problem I have with that place is that it forces a checkpoint on you and you can't attempt to stealth your way through it again.

StuBurns

Banned
That section did take me four or five tries. Bizarrely once I got past the check point, the next time I died it literally took me to a place I'd never been, and it's not the only time the game did that.

Yamibito said:
Holy crap that could've been amazing, another thing I would've liked to of seen is an extension of when
you get pulled in by your reflection, I think they could've done an amazing freefall type of sequence with that scene, they really should've took the hallucination scenes a bit further

Dang man...Yeah I didn't even think of that part. They could have definitely extended that.

jett said:
The problem with that place is that the people complaining are playing that area in a conventional way instead of taking advantage of the environment.
You can swim under nearly every piece of debris floating on the water, effectively using it as cover.
That was the only way to beat it on crushing. The only problem I have with that place is that it forces a checkpoint on you and you can't attempt to stealth your way through it again.

Bad ass #3

Green Scar said:
Aw, that's kinda bullshit. That game's roster of MP characters ended up being huge by time you were done and had bought all the DLC, so that's shitty. If they seriously expect people to pony up again just to play as the U1/2 cast (and Cole McGrath or whoever), well, they should know better.

Yeah, I just started the MP yesterday and everything is like BUY FROM THE STORE. I didn't notice you can buy them separately though for 49 cents a piece, so that's not tooooo bad, but still sucks considering they're all just from U1 and U2 and some of them were already paid DLC which I've already bought. I think I'll just stick with the defaults, I don't really want to support this kind of DLC.

jett

D-Member
ThirstyFly said:
Yeah, I just started the MP yesterday and everything is like BUY FROM THE STORE. I didn't notice you can buy them separately though for 49 cents a piece, so that's not tooooo bad, but still sucks considering they're all just from U1 and U2 and some of them were already paid DLC which I've already bought. I think I'll just stick with the defaults, I don't really want to support this kind of DLC.

There are a couple of free skin packs btw.

StuBurns

Banned
wrighty86 said:
I repeat, can u clear the
ship grave yard
level? It felt like an endless amount of enemies
What do you mean? Can you kill people and they stop coming? Yes. There is no endless respawning in the game as far as I can tell.

Xtyle

got to desert village. Has been an amazing and intense game thus far.
I play and finished UC1, UC2 (multiple times) and while it could be true that the aiming in UC3 is different than in UC2, I didn't notice it. It never bothered and I could aim just fine during this whole time. I am not sure why it needs to be blown out of water like some people do...

Also, while some may not like some combat scenarios or the melee fights, I enjoyed them all even though I had many deaths as well. It's still been fun even when at times it is frustrating. The auto save usually gets me back to where I died so that helps.

Well, I just beat it about two hours ago. Man what a thrill ride. I loved it. The only gripe I had was the aiming was clumsy, but that's kinda been acknowledged I guess. I also really hate that the bullet sponge dudes can just eat a grenade or two. I think I would have liked the game more without them in it.

The
rough seas and cruise ship
surpassed just about any level in U1 or U2 by far. They were the best and most dynamic environments I have ever seen in any game. For some reason I wasn't a huge fan of the
burning chateau
section. It was good, but I got annoyed at it a bit. Still better than what you get in most games.

Overall I would say that the plot was a step above the last two. Not as much supernatural silliness. It was there, but it was reasonable.

Teknoman

jett said:

Yeah thats probably the issue.

upJTboogie said:
Had no problems with that either, but then again I'm great at Uncharted, I think the cruise ship and the desert were ridiculous though, the desert just because it was shootout after shootout.

Well the desert so far strikes me as a little too much action too soon, especially since
Drake just wandered around for two or three days without water, stumbles through a ghost town gate, and then he's back in fighting shape
. I know he just got out of one insane situation, but its kinda funny the way it worked out. Not complaining too much though, since I love jungle and desert environments.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Net_Wrecker said:
Where are you?

Same. By the time I got to
the endless waves of enemies in the desert
I was completely fed up with the shootouts.

The settlement. I really want to like this game I really do but now I just have to play on easy or very easy. Normal just feels so unbalanced.

Teknoman said:
Yeah thats probably the issue.

I want to pipe in and say no, least for me. The ship graveyard with the water is easy, swim underneath, but after that part there is a small section that has some cover but the enemies are swarming in all directions. This part is before you scale the walls. It is too small of an area to have a tough gun battle.

Top Bottom