• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

vpance

Am I missing something basic here or can you not swim underwater for any longer than 2 sec?? Drake just keeps coming back up to surface even if I aimed downward (or upward) on the analog stick and hold or tap circle repeatedly.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
vpance said:
Am I missing something basic here or can you not swim underwater for any longer than 2 sec?? Drake just keeps coming back up to surface even if I aimed downward (or upward) on the analog stick and hold or tap circle repeatedly.
Hold down O. Sometimes it won't let you stay down for too long so you don't get lost.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The game shines more on the second playthrough just as I suspected. Still probably end up being my least favorite of the 3 games but knowing how to approach everything the 2nd time around definitely alleviates some of my issues.

Guess I'm in the "8/10" group with this game.

BeautifulMemory said:
I hated the spoiler part. Hated it. Thank for enemy variation, but come the fuck on

You are absolute right about how Drake shouldn't be played as Batman. Well, problem is 1) the very first fight gave that impression while did not have as fluidity; 2) all the melee fights drag on too long, and you end up getting shot at; 3) while there are different things you can do against normal enemies, against bigger ones it's scripted - nothing you do is different, it is just a mass of QTE that you either press triangle and circle. You never really have any melee move --- and that annoys me

Is it really a QTE though? You press O when you're being grabbed and press triangle when time slows and an enemy's about to hit you.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
BeautifulMemory said:
lol what? I didn't see any RPG...maybe it also didn't help that I died and had to respawn --- as that put me in a different situation than if I didn't die
Yeah, that section is lousy with Taus, RPGs, and grenade launchers. I don't think I was ever without a weapon that could kill them in more than 3 hits.

The Main Event said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGuS8gjX5Kk

Taped a bit of the A.I. here. It happened to me countless times, and I'm only in chapter 9. Most enemies attacks are triggered only if you move or do something, which to me feels heavily scripted. I don't remember being in this kind of situation in Uncharted 2. It really makes the shooting sequences extremely shallow and non-challenging. And some of them just pass right next to you in circle, only to go hide behind a block somewhere.

Thats weird. That never happened to me. Most of my firefights actually felt over-aggressive, especially the
ship ballroom, ship graveyard, and the smokeless fire chapters
It was to the point where I died about 4-5 times and was forced to keep trying new tactics or move to the best cover points. I specifically did my first playthrough on normal just to avoid this and enjoy the ride smoothly, but I still ended up frustrated at some points.

Even on that firefight of the game I got forced in to that specific corner and died a few times from the shotty guys sneaking in or the crazy grenade spam. BTW, What difficulty is that? If that is a glitch, hopefully that would be exploitable in crushing. lol

LightOfTruth said:
Is it really a QTE though? You press O when you're being grabbed and press triangle when time slows and an enemy's about to hit you.

It has the same sequence for me

Square, hit > Mass circle after being grabbed > Square > oh here comes the counter, hit triangle > Square > Triangle

And if I mess up, just start over and it will follow this exact routine. With normal enemies is like hit, being grabbed, and hit x 2 with occasional countering.

There's no freeflow in the melee combat. It's all scripted to more or less extent

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
BeautifulMemory said:
It has the same sequence for me

Square, hit > Mass circle after being grabbed > Square > oh here comes the counter, hit triangle > Square > Triangle

And if I mess up, just start over and it will follow this exact routine. With normal enemies is like hit, being grabbed, and hit x 2 with occasional countering.

There's no freeflow in the melee combat. It's all scripted to more or less extent
Huh, the order was different for me nearly every time. I do agree it's too long in melee and some of the animations don't blend too well (although that could be improved with motion blur) but I thought it was fun and improvised weapons were a blast.

I know there was a video of this many pages back, but the spawn points on the train are ridiculous. I felt dirty as I stood there and mowed down about 5 guys in a row as they spawned right in front of me.

rhino4evr

The amount of whining and bitching in this thread is ridiculous for such a great game. Me thinks a lot of Gaf was a little overhyped for this one. Most of you are taking minor complaints and blowing them into game ruining travesties. The game plays just like an Uncharted game does, I dont know what else you all were looking for when you hit the start button.

C_H_T said:

Damn, I forgot this game had 3D. I can't imagine what
Drugged Drake or Starry Night Desert
would be like.

upJTboogie said:
Using O during melee combat really spruces it up, tossing them into objects then attacking has great results.

Yeah, there are some neat environmental contextual attacks. The coolest one I saw so far is
smashing the dude's head in the refrigerator/freezer
. Very Yakuza-esque. lol

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
rhino4evr said:
The amount of whining and bitching in this thread is ridiculous for such a great game. Me thinks a lot of Gaf was a little overhyped for this one. Most of you are taking minor complaints and blowing them into game ruining travesties. The game plays just like an Uncharted game does, I dont know what else you all were looking for when you hit the start button.
I think a lot of people were just blindsided by how awesome 2 was and expected to be blown away by 3. I think 2 and 3 are equal but for different reasons. Once the aiming/motion blur patch is out a lot of people's control and visual issues will be gone.

Damn, co-op is really fun and challenging this time around. 2 Rocket guys in armor with 4 shield guys coming at you from both sides...
angry.gif

revolverjgw said:
Goddammit, I need to get to level 70 before I can play as young Sully? Better get grinding then

Co-op is probably the easiest way to level up, i've found. I was getting 1 level per match at around lvl 30-35

rhino4evr said:
I think a lot of it has to do with some people looking at U2 with rose colored glasses, it had some graphical flaws and moments where it would throw the gauntlet at you as well.

Luthos

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
Co-op is probably the easiest way to level up, i've found. I was getting 1 level per match at around lvl 30-35
And it's somewhat less frustrating for me than just straight competitive.

That is until you get to round 10 and it's a siege round in the middle of the map with armored guys coming from all directions.

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
Damn, co-op is really fun and challenging this time around. 2 Rocket guys in armor with 4 shield guys coming at you from both sides...
angry.gif

I'll do that, haven't tried it yet. It was fun as hell in the beta.

Pranay

You can mix up the melee against smaller guy, i guess a bit more control over what you do will make it better.

Against the big guys it was a bit boring

and btw co op is brilliant lol

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Pranay_ said:
You can mix up the melee against smaller guy, i guess a bit more control over what you do will make it better.

Against the big guys it was a bit boring

Getting away from them and shooting them is actually hilarious. They never seem to expect it.

So, bought the PS3 Uncharted 3 bundle last week. First time owning the system. I've probably played 10 minutes total before that. This was the first Uncharted game I play. Just beat it. Impressed. Should I check out the previous 2? Everyone here is saying 2 is better.

StuBurns

Banned
Pranay_ said:
I'm really looking forward to it, could you post a little more about it?

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
So, bought the PS3 Uncharted 3 bundle last week. First time owning the system. I've probably played 10 minutes total before that. This was the first Uncharted game I play. Just beat it. Should I check out the previous 2?
2 is a safe bet, 1 is pretty aged now, there are demos for both on PSN though, and you can probably get them very cheap anyway.

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
Thats weird. That never happened to me. Most of my firefights actually felt over-aggressive, especially the
ship ballroom, ship graveyard, and the smokeless fire chapters
It was to the point where I died about 4-5 times and was forced to keep trying new tactics or move to the best cover points. I specifically did my first playthrough on normal just to avoid this and enjoy the ride smoothly, but I still ended up frustrated at some points.

Even on that firefight of the game I got forced in to that specific corner and died a few times from the shotty guys sneaking in or the crazy grenade spam. BTW, What difficulty is that? If that is a glitch, hopefully that would be exploitable in crushing. lol

Playing the game on normal. Happened before that chapter, and now I'm just playing around everytime there's a firefight to see if I can make that "glitch" happen again. And it did work once after inside the Chateau. I was just aiming at them (2 of 'em) and they wouldn't do anything, not even hiding. I was about to film it until a third guy came in and unfortunately, triggered their attack.

Co-op is all I play; it gets very intense towards the later rounds. Nobody wants to play on Hard or Crushing; people seem to always vote for easy or normal. I want to find a good team and do some Crushing runs.

Lightning

Banned
Paradoxal_Utopia said:
So, bought the PS3 Uncharted 3 bundle last week. First time owning the system. I've probably played 10 minutes total before that. This was the first Uncharted game I play. Just beat it. Should I check out the previous 2?
Yes. Both great great games and among the best available on the PS3. You can get the platinum bundle which includes both games and it's well worth the price.

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
Absolutely get number 2. 1 will feel very clunky since you've played the much improved sequels but it's worth a rent.

Pranay

StuBurns said:
I'm really looking forward to it, could you post a little more about it?

I played the first 3 chapters, couldnt finish the third one.

We played the story mode.

The Banter between the character were hilarious.

The First 3 Level were quite fun and intense.

Their are
spy type of enemies which are a good addition

I have never played a co op , so this was my first Co op game so i cant compare the co op with the previous game.

But its fun and intense and great imo

DryvBy

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
So, bought the PS3 Uncharted 3 bundle last week. First time owning the system. I've probably played 10 minutes total before that. This was the first Uncharted game I play. Just beat it. Impressed. Should I check out the previous 2? Everyone here is saying 2 is better.

Uncharted 1 & 2 are both great. Of course, 1 is going to be a little more "ancient" but not by much. I've recently played it and thought it was just fine, but not as defined as U2. But that's just natural in gaming.

StuBurns

Banned
Pranay_ said:
I played the first 3 chapters, couldnt finish the third one.

We played the story mode.

The Banter between the character were hilarious.

The First 3 Level were quite fun and intense.

Their are
spy type of enemies which are a good addition

I have never played a co op , so this was my first Co op game so i cant compare the co op with the previous game.

But its fun and intense and great imo
Thanks for the impressions, and you should play Portal 2's co-op. If you have a PC you should play L4D too.

Luthos said:
And it's somewhat less frustrating for me than just straight competitive.

That is until you get to round 10 and it's a siege round in the middle of the map with armored guys coming from all directions.

I should have been clearer...I've only been playing co-op adventure. Will try arena right now though. And yeah, co-op is much less frustrating than the mess that competitive can be. lol

Paradoxal_Utopia said:

Definitely, if you enjoyed this one. People still make the arguement that 1 or 2 are the better games. Ideally, you should have played in order but no harm. There are a handful lot of callbacks/inside jokes from 1 and 2 that are in 3. I say start with 1, then 2.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
it's been a very long time since I wasn't able to put a game down. Like 4 hours just went away like one. This was incredible. I liked UC2 but this game rapes it so hard that it's not even funny. Even with wonky controls. I might get UC2 again just because I want to support ND and have the game in my collection.

Mind. Blown.

and I usually don't like cinema-like shooters, prefering RPGs and immersive sims to them.

Pranay

subversus said:
it's been a very long time since I wasn't able to put a game down. Like 4 hours just went away like one. This was incredible. I liked UC2 but this game rapes it so hard that it's not even funny. Even with wonky controls. I might get UC2 again just because I want to support ND and have the game in my collection.

Mind. Blown.

and I usually don't like cinema-like shooters, prefering RPGs and immersive sims to them.

Finished the game ?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
subversus said:

Mind. Blown.

feels good, man.

KingK

Paradoxal_Utopia said:

2 and 3 are pretty close in quality. A lot of people prefer 2 because of how improved it was over 1, but I prefer 3 just a little bit. Regardless, if you liked Uncharted 3, you should definitely pick up the Uncharted dual pack that has both games for like $35 on Amazon. Well worth it.

JohngPR

RyanardoDaVinci said:
The big Airport encounter (the description sounds like this one is the hardest)

That part actually isn't too bad. I made this video for my friend to show him you can stealth entire sections: Chapter 16 spoilers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdHykOtjyoE

It's a damn shame there are two guys standing in front of the door after that video. There was no way I could see that you could stealth them.

:(

vpance

Got to chapter 14 now. So far all I can say is, what is this magic than ND possesses? Linear levels or not, achieving these visuals with 512mb RAM is incredible. I thought I'd be all meh after playing BF3 PC for a while but I'm glad U3 still impresses.

One area they could stand to improve is with sound though. I found the parts where I'm chasing someone or running away lack that oomph. Feels like I'm just gliding through. BF3 did really well in that department for comparison's sake.

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
Unfortunately you can't put the genie back in the bottle, but I would always recommend someone play the first two games before 3. They're just not going to be as entertaining when you've already seen what happens in 3.

But I think they're both amazing games. I just don't know why someone would play 3 before 1/2. :/

Chamber

love on your sleeve
JohngPR said:
That part actually isn't too bad. I made this video for my friend to show him you can stealth entire sections: Chapter 16 spoilers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdHykOtjyoE

It's a damn shame there are two guys standing in front of the door after that video. There was no way I could see that you could stealth them.

:(
That's the part I was talking about earlier. You clear the whole area via stealth just to get to the end and have two guys standing right in front of the exit. Makes the whole thing feel pointless.

cackhyena

I didn't think it could, but this one tops 2 for me. Seeing this franchise on a more powerful machine will melt my face. It's already so ridiculously gorgeous.

rhino4evr said:
Yea I just finished it.

The game is atrocious
the horse chase scene and then the end where the entire city is crumbling looked terrible. Much better in the Tomb Raider series. I give it a 3/10.

/sarcasm - come the fuck on people. I aint reading any more of this neogaf shit, so negative. It was fucking awesome.

Can we have a positive U3 thread, so I can actually talk about the game...?

Darkkn

Anyone else having problems with game not saving changes in settings? I've turned Colorblind mode ON and UC TV OFF many times, but when i start the game again, changes haven't saved properly :(

MP is a blast overall! Shame there is not many new maps :/ and i hate how melee in MP just puts character in a complete standstill. A lot of punching face-offs end in both players dying.

Top Bottom