• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

KingK

The Main Event said:
My main issue with the game so far is the dumb A.I. Uncharted 2 seemed to be better in that aspect as far as I can remember.

The AI seemed pretty aggressive to me. Much more so than Uncharted 2. I'd have guys sneaking up beside me all the time. Of course, you always have a couple guys who are stupid and just run right up to you, but most of them have been trying to flank me while others shoot at me long distance and try to flush me out with grenades. It really forces you to move around the level a lot more, which is something I missed in Uncharted 2, where you could pretty much just stay behind a few pieces of cover for the majority of a gun fight.

Anteater

jett said:
No, that's how the game is.

oh :(
I thought the music just wouldn't play or something.

Damn I suck at finding treasures, missing 45, is such a thing even possible

KingK said:
The AI seemed pretty aggressive to me. Much more so than Uncharted 2. I'd have guys sneaking up beside me all the time. Of course, you always have a couple guys who are stupid and just run right up to you, but most of them have been trying to flank me while others shoot at me long distance and try to flush me out with grenades. It really forces you to move around the level a lot more, which is something I missed in Uncharted 2, where you could pretty much just stay behind a few pieces of cover for the majority of a gun fight.

I think they just close up on you regardless, and some doesn't even know you're around so they just run around, I've seen a lot of them just stood there and running around objects, it's really hard to tell though. Some of them also just blow themselves up all the time because they were trying to toss grenades at you regardless of whether there's a wall infront of them or not.

I thought they feel a bit inconsistent.

thcsquad

PhiLonius said:
Yeah. Don't think stealth-ing the Chateau section is possible. If you go right, there is no one you could possibly take out without being detected and going left immediately alerts the guards. Don't remember it being like this in UC2.

The problem with that section is that it might be doable entirely in stealth, but once you die the first time, they respawn you having already been detected.

That one most definitely is. I just passed that section for the first time and nobody saw me. I actually found it rather easy, the first stealth section in Uncharted 2 was actually much harder.

I'm not getting the "game doesn't direct you where to go complaints". I got lost with no idea what to do way more often in Uncharted 2. The only thing that's annoying that is kind of related to that is your companions barking out hints for every puzzle. I thought turning off game hints would turn those off, but no dice. What does that option even do? I haven't observed it having any sort of an effect.

cameron

thetrin said:
There were definitely a few times when I asked myself "where the hell am I supposed to go?" and it was always during a quiet section. Action packed sections elicited the direction to go pretty obviously.

If you missed the camera/visual/audio cues, is there any reason why you wouldn't want to explore these quiet sections to figure out where to go next? The environments aren't generic FPS corridors. Naughty Dog has created some amazing looking levels that you can run around and climb. If, for whatever reason, it isn't clear where to go next, I don't see how exploration is a bad thing. Unless, of course, the complaint is that the game is not linear enough.

Holy shit this game. Hate to be that guy but I think there's a new candidate for the "game as art" campaign. Amazing.

Finished at 9:58 with an 1:22 spent standing still. 72 out of 100 treasures.

Sean

Banned
Greg said:
I don't think there was a single moment in the game where I was confused where to go next. The camera pans during chase sequences were good indicators on the direction to go, and I don't recall the game ever lacking a somewhat obvious visual cue in any of the traversal sections.

The only part that it wasn't clear where to go next IMO was
Syria
/Chapter 8, when you're making your way
up the castle tower right after you get blown out of the window by the grenade
. I went to the top floor but couldn't see anything. Everyone else was standing in place near rubble on the floor below and I was wondering if it was either bugged and they couldn't jump over it, or if I first needed to do something on the floor below where they were standing. The fact that they were not following me really threw me off (cause they always stand by where you need to go next) and made me think I was going the wrong way. After a while of searching the upper floor though I noticed the triangle prompt on a tiny door that blends in to the area. I guess they didn't follow because of
the surprise brute guy behind the door that pops out and fist fights you as soon as you open it.

BeeDog said:
Has anyone else encountered some weird sound problems? During the boat chapter, my sound was cut off partially twice, preceded with a loud pop that almost sounded like one of my speakers imploded.

Yup, had my audio cut off for about five seconds during chapter 12 which happened twice. Encountered numerous other bugs too, the weirdest one was all the textures disappearing and glitching through a staircase to my death at the end of chapter 2. And one hard lockup in a later chapter.

lol just when I thought this game's gameplay can't get any worse

Spam grenade launcher from away, really? I know even know whether it is shooting from, boom, dead

And everytime the nades hit me, I become exposed even though it still shows that I am behind a rock

lol

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Holy shit this game. Hate to be that guy but I think there's a new candidate for the "game as art" campaign. Amazing.

Finished at 9:58 with an 1:22 spent standing still. 72 out of 100 treasures.

Why is this game art? It's beautiful, but the mechanics don't meld with the themes in any particularly special way. I think if you want games to be art, they should be art in a way that is different from the way movies are art, and this game, at best, seems to be getting closer to games being movies.

BeautifulMemory said:
lol just when I thought this game's gameplay can't get any worse

Spam grenade launcher from away, really?

And everytime the nades hit me, I become exposed even though it still shows that I am behind a rock

lol

I have to say, after my first playthrough I have a really negative impression of the combat design. I was constantly getting attacked from off-screen by shotguns and grenades.

Some people used to complain about the previous Uncharted games, saying enemies spawn behind you and you have no way of anticipating this, and I always thought they were overstating it quite a bit. But in this game, Naughty Dog made those dreams a reality.

Also, especially in the last 3rd of the game or so, I never know whether the game wants me to stay in cover (as might be surmised from the accurate and dangerous enemy fire from every direction) or whether they want me to run all over the combat area, despite not knowing who I might run into (as is implied by the placement of good weapons on the other side of the battlefield).

Sometimes I even DID wish for a crouch button, as the infamous AV Club reviewer noted, because I'd try to get into low cover but it would stick to the tall cover right next to it, leaving me standing in the way of gunfire.

DryvBy

I haven't been keeping up. Is there an aiming fix out there yet? It's super ridiculous to get a good shot off than the "spray and pray" method.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Why is this game art? It's beautiful, but the mechanics don't meld with the themes in any particularly special way. I think if you want games to be art, they should be art in a way that is different from the way movies are art, and this game, at best, seems to be getting closer to games being movies.

Chapter 18 is kinda like art. Cause it's awesome.

DryvBy2 said:
I haven't been keeping up. Is there an aiming fix out there yet? It's super ridiculous to get a good shot off than the "spray and pray" method.

Patch is coming. Aiming is not that bad. It is problematic, but people have already platinumed the game

DryvBy

BeautifulMemory said:
Patch is coming. Aiming is not that bad. It is problematic, but people have already platinumed the game

Coming from MP, it is. It's not impossible, but it feels really stiff. This has been the first day I've had to play SP since it came out. Still, I'm enjoying the crap out of the story/characters as usual.

WebScud

BeautifulMemory said:
I got the game on the 27th and earned my platinum on the 1st after 25 hours of play time.

I only thought, "Hmm, this feels tougher than it should be" when going for five headshots in a row. Honestly, I didn't think it was the controls -- I just thought it was me.

RDreamer

Hah!
Just watched the scenes with Syria again, and from what I saw Talbot gets shot in the chest where a bullet proof vest would surely stop things, and you see him bend over Cutter to take the thing. With a slight of hand he could have placed the card on him. I bet when he moves over to whisper to Marlowe that he's telling her he placed the card on him.

Nearing the end of my second playthrough. Absolutley loving it. Better second time through, still not quite up there with UC2 but comes very close. First time through I played normal and it was a fair challenge with some frustration toward the end. Playing on Easy this time to treasure / trophy hunt, and gunplay feels much better, enemies are no longer bullet sponges - I normally turn my nose up at 'easy modes' but the game seems to benefit from it in this case, makes for a more fluent and cinematic experience when the screen isn't constantly changing black and white and you're not getting stuck at certain points for 10-15 minutes at a time.

Completley fine with the shooting controls now as well, really got to grips with them and they seem quite natural at this point.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
BeautifulMemory said:
I managed to headshot a sniper with a pistol in the rusty shipyard. Maybe I'm missing the comparison because ADS is so damn useless in multiplayer.

Finished the game. I have to say, overall, Uncharted 3> Uncharted 2.

The story and characters, set pieces environments, ending, combat...almost everything is better, IMO. Graphics are the best on consoles.

The only problems I have with Uncharted 3 that I also thought Uncharted 2 handled better:

-AI/enemy design
-encounter scenarios/design
-"flow" of the game...wasn't quite as seamless as Uncharted 2.

There are MULTIPLE parts of this game that makes Uncharted 2's best part, the train sequence, look like a joke.

My GOTY.

gameplay really needs a tweak at this point. It is so basic, and enemies are not "hard" it's just the situation you are thrown in are cheap. And we have already talked about melee

UC2 as a whole comes off better in my opinion. I don't know why but the the focus on just Drake and
Sully
really left me desire for more...I felt kind of alone as Drake in this game, whereas last game I had Chloe, Elena, the guy I had to help carrying while getting shot in the run, the whole fucking village, etc.

LightOfTruth said:
There are MULTIPLE parts of this game that makes Uncharted 2's best part, the train sequence, look like a joke.

I wouldn't go that far, but the set pieces are definatley more elaborate and graphically intense. The train sequence and helicopter battle in UC2 are still on a similar level though.

StuBurns

Banned
I always thought the train in UC2 sucked, I never got the love for it, other than it's technically impressive. The actual gameplay there was really weak I think.

Net_Wrecker said:
There's a track in multiplayer that sounds a LOT like something out of the Bully OST. I luvs its.

The music in MP is fantastic.

StuBurns said:
I always thought the train in UC2 sucked, I never got the love for it, other than it's technically impressive. The actual gameplay there was really weak I think.

Whaaaaa...Now I have heard it all.

StuBurns said:

I personally think even the more impressive setpieces in UC3 have worse gameplay than the train sequence.

patsu

The gameplay issue is independent of the set pieces. I suspect if they tone down the aggressiveness and make melee shorter and less sticky, it will play better than U2.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm on Chapter 20 now, so close to the end. Unless there's some miraculously incredible final there's no way in hell this game is better than Uncharted 2 for me.

Oh, and to add to the list of "why the fuck is this happening?" complaints, the shoulder switching; why does it reset my choice after I exit aiming? I could be completely wrong about this, but I could have sworn that in both Uncharted and Uncharted 2 when you switch shoulder it stays that way until you switch back, or until the perspective is forced from the cover you're firing from. In Uncharted 3 if you switch shoulder and stop aiming the gun, it automatically switches back to the normal perspective. Very weird.

StuBurns said:

The train sucked ass. It was a nice technology piece (streaming environments), and a cool gimmick at first, but dragged on way too fucking long and ultimately was a glorified corridor run. Uncharted 2 has tons of better player moments, but people seem to gravitate towards the goddamn train for some reason.

StuBurns

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
Whaaaaa...Now I have heard it all.
There's nothing to it, it has the horizontal options of a Crash Bandicoot level. And that random fucking guy with crazy health is moronic.

It's by far the worst part of the game. There's a great snowfield encounter just after it to wash away the ass luckily.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The chateu is the only one I was truly impressed by, up to chapter 20 so far. That entire chapter in general was the highlight pretty much.

EatChildren said:
I'm on Chapter 20 now, so close to the end. Unless there's some miraculously incredible final there's no way in hell this game is better than Uncharted 2 for me.

Oh, and to add to the list of "why the fuck is this happening?" complaints, the shoulder switching; why does it reset my choice after I exit aiming? I could be completely wrong about this, but I could have sworn that in both Uncharted and Uncharted 2 when you switch shoulder it stays that way until you switch back, or until the perspective is forced from the cover you're firing from. In Uncharted 3 if you switch shoulder and stop aiming the gun, it automatically switches back to the normal perspective. Very weird.

Uncharted 2 had the same thing. Shoulder switching was never permanent like MGS4/MGO

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
BeautifulMemory said:
Uncharted 2 had the same thing. Shoulder switching was never permanent like MGS4/MGO

Wow. I never noticed it Uncharted 2.

Appollowexx said:
I wouldn't go that far, but the set pieces are definatley more elaborate and graphically intense. The train sequence and helicopter battle in UC2 are still on a similar level though.

I would disagree with the helicopter battle and I would point out the ship level, airplane level, and the desert as examples of of just how far ND has come from the train level in Uncharted 2.

Also about melee (forgot to mention it):

I think the hate for it is being overblown. Drake isn't Batman. He shouldn't take be able to beat dudes in the same style as Batman. I think in terms of style ND got it right. It feels improvised, desperate, and just plays the kind of way Drake should fight. That said, even though I really like it, it could definitely have used some tweaking so that it "flows" better (making it easier to tell what you moves you will do and how you pull them off) in addition to adopting a different way of countering/dodging--that part I wouldn't mind ND lifting from Batman.

Puzzles:
I actually enjoyed them in this game and they arent boring like in Uncharted 2. This game shows that ND gets them. They are 1000x better here.

Pacing may be superior in Uncharted 2 but in the individual aspects of the gameplay are definitely superior in Uncharted 3. But ND fucked up encounter design/enemies/AI. The game would have been even so much better. They got that right in Uncharted 2 and I dont understand wtf happened.

patsu

ViewtifulJC said:
Cargo plane comes to mind

Cargo plane segment is too short. The combat before the plane is more interesting.

The chase scene in U3 is better than the one in U2.

I don't like
Nate's long hallucination run and the long desert walk
though.

patsu said:
Cargo plane segment is too short. The combat before the plane is more interesting.

The chase scene is U3 is better than the one in U2.

I don't like
Nate's long hallucination run and the long desert walk
though.

I hated the spoiler part. Hated it. Thank for enemy variation, but come the fuck on

I think the hate for it is being overblown. Drake isn't Batman. He shouldn't take be able to beat dudes in the same style as Batman. I think in terms of style ND got it right. It feels improvised, desperate, and just plays the kind of way Drake should fight. That said, even though I really like it, it could definitely have used some tweaking so that it "flows" better (making it easier to tell what you moves you will do and how you pull them off) in addition to adopting a different way of countering/dodging--that part I wouldn't mind ND lifting from Batman.

You are absolute right about how Drake shouldn't be played as Batman. Well, problem is 1) the very first fight gave that impression while did not have as fluidity; 2) all the melee fights drag on too long, and you end up getting shot at; 3) while there are different things you can do against normal enemies, against bigger ones it's scripted - nothing you do is different, it is just a mass of QTE that you either press triangle and circle. You never really have any melee move --- and that annoys me

BeautifulMemory said:
I hated the spoiler part. Hated it. Thank for enemy variation, but come the fuck on
I thought it was great, you still get the
enemy twist at the end
, but it's less frustrating and can be explained
with a simple hallucination.

All in all UC3 had some frustrating parts but the ending was much less frustrating that UC2.

upJTboogie said:
I thought it was great, you still get the
enemy twist at the end
, but it's less frustrating and can be explained
with a simple hallucination.

Well....I supposed if you put it that way then I have to ask myself do I like UC1/2 enemy surprise more than this one. Maybe it's my habit from playing and sucking at fighting games, but everytime I see enemies that have both
teleport and fireball
and I have guns that I have been using for the past 5 hours...it rages me

KingK said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGuS8gjX5Kk

Taped a bit of the A.I. here, surrounded by 4 enemies. It happened to me countless times, and I'm only in chapter 9. Most enemies attacks are triggered only if you move or do something, which to me feels heavily scripted. I don't remember being in this kind of situation in Uncharted 2. It really makes the shooting sequences extremely shallow and non-challenging. And some of them just pass right next to you in circle, only to go hide behind a block somewhere.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
BeautifulMemory said:
Well....I supposed if you put it that way then I have to ask myself do I like UC1/2 enemy surprise more than this one. Maybe it's my habit from playing and sucking at fighting games, but everytime I see enemies that have both
teleport and fireball
and I have guns that I have been using for the past 5 hours...it rages me
There are tons of Tau Snipers in that section. Two headshots or 3 bodyshots will kill them.

Anteater

ok I just cleared the
boat graveyard
in 2 tries on crushing (it was kind of chaotic for me on hard and took me quite a few tries), there's something weird about the checkpoint:

What I did was go right, dragged everyone in the way into the water, stealth killed the ones that's in my way and that's when I got spotted, I ran up to the turret area, killed the dudes there, and I stayed there and waited for the losers to approach me and I killed them with the turret or shotgun in the face until they're all dead. Then I killed the grenade launcher dudes on the top and proceed to the ladder that leads to the exit, I died there because I thought I was done and the 3 snipers spawned :lol, the checkpoint spawned me underneath the ladder with all enemies dead, and when I climb up the ladder, the snipers spawned, and I killed them and finished it.

This is obviously different than my first run when I went left at the beginning, got spotted, died, and checkpoint spawned me near the ladder on the boat with everyone in alert. So there you go, that part was pretty easy if you did it the "right" way by killing everything and get to the checkpoint. I don't know if the checkpoint is based on the location you're at or the amount of enemies you killed but yea, in my first run, I only killed 1 dude, swam to the back, died and everyone kind of respawned and I had to rambo them, fuck that shit.

edit: oops forgot to mention what I found "weird" about the checkpoint,
my first death on crushing was when I proceed right, killed 3 duders, got spotted and died, but it respawned me at the beginning instead of the middle of the boat like my first run

RoboPlato said:
There are tons of Tau Snipers in that section. Two headshots or 3 bodyshots will kill them.

I had trouble getting to them because I was getting shot and getting at least one enemy rushing me with a shotgun. And you know Tau Snipers have low ammo count

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
BeautifulMemory said:
I had trouble getting to them because I was getting shot and getting at least one enemy rushing me with a shotgun. And you know Tau Snipers have low ammo count
Maybe I was just lucky with them. I had pretty much full ammo for it the whole time. There are quite a few RPGs too.

Tom Penny

Just finished. Very good game. It wasn't as good as UC2 IMO. I prefer action so the beginning didn't wow me enough to put it at UC2 level.

RoboPlato said:
Maybe I was just lucky with them. I had pretty much full ammo for it the whole time. There are quite a few RPGs too.

lol what? I didn't see any RPG...maybe it also didn't help that I died and had to respawn --- as that put me in a different situation than if I didn't die

Top Bottom