• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

UrbanRats

bigben85 said:
got to desert village. Has been an amazing and intense game thus far.
I play and finished UC1, UC2 (multiple times) and while it could be true that the aiming in UC3 is different than in UC2, I didn't notice it. It never bothered and I could aim just fine during this whole time. I am not sure why it needs to be blown out of water like some people do...

Also, while some may not like some combat scenarios or the melee fights, I enjoyed them all even though I had many deaths as well. It's still been fun even when at times it is frustrating. The auto save usually gets me back to where I died so that helps.
To me it was painfully obvious, infact, it's night and day.
It's not like i say it to be an asshole or anything, i'd LOVE to enjoy the game i've spent money on (and i love Uncharted 2 a lot) but i just can't get into the gunplay, it's so awful to me.
Playing the co-op just underlined the thing more, i can't understand for the life of me, how people can be fine with it, but i having a few friends with such an opinion, i just accept the notion, lol.
To each his own, i guess.

Teknoman

wrighty86 said:
I repeat, can u clear the
ship grave yard
level? It felt like an endless amount of enemies

If you mean clear out everyone like Stuburns said, then yeah you can.

Enemies dont respawn or come in waves until you hit a point. There might be reinforcements waiting around the corner, but take them down and move around when you can, and you'll make it out fine.

Also I find myself wanting to get into fist fights, especially when you end up smacking someone upside the head with their own gun, and then taking down two others with that same gun.

wrighty86

Neo Member
I think the
desert
level cud b my favorite of the series...I really felt 4 Drake in tht level. Also, ive not experienced anything like the
cruise
level in my life...breath taking.

Dunno whether this is a bad or gd thing but I preferd playing U3 more than playing it...cliche but best action adventure story ive seen/experienced in a long while.

Glassboy

People are hating on the train level in uncharted 2? I thought that was the highlight of the game. Easily one of the most impressive levels I have ever experienced in a video game. UC3 has a couple moments that beat it though.

gdt

My god, the KAL is so ridiculously broken in MP. Get in semi close and it's an instant kill. Combined with the full movement sprinting....

I'm now level 31, so I suspect I'll be seeing higher level players using that gun a lot more now...

ND needs to nerf that gun asap.

jett

D-Member
Teknoman said:
Also I find myself wanting to get into fist fights, especially when you end up smacking someone upside the head with their own gun, and then taking down two others with that same gun.

Engaging in melee is worth it if only to see the animations, heh

uncharted3mylg.gif

uncharted3punch8umi.gif

uncharted3riflequxo.gif

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
BruceLeeRoy said:
What a bitch. Ha you know I love ya Jubei.

what?? Sorry not everyone can be an expert crushing only gamer. Normal on uncharted 1 and 2 were not as bad as 3.

UrbanRats said:
To me it was painfully obvious, infact, it's night and day.
It's not like i say it to be an asshole or anything, i'd LOVE to enjoy the game i've spent money on (and i love Uncharted 2 a lot) but i just can't get into the gunplay, it's so awful to me.
Playing the co-op just underlined the thing more, i can't understand for the life of me, how people can be fine with it, but i having a few friends with such an opinion, i just accept the notion, lol.
To each his own, i guess.

I know how you feel.

Firestorm

Chapter 16
I don't usually like to post in these threads until done but need to vent at how fucking terrible this firefight is. Goddammit. Who designed this frustrating pile of turd :(

Everdred

Beat the singleplayer over the weekend. I would put it even with Uncharted 1 and 2 being the best game in the series. Really love a lot of the animation transitions and really appreciate some of the technical work they have done with the engine. I don't think people fully understand the programming it took to do some of these levels. Great work Naughty Dog.

jett said:
Engaging in melee is worth it if only to see the animations, heh

uncharted3riflequxo.gif
So good, easily my favorite. They can definitely expand a bit on the melee in the next game though, make is so he has a chance at a group of armed enemies. They don't need to go Batman deep because it's not the focus but they can add a few things like kicking, throwing dirt in the eyes and grabbing.

gdt

Oh and they should stop playing trailers of the game on Uncharted TV, we already own it! Showcase some more awesome kills.

I just don't understand why it frustrates you guys so much your like "AHHHH FFF IT!!!!"
Its challenging but its never cheap. Every combat scenario gives you everything you need to beat it with no problems. I would say 90% of the reason you guys are dying so much is your not moving around. If you moved around at all you would be like "Oh hey a rocket launcher. Oh hey a grenade launcher, grenades....ect."

neojubei

Lightning said:
You're almost finished.... you shouldn't give up on it.

I've been through 3 gun battles back to back I am exhausted now. I'm tired of fighting with Drake to move or to stop fighting some guy when bullets are flying over the place. Melee QTE should be reserved for sub-boss battles. Doing a long fight when everyone is shooting is crap. The slow motion press Triangle crap needs to die a slow death. I don't believe Naughty Dog play tested this game.

BruceLeeRoy said:
I just don't understand why it frustrates you guys so much your like "AHHHH FFF IT!!!!"
Its challenging but its never cheap. Every combat scenario gives you everything you need to beat it with no problems. I would say 90% of the reason you guys are dying so much is your not moving around. If you moved around at all you would be like "Oh hey a rocket launcher. Oh hey a grenade launcher, grenades....ect."

Are you kidding me? its like whole armies are swarming the area and if u move you die. I go one way and get shot up in the back when trying to aim at the guy in front of me. Or Drake wants to melee with some guy and everyone shoots me dead. no this is not fun.

At the start of the second gun battle I cheated. I backed up so much that the bad guys seems to hit an invisible wall and they kept throwing grenades on each other, which didn't kill him only hurt them.

Lightning

Banned
Hardest section of the game for me?
Sandstorm gun fight in Chapter 20. That shit was just straight cheap. From the gun turrents, to the snipers, to the rocket launchers, to the fact that I found it hard to see the enemies yet they could see me perfectly....
I died a lot there.... but I still enjoyed it.

neojubei said:
I've been through 3 gun battles back to back I am exhausted now. I'm tired of fighting with Drake to move or to stop fighting some guy when bullets are flying over the place. Melee QTE should be reserved for sub-boss battles. Doing a long fight when everyone is shooting is crap. The slow motion press Triangle crap needs to die a slow death. I don't believe Naughty Dog play tested this game.
I did my best to avoid most of those by backing up and shooting whoever I faced with a shotgun. But yeah, I didn't like the constant slow motion triangle. I don't believe that ND didn't give us the option to turn that shit off.

I've played through to almost the end of the game on nothing but hard. A few of the enemy arenas have been tough but I just used those as a way to rack up my weapon kill counts (RPG 30 kills ftw).

I've found the game easier than both U1 and 2 so far.

neojubei said:

The melee can save your ass if you keep two things in mind.
A) Do a double shot with your gun while your running up on him and then punching(Instant down)
B) Engaging them against a wall or hard surface. You will push them against the wall and Insant Down.

Lightning said:
Hardest section of the game for me?
Sandstorm gun fight in Chapter 20. That shit was just straight cheap. From the gun turrents, to the snipers, to the rocket launchers, to the fact that I found it hard to see the enemies yet they could see me perfectly....
I died a lot there.... but I still enjoyed it.

There is a rocket launcher, a grenade launcher, a dragon sniper and grenades galore in that part though.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
upJTboogie said:
So good, easily my favorite. They can definitely expand a bit on the melee in the next game though, make is so he has a chance at a group of armed enemies. They don't need to go Batman deep because it's not the focus but they can add a few things like kicking, throwing dirt in the eyes and grabbing.
And maybe offer ways to ditch the combat quickly. It sucks when you're stuck in a brawl and people are shooting at you. Should be options to skillfully bail out

Firestorm

BruceLeeRoy said:
This is the only section I've found cheap. In the
shipyard, it looked daunting but by moving around and diving away I was able to get through
. In this case I got checkpointed with around 12 bullets in my sidearm, 25 or so in my crappy rifle, and they're just shoving armoured shotgun dudes, snipers, then explosive users at me. There was one lull and it didn't even checkpoint at that time (although it did checkpoint during the first lull).

I quit playing last night because of this. Will try again tonight. Sometimes all it takes is a day break for me.

BocoDragon said:
And maybe offer ways to ditch the combat quickly. It sucks when you're stuck in a brawl and people are shooting at you. Should be options to skillfully bail out

Yeah I died the most from engaging in melee in the wide open and just getting capped in the head. Definitely a issue.

Firestorm said:
shipyard, it looked daunting but by moving around and diving away I was able to get through
. In this case I got checkpointed with around 12 bullets in my sidearm, 25 or so in my crappy rifle, and they're just shoving armoured shotgun dudes, snipers, then explosive users at me. There was one lull and it didn't even checkpoint at that time (although it did checkpoint during the first lull).

I quit playing last night because of this. Will try again tonight. Sometimes all it takes is a day break for me.

See apparently I was lucky and never experienced the checkpoint save leaving me with no ammo or completely in the open. If that was the case than your right that is the very definition of cheap. Thankfully it never happened to me.

JohngPR

BruceLeeRoy said:

Especially the, harder than Uncharted 1 remark. Uncharted 1 was pretty unforgiving, especially on harder difficulties.

JohngPR said:
Especially the, harder than Uncharted 1 remark. Uncharted 1 was pretty unforgiving, especially on harder difficulties.

Wait someone said its harder than UC1. No fing way who said that!
That sewer section on crushing in UC1 took me 2 hours to fricken get past.

Just finished it in two sittings and I really liked it, it was different then what I expected. Only thing that was a problem to me was that this felt a lot harder on normal then U2 normal.

neojubei

Firestorm said:

That's almost every gun battle. I loved the gun battles in uncharted 2, but U3 is just insane with this crap.

neojubei said:
That's almost every gun battle. I loved the gun battles in uncharted 2, but U3 is just insane with this crap.

Its insane for forcing you to move around?

Alright on chapter 12 here is a little tip that will make you feel like a god. Move along the left side of the arena angling toward the dude with the grenade launcher. You can easily stay away from bullet fire and take him out and use that to rain fury on the guys below. After go up to the turret and proceed to easily take everyone out.

neojubei said:
Are you kidding me? its like whole armies are swarming the area and if u move you die. I go one way and get shot up in the back when trying to aim at the guy in front of me. Or Drake wants to melee with some guy and everyone shoots me dead. no this is not fun.

I am starting a online coaching site for UC3.
PM me with donations and soon you will be on your way to god like skill.

(._.)

Banned
I have an online pass for my copy. Have no interest in the online features of this game so I'm looking for a trade.

Anybody have a used copy looking to go online?

jax (old)

Banned
Metal B said:
Really the ending was better? It was the same ending and even the same place (just in the dessert) as UC2, only without a stupid lame end boss. Instead we have a stupid, short, lame and boring end boss.
The bad guys die without being a big threat, the supernatural stuff was just a dream, no interesting aftermath and the whole city gets destroyed because one tower falls down (reminds me of Battlefield Earth).

I agree with this 100%. exactly how I feel

Inanna said:
Lazarevic didn't get much screen time or back story either. That's one of my problems with the Uncharted villains, you barely get to know them or their motives. They're just there for you to fight at the end.

*escuse the spelling :\

oh he was more central because when you did meet him; he was vicious and shot someone in the head. And then he led an assault on the tibet villet. All these made him a more central villain than marlowe.

yurinka said:
-After snow in U2 and sand in U3, in U4 would be fire

I always thought U2 was about water. The water effect was perfected here. That late level bit where you're waist deep in water and its raining and there's thunder; it just looked amazing. everything was glossy wet. Oooo.

neojubei

BruceLeeRoy said:
Its insane for forcing you to move around?

Alright on chapter 12 here is a little tip that will make you feel like a god. Move along the left side of the arena angling toward the dude with the grenade launcher. You can easily stay away from bullet fire and take him out and use that to rain fury on the guys below. After go up to the turret and proceed to easily take everyone out.

We must be playing 2 different games. The second gun battle i died 5 times in the same spot or moving to another piece of cover. If it wasn't for that cheat i probably would still be there.

jax (old)

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
There is a rocket launcher, a grenade launcher, a dragon sniper and grenades galore in that part though.

but there isn't 2 RL? I could only find one so I used it to shoot 1 of the 2 and I then had to cover run to the door

does anyone know how to take out both
tanks in the sandstorm level?

Sallokin

SPZrIl.jpg

Can someone tell me where to find this shirt? Also I feel like I've seen that design before is this a play off of something else?

Teknoman

BocoDragon said:

Something with X to escape I say.

RDreamer

Kerub said:
Huh, getting my assed kicked in
Iram. Those fire demons are really hard.

Tau. Use it. 2 hits and they're dead. Even blind firing with it should do 'em in.

Jax said:
but there isn't 2 RL? I could only find one so I used it to shoot 1 of the 2 and I then had to cover run to the door

Use both RPGs. One on each side of the area.

Lightning

Banned
Jax said:

I used 2 Rocket Launchers.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Its insane with forcing you to move around?

It's insane with shoving every single enemy type into every single post-Chapter 10 firefight because I guess it makes Drake look that much more badass when he's disposed of every bullet sponge this galaxy has to offer. "Moving around" isn't the fix, and certainly doesn't make up for lack of encounter design. It seems like all they did was shove 30 foot soldiers, 2 armored dudes, and and 2 Hammer Bros in every shootout with an RPG or Hammer on the other side of the arena because "that's your reward." Oh and don't forget about the 2 dicks way off in the background with snipers or hammer too...y'know, just for fun.

UC2 stealth tutorial >>> these "move around" levels. Yeah I said it. Thank God for Team Objective.

slade

Just finished the game. It's a 7/10 at best. This series is starting to stagnate. Every game in it has had a crappy boss fight and unfortunately this one is no exception. Whiners about the first two games' supernatural elements will be happy to know that this game only hits you with that for a brief section of the game. Of course that means the monotony of the gunplay isn't broken for long but you get what you asked for. Story and presentation is top notch but they can't carry a videogame by themselves. I'm going back to Arkham City, which is a much better game.

Jax said:

There is a rocket launcher and Hammer on top of two buildings to the left.

neojubei

Jax said:

Yup with that i am done with U3 for the weekend. I do not look forward to playing that.

slade said:
Just finished the game. It's a 7/10 at best. This series is starting to stagnate. Every game in it has had a crappy boss fight and unfortunately this one is no exception. Whiners about the first two games' supernatural elements will be happy to know that this game only hits you with that for a brief section of the game. Of course that means the monotony of the gunplay isn't broken for long but you get what you asked for. Story and presentation is top notch but they can't carry a videogame by themselves. I'm going back to Arkham City, which is a much better game.

If someone told me i would like Arkham City more than uncharted 3 before playing U3 I would not believe them. Now I will have to agree with you.

Hixx

Jax said:

theres the rocket launcher on the right hand structure and a Grenade Launcher on the left hand building, takes 3 or 4 shells but it does the job if you can't find the 2nd RL like I didn't.

Top Bottom