• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Darknessbear said:
Lol, how spoiled are we as gamers - that we are now calling this unpolished. Back in the day, unpolished meant you could barely make it through, with the unpassable glitches and frequent crashing.

I weep for everyone ;-;

I only had one glitch at chapter 10... system locked up. But otherwise, nothing. People were complaining about UC2 glitches too but that game never bugged out for me either.

RDreamer

UrbanRats said:
I think compared to Uncharted 2.
It felt less polished to me(found more bugs and some crashes), but far from unpolished.

Sure, I'll give that it's a bit less polished than 2, but they added a bunch of new things to the game on top of what was all there in 2, and development time was cut a bit, so a a wonky thing happening once in a while is just going to happen. I wouldn't call this unpolished, though. Not even close.

I ran into no bugs in this game at all. None. I ran into one bug in each of 1 and 2, though (freezing bug that everyone knows about in 2, and another freezing bug that I think was pretty common in 1 both near the end)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
RDreamer said:
Sure, I'll give that it's a bit less polished than 2, but they added a bunch of new things to the game on top of what was all there in 2, and development time was cut a bit, so a a wonky thing happening once in a while is just going to happen. I wouldn't call this unpolished, though. Not even close.

I ran into no bugs in this game at all. None. I ran into one bug in each of 1 and 2, though (freezing bug that everyone knows about in 2, and another freezing bug that I think was pretty common in 1 both near the end)

Weren't UC2 and 3 both developed in two year cycles?

for the next Uncharted, I really hope they expand more on the stealth part, not force a checkpoint where you can't try stealth again, and also adding stuff like caution/alert mode to enemy ai (like mgs), and the chance to go back to undetectable if you hide long enough, I also want ability to throw rocks or something to use sound as distraction.

through the whole game, there's only one part where I manage to clear out the whole enemies with stealth, it's the night scene before you got into plane, even then I have to use grenads to take out the last 2 enemies standing together. if I can lure them out using noises etc to separate them, that'd would be much better.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Lightning said:
Yeah, see that is the part I don't understand because I found that section quite easy, didn't die once, when compared to the
sandstorm
battle where I died multiple times.

In saying that, it was not that hard. I need to replay that level anyway because I am missing some treasures from that chapter. I have 84 at the moment.
The ballroom bit was brutal for me on Crushing. the ship graveyard bit is easy if you just sneak past most enemies and sneak kill the guy on the turret and let them come to you one by one, and pick off enemies at distance with turret. But the ballroom bit has all those enemies thrown at you with little to no cover!! I also found the ghost town bit quite difficult as well.

RDreamer

Kagari said:

Hmm. I suppose you're correct. I thought I heard it was shorter or something. Probably wrong though. Either way, when you're developing a game with a scope like this and adding in a lot more systems and things than the last game, you're going to run into some bugs here and there. A scattered few bugs that don't really impede progress or anything don't make it unpolished, especially when quite a few people can get through without seeing any. I didn't see any, and I know the friends I had that played didn't encounter any.

Kagari said:

well the scope in U3 is bigger than U2, there's more variety to it as well, and there's quite a bit of chase sequence in U3, and that always means spending a lot of time making the level that is only playable for a few minutes at most.

I think in terms of asset creation, U3 have way more stuff in it than U2. and they also expand on the multiplayer.

RDreamer said:

Yea totally agree with this. I think ND went a little crazy adding new simulations, U2 was already pushing it in terms of all the crazy ass things they were trying. Like, WHO doesn't hand animate a boat rocking back and forward?! REALLY.

the only unpolished part in this game was the story and the weaksauce last boss, otherwise it's very good.

but it felt too easy on hard mode, hopefully the game pushes me on crushing, which i'm gonna start today.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Callibretto said:
well the scope in U3 is bigger than U2, there's more variety to it as well, and there's quite a bit of chase sequence in U3, and that always means spending a lot of time making the level that is only playable for a few minutes at most.

I think in terms of asset creation, U3 have way more stuff in it than U2. and they also expand on the multiplayer.

Hmm, I suppose. Maybe ND just need more powerful hardware at this point as well.

BruceLeeRoy said:
See and I read your post and honestly can't imagine how your having that much trouble it truly flabbergasts me. I am going through it right now on crushing and I have never experienced when moment like your describing. When I come into a area and I see there are snipers and grenaders that are going to make it difficult for me to move around I take them out first its just a no brainer.

I've not once said it was hard, or that I was having difficulties, but I certainly wasn't having fun. Hell I never even called it cheap because aside from 2 or 3 areas where the checkpoints can screw you over, this isn't my definition of cheap. It IS my definition of a shooting gallery though. There are certain games where you can tell the dev took time and poured thought into every enemy encounter to keep the game fresh. This ain't one of those IMO. Uncharted 2, for the most part, felt way more calculating in its combat pacing. Go pop it in if you think I'm crazy.

If we get an Uncharted 4, I can only pray that ND goes away from the Man vs. Army combat arenas.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Forget Unkarted. I want Naughty Dog to do one last Uncharted 4 for PS3. Either that or a PS4 launch title.

I'd also like a slightly stronger emphasis on story.... more of a big conclusion to the series.

Darknessbear said:
I'm sort of new to this whole, big release on GAF thing. Is it the norm to have such heavy negative posters this early on? I understand wanting to voice everything about the game, the good and the bad. But those that just come here and say 1-2 lines of negative things and leave. I'm guessing I'm alone, but I feel if a game just came out - and a lot of people are enjoying it (yet I did not). I probably wouldn't go in just to slander it. Is this common to GAF with every big release? Or just an internet thing?
Yeah, this is pretty normal. Can't edit for the Skyrim fallout (no pun intended). I want that in my hands now!!!!

hamchan

I prefer the shorter melee in Uncharted 2. UC3 melee just takes too long and gets repetitive, plus enemies can still shoot you while you're doing the animations. Other than that the games are equal in my eyes. Not seeing a lack of polish anywhere.

Replicant

Despite managing to platinum'd both UC1 and UC2, I always find Uncharted enemies to be cheap and nasty. They'll gang up on you, flank you, shoot you with RL from up/above/left/right. And worse of all, the game often won't let you pass a section until you defeat ALL 3 waves of enemies. So if you die in wave 2, off you back to wave 1. It is frustrating and despite getting satisfaction if I manage to defeat them, I'd be lying if throughout the game I didn't utter tens of expletives, cursing the game's unfairness.

So I can understand why some people are frustrated by them, especially if they're new to the series and UC3 is their first intro to the series. So far the firefights (only finished Ch.9) has been manageable but I wouldn't be surprised if it ramps up to the same level of craziness as the sewer stage in UC1 or the courtyard stage and the Church stage in UC2. It's always a good idea to exploit every nook and cranny to your advantage. If you can flee into an area where you can't get flanked, do so. If you see a tight corridor that'd work to your advantage, use it.

leng jai said:
Its usually incessant jizzing for the first few weeks followed by an intense backlash.
Not recently. I chalk it up to this console cycle being so long. The backlash happens almost immediately now.

Augemitbutter said:
the only unpolished part in this game was the story and the weaksauce last boss, otherwise it's very good.

I thought the final boss encounter was the best that they've done. A nice blend of heavy platforming a short fight. It isn't one of the best boss fights ever, but i'd say that it's definitely a step up from Lazarevic and Navarro.

jackdoe

Replicant said:
Despite managing to platinum'd both UC1 and UC2, I always find Uncharted enemies to be cheap and nasty. They'll gang up on you, flank you, shoot you with RL from up/above/left/right. And worse of all, the game often won't let you pass a section until you defeat ALL 3 waves of enemies. So if you die in wave 2, off you back to wave 1. It is frustrating and despite getting satisfaction if I manage to defeat them, I'd be lying if throughout the game I didn't utter tens of expletives, cursing the game's unfairness.

So I can understand why some people are frustrated by them, especially if they're new to the series and UC3 is their first intro to the series. So far the firefights (only finished Ch.9) has been manageable but I wouldn't be surprised if it ramps up to the same level of craziness as the sewer stage in UC1 or the courtyard stage and the Church stage in UC2.
I thought Uncharted 2 was much fairer than Uncharted 1, until you get to Shambala. Especially since there are fewer of those, "We won't actually send out the second wave until you pass this point, so rush forward, hit the switch and rush back to a safe distance" type moments.

Kagari said:
Hmm, I suppose. Maybe ND just need more powerful hardware at this point as well.

I honestly can't think how they can improve Uncharted graphic on ps4 other than upping image quality and frame rate, maybe a few bit more visual/lighting effect and that's it. the lighting and character model in U3 is already really really good.

a couple beef I had with them like Elena face is not technical limitation but stylistic choice by ND. and for a game being criticized for being linear, the actual playing field during gunfight is actually pretty damn big.

jett

D-Member
BocoDragon said:
Forget Unkarted. I want Naughty Dog to do one last Uncharted 4 for PS3. Either that or a PS4 launch title.

I'd also like a slightly stronger emphasis on story.... more of a big conclusion to the series.

I want them to go straight into next-gen. The extra development time can only help, too. We could get Uncharted 4 on PS3 in 2013, or Uncharted 4 on PS4 in 2014. I'll take the PS4 version! ...assuming PS4 launches in 2013.

hamchan said:
I prefer the shorter melee in Uncharted 2. UC3 melee just takes too long and gets repetitive, plus enemies can still shoot you while you're doing the animations. Other than that the games are equal in my eyes. Not seeing a lack of polish anywhere.
Do you want them to lay down there arms like gentlemen while until you finish your fist fight? Of course there going keep shooting you. I can see how you like the other system better. Me, I steel fished them. Thats always quick. Also, you can push them away with the O button and shoot them if you like.

patsu

hamchan said:

Yap, I think they should limit the new melee to only more powerful enemies. The regular ones should keep the old melee system.

Replicant

jackdoe said:
I thought Uncharted 2 was much fairer than Uncharted 1, until you get to Shambala. Especially since there are fewer of those, "We won't actually send out the second wave until you pass this point, so rush forward, hit the switch and rush back to a safe distance" type moments.

I just remember facing against at least 4 laser-gun shooters, tons of thugs with shotguns, and a couple of bomb throwers inside the small confine of the church. That was fucking insane and frustrating because every movement counts, every hit matters. If you fail, you fail the entire scenario and have to repeat the 1st wave. I think you can find my post in the old UC2 thread where I advised someone to run for their lives out of the church the minute the 2nd wave starts because you'd have a better chance surviving out there than inside. And it's not worth dying over 2nd wave and have to repeat the extremely frustrating 1st wave.

burgerdog

Kagari said:
I weep for everyone ;-;

I only had one glitch at chapter 10... system locked up. But otherwise, nothing. People were complaining about UC2 glitches too but that game never bugged out for me either.
Is chapter 10
Yemen?
My game froze there, too.

patsu said:
Yap, I think they should limit the new melee to only more powerful enemies. The regular ones should keep the old melee system.

they should keep the new melee system even on regular enemies, but reduce the number of punches needed to finish them off.

hamchan

Replicant said:

So I can understand why some people are frustrated by them, especially if they're new to the series and UC3 is their first intro to the series. So far the firefights (only finished Ch.9) has been manageable but I wouldn't be surprised if it ramps up to the same level of craziness as the sewer stage in UC1 or the courtyard stage and the Church stage in UC2. It's always a good idea to exploit every nook and cranny to your advantage. If you can flee into an area where you can't get flanked, do so. If you see a tight corridor that'd work to your advantage, use it.
I noticed the checkpointing in UC3 to be far more generous than past games, which is making crushing a bit easier. So if you defeat wave 1 and lose on wave 2 it just starts you off at wave 2 again. The big theatre/stage section of the cruise ship is a good example. I would have thrown my controller at the TV if I had to do every wave again on crushing.

Fletcher

I just finished it and I really didn't care for this game too much. I had a lot of the same problems that people have been stating. From the boat moment on it was a chore just trying to finish the game. Beh.

I will still buy Uncharted 4 day one, though.

I'm not sure if it's already been said, but it seems they had these wow set pieces they wanted to make and just built a story around it and tried to connect them.

jett said:
I want them to go straight into next-gen. The extra development time can only help, too. We could get Uncharted 4 on PS3 in 2013, or Uncharted 4 on PS4 in 2014. I'll take the PS4 version! ...assuming PS4 launches in 2013.

That's the only downside for a PS4 version. It's going to be 3-4 years away from release. But I don't think that there's any doubt that the game will be better if it's on the PS4.

Honestly, like bruceleroy said, its all about prioritizing who you kill first. You gotta take out the biggest threat first. RPG/Grenade Launcher guys first, snipers and rushers next and so on. Also, the guys rushing you can be shot while you are in cover. You will also get murdered if you stay n the same spot. You have to move into other areas and seek cover. Use your grenades when there bunched up. Use power weapons.

Curufinwe

hamchan said:
I noticed the checkpointing in UC3 to be far more generous than past games, which is making crushing a bit easier. So if you defeat wave 1 and lose on wave 2 it just starts you off at wave 2 again. The big theatre/stage section of the cruise ship is a good example. I would have thrown my controller at the TV if I had to do every wave again on crushing.

That's great news. I only beat Crushing on UC2 by using the glitch that allowed cheats like one-hit kills to be enabled even though I hadn't already beaten the game on Crushing. And it was still frustrating at times.

People talking about there being so many bugs and glitches...yikes. Never ran into that kind of stuff in any of the games. The only thing that happens to me is every time I play the first game it freezes on Chapter 17 right when Eddy dies and your being chased by zombies. Which causes me to reset. Every time I play the second game, it freezes when I get to Chapter 25, right after that big fight between Lazaravic's goons and the guardians in the big room. Every time. This is the first Uncharted game that hasn't done any of that for me surprisingly.

ZeroRay

Yeah, the encounter design in this is the worst in the series.

Uncharted 1 was hard as nails but varied things up quite well, with the intensity of the scenarios ramping up naturally as you progress through the game. And the AI was pretty much what they should have used in the third game, if they wanted the player to move around.

Uncharted 2 did the same thing but with better shooting mechanics, arenas, and a better melee system when applied to gun combat. The AI was more reserved and followed stricter rules but the other design elements made up for it.

The snowstorm battle in UC2 still can't be topped; the amazing multilayered design with the wrecked train cars, the total stealth option at the beginning, the gradual increase in danger with the snowstorm getting worse and enemies getting tougher (the game alerted the player when new waves showed up), and a variety of weapons to tackle the situation in the best way you want. Probably my favorite TPS battle ever.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Watched my girlfriend play it for a bit tonight. Is the camera always terrible during 'underwater' segments like the boat graveyard? Yikes.

thcsquad

RDreamer said:
Tau. Use it. 2 hits and they're dead. Even blind firing with it should do 'em in.

Use both RPGs. One on each side of the area.

I don't think I found the second RPG, but had a full clip of grenades which worked for the second one.

Synless

jett said:
I can't even imagine how amazing it would look on PS4...

Atrus

Gold Member
Just finished the game on my first play through on Hard.

Overall, despite it being an excellent game I kind of found it to be the worst of the 3 games when it comes to that sense of adventure.

It's got the best puzzles of the 3, is the most challenging of the 3, the best looking, and the most technologically superior, but overall it seems to be lacking a lot of that atmosphere of being in a faraway place that few have ever been to.

It starts off more slowly and it takes a while before you get to that 'Wish I was there' type setting. Uncharted 1 spent most of it's time in that far out location, Uncharted 2 a little less, and Uncharted 3 due to the many destinations spent even less.

Everything after Drake takes a nap is excellent but before that it's neither here nor there. The character ensemble is a compliment to Uncharted 2 but because of that, Elena and Chloe are under served. The villain is also fairly forgettable.

The desert sequence also uses a lot of fade to white transitions that made it feel disjointed, whereas different or multiple camera angles and shots could have been used instead of suddenly day, suddenly night, suddenly day.

I also see what everyone is talking about with the aiming in single player.

The only game that looks comparable would likely be The Witcher 2, but this game is doing things no other game does in one package. Oddly enough, while I was impressed with the procedural ocean part, I wasn't really too wrapped up in it from a story standpoint since it didn't really impact the main story at all.

Oh and the full on rush by the enemies detracts from the overall aesthetic of the game. I liked the slower approach in Uncharted 1 & 2 which dropped in enemies from different angles to force use of the environment from different perspectives. In 3, running at you like zealots just makes you ignore the environment forces you to bunker in to one area.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
I really glad I have the habit of alternating between hard saves:
If an autosave overwrites your most recent hard save in the middle of the caravan attack, you are fucked. The game respawns you on a horse, but no Saleem on the other horse, and no caravans whatsoever.

They may want to patch in a dedicated autosave slot rather than constantly overwriting the hard save. I see people getting boned hard on that one. Thankfully, I managed to avoid the problem. Wish I had the same luck with Deus Ex Human Revolution. :-\

Synless

I have played almost every big release this year across all systems and after letting the hype die down and letting the game sink in. I can confidently say this game is better than all of them.

tigerin

just beat the game. the last few chapters were a tortured to get through. enemies were annoying and......where is the spoiler button? i can't find it on here.

Mooreberg said:
I really glad I have the habit of alternating between hard saves:
If an autosave overwrites your most recent hard save in the middle of the caravan attack, you are fucked. The game respawns you on a horse, but no Saleem on the other horse, and no caravans whatsoever.

They may want to patch in a dedicated autosave slot rather than constantly overwriting the hard save. I see people getting boned hard on that one. Thankfully, I managed to avoid the problem. Wish I had the same luck with Deus Ex Human Revolution. :-\
What?

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Synless said:
I have played almost every big release this year across all systems and after letting the hype die down and letting the game sink in. I can confidently say this game is better than all of them.
I'm loving it too but I'm starting to get amazed by how many great games have potentially progress killing glitches. Wouldn't be as big a deal here since you can pick a chapter from the menu and you're not upgrading the character or anything, but geez.

tigerin said:
just beat the game. the last few chapters were a tortured to get through. enemies were annoying and......where is the spoiler button? i can't find it on here.
[ spoiler] your text [/ spoiler] (remove the spaces)

cjtiger300 said:
The game creates an autosave about halfway through that sequence. When loaded, it is just Drake riding on a horse through the desert. Endlessly.

tigerin

Synless said:

i'm starting to think batman arkham city is better.

Top Bottom