• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Wow, I've never seen do much whining in a thread about a game being hard. Ugh, now I see why devs hand hold so much. The AI is smart and aggressive, how is that a bad thing? Also, power weapons are your friends. Tau Sniper, grenade launcher, rpg, and magnums are all over the place. Also, grenades are your friend too. I guess I'm a Uncharted badass too. I finished my first play though with 149 headshots, but I do agree that the controls feel slightly off. To me the biggest issues is the crazy difference between aiming in SP and MP. That threw me off when I first started MP, but I adjusted. They gotta fix that.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
ChocolateCupcakes said:
Yeah, I know how you feel but nothing else really compared to the
shipwreck
part.

Is that after the settlement? if so then i know i am putting this game away this weekend

jax (old)

Banned
i actually had no issues with any of the gunfights in the game. except for the
convoy+horses where I couldn't shoot shit. I guess if I went and jumped onto the convoy and played it different; I wouldn't be complaining - but I did it all on horse ... which a) showcases that you can play it both ways --- good!
I played on hard and you know what; haters be damned. I love a hard game. The time between death and restart is like 1 nanosecond anyhow so... who cares. I even loved how in the final
crumbling tower sequence
they basically mixed it up a little more by having everything
shake
so your reticle is going all over. Loved it

love a challenge!!!

Balphon

Sallokin said:
Can someone tell me where to find this shirt? Also I feel like I've seen that design before is this a play off of something else?

You could put in a custom order here, but cost may be prohibitive.

As for where it came from, beats me.

UrbanRats

slade said:
Just finished the game. It's a 7/10 at best. This series is starting to stagnate. Every game in it has had a crappy boss fight and unfortunately this one is no exception. Whiners about the first two games' supernatural elements will be happy to know that this game only hits you with that for a brief section of the game. Of course that means the monotony of the gunplay isn't broken for long but you get what you asked for. Story and presentation is top notch but they can't carry a videogame by themselves. I'm going back to Arkham City, which is a much better game.
I'm not as bitter towards the game, but yeah, i'm very surprised in finding out i'm a bit disappointed in it.
Strange thing, i finished it yesterday and i was pretty happy with it, but the interest quickly decreased more and more and, today, i wanted to put in Uncharted 2 and play that one instead.
Infact, i loved Uncharted 2, while only liked Uncharted 3.

jett

D-Member
UrbanRats said:
So ehm.. how do i use custom skins in local splitscreen arena? I can customize a character, but the second player keeps getting my clone (or i keep getting his, depending on who start the match).
How does this work?

He can customize his character by clicking on profile with his controller.

JohngPR

BruceLeeRoy said:
Wait someone said its harder than UC1. No fing way who said that!
That sewer section on crushing in UC1 took me 2 hours to fricken get past.

neojubei said:
what?? Sorry not everyone can be an expert crushing only gamer. Normal on uncharted 1 and 2 were not as bad as 3.

I know how you feel.

:p

The sewer part was brutal. The one thing I'm pissed off at is that I "platinum'd" Uncharted 1 pre-trophies. I don't think I have the will to beat that game on Crushing again. :p

Lightning

Banned
ChocolateCupcakes said:
Yeah, I know how you feel but nothing else really compared to the
shipwreck
part.
Yeah, see that is the part I don't understand because I found that section quite easy, didn't die once, when compared to the
sandstorm
battle where I died multiple times.

In saying that, it was not that hard. I need to replay that level anyway because I am missing some treasures from that chapter. I have 84 at the moment.

UrbanRats

jett said:
He can customize his character by clicking on profile with his controller.
And he did, but when i exit and go to "start game" (or something like that) we gives us my character and basically a clone of that (instead of his skin).
If HE enters the "start game" thing, it gives us his skin.
Can't we have both our custom skins? We can if we use the online multiplayer feature (connecting the 2p to a second account) but can't in the offline splitscreen, which uses a different profile+guest.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
BruceLeeRoy said:
I just don't understand why it frustrates you guys so much your like "AHHHH FFF IT!!!!"
Its challenging but its never cheap. Every combat scenario gives you everything you need to beat it with no problems. I would say 90% of the reason you guys are dying so much is your not moving around. If you moved around at all you would be like "Oh hey a rocket launcher. Oh hey a grenade launcher, grenades....ect."
No, its really not. Most of the sections people refer to are Arena areas. Have to clear some 3 waves before the script allows you to advance. Enemies will spawn where you aren't, or on occasion where you are because you ran into the area where they are spawning at before they do.

This isn't too much of a problem outside of the shitactular AI. They do not respond to bullets nor do they change pathing. If they want to go to the cover to the left of you, they'll go. Even if you hit them with 2 or 3 shots on the way. Nor will they shoot on the way. Or find cover if being shot at. They'll head exactly there. Stop, and slowly turn around to fire where ever you are.

Now the fun thing is that even if I move prior to this. They'll still go there and do the exact same thing even if you adjust. They are very automated in their actions and once you figure out, extremely easy to exploit. I said it before, I could just sit behind the same damn pillar and throw their own grenades back at them, till anyone meant to move forward were dead. And the ones who refuse to move will still be throwing grenades at me in the same spot they were a minute ago.

Its limited AI. So to make up for it, they'll spam enemies, random spawns in limited space, give them more power weapons with unlimited ammo, etc. They are still dumbass, easily exploitable AI. Similar to COD4's. But the difficulty comes from the quick and easy way to increase it, rather than a good way. Instead of just having a stationary rocket guy on top, with stationary snipers to the side. Why not have them move to try and get an angle on you? Then you wouldn't need 2 plated guys and a few dozen normal guys bum rushing you to keep pressure on. They could do more with less.

Just because you beat it, doesn't mean its good.

leng jai

cjtiger300 said:
Wow, I've never seen do much whining in a thread about a game being hard. Ugh, now I see why devs hand hold so much. The AI is smart and aggressive, how is that a bad thing? Also, power weapons are your friends. Tau Sniper, grenade launcher, rpg, and magnums are all over the place. Also, grenades are your friend too. I guess I'm a Uncharted badass too. I finished my first play though with 149 headshots, but I do agree that the controls feel slightly off. To me the biggest issues is the crazy difference between aiming in SP and MP. That threw me off when I first started MP, but I adjusted. They gotta fix that.

You call rampaging goons who with a propensity to headbutt bullets smart?

Damn, that sewer level in UC1 was horrible.

I died a bunch of times
while trying to escape the pirates in the shipwreck yard and after a cutscene near the end where you start at the bottom of some stairs with 2-3 shotgun guys about to spawn and come down and across from you is a walkway with a grenade launcher dude, a sniper and a regular rifle guy. Just too much too quick, needed to take out the walkway guys quickly before running up the stairs for a one hit takedown on the shotgun guy.

Jax said:
does anyone know how to take out both
tanks in the sandstorm level?
Rocket launcher on the left, then just moved up to the second and threw a few grenades.

Picked up the U3 PS3 bundle today; almost went with the Infamous 2 bundle but so glad I didn't. I am absolutely loving Uncharted 3 at this point.

I can already tell it will be the most appealing story in the series, when it comes to my tastes at least. Just got to Chapter 8 I believe...

Lightning said:
Yeah, see that is the part I don't understand because I found that section quite easy, didn't die once, when compared to the
sandstrom
battle where I died multiple times.

In saying that, it was not that hard. I need to replay that level anyway because I am missing some treasures from that chapter. I have 84 at the moment.
Weird, since I found that level to be one of the easier ones. I think I died twice during that part and that was because I was trying to find the rocket and passed it.
Shipwreck
was just brutal for me, I died a lot. Eventually I ended up swimming to the last part and finding the hammer and sniper there made it easier but even then it wasn't a cakewalk.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
slade said:
Just finished the game. It's a 7/10 at best. This series is starting to stagnate. Every game in it has had a crappy boss fight and unfortunately this one is no exception. Whiners about the first two games' supernatural elements will be happy to know that this game only hits you with that for a brief section of the game. Of course that means the monotony of the gunplay isn't broken for long but you get what you asked for. Story and presentation is top notch but they can't carry a videogame by themselves. I'm going back to Arkham City, which is a much better game.

I disagree. It's not like we're getting an Uncharted game every single year like some other unnamed franchises.

Net_Wrecker said:
It's insane with shoving every single enemy type into every single post-Chapter 10 firefight because I guess it makes Drake look that much more badass when he's disposed of every bullet sponge this galaxy has to offer. "Moving around" isn't the fix, and certainly doesn't make up for lack of encounter design. It seems like all they did was shove 30 foot soldiers, 2 armored dudes, and and 2 Hammer Bros in every shootout with an RPG or Hammer on the other side of the arena because "that's your reward." Oh and don't forget about the 2 dicks way off in the background with snipers or hammer too...y'know, just for fun.

UC2 stealth tutorial >>> these "move around" levels. Yeah I said it. Thank God for Team Objective.

See and I read your post and honestly can't imagine how your having that much trouble it truly flabbergasts me. I am going through it right now on crushing and I have never experienced when moment like your describing. When I come into a area and I see there are snipers and grenaders that are going to make it difficult for me to move around I take them out first its just a no brainer.

Jax said:
i actually had no issues with any of the gunfights in the game. except for the
convoy+horses where I couldn't shoot shit. I guess if I went and jumped onto the convoy and played it different; I wouldn't be complaining - but I did it all on horse ... which a) showcases that you can play it both ways --- good!
I played on hard and you know what; haters be damned. I love a hard game. The time between death and restart is like 1 nanosecond anyhow so... who cares. I even loved how in the final
crumbling tower sequence
they basically mixed it up a little more by having everything
shake
so your reticle is going all over. Loved it

love a challenge!!!

Man props to you dude I never even attempted to do that whole chapter on the
horse. I just would ride from truck to truck.

StuBurns said:
I'm getting pretty tired of people bitching about negative comments. OTs aren't dedicated to jerking off the games, you can state your opinion, positive or negative, the fact someone did it in great detail is hardly a bad thing.

EDIT: That was a mod he ranted at? wow, I admire the stones.
Well, its fair. The game just came out - its like those annoying douche friends you have after you see a great movie and they start criticizing every point. Its just like, give it a rest for a bit - let us revel in the enjoyment before we start dissecting it. And a lot of Neogaffers have that feeling about this forum (since its sometimes hard to get a group of friends to finish a game all at once). And a lot of us have spent good chunk of change on this entertainment and were entertained and would like to high five and talk about their favorite parts.

Honestly, the criticisms are fair and I understand. But I can see why a lot are bothered by them (at this time). But then again, we are on the internet and this is Neogaf; so it comes with the turf.

leng jai said:
Judging by how unpolished UC3 was, it really wouldn't.
Lol, how spoiled are we as gamers - that we are now calling this unpolished. Back in the day, unpolished meant you could barely make it through, with the unpassable glitches and frequent crashing.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
BruceLeeRoy said:
See and I read your post and honestly can't imagine how your having that much trouble it truly flabbergasts me. I am going through it right now on crushing and I have never experienced when moment like your describing. When I come into a area and I see there are snipers and grenaders that are going to make it difficult for me to move around I take them out first its just a no brainer.

To add to that... I don't really play shooters... at all... and didn't have much of an issue with the encounters. I think it's all about, as you said, taking out the enemies that pose the most threat first.

Also... Uncharted 3 is far from "unpolished." It looks and runs better than 99% of games on shelves today.

slade

UrbanRats said:
I'm not as bitter towards the game, but yeah, i'm very surprised in finding out i'm a bit disappointed in it.
Strange thing, i finished it yesterday and i was pretty happy with it, but the interest quickly decreased more and more and, today, i wanted to put in Uncharted 2 and play that one instead.
Infact, i loved Uncharted 2, while only liked Uncharted 3.

Uncharted 2 started to drag for me at the end as well. In fact, the only game in this series I was really happy with was the first one. I really liked the second half of the game and how it just suddenly shifted moods and almost seemed to become a survival horror game. You also couldn't use the same strategy to deal with the infected that you used to deal with the regular enemies. That has been missing in the last two games.

shintoki said:
This isn't too much of a problem outside of the shitactular AI. They do not respond to bullets nor do they change pathing. If they want to go to the cover to the left of you, they'll go. Even if you hit them with 2 or 3 shots on the way. Nor will they shoot on the way. Or find cover if being shot at. They'll head exactly there. Stop, and slowly turn around to fire where ever you are.

This is so true. I noticed that whenever I hit people they just sort of stand there and it makes it confusing since then I start to wonder if I was hitting them or not.

I haven't experienced any glitches or anything. The aiming and lack of motion blur were pretty terrible, but no amount of polish would have helped if ND really wasn't aware.

leng jai said:

I agree it has definite areas that show it was rushed but the overall product is still more well-rounded than any other game I have played this year. Unless of course the aiming killed it for you which I can completely understand feeling that way.

leng jai said:
You call rampaging goons who with a propensity to headbutt bullets smart?
Actually those guys have shotguns most of the time and are thing to get close. They also try to zig zag so they don't get shot. If you talking about the armored guys, heh, they are armored and come straight at you. For me, the screwy controls effected me most with those guys, as it takes a shit ton of bullets if you don't shoot them in the head. Once the controls are fixed, I will have no problem with any of the gun fights. Also, whoever said that the AI doesn't change bass on Whetev you are, you are wrong. They will use different paths based on your location. It's been that way sense the first Uncharted.

icespide

Banned
were people saying there aren't any behind the scenes faturettes? because there definitely are at least after finishing the game. in the campaign menu they are in bonuses -> gallery and there are 4 featurettes

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
leng jai said:

I would not say the game is unpolished, unbalanced yes, but the graphics, set pieces, characters are pretty good.

ChocolateCupcakes said:
This is so true. I noticed that whenever I hit people they just sort of stand there and it makes it confusing since then I start to wonder if I was hitting them or not.

I feel the same way.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
In the area where you
get the Marco Solo trophy, if you try to get out of the pool using the ladder on the right side, Drake will glitch like crazy because you won't be able to climb up successfully.
:lol

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Just finished the game... It was pretty good, but I feel pretty underwhelmed by the whole ending scenario.
I didn't feel like I spent much time exploring the lost city, confronting the villains and gaining insight into their motivations, learning about the people, their secret power, seeing how it inevitably brought the villains down, etc.
it was missing something from the Indiana Jones/Uncharted story formula... Something which I thought U2 nailed.

On my second play through now cleaning up trophies. What an amazing game. The polish, level of detail, graphics, and pacing are still unrivaled by any other game. I understand that people aren't going to enjoy the SP game as much as others, but get out of here with this 7/10 shit. ND is still in another realm when it comes to game design, story telling and detail.

My favorite part of playing a UC game is the cohesion in the SP game. It takes you through these incredible locales and moments so fluidly and regardless of hand holding or game halting gun fights, it always feel rewarding. Fuck the hollywood comparisons, this game is like a brilliant page turning book. Even on my second play through I find it hard to save because I want to hit that next moment.

Haven't even broke the MP or Co-Op seal yet and this game is well over 60$ of enjoyment and entertainment.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I can't believe people are finding this game difficult. :\ It's way too easy compared to Uncharted 1 and 2. It seems like many are playing this game with a negative mindset. The only change here is that the enemies are much aggressive and you can't stay in one place for a long time if they spot you.

jax (old)

Banned
BocoDragon said:
Just finished the game... It was pretty good, but I feel pretty underwhelmed by the whole ending scenario.
I didn't feel like I spent much time exploring the lost city, confronting the villains and gaining insight into their motivations, learning about the people, their secret power, seeing how it inevitably brought the villains down, etc.
it was missing something from the Indiana Jones/Uncharted story formula... Something which I thought U2 nailed.

yeah I kind of agreed. I thought it needed an extra 1-2 chapters in the final area to be honest. The final area was
so fucking ginormous when you saw it and yet somehow you got to marlowe in 4 scenes
. There should have been way more in the
chapters in the Atlantis of the sand - hell even an area where you playing on the periphery of the sandstorm edge

I WANTED MORE.

I'm sort of new to this whole, big release on GAF thing. Is it the norm to have such heavy negative posters this early on? I understand wanting to voice everything about the game, the good and the bad. But those that just come here and say 1-2 lines of negative things and leave. I'm guessing I'm alone, but I feel if a game just came out - and a lot of people are enjoying it (yet I did not). I probably wouldn't go in just to slander it. Is this common to GAF with every big release? Or just an internet thing?

leng jai

SolidSnakex said:
I'd take an unpolished Uncharted over anything else that's been released this year.

Again when I say unpolished its relative. UC2 was amazingly polished and I feel ND dropped the ball this time around in comparison. In my playthrough Elena/Sully got stuck numerous times, sound was cutting out, animations were janky at times and textures didn't took a while a while to pop in. Lack of motion blur and the gimped AA didn't help either I'd imagine cutting the development time in half which exacerbate these problems immensely.

BTW I agree with your statement to a degree.

leng jai

Darknessbear said:
I'm sort of new to this whole, big release on GAF thing. Is it the norm to have such heavy negative posters this early on? I understand wanting to voice everything about the game, the good and the bad. But those that just come here and say 1-2 lines of negative things and leave. I'm guessing I'm alone, but I feel if a game just came out - and a lot of people are enjoying it (yet I did not). I probably wouldn't go in just to slander it. Is this common to GAF with every big release? Or just an internet thing?

Its usually incessant jizzing for the first few weeks followed by an intense backlash.

leng jai said:
Again when I say unpolished its relative. UC2 was amazingly polished and I feel ND dropped the ball this time around in comparison. In my playthrough Elena/Sully got stuck numerous times, sound was cutting out, animations were janky at times and textures didn't took a while a while to pop in. Lack of motion blur and the gimped AA didn't help either I'd imagine cutting the development time in half which exacerbate these problems immensely.

BTW I agree with your statement to a degree.

UC2's RAM overloads or whatever they were (game freezes at beginning of chapter 5 and after the last big fight if you've been playing for a while) were inexcusable.

UrbanRats

RDreamer said:
People are really calling this game unpolished? Really? Hyperbole much?
I think compared to Uncharted 2.
It felt less polished to me(found more bugs and some crashes), but far from unpolished.

beast786

leng jai said:

I would really want to know what you consider a polish game.

3D was breathtaking post chapter 8. Especially the last few chapters of
collapsing building / cinematic overview/desert level

JohngPR

Darknessbear said:
Lol, how spoiled are we as gamers - that we are now calling this unpolished. Back in the day, unpolished meant you could barely make it through, with the unpassable glitches and frequent crashing.

A-fucking-men.

Top Bottom