• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Just finished. Amazing game. The only things I was not particularly fond of was
that Chapter 18 might as well have been a cut scene, and the triple damage threshold fire enemies near the end were weird.

Seemed slightly shorter than Uncharted 2, but there wasn't really a wasted moment either. I think I liked chapters 12 - 17 the best. The environment was completely different, the gun battles seemed the most balanced, and the amount of shifting surroundings and cover was crazy.

jax (old)

Banned
Mr_eX said:
I just finished it. It's an overall great game but the gunplay in it is not good at all. I kind of wish they would have taken the shooting out of the game.
Now. This. You go on my ignore list.kthx.

squidyj

Fletcher said:
Here is the issue with Drake's Deception (and I am just going to talk about the story), it makes no sense (don't read unless you've beaten the game):

The beginning starts with some fun sequences of Drake in London, running around being Drake-y. Then we get the flashback sequences in Columbia where the relationship with Sully is first established. From here we get the sense that this story is going to be about their relationship. The story goes on with typical Drake banter and wit, beginning with the oh-shit-Drakes-not-dead return to present and ending with Drake getting captured by the pirates. So now Drake is on a pirate ship. For some reason.... It would have been ok if we were dealing with any kind of issues or story lines during this non-stop barrage of pirates shooting you, but we're not. The only reason Drake is pursuing the Pirate overlord is because the guy "oh yeah we have Sully" well alright cue 8 billion chapters of technical show piece. Alright moving on. Drake is in the 'Atlantis of the Sands' and is tripping balls because Sully is dead. He flails around the level shooting people and genie-monsters with a dead-sully induced rage. Long story short: the old lady falls into a box of quicksand and her right hand boy-toy shouts angrily. What was on between them? not important. So the dude with the magical voodoo darts has a knife fight with you. Then you and Sully make it out. Then we have this really nice moment about Sully being basically your father (in case you missed the point earlier) and then we get Sully giving you your wedding ring back. So the point of the game was Elena? It was certainly a part of the story, but it wasn't the main one that had been building since the beginning of the game! Sully should have died. The entire game was a lesson in dealing with his death or his absence in Drake's life! So much of the game was set pieces that the developers thought looked cool and then sloppily tried to pick back up the strings of the story later. If you're going to make a cinematic, movie-like experience, make sure your story is solid!

If you fail to comprehend the importance of the two rings in Drake's life and how they relate to all of his relationships and not solely his relationship with Elena then I'm afraid I cannot help you.

Game could have used more time getting to know the villains, who they were and what made them tick. Aside from the Queen/John Dee/Drake parallels going on

Anteater

got to chapter 18,
game seems to be more fun and easier, since you know what to do, as you won't hesitate to take down enemies or know when to take cover from new enemies waves, there would be areas that feels like I "get" what they want me to do better, like if I go down this route, I would find this gun, and if I killed these dudes and stay here, the new spawns won't affect me, etc.

I also find myself enjoying the melee more without the buttom prompts.

edit: oh and I hope ND makes a comedy story next time.

polg

Question about the treasures: if I miss one of them and I replay a chapter, the new treasures seem to count only for that save. Do i need to replay the whole game to collect the ones I missed?

I just got to chapter 13.....

Damn....
the shipyard is amazing!!

The
Talbot chase
scene is amazing. Reminds me of the start of
Quantum of Solace
. God....I hate
Talbot
. I hope he
dies a horrible death
later....
at my own hands no less!

cackhyena

Boogalogist said:
The
Talbot chase
scene is amazing. Reminds me of the start of
Quantum of Solace
. God....I hate
Talbot
. I hope he
dies a horrible death
later....
at my own hands no less!
I seriously think it's the highlight of the entire series for me. Maybe I'm forgetting a part from 2 that might beat it for me, but man, what a Bourne vibe and beautiful setting. So good, that part.

Luthos

polg said:
Question about the treasures: if I miss one of them and I replay a chapter, the new treasures seem to count only for that save. Do i need to replay the whole game to collect the ones I missed?
Well you can start a new game and it asks you if you want to keep your treasure count of the current save for the new game.

But yea you can also just chapter select to get the ones you want. And they do have a count of how many you've gotten per chapter.

XAL

My honest, no BS review

Finished this today, overall I enjoyed Uncharted 2 a lot more. I really wanted to like this game, and I thought it was going to be a lock as a contender for one of my favorite games of the year, but....well, it's not and here's my reasoning:

UC3's story wasn't as engaging despite all of the flashbacks with Sully, the villains weren't as fleshed out as they should have been, and the ending....was not good. Really disappointing.

Substance-wise, the puzzles were lacking in both quantity and quality, which was a HUGE bummer because I rather enjoyed the puzzles in UC2. The platforming is less interesting/fun overall in UC3. There are a few big very-cool set piece moments, but they aren't as well thought out and executed for gameplay by comparison to UC2.

Unfortunately, the AI is dumb as ever - and an inordinate amount of bullets are required to kill enemies - this is compounded by the fact that the aiming system somehow been changed to be slightly clunky. I did not have as huge a problem with it as in some of the videos on youtube, but it was troublesome enough to make it difficult to get much-needed headshots. As an example, the armored LMG characters can take a handful of grenades and RPGs before they die (on hard), and even if lacking in face armor they eat sniper rounds to the face like they were marshmallows. Essentially you're fighting meatbag bullet sponges with impeccable aim .

The best parts of UC3 are when you are wandering in the non-combat segments (the Tibetan Village-esque sequence is lacking in NPC interactivity sadly) and the chase sequences (chasing/being chased). This is largely in part because the art direction of this game is f***ing fantastic/gorgeous and the combat...not so much fun.

After playing Uncharted 2 I wanted to play through and get trophies and monies to unlock concept art. When I finished UC3, I had absolutely no desire to play through it again.

This is me just being honest, but I was disappointed with the quality of the game across the board (minus the art direction). It felt like they put all of their energy into the large set piece moments and co-op/multiplayer, while putting story, level design, and gameplay on the backburner only to never really flesh them out in the end.

I sadly recommend UC3 as a rental, it's gorgeous to look at and run around it - not so much to play. Am sad panda.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
XAL said:
My honest, no BS review

Substance-wise, the puzzles were lacking in both quantity and quality, which was a HUGE bummer because I rather enjoyed the puzzles in UC2.

Lacking in quantity I agree with, but the chess board one and the mural one were excellent.

Mural one with torch. (Don't read if you haven't done)

For ages I was trying to piece the dismembered person together looking for arms and legs, took me awhile to suss that I needed to make up the shadow of the attacker as there were no hints. Great puzzle.

XAL

Gen X said:
Lacking in quantity I agree with, but the chess board one and the mural one were excellent.

Mural one with torch. (Don't read if you haven't done)

For ages I was trying to piece the dismembered person together looking for arms and legs, took me awhile to suss that I needed to make up the shadow of the attacker as there were no hints. Great puzzle.

Yeah, the torch one was pretty damn cool. But I finished it in under 30 seconds, I was like "was it really that easy?..." :| The mural one was really neat, with how you figured out the placement.

I can't emember the chess one right now...and I played this whole thing yesterday/today - can you refresh my memory on that one?

The cog one was...I don't even know why that was in there. One of the lamest busywork puzzles I've ever seen in a game.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I'm so fucking tired of being a villain in the Multiplayer. If you're partied up, you'll always be a villain 99% of the time. The people with the most party members will always be the villains. The only time where I can even play as a hero is when I play solo. Fix this shit, ND. Make it like UC2...you know, random.

Pranay

Puzzles were quitee awesome and much better then UC 2 :|

and it had more puzzles then uc2 and better puzzles then uc2

XAL said:
Yeah, the torch one was pretty damn cool. But I finished it in under 30 seconds, I was like "was it really that easy?..." :| The mural one was really neat, with how you figured out the placement.

I can't emember the chess one right now...and I played this whole thing yesterday/today - can you refresh my memory on that one?

The cog one was...I don't even know why that was in there. One of the lamest busywork puzzles I've ever seen in a game.

Chess was where you had rearrange set pieces so they are in the right places, as if it's actually on a chess board, but not. Keeping it vague to minimize spoiler

XAL

BeautifulMemory said:
Chess was where you had rearrange set pieces so they are in the right places, as if it's actually on a chess board, but not. Keeping it vague to minimize spoiler

Was that the one that was fixed to the wall? with the 4 squares?

If so, which one was the mural one?

The knights one was meh as well.

Lingitiz

Pranay_ said:
Puzzles were quitee awesome and much better then UC 2 :|

and it had more puzzles then uc2 and better puzzles then uc2
Yeah I actually enjoyed the puzzles alot more than UC2. They were simple and interesting enough for a nice diversion from the platforming/shooting. The clues in the journal were also a lot more vague than those in UC2. It was basically just copy the solution from the book in UC2.

Reclaimer

Just finished at 9 hours playtime. Very good game, with great (ok, fucking amazing) art.

For me, if UC2 was a solid 9.5, UC3 fluctuates between an 7 and an 10. Every gamer really should play both 2 and 3 if only to get to those few moments of pure gold.

However ... Somewhere between Jak and Daxter 1 and Uncharted 3 Naughty Dog lost its touch in making it feel great simply controlling a character's movement. Or they don't give a shit about that anymore. Either reason makes me sad.

XAL

Lingitiz said:
Yeah I actually enjoyed the puzzles alot more than UC2. They were simple and interesting enough for a nice diversion from the platforming/shooting. The clues in the journal were also a lot more vague than those in UC2. It was basically just copy the solution from the book in UC2.

For puzzles...simple is not good. If you don't have to think more than 5 seconds before finding the solution, it's just lazy design.

Reclaimer said:
For me, if UC2 was a solid 9.5, UC3 fluctuates between an 7 and an 10. Every gamer really should play both 2 and 3 if only to get to those few moments of pure gold.

For me UC2 was like a 8.5 - 9, UC3 somewhere between a 6 and an 8.

Stealthing the big encounter in Chapter 16 is awesome.

One thing I noticed on my treasure playthrough is that there are certain times where the game takes away whatever weapons you currently have and replaces them with shitty ones because ND thinks that since I was smart enough to save all the power weapons for the next encounter, that it would be unfair to the cheap AI's if I slapped their shit with a few RPG's.

Unbelievable.

BeeDog

BeeDog said:
Some co-op adventure spoilers:

Fun stuff, the fifth level where you fight all the old baddies was surprisingly cool.
But I was wondering, was there any truth in that
clown horde
that was discussed before the game was released?

Anyone?

Pranay

XAL said:
For puzzles...simple is not good. If you don't have to think more than 5 seconds before finding the solution, it's just lazy design.

For me UC2 was like a 8.5 - 9, UC3 somewhere between a 6 and an 8.

many did think more then 5 seconds

XAL said:
Yeah I mixed them up, so the chessboard one was the wall square thing?

at least that's how I think of it

and tbh...that was the one where I completely had no idea what to solve the puzzle. I knew how, but I couldn't get it to work like I think how it was supposed to, so the game solved it for me lol

Trick_GSF

Banned
Just arrived at chapter 12 on crushing. Everything else has been a breeze, but I have a feeling that is going to change.

Gonna be interesting...

Anteater

EloquentM said:
just completed that
ballroom on crushing. piece of cake.

Yea was surprisingly easy knowing the spawns, pretty much just shotgunned the entire thing, other than the dudes on the balcony

Trick_GSF said:
Just arrived at chapter 12 on crushing. Everything else has been a breeze, but I have a feeling that is going to change.

Gonna be interesting...

It's actually the easiest of the 3 games, didn't get much harder later, at ch20 so far, the only thing that made it difficult was avoiding the waves, knowing when and where they spawn made some of the areas a breeze. Well and the smaller areas with the rocket guys if you start off with crap guns.

polg

Luthos said:
Well you can start a new game and it asks you if you want to keep your treasure count of the current save for the new game.

But yea you can also just chapter select to get the ones you want. And they do have a count of how many you've gotten per chapter.

does doing them by choosing chapters work towards achieving trophies?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
XAL said:

The cog one was annoying
purely because while I was moving all the cogs in front of the puzzle Elena tells me about one up on the ledge before I get a chance to check out the whole area. That pretty much gives away the puzzle as you see the cogs through that image enhance thing
which takes me back to one of my previous complaints about too many tips too fast and not letting you work it out.

The chess one...
was the one with the symbols on the floor that changed depending which angle you looked at them
. Nice effect. =)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
XAL said:

But the puzzles in both Drake's Fortune and Among Thieves, cerebrally speaking, require nothing more of the player than to look in Drake's journal for the solution, and it's not as though they were particularly challenging even without the answer book.

Chris_C

This has probably been asked a few times already:

How do you switch the side the camera rests on when zoomed in? It used to be R3 I think. I can't see why they'd remove something like that...

Loudninja

Chris_C said:
This has probably been asked a few times already:

How do you switch the side the camera rests on when zoomed in? It used to be R3 I think. I can't see why they'd remove something like that...
You have to turn it on in the options menu.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Loudninja said:
You have to turn it on in the options menu.
Oh weird, I thought they removed that. Why would it be optional?

Anteater

Rez said:
Oh weird, I thought they removed that. Why would it be optional?

I think because sprint is on L3 or something for MP, maybe they wanted to avoid confusion, but I don't know for sure (actually never tried sprinting and playing a MP game other than coop lol)

Madrical

Banned
Just finished it. Really disappointed, I hate to say. IGN gave it a 10/10, really?

Yes, the engine is really impressive, the graphics are beautiful. But the gameplay was no where near as enjoyable, and the story wasn't as good as U2 -- really disappointing since it started off interesting.

But the thing that broke it for me were the encounters -- they were overly long, and you got flanked much too easily. I'm not exactly bad at video games but jeez. I played it on hard, not sure how long it took me but it didn't feel long at all.

The 'epic' moments were indeed epic, the
plane segment
was one of my favourites from all 3 games; however the ending segment was too similar (and not as good as) U2.

I did enjoy it, no doubt. It's pretty to look at, and when the encounters aren't too long it's great fun. But the endless waves of enemies pouring into an arena like area really numbed my enjoyment.

Will be buying a Vita day one for Golden Abyss, though.

jediyoshi

Must resist buying Chloe/Elena skins. Damn you ND.

Anteater said:
I think because sprint is on L3 or something for MP, maybe they wanted to avoid confusion, but I don't know for sure (actually never tried sprinting and playing a MP game other than coop lol)
Still kinda weird, you're only switching when you're aiming so running wouldn't be affected either way.

Trick_GSF

Banned
Anteater said:
It's actually the easiest of the 3 games, didn't get much harder later, at ch20 so far, the only thing that made it difficult was avoiding the waves, knowing when and where they spawn made some of the areas a breeze. Well and the smaller areas with the rocket guys if you start off with crap guns.

Yep. Just cleared that area. A few hairy moments, but overall not too bad.

plainr_

Right now the only thing that is stopping me from getting the Platinum is the coop/multi trophies. I just don't know which PSN account I should activate the online pass for.

Loudninja

plainr_ said:
Right now the only thing that is stopping me from getting the Platinum is the coop/multi trophies. I just don't know which PSN account I should activate the online pass for.
It does not matter, it will work on all them anyways.

Chris_C said:
Thank you. So glad it's still there.
You are welcome :)

Madrical said:
Just finished it. Really disappointed, I hate to say. IGN gave it a 10/10, really?

Yes, the engine is really impressive, the graphics are beautiful. But the gameplay was no where near as enjoyable, and the story wasn't as good as U2 -- really disappointing since it started off interesting.

But the thing that broke it for me were the encounters -- they were overly long, and you got flanked much too easily. I'm not exactly bad at video games but jeez. I played it on hard, not sure how long it took me but it didn't feel long at all.

The 'epic' moments were indeed epic, the
plane segment
was one of my favourites from all 3 games; however the ending segment was too similar (and not as good as) U2.

I did enjoy it, no doubt. It's pretty to look at, and when the encounters aren't too long it's great fun. But the endless waves of enemies pouring into an arena like area really numbed my enjoyment.

Will be buying a Vita day one for Golden Abyss, though.

Seconded. Finished it earlier on Hard.

The combination of the change in aiming mechanics and the overall unresponsiveness of hit detection for enemies, not to mention a few sections that were flat out cheap, really killed a lot of the excitement. That, and the overall encounters were oddly designed--some things you can take cover around, sometimes too much (so instead of roll, you just stuck on a wall), sometimes too little (everyone fire all guns and throw grenades at once!).

Really the first time that I felt like I didn't have total control of Drake.
I'll also say that way, way too much control was taken away from me during gameplay.

This is an 8/10 for me. U2's shooting and encounter designs were much, much better.

Looking everything that's happened, it really does feel like it was rushed.

Biggest gripe - Priority pickup. Quite a few times during the game, I'd try to throw back a grenade, only to pick one weap--no, the nade---no, the nade--*BOOM*

"You LOSE!" -.-

Top Bottom