• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Progmetal

Finished it, and what an awesome game it was. One of the very few games that is hard to stop playing once you start.

Thank you Naughty Dog for this great serie that Uncharted 1,2&3 is. :)

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Can we all agree that the TAU Sniper is the most worthless gun ever in the competitive MP? 3 shots to kill someone and it only has 8 clips of ammo. So terrible.

Replicant

Raonak said:
I didn't find it too hard. kill the hammer guy, he falls, I had a shotgun/pistole with me, which i used to kill the brute comming up, then dodge roll to the stairs, the hammer is there(dropped by the guy i killed) pick it up and go obliterate everyone.
Um yeah, except for the fact that killing Hammer guy does not always guarantee that his gun will fall down. And even if it does, that area is the very location where 2 armor-wearing shotgun thugs appear. 1-2 shots from them (not to mention all the laser guys still above if you haven't taken care of them), Nate is dead and you're back to wave 2, which is totally bullshit. I wouldn't mind repeating that 3rd wave only but having to repeat wave 2 as well is an exercise in frustration. And this is not my first time with Uncharted. No wonder many newcomers are turned off by the battle.

-PXG-

StarEye said:
I noticed the lack of control over Drake the very second I started playing, and I feel that it's because they overdid the amount of animations for him. He's slower and more cumbersome to move. In Drake's Fortune he's very fast and nimble, but it doesn't look so natural due to less animations and not being as fluid. It looks very gamey. In Uncharted 2, this was better, but already then he felt a little heavier, but didn't really make the game feel more unresponsive so it didn't hurt the experience one bit. In 3, there's a whole load of animatiosn for Drake, and a whole bunch of them are reactions to the environment. He doesn't turn on a dime anymore, which while it does look better, the animations feels like they're in the way rather than adding to the experience. It's not quite as fluid as in the other games either, and it doesn't really look good when Drake can't decide which animation to do next.

Less is more, sometimes.
I've noticed this since the first game. Although pretty, I don't like anything that interferes with my navigation.

Started the game and decided to just do a long marathon all night. I'm on chapter 19 now and will get some sleep and finish it up when I wake up. I'm loving the game.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Progmetal said:
Finished it, and what an awesome game it was. One of the very few games that is hard to stop playing once you start.

Thank you Naughty Dog for this great serie that Uncharted 1,2&3 is. :)

The only downside to finishing an Uncharted game... is wanting more Uncharted games at the end.

Raonak

Banned
Replicant said:
Um yeah, except for the fact that killing Hammer guy does not always guarantee that his gun will fall down. And even if it does, that area is the very location where 2 armor-wearing shotgun thugs appear. 1-2 shots from them (not to mention all the laser guys still above if you haven't taken care of them), Nate is dead and you're back to wave 2, which is totally bullshit. I wouldn't mind repeating that 3rd wave only but having to repeat wave 2 as well is an exercise in frustration. And this is not my first time with Uncharted. No wonder many newcomers are turned off by the battle.

Every time i killed him the hammer appeared.
Also, by the time you kill the hammer guy and the brute, the shotgun guys had come more near the front of the ballroom, usually on the right side, head left way and you have nothing to worry about except rouge bullets and the snipers.

Once you grab the hammer, you continue on to the door area right at the back. Theres cover there and it's under the balconony meaning no-one above can shoot.

vola. hammer the shotgun guys (2-3 shots each) kill the rest easily.

Kagari said:
The only downside to finishing an Uncharted game... is wanting more Uncharted games at the end.
that said, I really don't think Golden Abyss will ever top this one in term of set pieces etc. Bend will have to try to upped U3 in some other area, I hope the exploration, puzzles and combat is great in that one. because they're not gonna beat U3 in scale and set pieces

Anteater

Just beat it on crushing,
think my favorite area was something between the boat and the air port, I didn't really like the combat as much in this game mostly to do with the scripted enemy spawns, sure they were in 2 but I thought they were designed a little better there and improved over the first game, I also liked the map designs there a bit more, making it a bit more fun to "explore" and try out different strategies due to more area to move around without being exposed to enemies that're placed at a far distance.

In UC3, you're a bit restricted due to the enemies placement where you would be "bottlenecked" to a small zone because you won't have enough room to avoid snipers/grenade launchers, it is also best not to walk ahead because enemies will always close up on you. The best example is the very last area and the last area in Syria, where if you walk to far ahead, you are exposed to enemies at a higher/lower elevation, in the last area, they replace them with rocket guys, not to mention for the more linear maps, the 2nd waves make it a bit annoying because more snipers would spawn on top or at a place you couldn't see when you think you're done with them, makes the battle a bit messy.

Overall I think the AI design and map design resembles UC1 a lot except they're bigger and a little more dynamic, I would rate UC3 about the same as UC1, similar design, with some improvements but 3 lacked balance and polish. It's a bit fun in a "oh this is the most optimal way to beat this level" kind of way, like a puzzle that you need to figure out, but there's also a bit less room for improvising.

Meisadragon said:
It's the same thing with Demon's Souls/Dark Souls. Your second playthrough will be incredibly easier compared to first because you know how to deal with the enemies. And how have they simplified the gameplay? The platforming is the same as it was in the first two games. In fact, the gameplay is a lot more dynamic here. It's all about adapting to the situation. Uncharted 2 was a lot tougher than this game on higher difficulties, I didn't see anyone complaining then.

indeed. hanging back in cover and picking out enemies one by one is the biggest snoozefest in the history of gaming. i'm glad ND is better than that.

aggressive enemies ftw.

You know, I think the over-animated, lack of control complaints (that even I, myself, had made) aren't valid once you play the game through again. ND probably tested that shit for so long it felt natural. And it's true, my second time through feels just right. I realize why it controls the way it does and why he animates the way he does. Feels good, man.

Although hands reaching to touch invisible walls is a little wonky.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Callibretto said:
that said, I really don't think Golden Abyss will ever top this one in term of set pieces etc. Bend will have to try to upped U3 in some other area, I hope the exploration, puzzles and combat is great in that one. because they're not gonna beat U3 in scale and set pieces

Having played Golden Abyss at E3 and spoken with the developers at Bend, I have high hopes. I do think we might see a bit more emphasis on exploration in it too, based on what I played, which was amazing.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
You know, I think the over-animated, lack of control complaints (that even I, myself, had made) aren't valid once you play the game through again. ND probably tested that shit for so long it felt natural. And it's true, my second time through feels just right. I realize why it controls the way it does and why he animates the way he does. Feels good, man.

after I get the hang of his animation, I can expect how he will animates no matter what direction or action you input, when I can feel to have perfect control of Drake again.

Kagari said:
Having played Golden Abyss at E3 and spoken with the developers at Bend, I have high hopes. I do think we might see a bit more emphasis on exploration in it too, based on what I played, which was amazing.

it's not rare for the portable version of game is better than the console version. I know some people prefer Peace Walker, Resistance PSP, Ghost of Sparta, better than the console counterpart. if Golden Abyss can have better exploration and puzzles, I can see some people will like it better than U3 even if it will lack U3 setpieces and scale

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Augemitbutter said:
indeed. hanging back in cover and picking out enemies one by one is the biggest snoozefest in the history of gaming. i'm glad ND is better than that.

aggressive enemies ftw.
Yup, I'm glad they designed the game this way.

Anteater

Think I'll get the rest of the trophies (if I feel like doing them) and treasures when the patch comes out, probably do some sight seeing, fuck yeah.

Replicant

Raonak said:
Every time i killed him the hammer appeared.
Also, by the time you kill the hammer guy and the brute, the shotgun guys had come more near the front of the ballroom, usually on the right side, head left way and you have nothing to worry about except rouge bullets and the snipers.

Once you grab the hammer, you continue on to the door area right at the back. Theres cover there and it's under the balconony meaning no-one above can shoot.

vola. hammer the shotgun guys (2-3 shots each) kill the rest easily.
Tried to do it four times like that and each time, after Hammer guy fell, I'd try to look for his gun. But before I could find it, those shotgun jokers appear there and double flanked me. They appear in tandem when the snipers and hammer climbed up the crates.

In the end I could only grab the shotgun and run to the back right away. Threw some grenades, which luckily killed one of the shotgun thugs. Then I had to melee the other shotgun guy in behind crates so sniper laser thugs couldn't shoot me. Then I could just headshotted the sniper. Either way, this battle was ridiculously cheap thanks to how it nerf your stronger weapons and give you crap ones if you have to restart the wave.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
mr. puppy said:
yeah i saw, its just frustrating that this game is hyped beyond belief and the controls are absolutely horrible. the AI on the enemies bugging out everytime there is a firefight is even worse. i really really don't understand why people love this game except for the cinematics of it.

Because some people are able to get used to the controls? I know I was. Perhaps try playing on an easier mode if you're having a hard time with the fights? Normal is definitely harder than it should be.

mr. puppy

Banned
Kagari said:
Because some people are able to get used to the controls? I know I was. Perhaps try playing on an easier mode if you're having a hard time with the fights? Normal is definitely harder than it should be.

so you're fine with the glitch enemy AI, incredibly unresponsive controls when jumping during chase scenes or whatever, or even the fact that in order to move to a new event (usually pushing triangle) you have to move around the door or device or whatever for a few seconds in order to get the stupid angle that the developers decided was needed to move forward?

Kagari said:

Despite all the hoopla about the aiming, by the middle of the game it was (sort of) a non-issue to me and I got used to it, although I did test out Chapter 4 in Uncharted 2 a little bit and yeah, so good.

I caved in yesterday and DLed the OST from iTunes.

The music has always been my favorite thing about this series.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Why is this game art? It's beautiful, but the mechanics don't meld with the themes in any particularly special way. I think if you want games to be art, they should be art in a way that is different from the way movies are art, and this game, at best, seems to be getting closer to games being movies.

I have to say, after my first playthrough I have a really negative impression of the combat design. I was constantly getting attacked from off-screen by shotguns and grenades.

Some people used to complain about the previous Uncharted games, saying enemies spawn behind you and you have no way of anticipating this, and I always thought they were overstating it quite a bit. But in this game, Naughty Dog made those dreams a reality.

Also, especially in the last 3rd of the game or so, I never know whether the game wants me to stay in cover (as might be surmised from the accurate and dangerous enemy fire from every direction) or whether they want me to run all over the combat area, despite not knowing who I might run into (as is implied by the placement of good weapons on the other side of the battlefield).

Sometimes I even DID wish for a crouch button, as the infamous AV Club reviewer noted, because I'd try to get into low cover but it would stick to the tall cover right next to it, leaving me standing in the way of gunfire.
This is a late reply but I wanted to expand on my comment.

During the
desert walk, we slowly watch our character dying of thirst and overheating. All of this could have been a cutscene. But as we as players grit our teeth just to trudge through, imagine the anguish of the character. On top of that, I'm sure the good majority of people have broken their jaws oogling at the scenery which contrasts what is actually happening to Drake. We admire the beauty that is basically the cause of Drake's suffering.
Kind of artful if you ask me.

Loudninja

mr. puppy said:
yeah i saw, its just frustrating that this game is hyped beyond belief and the controls are absolutely horrible. the AI on the enemies bugging out everytime there is a firefight is even worse. i really really don't understand why people love this game except for the cinematics of it.
Because not everyone feels the same way?

Also why do you care what others think?

mr. puppy said:
so you're fine with the glitch enemy AI, incredibly unresponsive controls when jumping during chase scenes or whatever, or even the fact that in order to move to a new event (usually pushing triangle) you have to move around the door or device or whatever for a few seconds in order to get the stupid angle that the developers decided was needed to move forward?
What are you going on about?

The controls for the platforming are just fine.

Pranay

mr. puppy said:

Your overblowing this -__-

The game has slight aiming issue thats it

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
mr. puppy said:

I didn't have many glitches in my playthrough. The jumping controls feel very similar to UC2, which I was just playing last night, but again, as I said, they're releasing a patch soon and for you it might be worth waiting for. Everything else you're complaining about was present in the other games, so it's not nothing new. Uncharted as a series is heavily scripted, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that for what they're going for.

Gooster said:
Despite all the hoopla about the aiming, by the middle of the game it was (sort of) a non-issue to me and I got used to it, although I did test out Chapter 4 in Uncharted 2 a little bit and yeah, so good.

And yeah, by the time I got so far into the game, aiming, melee, enemy AI... I was just used to it, and able to figure things out rather quickly. My second playthrough is going much smoother as well.

Meisadragon said:
This is available on PSN as well, right?

Yes.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
For people having trouble with the AI... my strategy was always take out the nearest and enemy with the most threat to you first. IE, if someone has a grenade launcher, you'd better get rid of him first. Obviously next, would be the armored shotgun carrying enemies, followed by the normal ones. It's really not that difficult.

Mikey Jr. said:
So what do you guys think?

Uncharted 4? Will it happen?

Of course it will.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not convinced Naughty Dog will jump right back on the Uncharted-ship after the way they ended this game, coupled with the eensiest bit of franchise fatigue setting in. At least, I'm not sure there will be another one of these in 2013. Surely those guys have a bunch of other ideas that wouldn't fit into an Uncharted game ready to explode out of them, at this point.

Facism

one of the things that really annoyed me in U3 was checkpoints at the start of fights. Sometimes they were just completely fucking unfair. The cruise ship for instance, once the lazer sighted tossers turn up on the upper balcony.

When i died, i had a MAG 5 and the ak-74u. When the game loaded the checkpoint, it gave me the para 5 and the sawn off shotty. I mean come the fuck on. Swarmed by armoured tossers with snipers watching over whilst carrying close range bollocks weapons.

hsukardi

Facism said:
one of the things that really annoyed me in U3 was checkpoints at the start of fights. Sometimes they were just completely fucking unfair. The cruise ship for instance, once the lazer sighted tossers turn up on the upper balcony.

When i died, i had a MAG 5 and the ak-74u. When the game loaded the checkpoint, it gave me the para 5 and the sawn off shotty. I mean come the fuck on. Swarmed by armoured tossers with snipers watching over whilst carrying close range bollocks weapons.

Yep, shit design is shit design.

Love how completely neutral players keep pouring in NOW and talk about the issues they have with the game with regular defenders like Kagari still making excuses for Naughty Dog. Look, I am a big fan of Sony and Naughty Dog as well and only own the PS3, but U3 really has some serious problems.

Listening to Uncharted 1's Nate's Theme now.. damn, it's a really romantic theme and the arrangement on the start menu of U3 doesn't measure up too.

hamchan

Facism said:

The para 5 is good at any range.

jett

D-Member
Gooster said:

The track from chapter 3 is missing. OST fail.

Mikey Jr. said:
So what do you guys think?

Uncharted 4? Will it happen?

I'd like them to have a crack at an open world game. I think a GTA type UC set in a Central Asian city in the midst of a revolution would be cool, with different missions and objectives, exploration and puzzles to push the story, stealth and platforming to steal objects or obtain relics, combat, vehicles etc. You could have all the mechanics of an Uncharted game with more freedom. Would be a mammoth task though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
jett said:
The track from chapter 3 is missing. OST fail.
That's the only track other than the main theme that I actually remember, and it's not there?!

(we're talking about the awesome chase music, right?)

Top Bottom