• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

tigerin

Gen X said:
Isn't funny how before the game was released and Eurogamer gave it an 8 people started wondering if it was a troll to get more hits since many other places gave it 9s and 10s. Game comes out and people start pointing out problems and how the game isn't quite their GOTY.

For me personally UC3 is the best of the series and worst of the series. The story telling, some of the dialogue and the set pieces were out of this world. The gun play mechanics felt the worst to me and I dreaded every single gun battle. Couldn't wait for them to be over.

Finished the game on my first play through on Hard in 9 1/2hrs with 58 Artifacts found. Really not sure if I am going to bother Crushing with this one as I found the shooting scenes incredibly frustrating. Crushing would just tip me over the edge.

wtf? lol

btw, it's still higher than a 8/10 imo. unless gears of war 3 gets a 7 from eurogamer. i don't think giving uncharted 3 an 8 was fair.

gdt

cackhyena said:
I seriously can't believe what I'm reading here. Gonna leave it, though. This is the U3 thread, after all.

While I find the Batman combat excellent, it's always called out as the series's main weakness. Like, the number one thing. Weird that you've never seen it.

tigerin

brandonh83 said:
Eh I've already explained my thoughts to the best of my ability. Some will agree, some not... I just did not like Lazarevic at all, nor the way that boss fight was set up.

But I'll try one more time I guess, a bit more bluntly even:

I thought it was more thrilling and satisfying dodging Talbot's knife attacks and beating him to a pulp while the city collapsed, and then the way it ended with you climbing back up and delivering the final shots before he kills Sully was just fucking badass. Way cooler than running around like a dumbass shooting random explosive shit while trying to take down a cardboard cutout bald space marine villain

you like god of war series? i think that game does a better job with the
quick time events.

calder

I'm maybe halfway through and my main thought is "oh my god this is gorgeous". I love architecture and good level visual design and UC3 is basically constant bliss for my eyes. Every level I think "this can't look cooler" and then it does, just utterly bonkers. And the characters look so amazing, I really can't believe how good *everything* looks. Easily one of the best looking games I've ever played, likely helped by the fact that ND seems to have read my mind about locales and environments I love the look of and made a game about nothing else lol.

Also on the plus side - I love the characters and the story so much. I'm surprised how often the little touches crack me up, Drake's tiniest gestures sometimes have me laughing out loud as does the interplay between the actors. Set pieces, cinematics, propulsive storytelling... insane marks all around, just as I'd expect from ND.

Minuses... the controls have never been the strong suit of the series and while in U1 and 2 they were certainly "good enough" in 2011 this isn't quite the case anymore. U3 really suffers from having a melee system in a shooting game that comes out a few weeks after Arkham City showed off probably the best melee combat any action/adventure game has ever had that I can think of. It's not a total apples-to-apples comparison because Batman is not a shooter at it's core but U3 also suffers from still having some janky controls surfacing during platforming. It's a shame, but at least it gives ND something to shoot for in U4 - a totally revamped control scheme maybe. While I'm wandering around the levels with my mouth wide open stunned at the quality of the surroundings and laughing at how much fun I'm having listening to the characters interact ("she's still wearing it!") only to have Nate fail to jump on a ladder twice in a row... it's unfortunate. ;P I guess it's a function of the player animations not quite being up to par with the rest of the game too.

Anyway, this is still one of my favourite games of the year, it's just a pity that a few elements don't match the "holy shit so good" factor that much of it does. Oh and as far as the shooting goes I think I know what ppl are talking about with the weird 'dead zone' issue but it's not a big problem for me, maybe because I'm playing on hard.

tigerin

gdt5016 said:
While I find the Batman combat excellent, it's always called out as the series's main weakness. Like, the number one thing. Weird that you've never seen it.

you serious? the game has freaking challenge maps just for combats.

LordK

Hey a quick question since I don't want to start the single player quite yet. Are all online options/levels available without making progress in the single player?

cackhyena

gdt5016 said:
That's because there is nothing to see. Trust me, you are in the minority here.

tigerin said:
quick time events.

Okay, here's the difference.

In God of War, you're waiting for QTE prompts to appear. This is annoying as fuck because even if you destroy an enemy, if you miss that QTE prompt, you have to weaken the enemy again.

In Uncharted 3, sure, you're limited to hitting and dodging, but at least it's incorporated into the combat in an organic fashion. You don't attack an enemy, weaken them, and hope that you get the QTE right. You strike and evade. It felt natural to me.

It wasn't anything complex, but the biggie for me was that it wasn't annoying or cheap. To me. I felt like I was actually in control of the fights.

Greg

brandonh83 said:
The way the combat is executed has some similarities. But yeah I agree.

Anyway I still cannot get over how well the cutscenes in this game are directed and how fantastic the performances are. There were a few scenes, a few shots that managed to stumble out of being "videogame like" and more film like in nature. Just ridiculously natural.
Yeah, they really were incredible - especially the facial animations. The one scene that really stuck out to me as a great performance all around was at the end of chapter 15.

spoilers, obviously:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUw1mWrJYZ8#t=9m20s

tigerin

btw, didn't drake and elena
has a son? wtf happen to him/her? i didn't even know they separated in the first place.

tigerin said:
quick time events.

Those work in GoW because the series is so over the top. It allows them to do insane shit during the QTE's. That really wouldn't work in Uncharted.
End boss fights for Uncharted are difficult simply because it's usually turned out to be human vs. human. Lazarevich was the one exception, and I think that fight is seen as the worst in the series.

It'll be interesting to see what Sony Bend does with their end boss in Golden Abyss.

Greg said:
Yeah, they really were incredible - especially the facial animations. The one scene that really stuck out to me as a great performance all around was at the end of chapter 15.

Yep that one and the very first number of scenes with her. Just pure insanity.

tigerin

brandonh83 said:
Okay, here's the difference.

In God of War, you're waiting for QTE prompts to appear. This is annoying as fuck because even if you destroy an enemy, if you miss that QTE prompt, you have to weaken the enemy again.

In Uncharted 3, sure, you're limited to hitting and dodging, but at least it's incorporated into the combat in an organic fashion. You don't attack an enemy, weaken them, and hope that you get the QTE right. You strike and evade. It felt natural to me.

huh?
when you fight talbot, what you are really doing is waiting for him to stab you by hovering over the triangle button. that's even worse than god of war because you're already know what button to press. basically what i did was "square, square, square, then get into a fight sequence and tap triangle."

well, they only do the quick time events in boss fights. most of the time you do combos in god of war, unless you choose to do it.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
tigerin said:

I explained why I thought it was the best and worst. Story telling, set pieces and some of the puzzles too etc were amazing. Gun mechanics ruined it for me personally though as I felt it was the worst of the three in that department. It just felt finicky and unsatisfying.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Darknessbear said:
I'm sort of new to this whole, big release on GAF thing. Is it the norm to have such heavy negative posters this early on? I understand wanting to voice everything about the game, the good and the bad. But those that just come here and say 1-2 lines of negative things and leave. I'm guessing I'm alone, but I feel if a game just came out - and a lot of people are enjoying it (yet I did not). I probably wouldn't go in just to slander it. Is this common to GAF with every big release? Or just an internet thing?
Really think you're overstating the negativity in this thread. Most of the supposed negative posts basically amount to saying, "This is my least favorite Uncharted game", which is along the lines of remarking about your least favorite dessert. Uncharted 1 and 2 were just that good.

Fletcher

Here is the issue with Drake's Deception (and I am just going to talk about the story), it makes no sense (don't read unless you've beaten the game):

The beginning starts with some fun sequences of Drake in London, running around being Drake-y. Then we get the flashback sequences in Columbia where the relationship with Sully is first established. From here we get the sense that this story is going to be about their relationship. The story goes on with typical Drake banter and wit, beginning with the oh-shit-Drakes-not-dead return to present and ending with Drake getting captured by the pirates. So now Drake is on a pirate ship. For some reason.... It would have been ok if we were dealing with any kind of issues or story lines during this non-stop barrage of pirates shooting you, but we're not. The only reason Drake is pursuing the Pirate overlord is because the guy "oh yeah we have Sully" well alright cue 8 billion chapters of technical show piece. Alright moving on. Drake is in the 'Atlantis of the Sands' and is tripping balls because Sully is dead. He flails around the level shooting people and genie-monsters with a dead-sully induced rage. Long story short: the old lady falls into a box of quicksand and her right hand boy-toy shouts angrily. What was on between them? not important. So the dude with the magical voodoo darts has a knife fight with you. Then you and Sully make it out. Then we have this really nice moment about Sully being basically your father (in case you missed the point earlier) and then we get Sully giving you your wedding ring back. So the point of the game was Elena? It was certainly a part of the story, but it wasn't the main one that had been building since the beginning of the game! Sully should have died. The entire game was a lesson in dealing with his death or his absence in Drake's life! So much of the game was set pieces that the developers thought looked cool and then sloppily tried to pick back up the strings of the story later. If you're going to make a cinematic, movie-like experience, make sure your story is solid!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
brandonh83 said:
Eh I've already explained my thoughts to the best of my ability. Some will agree, some not... I just did not like Lazarevic at all, nor the way that boss fight was set up.

I thought it was more thrilling and satisfying dodging Talbot's knife attacks and beating him to a pulp while the city collapsed, and then the way it ended with you climbing back up and delivering the final shots before he kills Sully was just fucking badass. Way cooler than running around like a dumbass shooting random explosive shit while trying to take down a cardboard cutout bald space marine villain
Narratively, I get it.

I was defending the melee combat emphasis for the same reason :p

But in both cases, I wonder if gameplay suffers.

tigerin said:
huh?
when you fight talbot, what you are really doing is waiting for him to stab you by hovering over the triangle button. that's even worse than god of war because you're already know what button to press. basically what i did was "square, square, square, then get into a fight sequence and tap triangle."

Maybe you're just simply better at it than I am. I just know that when I did that on crushing, I actually had to get into it and be aggressive with it. And I found that to be very fun.

BocoDragon said:
Narratively, I get it.

I was defending the melee combat emphasis for the same reason :p

But in both cases, I wonder if gameplay suffers.

Yeah. When I went into Uncharted 3, my two big things were that it had to have a better, more focused story than Uncharted 2. It did. Second was that it have a more interesting set of villains and a satisfying final boss fight. Again, I thought it did.

I'm not calling it the best gameplay ever, I'm just saying that for what it set out to do, combined with the cinematic nature of the series, I thought it was a success.

beast786

Uncharted has always been the game that is greater than sum of its parts. Its not the best platformer, best puzzle design, cover system, best shooting, best weapons etc etc.

But it adds its own twist to each one of them. Its unique platforming/shooting but best in the business of cinematic shots with caring characters and story to put you on edge and makes you smile.

I can see how people who are not happy at each of the category might have a gripe against uncharted, and rightfully so. But as a package its above all of them for me.

Uncharted replaced God of War for me in this Gen. I love story , amazing battles set pieces with platforming and puzzle.

To me ND kind of perfect what Santa Monica did in God of war.

EDIT: I also want to mention. How amazing art is in Uncharted series. If anyone knows anything about these cultures, you will really , really appreciate the art. Right down to every single part of the city.

gdt

Fletcher said:
Here is the issue with Drake's Deception (and I am just going to talk about the story), it makes no sense (don't read unless you've beaten the game):

The beginning starts with some fun sequences of Drake in London, running around being Drake-y. Then we get the flashback sequences in Columbia where the relationship with Sully is first established. From here we get the sense that this story is going to be about their relationship. The story goes on with typical Drake banter and wit, beginning with the oh-shit-Drakes-not-dead return to present and ending with Drake getting captured by the pirates. So now Drake is on a pirate ship. For some reason.... It would have been ok if we were dealing with any kind of issues or story lines during this non-stop barrage of pirates shooting you, but we're not. The only reason Drake is pursuing the Pirate overlord is because the guy "oh yeah we have Sully" well alright cue 8 billion chapters of technical show piece. Alright moving on. Drake is in the 'Atlantis of the Sands' and is tripping balls because Sully is dead. He flails around the level shooting people and genie-monsters with a dead-sully induced rage. Long story short: the old lady falls into a box of quicksand and her right hand boy-toy shouts angrily. What was on between them? not important. So the dude with the magical voodoo darts has a knife fight with you. Then you and Sully make it out. Then we have this really nice moment about Sully being basically your father (in case you missed the point earlier) and then we get Sully giving you your wedding ring back. So the point of the game was Elena? It was certainly a part of the story, but it wasn't the main one that had been building since the beginning of the game! Sully should have died. The entire game was a lesson in dealing with his death or his absence in Drake's life! So much of the game was set pieces that the developers thought looked cool and then sloppily tried to pick back up the strings of the story later. If you're going to make a cinematic, movie-like experience, make sure your story is solid!

BEST SUMMARY EVER.

I lol'd at this:

and then we get Sully giving you your wedding ring back. So the point of the game was Elena?

calder

btkadams said:
i'm only on chapter 10, but i totally agree. it's so rad how you can tell very subtle facial changes when a character is reacting to someone else talking. it's so awesome.
The acting and directing is great, but a shout out to the writing too. Over the first two games we got to know the characters so well, and the dialogue is pitch perfect IMO. Just love the way you get caught up on what happened to the relationships between all the leads after U2 by the bits of dialogue here and there.

btkadams said:
i'm only on chapter 10, but i totally agree. it's so rad how you can tell very subtle facial changes when a character is reacting to someone else talking. it's so awesome.

It also shows that you don't need the LA Noire tech to have impressive facial animations. You just need really good animators.

tigerin

SolidSnakex said:
Those work in GoW because the series is so over the top. It allows them to do insane shit during the QTE's. That really wouldn't work in Uncharted.
End boss fights for Uncharted are difficult simply because it's usually turned out to be human vs. human. Lazarevich was the one exception, and I think that fight is seen as the worst in the series.

It'll be interesting to see what Sony Bend does with their end boss in Golden Abyss.

u just admitted yourself, quick time events didn't work really well with this game.

and i don't know what you're talking about, the boss fight in uncharted 2 was good and memorable. i even know the guy's name and how he look after 2 years of beating it. that doesn't happen to me a lot for most games. and from what uncharted was before, you would expect them
to bring in some superficial shits near the end. but this game didn't, the ghost rider imitators was just the effects of the water.

tbh, i don't even remember who was the boss in uncharted one lol.

btw,
i was expecting talbot to be a secondary boss like harry flynn and marlowe to be like lazarevic. talbot doesn't seems suit to be a final boss.

Agentnibs

Just finished the game a couple of minutes ago. All in all I thought it was good game, graphics are of course amazing and the levels were really well done. That being said, I have never fallen in love with the uncharted series and U3 still hasn't changed that.

Seafood Soup

Neo Member
Easy GOTY, I don't think anything can touch this. I still like the campaign in U2 better, but wow, ND are really in a league of their own.

FHIZ

Finally beat it. Despite all my gripes with the bs difficulty spikes, I love these characters, and it was a fun ride. Kinda disappointed that
Chloe and Cutter fell off the face of the earth
though.

tigerin

Gen X said:
I explained why I thought it was the best and worst. Story telling, set pieces and some of the puzzles too etc were amazing. Gun mechanics ruined it for me personally though as I felt it was the worst of the three in that department. It just felt finicky and unsatisfying.

i know, just the way you said "The best and the worst of the series" just sounds silly to me. lol =p

tigerin

brandonh83 said:
Maybe you're just simply better at it than I am. I just know that when I did that on crushing, I actually had to get into it and be aggressive with it. And I found that to be very fun.

maybe. i don't know how you can even stand this game on crushing tho. i played it on normal and just get frustrated with the enemies. i literally got kill by bullets coming out of random places. i didn't feel the challenge at all, i felt cheated.

tigerin said:
maybe. i don't know how you can even stand this game on crushing tho. i played it on normal and just get frustrated with the enemies. i literally got kill by bullets coming out of random places. i didn't feel the challenge at all, i felt cheated.

What's weird is that I'm not really good at videogames (at least not nearly as good as people here are) but I actually don't find crushing to be all that hard. I haven't beaten all the chapters on crushing, I've just been hitting the chapters that are probably the tougher ones to get them out of the way, and I haven't ever really felt like I experienced any cheap deaths.

There were a few times I was like oh come on, really? But when I'd try again and make a mental note of what happened the last time, I was able to get through them relatively easy.

leng jai

tigerin said:
i know, just the way you said "The best and the worst of the series" just sounds silly to me. lol =p

Makes perfect sense. In some respects this is the best Uncharted 3 - specifically the set pieces, sound design, soundtrack and voice work. Its weaker when it comes to gameplay, character banter and consistency.

BocoDragon

Fletcher said:

I definitely didn't take away that the game was about Sully.. but I think you hint well that the narrative is a little hollow. They start to hint that it may be about Drake's adventurous origins in search of his heritage, his relationship with evil lady, the marriage issue with Elena (never effectively mentioned) and yes, the backstory with Sully. But it never spells out any central relationship in the game. There's no heart to heart moment with any character, expressing love, or doubt, except about whether to continue the scary adventure or not. They hint that Drake might be fuelled by something else in his treasure lust, but never elaborate. And, I think they just had you pursuing Sully as a macguffin to keep things moving forward. Otherwise, he wasn't that important, except as a good buddy on the journey. I think it lacks a strong character core at all. It's just an ensemble piece with a bunch of characters on an adventure. A bit of token backstory is all we get. It's a little disappointing in that sense.

Agentnibs

Gen X said:
Isn't funny how before the game was released and Eurogamer gave it an 8 people started wondering if it was a troll to get more hits since many other places gave it 9s and 10s. Game comes out and people start pointing out problems and how the game isn't quite their GOTY.

For me personally UC3 is the best of the series and worst of the series. The story telling, some of the dialogue and the set pieces were out of this world. The gun play mechanics felt the worst to me and I dreaded every single gun battle. Couldn't wait for them to be over.

Finished the game on my first play through on Hard in 9 1/2hrs with 58 Artifacts found. Really not sure if I am going to bother Crushing with this one as I found the shooting scenes incredibly frustrating. Crushing would just tip me over the edge.

I pretty much agree with you. The gunfights became repetitive very quickly, and the cheap AI only made it worst. For some reason the uncharted series has always felt like a jack of all trades type of game. It acceptable does everything, but unfortunately never excels past it.

Fjordson

Fucking shit. I'm so bad at the combat. I remember doing fine in UC 2, but I'm getting my ass kicked here.

Some cheesy ass deaths occasionally, but I think it's just mostly me being terrible. Having a lot of fun, though. Second half has been way better than the first.

patsu

leng jai said:
Makes perfect sense. In some respects this is the best Uncharted 3 - specifically the set pieces, sound design, soundtrack and voice work. Its weaker when it comes to gameplay, character banter and consistency.

Character interaction is actually better in U3.

BocoDragon

brandonh83 said:
Yeah. When I went into Uncharted 3, my two big things were that it had to have a better, more focused story than Uncharted 2. It did. Second was that it have a more interesting set of villains and a satisfying final boss fight. Again, I thought it did.

I could understand Lazarevic's motivations much better.

"Evil lady" (whatshername?) was basically just a member of some powerful ancient society, with no motivation. Why is she in it? What drives her? What is the goal of her organization? Is that her personal goal or does she desire the power for other reasons? You were never told.

She was very well acted, though.

tigerin

brandonh83 said:
What's weird is that I'm not really good at videogames (at least not nearly as good as people here are) but I actually don't find crushing to be all that hard. I haven't beaten all the chapters on crushing, I've just been hitting the chapters that are probably the tougher ones to get them out of the way, and I haven't ever really felt like I experienced any cheap deaths.

There were a few times I was like oh come on, really? But when I'd try again and make a mental note of what happened the last time, I was able to get through them relatively easy.

the first half was good. i just think the inconsistency
the respawning enemies were cheap and to find out i had to look for an exit. while some other parts, i just have to kill all the enemies. it's like naughty dog's way of saying "i think our game is short this time, so we gonna bring out respawning enemies to prolong the game time."
what i noticed was the game didn't have that problem before
the shipyard chapter.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Put in UC2 for a bit... I forgot how bad the compression was during cutscenes... at least they fixed that. And then I forgot about that annoying forced stealth section in chapter 2 ;-;

Shooting is a lot smoother though. I will say that UC3 really did have a pretty big leap in graphics. It's almost jarring looking at the characters in UC2 now.

Lightning

Banned
Fletcher said:

I think it's more than Victor, Chloe and Elena had concerns that Drake was getting reckless and was endangering himself and those closest to him. Drake's motivations were a key factor in this story and imo I still don't understand what they were. Was Drake obsessed with everything Francis Drake did or was he more concerned about making sure Marlowe did get what she wanted because Drake felt he was superior?

Either way, those closest (Elena and Sully) to him didn't want him to throw everything away in what they felt were foolish motivations. The ring at the end was Sully's way of showing Nate to make the most of the greatest treasure (Elena) he has and that is what makes true greatness.

tigerin

leng jai said:

haha u're even funnier. there is only one uncharted 3. =p

KingK

I was just playing multiplayer for over 4 hours with some friends and never once got the option to play on the Dry Docks map. I've played on every other map though. Desert Village is my favorite so far.

I think i'm level 24 or something right now. Multiplayer is really addictive, especially in split screen with a friend.

tigerin

KingK said:
I was just playing multiplayer for over 4 hours with some friends and never once got the option to play on the Dry Docks map. I've played on every other map though. Desert Village is my favorite so far.

I think i'm level 24 or something right now. Multiplayer is really addictive, especially in split screen with a friend.

so they fixed most of the stuffs people complained about in the beta? i haven't got a chance to try out the mp yet.

Sean

Banned
brandonh83 said:

It sounds exciting the way you described it, but the way it played out was like every other
fist fight in the game. It may have had a greater impact if Naughty Dog didn't force us into melee combat like two dozen times earlier in the game. Plus, they already did the fist fight thing with UC1's final boss (Navarro) too.

I didn't think that fight was necessary, escaping the crumbling city was already cool enough on its own. The fight itself was not really exciting to me, maybe if there was some kind of cool context-sensitive/environmental things (bashing Talbot in the head with a rock or something) it would have felt more satisfying.

I would rather Talbot have died trying to rescue Marlowe from the quicksand and just have the end be a slightly longer escape sequence.
But the final level was much better than UC2's ending.

BocoDragon

Really, the narrative in Uncharted, the whole series, is just slightly short of greatness. I'm not even asking for much in the way of deep plotting, I just want one more half step toward a Hollywood movie narrative. It's what they're trying to go for, but falls a little short.

There needs to be more conflict... within the protagonist.... between the main characters.... There should be a scene where Drake and Elena fight, get split up for awhile by the actions of the villains, and then Drake saves her and they have a tender moment... that kind of thing!! It's not much to ask.

As is, it has the sheen of Hollywood... but the actual plot is pretty much just all adventure, all the time, punctuated by fun, shallow banter.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
KingK said:

Dry Docks isn't in the game.

Top Bottom