• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

The Chef

Kagari said:
The only downside to finishing an Uncharted game... is wanting more Uncharted games at the end.

Exactly right. Just finished on Hard. What an amazing ride that game was, but you're right, at the end I am just so bummed its over. I want more
Elana and Drake
info! Ultimately this is truly one of my all-time favorite games. It so continuously pushed the limits so beyond anything I have ever experienced since Uncharted 2. Just amazing.

Bravo ND, you have made a masterpiece.
Time for Crushing!

Jme

Rewrite said:
Can we all agree that the TAU Sniper is the most worthless gun ever in the competitive MP? 3 shots to kill someone and it only has 8 clips of ammo. So terrible.

Disagree. 1 headshot to kill and its got a sniper scope on it. This lets me keep my powerful long gun, and still have something to snipe people off with should the situation arise.

Rez said:
That's the only track other than the main theme that I actually remember, and it's not there?!

(we're talking about the awesome chase music, right?)

I'm going to have to replay Chapter 3, I suppose, and listen for the track.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I definitely got the vibe fro Uncharted 3 that Naughty Dog wanted to give the series a rest. Thematically and in content the game has a 'final' feel to it, or at least like there needs to a break. I did a good job of closing off issues between
Drake and Sir Francis Drake, Elena and Sully
. Certain thematic and visual devices also made the story feel like it had come full circle, back to the original game.

Obviously due to the success of the series Sony wont want it to go away, but I figure Naughty Dog will want to start a new IP for next generation (I assume they've already started). I wonder if Uncharted will get farmed out, much like the Vita version.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
The Chef said:
Exactly right. Just finished on Hard. What an amazing ride that game was, but you're right, at the end I am just so bummed its over. I want more
Elana and Drake
info! Ultimately this game pushed the limits so beyond anything I have ever experienced since Uncharted 2.

Bravo ND, you have made a masterpiece.
Time for Crushing!

uncharted never ends in coop mode. coop arena is like endless crack, and pretty tough as well!

hsukardi said:
Yep, shit design is shit design.

Love how completely neutral players keep pouring in NOW and talk about the issues they have with the game with regular defenders like Kagari still making excuses for Naughty Dog. Look, I am a big fan of Sony and Naughty Dog as well and only own the PS3, but U3 really has some serious problems.

Listening to Uncharted 1's Nate's Theme now.. damn, it's a really romantic theme and the arrangement on the start menu of U3 doesn't measure up too.
I haven't played Uncharted 3 but there is no way anything in Uncharted 3 is as fucked as that part in Uncharted 1 in the church near the end of the game (or a couple of the other fire fights). Not to say I have a problem with that part, but I doubt anything is harder then that in UC3 (although I think you could cheese that part).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
EatChildren said:
I definitely got the vibe fro Uncharted 3 that Naughty Dog wanted to give the series a rest. Thematically and in content the game has a 'final' feel to it, or at least like there needs to a break. I did a good job of closing off issues between
Drake and Sir Francis Drake, Elena and Sully
. Certain thematic and visual devices also made the story feel like it had come full circle, back to the original game.

Obviously due to the success of the series Sony wont want it to go away, but I figure Naughty Dog will want to start a new IP for next generation (I assume they've already started). I wonder if Uncharted will get farmed out, much like the Vita version.

The nice thing about Golden Abyss is even though Bend is working on it, they did get a lot of assets and other things from ND.

jax (old)

Banned
thuway said:
I disagree that they need to reduce the animations, but I do think they need to fix the awkwardness of some of the animation. Drake just looks stupid as he touches everything next to him. Chapter 2 was pretty bad in its animation set.

this is absolutely correct. And you know what; went to the MP game and the characters in there do not do this ... and nor do they constantly look left right like spazoids. also, in the MP game... the melee is what they had in UC2 and is SO MUCH BETTER.

I want to emphaise this point from my first day with the MP game - ND went money hungry and locked away a whole bunch of skins to the store. Right. I'm love the franchise; I love the game and I loved the hell out of UC2 but when I saw what they did with the "used to be free skins"... that coupled with the online pass... well...

COLOUR ME THE FUCK UNIMPRESSED.

MP game co-op comments.
co-op adventure is stellar
AIRCRAFTBASE LEVEL
eddie+flynn+lazarveich? as the final bosses?
That was fucking amazing. I also loved the returning levels. so good.

I thought it was more fun than the bizarro co-op 2x2 treasure chesting mode.

what's the difference btw the co-op modes in MP vs the co-op mode you pick from the main menu?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
MTMBStudios said:
I haven't played Uncharted 3 but there is no way anything in Uncharted 3 is as fucked as that part in Uncharted 1 in the church near the end of the game (or a couple of the other fire fights). Not to say I have a problem with that part, but I doubt anything is harder then that in UC3 (although I think you could cheese that part).
Man, I need to replay UC1. So many good memories.

I actually liked many of the arenas in that game, for some reason I've never been able to pin down.

The Chef

bobbytkc said:
uncharted never ends in coop mode. coop arena is like endless crack, and pretty tough as well!

Sign me up!!
I am definitely looking forward to getting in on some MP soon. But I gotta first find the other treasures I missed. I searched like a freakin MAD MAN and i still missed 30 T_T.

jax (old)

Banned
Rez said:
Man, I need to replay UC1. So many good memories.

I actually liked many of the arenas in that game, for some reason I've never been able to pin down.

well, uncharted 1 is pretty great but its hard to go back to the grenade use in that game.

Grisby

Kagari said:
The nice thing about Golden Abyss is even though Bend is working on it, they did get a lot of assets and other things from ND.
I'm really interested to see what another dev does with it. Plus, while I thought the first uncharted was pretty average I am interested to go back to a jungle like environment.

thcsquad

mr. puppy said:
so you're fine with the glitch enemy AI, incredibly unresponsive controls when jumping during chase scenes or whatever, or even the fact that in order to move to a new event (usually pushing triangle) you have to move around the door or device or whatever for a few seconds in order to get the stupid angle that the developers decided was needed to move forward?

Except for the AI, all of those minute problems were in all of the earlier Uncharted games. I only saw the AI glitch out a couple of times, it was plenty hard on normal.

With Sully
getting a new plane,
I can see a more open world game or open mission structure working for UC4.

Imagine getting wind of two key locations and you can choose which one you want to go to first via an Indy-like map with dotted lines and such. Certain areas within each location can be inaccessible until you get clues from another location which would mean multiple trips. As an example, a certain puzzle may not work until you visit another part of the world to find a key, lever, puzzle clue, etc which would require another trip. Locked within may be another clue to another location or a boat load of treasures. And this time, treasures can be sold for money to upgrade
Sully's plane to allow for further trips or for armor to make it over pirate/merc controlled territories.

Do it, ND.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Kagari said:

Yeah, I figured they would be to speed up and aid development. I suppose Naughty Dog could act as a support studio for whoever is doing Uncharted. Maybe Sony will push the game on Vita a bit if Golden Abyss is successful. Let Bend handle the portable games, and go back to a console entry after a good few years.

EatChildren said:
Yeah, I figured they would be to speed up and aid development. I suppose Naughty Dog could act as a support studio for whoever is doing Uncharted. Maybe Sony will push the game on Vita a bit if Golden Abyss is successful. Let Bend handle the portable games, and go back to a console entry after a good few years.

The inevitable reveal of UC4 as a brand new trilogy would be all the more powerful if ND lets the series rests and experiments with a new IP. Then we will all be ready for it and ND would be ready to take it in a new direction.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Was there a cool Japanese box art for this game, like Uncharted 2?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Rez said:
Was there a cool Japanese box art for this game, like Uncharted 2?

No, but I do like how it looks more so than the US one:

61fudUabJ-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Trick_GSF

Banned
Strange glitch. Can't throw grenades, even though I have 4 of the bastards lol. This started on the sandstorm part which wasn't ideal. I'm in Ubar now, playing on Crushing.

Horns

The online pass was on the back of the instruction manual for you guys? I have the insert for the Starhawk 2 beta and I got an email for the UC3 avatar, but it's blank for the online pass.

uc3code.jpg

The worst part is I ordered it directly from Sony through sonystyle.com and their customer service is a nightmare to deal with.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Horns said:
The online pass was on the back of the instruction manual for you guys? I have the insert for the Starhawk 2 beta and I got an email for the UC3 avatar, but it's blank for the online pass.

The worst part is I ordered it directly from Sony through sonystyle.com and their customer service is a nightmare to deal with.

Call the regular SCEA line and they should fix it for you.

Facism

hamchan said:
The para 5 is good at any range.

Yes it's an amazing weapon when i've got 3 armoured guys closing on me, some tosser with a hammer firing nades from up top, pair of snipers constantly watching me, 4 normal pirates with shotguns themselves and 2 more arseholes with aks.

It was completely fucked up :p

mblitek

Haven't finished yet but by god this game is damn GLORIOUS!

At first I was holy crap amazing then it petered off a bit then up then a bit worried but by Chapter 10-12? I was in awe! The colours, puzzles, voice acting, acting, orchestra, settings, twists & turns, chases, settings, detail etc it was all so astounding! I'm not even done yet! I'm at the
Boat Level
and I stopped because it was 1am and because I wanted to savour the game! Sooooooooo good!

Arne, pat your crew on the back from me!

Visceir

D6AMIA6N said:
So true. Watching movies like Raiders or Goonies when I was a kid, I loved the sense of adventure and exploration. Then when I played the first Uncharted, I was just blown away. Basically a modern Indy game. Hopefully the Tomb Raider reboot will be good. Can anyone recommend me any other similar style books or movies? I will look into The Good The Bad The Weird also.

Fools Gold kinda feels like an uncharted movie.

Atruvius

Do I have to start a new game on crushing to get the trophy, or am I fine just going through the level select?

Uncharted 4 should be about young Sully and his adventures. Keep the same VA of course.

EatChildren

BruceLeeRoy said:
The inevitable reveal of UC4 as a brand new trilogy would be all the more powerful if ND lets the series rests and experiments with a new IP. Then we will all be ready for it and ND would be ready to take it in a new direction.

I would be very much down with this.

On chapter 9.

Yeah after the strong opening I do think the game kind of petered off a bit compared to U2.

the
french mansion
was kind of dull up until the end. It just wasnt a very interesting looking place and the combat was nothing special.

The Nepalese city in uncharted 2 was alot more fun and better looking and took place at the same point in the game.

Also the combat sections near the end of Chapter 8 where a bit of a bitch. Still it was a wide open area so you had alot of room to run around and tackly things diffrently.

I do hope they sort out the stealth stuff in a uncharted 4. Basically if a guard does see you and it goes full blown combat mode that they make it possible to hide from the guards again instead of them knowing where you are until you kill them all.

Look at how the Batman games handled its stealth.

Let Drake get seen, hide again and then the guards can go into a search mode where they know drake is around but they dont know where.

Sullichin

Finished this last night on normal. What a great ride. There were a couple of pretty difficult parts near the end.

So many great moments. Naughty Dog really does deserve all the respect they can get because no one else even comes close to delivering an experience like this. The
sinking ship section was pure genius and tons of fun to play through, I loved the platforming up the sideways ship, the shootouts as it was sinking, the level before it with all of those platforms bobbing violently in the water, jumping from ship to ship... god damn
. I really loved the entire single player campaign, no complaints except for Elana's face and I kind of thought the story was going to go in a different direction but.. yeah that was so good.

Balphon said:
My favorite example of that was in the chapter at the
Airfield
where I rolled into a cutscene with a full SAS - 12 and Para 9, but left it with only a silenced pistol and four bullets. And then got thrown into a gunfight.

Yup, I had the SAS and a Tau. They're trying too hard to be "cinematic."

echothreealpha said:
I just realized the more stealth kills you get in a row, the better the weapons the enemy will drop. You'll usually get a jackhammer on the fourth stealth kill.

Edit: Oh, tip for the ship ballroom level.
Stealth kill the dude near the piano. He'll drop a jackhammer.

I have never been able to stealth-kill that guy, he always turns around when I'm right behind him, no matter what. I tried to stealth him 10 different ways, but no dice.

Rewrite said:
I finally unlocked
Young Sully
in the MP, but I never had a chance to even use him in the competitive playlists tonight because I was partied up. :lol

This is bullshit.

Yes, it is bullshit and it needs to be changed back to the U2 way of being completely random.

Especially since there are skins we pay for with the intent on using them, only to not be able to 99% of the time.

I unlocked Desert Drake last night and have only been him in 3TDM.

Kagari said:
For people having trouble with the AI... my strategy was always take out the nearest and enemy with the most threat to you first. IE, if someone has a grenade launcher, you'd better get rid of him first. Obviously next, would be the armored shotgun carrying enemies, followed by the normal ones. It's really not that difficult.

It is when you have to take 5sec to line up a headshot thanks to the shitty controls, get shot in the process, and have to sit in cover doing nothing (blindfiring will still get you hit) while the enemies march/rush right to you...

I just rage quit the SP, I just hit a major plot point and now am fighting new enemies
ghost riders :p
fuck those guys! Aftter the
ship yard
level, this game gets cranked to 11 and doesn't turn it down. So many firefights, with enemies coming from behind you. So many deaths, so much dying. I need a breather. I'm slowly liking this game less and less the more i play it, but love the characters. Hopefully it's over soon.

Anteater

RyanardoDaVinci said:
It is when you have to take 5sec to line up a headshot thanks to the shitty controls, get shot in the process, and have to sit in cover doing nothing (blindfiring will still get you hit) while the enemies march/rush right to you...

That's why I just shotgun everything close :lol

It almost reminds me of Uncharted 1 when I'm fighting
mindless zombies

StuBurns

Banned
ilikesanta said:
I just rage quit the SP, I just hit a major plot point and now am fighting new enemies
ship yard
level, this game gets cranked to 11 and doesn't turn it down. So many firefights, with enemies coming from behind you. So many deaths, so much dying. I need a breather. I'm slowly liking this game less and less the more i play it, but love the characters. Hopefully it's over soon.
I didn't think that was hard, but it's literally like ten minutes anyway.

I totally think they should give ND some extra time with the next game.

Leave the next uncharted as a 2nd year ps4 game in 2014/2015.

Not sure a new IP between now and then would be a great idea ether if it means dividing the studios attention. Look how much of a balls insomniac and Zipper made of juggling 2 IP's.

Maybe they could be working on a new IP on ps3? the Naughty Dog cycle is 3 games then a racing game. Maybe the 4th game this gen is a new IP using current Uncharted tech while they have all there master coders making next gen engine stuff.

Uncharted is just way to successful now for sony to let is sleep or risk handing off the series full time to another developer. Plus SCE has new IP's in the works at most studios right now.

Gotta at least keep Uncharted and God of war around to keep those fans on board for the ps4 while Media Molecule and Gorilla and sucker punch have new IP's

Anteater

ilikesanta said:
ship yard

They're actually easier than some of the other enemies,
Just use the grenade launcher and tau sniper that's lying all around :p, only takes 2 shots with the tau sniper and you could actually pull it off before it even gets a chance to turn to ghost riders

The Chef

mblitek said:
Haven't finished yet but by god this game is damn GLORIOUS!

At first I was holy crap amazing then it petered off a bit then up then a bit worried but by Chapter 10-12? I was in awe! The colours, puzzles, voice acting, acting, orchestra, settings, twists & turns, chases, settings, detail etc it was all so astounding! I'm not even done yet! I'm at the
Boat Level
and I stopped because it was 1am and because I wanted to savour the game! Sooooooooo good!

Arne, pat your crew on the back from me!

Just you wait man. It get so much better.

ilikesanta said:
ship yard

Two shots and they are done with the TAU. But most importantly just stick with it dude.
Its actually a VERY short segment of the game.

ilikesanta said:
ship yard
Use the rocket launcher. I believe there is enough ammo to take out two of them and then just hit the last one with any assault rifle.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't expect another ND game on PS3. I think next year will be PS3's final hooray, GoW4, TLG, Sly 4, a game from Quantic Dream, a game from GG. Then all on board for PS4 hopefully.

The Chef

StuBurns said:
I don't expect another ND game on PS3. I think next year will be PS3's final hooray, GoW4, TLG, Sly 4, a game from Quantic Dream, a game from GG. Then all on board for PS4 hopefully.

If we're really on the 10 year PS3 cycle then we got 5 more years of waiting for the next uncharted...

reggie said:
Was it a BAD game? No, not at all, and in some ways it is better than UC2, but the game has too many problems.
I think the biggest problem that I listed above is it being anti climatic, it doesn't really go anyway and it just... ends. It leaves you feeling a bit cheated. I'm glad that they didn't really touch the supernatural shit this time though, always the worst parts of Uncharted games.

I can definitely understand this. I really loved the game and I really did enjoy every minute, including the final boss and ending. However
I did feel the ending could have had more substance. It did feel a bit lacking.

btkadams

The Chef said:
If we're really on the 10 year PS3 cycle then we got 5 more years of waiting for the next uncharted...
that's not what the 10 year cycle means. the ps3 will overlap with the ps4 just like the ps2/ps1.

Top Bottom